• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dogs That Saw Something Their Owners Couldn't

I found this over at 'neatorama'
Son and myself often watch similar on YouTube. There's a video which shows a dog confronting something invisible and then seemingly being thrown backwards! Anyone help with this?

My dog is what you might call 'highly strung' and I've seen her do all these things (apart from climbing the stairs backwards). She will appear to react before things happen because she hears what I can't hear, and reacts to things 'that aren't there' because she can see what I can't see. The dog in the first clip, for example, that's 'playing with the ghost girl' looks more as though he's jumping up and trying to reach the box on the top of that pole - clearly much too high and out of reach, but dogs do that. Mine chases rooks perched on telegraph poles.

Just a note ...

Dogs aren't as hopelessly reliant on visual input as we primates are. The notion they must be reacting to something seen (as opposed to smelled or heard) represents an unjustified and misleading bias.

Just a note ...

Dogs aren't as hopelessly reliant on visual input as we primates are. The notion they must be reacting to something seen (as opposed to smelled or heard) represents an unjustified and misleading bias.
Beat me to it...

The one that wouldnt come into the kitchen down the hallway, well, I think that is because of him seeing his reflection in the big mural, was it a red telephone box?, on the wall

The dog and the trash can: the can/bag got tangled up with the dog as it was checking the trash can, causing the dog to freak out and panic and run. Since the can/bag was stuck to the dog it gets pulled.

This happens to my cat regularly, they freak out if they get tangled in something and will pull whatever they are tangled with around the house at a full run until the free themselves.

The guy even says there was food in the trash can and he thought the dog was trying to sneak some it out of the can.

And the last video, there could be a small animal trapped in the close end of the pool. Or perhaps a snake under the patio flags that it was smelling that was making it nervous?

I, however, completely empathize with the girl in the first video, as literally last night, I was sleeping on the couch and a picture fell off the wall and onto me. The nail is still in the wall. That'll scare the crap out of ya!

Back