• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Mr T may be the world's favourite Aviophobic comedy turn, but this boy ain't right. Do not encourage him.

There must be a main thread for creepy/haunted dolls.

I found this news article.
Link is dead. No archived version available.
------------------------------------

One doll upstairs that features sharp blue eyes and is losing her hair disturbs Bentley the most.

“She talks,” Bentley said. “The endless things that she says are creepy to me.”

Among the phrases the doll uttered in the presence of a news crew was, “my eyes are magic — I can see through anything!”

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be a main thread for creepy/haunted dolls.

I found this news article.
------------------------------------

One doll upstairs that features sharp blue eyes and is losing her hair disturbs Bentley the most.

“She talks,” Bentley said. “The endless things that she says are creepy to me.”

Among the phrases the doll uttered in the presence of a news crew was, “my eyes are magic — I can see through anything!”
Access denied to that link.

Saw this on a Facebook page about secondhand finds -

My most creeptastic thrift store find- this toddler sized doll that looked just like my daughter!

My daughter is in middle school now and the doll is in a closet.

I think we’ll hang on to her even after all the other toys are sold or given away.

creeptastic doll.jpg
creeptastic doll 2.jpg

I do hope that little girl exploited fully all that doll's prank worthiness.

Grampa's asked Santa to bring you a very special Christmas doll...

Screenshot_20201127_175900_resize_12.jpg

[On eBay: DOLL THE EXORCIST MOVIE FULL SIZE REGAN PROP]!

Spotted in a shop selling a bizarrely diffuse range of products in Santiago de Compostela:

20180524_161117.jpg

Somehow the juxtaposition of frighteningly realistic looking dolls with great big knives makes the former look even scarier than usual...and obviously, they were already much scarier than the knives.

I'm still somewhat perturbed by the look on the face of the particularly thuggish looking baby on the right - whose expression seems to be saying, 'I don't know what the fuck that thing is, but I want one - it looks like it might be fun. And I'm gonna start working out what kind of fun I could have right now - so I'm good and ready when the times comes':

20180524_161102.jpg

That's an ok doll; she is mugging for the camera.

And the thug is speculative; "I need a bigger knife than that"

I hated dolls as a child; and of course being a girl I got given loads I never once played with. I much preferred dinosaurs and soft animals. Things that, like the cat, were fierce and cuddly.

But this was the 70s.

And we have more gender toys than ever...and the colour pink...

(Dont get me onto the horror that is realistic babies...genuine babies are ghastly enough...)

I like most dolls and stuffies, really I do, and tend to relate to them as being conscious beings, if of a different sort. This approach has always served me pretty well. I was (surprise, surprise!) the kind of little boy who played with dolls when the right circumstances prevailed, and it took my Pops until I was around six to convince me to be any different.

But there was the Jackie doll when I was a little one. And she was...different. She'd been my Mom's favorite dollie as a child, who Mom had brought home with the sentimental feelings you might expect her to have--which I guess would place Jackie-Doll as having been made in the early to mid 1930s unless my Mom got her second hand. Jackie-Doll was about 2 feet tall and weighed maybe five pounds; she had a stuffed torso and a red and white dress; her limbs and head were made of some kind of composition compound that was probably glue and sawdust.

And she had light brown glass eyes that were always open. A bland little nondescript expression on her molded and painted little face. And she had .light brown hair in two braids, hair that looked just like a little scalp crudely taxidermied onto a doll. She doesn't sound like that big of a deal, does she? She was, though. She surely was.

Her hair might've been the awfullest part of her, visually, or was it her glinty pale-brown eyes? I can conjure up a clear picture of her in my mind's eye--too bloody goddamned clear for my liking, actually--but can't pinpoint what her scariest feature was. For whatever obscure reason, Jackie-Doll terrified me from the moment I first laid eyes on her. I didn't try to play with her, I didn't even touch her unless I had to. And until I was at least seven, I flat-out refused to be alone in the same room with Jackie-Doll. One of my parents figured this out fairly early on, and so Jackie-Doll was esconced in an old rocker in the parental bedroom to keep me from invading the room during parental absence, and, yes, it worked fine.

Nothing real dramatic ever ensued. I got older, and got over my fear of Jackie-Doll to a large extent--but even as a teenager I still didn't like that doll or want to be around her, and the last time I saw her, when I was in my late 20s or early 30s, I still wanted to give her a wide berth. So I did.

I was a weirdly sensitive little cuss, and experienced some peculiar realities, but I can still think of no real reason for Jackie-Doll to have effected me that strongly. She did, though--she just did.

I don't understand the modern fear and hatred of dolls and clowns. Clowns were welcome when I was a kid, and all girls loved their dolls. What happened? What turned our friendly pals around?
I always liked clowns; when I was a shorty and the circus would come to town, they were my second favorite performers, right after all the animals. I can understand an underlying unease with them due to their not-normal-human appearance and their boisterous, seemingly chaotic behavior, and indeed the good ones often know how to play that unease to make really funny comedy. And they are naturally in disguise, triggering the atavistic adult fear of strangers--but most circus and party clowns act in a friendly or sympathy-engendering mode, not an actively scary one. Grown-ass adults who are actually scared of clowns strike me as being somewhat chickenshit and overly fond of convention, to be quite honest about it.

Now, dolls on the other hand--most of them are inanimate, and many of the more unusual not-exactly-inanimate ones strike me as being playful, fey and rather sweet, but those other ones....brrrrrr. It's hard to put one's finger on exactly what's wrong about certain dolls, but there's most definitely something there. Perhaps it's due to their being soi-disant representations of people or personified entities making them more easy for certain straying energies to latch onto and personate?

I'm currently reading Stuart Maconie's Hope & Glory. He mentions John Logie Baird and the first TV pictures.

It mentions a doll used because the lights were too powerul for someone to stand under.

So I had look for Stookie Bill:

John Logie Baird's test subject 'Stookie Bill' | Science Museum Group Collection
'Hello, come in, we're just about to try our new Television Set! It's the latest thing, y'know! Take a pew while I switch it on.'
'Oh thank you, how exciting!'
'Look, there's a picture!'

:eek:

Back