• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Dogman Or Werewolf

I find the more obscure corners of forteana fascinating. Most people think of things studied as 'paranormal' as being things not considered inherently 'unlikely'; UFOs, apemen and other prehistoric survivors, ghosts for those unable to conceive of their consciousness ending in oblivion, psychic powers for those who feel their consciousness should extend further than it seems to. Probably few ordinary people with a casual interest are aware that something akin to werewolves are still regularly reported.

Ive posted in the Cryptozoology forum asking for info. My experience goes back to two years ago in north yorkshire to what only can be described as seeing a werewolf. Im a logical person, to me they are something from horror films and science fiction and dont exists but after hearing what i heard and then seeing it - I know believe different. Ive googled ever since to see if anyone has seen anything in that area but never found anything. It's the first time Ive posted as obviuosly posting Ive seen a werewolf leave my post open to ridicule. Put it this way I wont camp out on the moors again. I went for a walk outside my motorhome and can only describe what was blood curdling howls exactly as you would imagine from a movie. I heard them to the side of me so decided to walk back to my van then the howls were in front of me so yes i started to do a fast walk then i saw the shape of something shaggy on two legs it was behind my motorhome stood up. It was about 6ft tall shaggy with glowing red eyes and stood on two legs. It was not a dog far too big . Ive had dogs all my life never heard a howl as deep or loud , plus Ive never heard my dogs howl. There was no one around for miles a pretty remote place no animals , no farm animals. It was exactly as you would imagine from the horror movies but I didnt see it close up instead I legged it as fast as i could. I saw the shape of it from a distance I heard it following me and to the side of me so it moved pretty quick. It was wandering outside my van for a while a good 20 minutes, it sounded like it was underneath. To be honest I sat in there quiet and was too scared to look out the window . No one was playing a prank. In the morning nothing , no evidence. I went to the spot where it would have been stood that where I get the estmate it was 6ft .I had lit a fire earlier outside im presuming seeing a fire in the middle of no where attracted it. It was foggy , wasnt camping season only me out there in a campervan. no foot prints around the van in the morning nothing.
You should contact Paul Sinclair about your experience. You are definitely not the first person to see something like this. Paul is currently putting the finishing touches to a film " Wolf Lands". Many reports have come in and also historical as well. The East Coast and Yorkshire Wolds seem full of high strangeness.

I find it interesting that many people refer to these dogmen as "werewolves", since the bipedal semi humanoid werewolf is almost entirely the product of Hollywood. Traditional werewolves were usually men who transformed into wolves, not wolf-men. Werewolf of London started the humanoid business, followed by The Wolf Man and its sequels, which cemented many of the other aspects of modern werewolf lore.

BTW, in The Wolf Man the original werewolf, Bela, is depicted as going full wolf, portrayed by an Alsatian a German Shepherd.

I find it interesting that many people refer to these dogmen as "werewolves", since the bipedal semi humanoid werewolf is almost entirely the product of Hollywood. Traditional werewolves were usually men who transformed into wolves, not wolf-men. Werewolf of London started the humanoid business, followed by The Wolf Man and its sequels, which cemented many of the other aspects of modern werewolf lore.

BTW, in The Wolf Man the original werewolf, Bela, is depicted as going full wolf, portrayed by an Alsatian a German Shepherd.
There are a number of woodcuts that show that the humanoid werewolf goes back further.

This one is from the 19th century:

Loup-garou.jpg

And in the upper left of this one from the 16th century, you can see a humanoid werewolf:

Lukas_Mayer_1589_Hinrichtung_Peter_Stump.jpg

Neither of these were the illustration that I was looking to post, of a bunch of humanoid werewolves leaning against a wall. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it, early 19th century:
Lupins_Maurice Sand001.jpg

The legs are wrong on that Zoo clip
Dogmen are supposed to have the backwards canine type legs . Person in a costume.

There are a number of woodcuts that show that the humanoid werewolf goes back further.

This one is from the 19th century:

View attachment 59309
And in the upper left of this one from the 16th century, you can see a humanoid werewolf:

View attachment 59310
Neither of these were the illustration that I was looking to post, of a bunch of humanoid werewolves leaning against a wall. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it, early 19th century:
View attachment 59311
I did say "usually".

The legs are wrong on that Zoo clip
Dogmen are supposed to have the backwards canine type legs . Person in a costume.
I went to an event where some random guy was dressed as a faun. I'm not sure if he was in a Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe larp group, but the legs were spot on. He must have had some stilt action going on to get the knees right. He walked confidently too. I guess he spent a lot of time as a faun.
Very realistic and must have cost a fortune.

Dogman is very Americanised and/ or our understanding of looks is largely based on Hollywood. Similarly with Aladin and the genie /Djinn.
Certainly Paul's witnesses and other accounts needs to be considered seriously; globally as well as here in the UK. More questions raised than answered, which seems the way... If you know what I mean?
Paul is definitely genuine, not some faker trying to cash in.

You should contact Paul Sinclair about your experience. You are definitely not the first person to see something like this. Paul is currently putting the finishing touches to a film " Wolf Lands". Many reports have come in and also historical as well. The East Coast and Yorkshire Wolds seem full of high strangeness.
Absolutely.

Paul's website is here:

https://truthproof.uk

He has written a number of books of cases including werewolves/dogmen seen primarily in East Yorkshire and that in most cases he has personally investigated. Some of his cases may have a rational explanation but many simply come to down as to whether you believe the witnesses and that the witnesses actually saw something external and not from within their own minds.

The case of the four gnomes in the night at the remote farmhouse is an absolute Fortean classic but it is Paul's research so buy the books, they are a decent price on Kindle.

Absolutely.

Paul's website is here:

https://truthproof.uk

He has written a number of books of cases including werewolves/dogmen seen primarily in East Yorkshire and that in most cases he has personally investigated. Some of his cases may have a rational explanation but many simply come to down as to whether you believe the witnesses and that the witnesses actually saw something external and not from within their own minds.

The case of the four gnomes in the night at the remote farmhouse is an absolute Fortean classic but it is Paul's research so buy the books, they are a decent price on Kindle.
We've got them all. Well worth reading. As are the film's I have seen.
Chris Turner is currently making a film with the Winter Hill Investigation Team. They are hoping this with be finished by about Christmas time.

2023 Dogman sighting from Pennsylvania:

07-24-23Latrobe-A person was traveling outside of town not far from a section of the Chestnut Ridge at about 11:30 PM. That is when the witness observed something down over a hill that was quite unusual. The moon was illuminating the area and what was observed was a creature that looked furry and covered with dark hair. It looked to be about eight feet tall. The creature had a dog-like head and a thick tail that hung downward. When the creature was first observed, it was turned away. It then looked toward the direction of the vehicle and the witness could see its snout. This encounter is similar to what have become known as “Dogman” sightings. There have been other similar observations that have reportedly taken place in Pennsylvania and across the country in past years.

https://www.stangordon.info/wp/2024...nd-other-mysterious-activity-in-pennsylvania/

2023 Dogman sighting from Pennsylvania:

07-24-23Latrobe-A person was traveling outside of town not far from a section of the Chestnut Ridge at about 11:30 PM. That is when the witness observed something down over a hill that was quite unusual. The moon was illuminating the area and what was observed was a creature that looked furry and covered with dark hair. It looked to be about eight feet tall. The creature had a dog-like head and a thick tail that hung downward. When the creature was first observed, it was turned away. It then looked toward the direction of the vehicle and the witness could see its snout. This encounter is similar to what have become known as “Dogman” sightings. There have been other similar observations that have reportedly taken place in Pennsylvania and across the country in past years.

https://www.stangordon.info/wp/2024...nd-other-mysterious-activity-in-pennsylvania/
Apart from the tail, it sounds like a bear reared up on its hind legs. I just googled and there are bears in Pennsylvania.

I like this report from the Truth-Proof website: was it a dream or...?

"I grew up in Whitehaven on the West Coast of Cumbria (West Cumbria) which is a small to medium sized ex mining town roughly 11 miles north west of Sellafield Nuclear power plant. As I mentioned I was a teenager, I can’t remember the date or exact year but I was around 18 years old (im 39 next month). I was in bed in the box room of the house when I woke up suddenly, wide awake. For some reason I was drawn to the window and I opened my curtains and had a look outside.

Around 50ft away was a neighbour's house and on the corner of the road a little patch of grass with a cherry blossom tree that we used to climb when we were younger. On the roof of my neighbours house I was quite astonished when I saw a big - well what can only be described as a Dogman. It was sitting in a perched position but not like a dog sits, more like a human crouching in a squat. "

Read on:

https://truthproof.uk/Reports2/reprt226.html

"I grew up in Whitehaven on the West Coast of Cumbria (West Cumbria) which is a small to medium sized ex mining town roughly 11 miles north west of Sellafield Nuclear power plant. As I mentioned I was a teenager, I can’t remember the date or exact year but I was around 18 years old (im 39 next month). I was in bed in the box room of the house when I woke up suddenly, wide awake. For some reason I was drawn to the window and I opened my curtains and had a look outside.

Around 50ft away was a neighbour's house and on the corner of the road a little patch of grass with a cherry blossom tree that we used to climb when we were younger. On the roof of my neighbours house I was quite astonished when I saw a big - well what can only be described as a Dogman. It was sitting in a perched position but not like a dog sits, more like a human crouching in a squat. "

Read on:

I was watching a video last week , I think it is by What Lies (or maybe Lurks ) Beneath and the host interviews this man who when he was 9 years old used to break into a disused steel works in Youngtown , Ohio I believe and he was in there with three mates arseing about , lighting a fire when they heard the familiar sound of a pack of feral dogs going past . It was night. They were familiar with them and apparently they were very dangerous so it was some comfort that you had to climb into the works so the wild dogs couldn't access it and hurt them. Anyway, all of a sudden they heard these dogs snarling and barking ,then yelping in pain or fear and the boys went out onto the platform outside to see what was going on. They were obscured by a huge pile of coke (not in a rock star kind of meaning!!) and as the noisy encounter went on, one dog flew over it backwards and upside down , hit the other side of the pile and then scarpered yelping with its tail between its legs . Then another dog came over with a huge gash on its side and limped away as fast as it could. Soon the others were seen running for their lives , terrified . That's when they saw this 9 foot bipedal creature who was long , muscular but skinny standing on top of the coke pile just watching them flee with red glowing eyes. A dogman/werewolf type creature completely focused on the wild dogs until one boy , backing away in fear knocked into some metal thing behind them and suddenly the dog man swung its head round to look at them. It began to roar and the sound or frequency made their insides turn to jelly , they couldn't move and a couple of them had their legs buckled. After a few moments they got it together to run inside as the creature was making steps towards them. They ran inside and up to the top of three floors , some of the old concrete stairs had collapsed so between the second and third floor they had to climb it up like a mountaineer. So they are on the top floor and this thing enters the building looking for them. One of the kids is screaming hysterically that he doesn't want to die and they have to forcefully hold his mouth but this creature is looking up at them. He stalks across the floor and makes his way to the stairs. Two of the boys run to the fire escape outside to get onto the roof while the other two stare in frozen horror as it starts to easily scale what's left of the stairs. They are too scared to move. The dogman reaches the top and his head at least is now over the floor where they are , staring at his prey. All of a sudden as he is starting to make his move , there is a deafening noise as a train from the tracks across the road roars by . The creature apparently is startled ,looks at them then the train , then them and back and forth like he's weighing up his options and then he leaps down to run away and according to the guy interviewed as he runs past the fire , he suddenly morphs into a black streak or shadow as he escapes. He calls his friends down from the roof and says We have to go NOW before he comes back. The one kid who has been screaming refuses to move as he thinks it's waiting outside , absolutely refuses to make a run for it so the other three tell him Fine , stay here and die then because we are leaving right now.... In the end , two of them have to manhandle him and drag him away and they get outside and run for their lives back to their houses.
When they get back safely, they are too afraid to say anything because 1. Adults will think they are making it up , and 2. They will get into trouble for being at the disused steel works. Eventually they tell one of the kids dad who is a police officer and to their utter shock he has this air of Oh so you found out the hard way , huh ??!! He doesn't disbelieve them , even pointing out that homeless people have been found in pieces there and it's a dangerous dangerous place for many reasons ,so if you EVER dare go there again , nobody can protect you and your fate is sealed . Also the one kid was meant to attend a high school that his father and grandfather went to as successful athletes , which he wanted to do and the police dad told him if you ever dare go near that place , I will make darn sure you never go to that school... When the guy is telling the story he is sweating and agitated , he is now in his 50s and the thumbnail to the video is The Scariest Interview I've Ever Done . It's incredibly creepy and I gotta say I believe the guy. No idea why but he doesn't strike me as being full of crap. It's on YT , a very interesting watch

I was watching a video last week , I think it is by What Lies (or maybe Lurks ) Beneath and the host interviews this man who when he was 9 years old used to break into a disused steel works in Youngtown , Ohio I believe and he was in there with three mates arseing about , lighting a fire when they heard the familiar sound of a pack of feral dogs going past . It was night. They were familiar with them and apparently they were very dangerous so it was some comfort that you had to climb into the works so the wild dogs couldn't access it and hurt them. Anyway, all of a sudden they heard these dogs snarling and barking ,then yelping in pain or fear and the boys went out onto the platform outside to see what was going on. They were obscured by a huge pile of coke (not in a rock star kind of meaning!!) and as the noisy encounter went on, one dog flew over it backwards and upside down , hit the other side of the pile and then scarpered yelping with its tail between its legs . Then another dog came over with a huge gash on its side and limped away as fast as it could. Soon the others were seen running for their lives , terrified . That's when they saw this 9 foot bipedal creature who was long , muscular but skinny standing on top of the coke pile just watching them flee with red glowing eyes. A dogman/werewolf type creature completely focused on the wild dogs until one boy , backing away in fear knocked into some metal thing behind them and suddenly the dog man swung its head round to look at them. It began to roar and the sound or frequency made their insides turn to jelly , they couldn't move and a couple of them had their legs buckled. After a few moments they got it together to run inside as the creature was making steps towards them. They ran inside and up to the top of three floors , some of the old concrete stairs had collapsed so between the second and third floor they had to climb it up like a mountaineer. So they are on the top floor and this thing enters the building looking for them. One of the kids is screaming hysterically that he doesn't want to die and they have to forcefully hold his mouth but this creature is looking up at them. He stalks across the floor and makes his way to the stairs. Two of the boys run to the fire escape outside to get onto the roof while the other two stare in frozen horror as it starts to easily scale what's left of the stairs. They are too scared to move. The dogman reaches the top and his head at least is now over the floor where they are , staring at his prey. All of a sudden as he is starting to make his move , there is a deafening noise as a train from the tracks across the road roars by . The creature apparently is startled ,looks at them then the train , then them and back and forth like he's weighing up his options and then he leaps down to run away and according to the guy interviewed as he runs past the fire , he suddenly morphs into a black streak or shadow as he escapes. He calls his friends down from the roof and says We have to go NOW before he comes back. The one kid who has been screaming refuses to move as he thinks it's waiting outside , absolutely refuses to make a run for it so the other three tell him Fine , stay here and die then because we are leaving right now.... In the end , two of them have to manhandle him and drag him away and they get outside and run for their lives back to their houses.
When they get back safely, they are too afraid to say anything because 1. Adults will think they are making it up , and 2. They will get into trouble for being at the disused steel works. Eventually they tell one of the kids dad who is a police officer and to their utter shock he has this air of Oh so you found out the hard way , huh ??!! He doesn't disbelieve them , even pointing out that homeless people have been found in pieces there and it's a dangerous dangerous place for many reasons ,so if you EVER dare go there again , nobody can protect you and your fate is sealed . Also the one kid was meant to attend a high school that his father and grandfather went to as successful athletes , which he wanted to do and the police dad told him if you ever dare go near that place , I will make darn sure you never go to that school... When the guy is telling the story he is sweating and agitated , he is now in his 50s and the thumbnail to the video is The Scariest Interview I've Ever Done . It's incredibly creepy and I gotta say I believe the guy. No idea why but he doesn't strike me as being full of crap. It's on YT , a very interesting watch
fascinating stuff, do you have the YouTube link?

Oh , sir I'd need three promotions to be CRAP at technology , I'm really that bad. Hold on , I'll get the exact titles though....
Ok I'm back.... For what it's worth , and I apologise again for my complete ineptitude....it's on you tube , the channel is WHAT LURKS BENEATH and the title of this episode is MOST TERRIFYING INTERVIEW I'VE EVER DONE. Hope you find it , sir

Here it is:

That's a loooong video. Quite interesting, although I find the idea of kids in their early teens wandering around with firearms mind-boggling. Different culture. I've watched less than half so far, but will continue later. Very strange, I haven't made my mind up about the witness yet, I want to see the whole interview first.

Paul_Exeter - thank you for the linky to What Lies Beneath. I am off this week and watched a couple this afternoon and I would highly recommend them.

I love the way the presenter lets the person speak. It is up to you the listener to decide.

I watched one with a pro photographer who is a friend of his and some incidents that happened to him. One was a photo of a hotel that appears to show a figure in the window.

What frustrates me with it is why doesn't he give a copy of the RAW file to the presenter for analysis. Whatever the figure is, at least fraud could be ruled out.

Paul_Exeter - thank you for the linky to What Lies Beneath. I am off this week and watched a couple this afternoon and I would highly recommend them.

I love the way the presenter lets the person speak. It is up to you the listener to decide.

I watched one with a pro photographer who is a friend of his and some incidents that happened to him. One was a photo of a hotel that appears to show a figure in the window.

What frustrates me with it is why doesn't he give a copy of the RAW file to the presenter for analysis. Whatever the figure is, at least fraud could be ruled out.
I also watched that video by the photographer after I recommended the Youngstown werewolf one , and that second photo of the family at the charity red carpet is hands down the creepiest photo I have ever seen

Read on:

I'm still wary of the 'I woke up and...' stories. Especially when it's things being 'normal but with elements of the not normal.' Too close to dreams for me.

But that's just me.

Back