• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dolls?

A

Anonymous

This isn't my story. This didn't happen to me. My friend Claire is asking me to put this in (as she doesn't feel like doing it herself, she's "computer challenged" as she says :hmph: )

She was staying at her sister's house for the weekend, and the house has a big shelf of expensive porcelain dolls in the room she was staying in. Supposedly these dolls date back to the 1920's.
She said that all the dolls were in a row looking straight out when she fell asleep. When she woke up, two were staring directly at eachother, one had a tilted head, and the others' fingers were differently positioned.

I don't know how this is possible but Claire is still really freaked out. She read the post about Raggedy Ann but she claimed it didn't have anything to do with what she experienced.

Anyone had a similar experience?

My bisque dolls from the 20s move all the time. Putting felt on their feet doesn't help, and neither, long-term, does double-stick tape.

The problem is that bisque (matte finish porcelain) and china (gloss finish porcelain) and the surface of shelves combined produce very little friction to keep them still, and since dolls are cast from molds they are hollow and very light. It doesn't take much in the way of vibration to keep them dancing around. Many of them are probably mounted on stands, which are metal and also subject to movement unless they have rubber bottoms. (I don' t know why they don't.)

Computer challenged, heck - she means she can't type?

Thanks for the information :) And Claire's just lazy -- she can type fine :hmph:.

Does her sister have a cat?

My cousin has a house full of the things (dolls not cats) and i think they're creepy beyond belief.

The small glass, metal or china items in my cabinet rearrange themselves in just the same way. If I haven't cleaned it for a couple of months, you can see the trails they make in the fine layer of dust.

Mythopoeika said:
Does her sister have a cat?

I know you meant it as a reasonable explanation of the dolls moving, but the image that popped into my head was that of a cat jumping up onto a shelf at night and subtly rearranging the dolls intentionally so as to freak out the occupants of the room :D

Elffriend said:
:eek: but in a :D way

You'd think that a glazed cabinet would be pretty dust free, but nooo.
:rolleyes:
When the cabinet was in an upstairs room at our previous residence, everything on it had to be repositioned on a weekly basis due to the vibrations caused by traffic outside. You could actually hear things 'buzzing' on the polished wood surface as something large went past.

I think I posted this somewhere else, but I can't remember where so I thought I would post it again...

When I was in ninth grade my cousin died. She and I both had a collection of troll dolls and when she died my aunt gave her's to me. One day I noticed that one of her's was turned facing a different direction and another one of her's had moved forward significantly on the shelf. (I do have cats but they rarely go in there and the shelf was too high even for them). I put the dolls back and left. When I came back later the one was moved forward again. This time I was too creeped out to touch it and I just left it there. It kept gradually moving closer and closer to the edge of the shelf until I got so scared that I took all the troll dolls and moved them into the other room. I don't like remembering this. :eek!!!!: I'm done now.

When I was in my early teens my mother got me this ridiculous southern bell doll. It was posable and wore a pink chiffon dress. One morning she came into my room to wake me and found the doll clinging to a wire hanger on the back of my bedroom door. It's pendable hands were clutching the wire.

Try to blame that one on the cat!

ok. That is supremely freaky.
One of my porcelain dolls wet missing a while back. It was sitting on the piano one day and the next, it was gone.
If it appears anywhere in my room it's gonna die.

I found a nice creepy doll story here:

Weird Doll
by Mr.

I was around 11 at the time my dad bought some weird doll. I don't know where or why, he just brought it one day to the house. This doll was around three feet high, like those "my size" dolls. One day my dad was working in the back of our house and the doll was in my sister's room. I was watching TV and got a little tired since it was 11 or so. I decided to turn it off and head to my room. I was in my brother's room at the time. Since we didn't have doors, you can basically see my room my sister's room from where my brother's room was. I got up, turned the TV off and went to bed... and in five minutes or so, the TV turned back on. I thought my dad got in or something, but I could still hear the machines from outside (my dad was a carpenter). I yelled out "dad" and nobody answered so I got up and turned the TV off again.

At this point, I was a little scared, but part of me told me that the TV probably had something wrong with it or somthing was missing. I fell back asleep and heard the TV turn on again. I yelled, "Dad, stop trying to scare me." Nobody answered and by the door I saw something... I don't know what. Something crawled from my door to under my bed, and I even felt it go down there, like it was too big to fit under there. I whispered, "Dad, this is not funny."

I was so scared I jumped off the bed and ran outside to my dad. He was shocked when he saw me running toward him. He thought someone was inside the house or robbing, so I told him what happened. He went inside to show me nothing was wrong. He closed his shop and went inside to put me to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, I saw that doll right beside me, one foot from where I was sleeping, there standing looking at the wall. I jumped and ran to tell my dad. He said he saw that doll yesterday when he tucked me in, but before I turned the TV off the day before, I went to my sister's room to make sure that the doll was there, and it was. So I don't know how it could have gotten in my room.

Now I'm 15 and I moved out of that house, but my dad still has that doll its in pieces, but he still has it.

:eek!!!!: Sweet dreams, kiddies!

"I'm talking Tina, and I'm going to kill yewwww........"

Yes, all dolls are Evil!!!

They're way too easy to become possessed: Some demon type roaming the umbra looking for a way to "live", see's a doll - arms, legs, eyes, mouth - yeah, too easy.

Burn the Dolls! Burn the Dolls! We shall cleanse the Earth with fire!

:D

As a child, I often imagined that my toys came alive at night or when I wasn't there (and this was well before Toy Story!). As long as I was kind to my dolls, I reckoned they would be kind to me!

I collected antique dolls when I was in my teens, and when I finally got around to moving the collection from my parents' house to my own, my husband specifically requested that I put my 1950's Kewpie doll somewhere that he couldn't see it. My Kewpie doll has outstretched arms and stares at the world with a faintly disturbing smile, so it creeped him out. My sister also used to find another doll disturbing, this time a 19th-century wooden doll with painted features and a stumpy little peg for a nose; this one also had to be kept in the shadows. Poor things!

I read your post last night Leaferne, at about 11pm. I'd just got to the part when the whatever it was was crawling under the bed when my mobile phone rang.
That was the cue for me to jump about 3 feet in the air and have to give myself CPR.

It was great.:D

BTW I hate dolls...clown dolls in particular:eek!!!!:

I don't remember the last time something scared me so much. And I'm going to bed soon.:(

what a terrible situation to sleep at someones house and they put you in the room with a shelf full of dolls...that's just cruel

possession

as one post put it, YES-entirely to easy for someTHING to possess a doll, i think.

like leaving out a car with keys in it!

i mean yeah, some spirits can and do probably possess televisions, phones, etc, from time to time and spook us out with images, sounds and static...but think about it, a doll would be like the perfect 'outfit' for some mischievious entity...at least the better articulated or hollow ones....
most dolls are made with great balance to stand up and hold various poses, what else can you say that about in your house besides a table and chair? nothing better suited to 'get around in', i say.
man, that doll grabbing the hanger.....sounds like she was trying to get out! freaky!

......Or she did it in her sleep.

Seen any babies or toddlers shouting obcenities and quoting biblical texts lately? That rules possesions out then! :blah:

These stories are great!

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the phenomenon of doll defacing. Just about every friend I had as a teenager loved to make dolls look as freaky as possible, then leave them out for display. I wasn't into it myself but never really thought about what would make me shy away from such a fun, creative hobby.

But this could be one reason: At the age of 9 I had one of those makeover busts of Marie Osmond - I called it my "Marie Head" and unwittingly defaced it by trying to cut the hair and using nail polish as makeup (so it would stay on.) She ended up with choppy-looking hair and a face "bloodied" by red nail polish - very creepy. But for some reason I left her up on my shelf for months and months.

I suffered my first bout of insomnia back around this time. That night, Marie Head was getting to me, of course. But also when I looked out my window I could see - standing right on the corner down the street - a 3 foot high lifelike figure of a little boy facing towards me (looking at me!) with a big, wide grin on his face. When I was away from the window, I would wonder if what I was seeing was real. Then I'd take another look and discover that it was still there. It certainly was real: the next morning I found right there on the corner what was left of a little boy lawn ornament (I figure that's what it must have been). The head had been completely smashed in, perhaps by another terrified kid. :D

Peni said:
My bisque dolls from the 20s move all the time. Putting felt on their feet doesn't help, and neither, long-term, does double-stick tape.

The problem is that bisque (matte finish porcelain) and china (gloss finish porcelain) and the surface of shelves combined produce very little friction to keep them still, and since dolls are cast from molds they are hollow and very light. It doesn't take much in the way of vibration to keep them dancing around. Many of them are probably mounted on stands, which are metal and also subject to movement unless they have rubber bottoms. (I don' t know why they don't.)

Computer challenged, heck - she means she can't type?

I love to read the typing of sanity! Nice One!

My sister used to collect porcelene (sp?) dolls which scared the crap out of me. One of them got her face smashed and my sister glued it back together, the doll had the most evil face afterwards. I could not even look at it let alone touch it...I was so happy when my sister finally got rid of them...I suppose it's like clowns and marmite, you either love them or hate them and you simply don't know why...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always been totally creeped out by dolls. I don't allow them in the house,too many wierd experiences through the years.
On a similar note,I have electrical cords that always move around and end up in a twisted bundle that is nerve wracking to untangle. They will be perfectly straightend and within a month they get tangled up again.
They are never unplugged and all in the same power strip,but nothing keeps them straight,not even putting ties on them works . My wife and I are baffled by this as no one else comes here to mess with them.

To solve this little mystery set up a video camera on them and link it through a vcr/rwdvd...and you'll probably notice that there is a lot of interference from using equipment. Subtle as it may be, it al adds up and cables/flexes etc always tangle. It's in their nature.
I always say when theres a half knot in wires, "A woman's touched it!" As it's usually the case. :lol:

Spillage, video camera salesman...

Listen Spillage i think you have a career mapped out for yourself...video debunker of the paranormal ;) ... i really don't disagree with you, but the paranormal is just so much more fun! There's a show on tv called animalx where they attempt to investigate and come to some type of conclusions about mystery animals. To this end they marched around a swamp placing motion activated camers in likely places...when they returned the next day to their shock one camera was missing and the
tree branch where the other rested was on the ground in pieces. Their natural conclusion was BIGFOOT! However, when they looked at the tape they saw that the branch had broken off when several buzzards (turkey vultures) roosted on the branch. Closer examination revealed that the branch was rotten and filled with beetles upon which the birds had been feasting. Now would you have in a million years ever thought of that as a possibilty? The other camera never turned up. And I hesitate in these circumstances to assume what happened to it. You know what happens when you assume don't you?

Also there's a b&b in Gettysburg PA called the Cashtown Inn where creepy children's laughter can be heard coming from (behind)a mantel full of the most homey and innocent looking dolls. I'd like to send you and your skeptical video camera there...even the innkeepers won't stay the night! They give you a key to the inn's front door and a key to your room and they split immediately after dinner. One night there and you would be singing another tune.

Hehe...do you rekon? I'm a Yorkshire man don't forget!;) Giggle. But seriously. I've seen the TV program you mentioned a few times and I think the missing camera was due to the local poachers/hunters who would take something of value or which would incriminate them.
The Cashtown Inn eh.....Childrens' laughter without children suggests either fakery or natural similarities. I only rule out the paranormal when natural or fakery can be ruled out. I am a healthy sceptic, not an atheistic one. But to believe in the paranormal first means to test it and eliminate the mundane, otherwise it's just plain blind faith... and that isn't the paranormal at all.
If I were to go to the Cashtown Inn...to get to the bottom of the sounds *if they really do exist...(Isn't it funny how most of these things always occur in Inns, Taverns, Hotels, Museums etc....? Smells of tourism and cash..ironic in this specific case :)) * I would need permission to do scans of sorts on the chimney breast, the walls and also analyse the recordings.
Only after thorough investigations from three or more parties with the same results, would any conclusions be passed. If after all analysis for the mundane *wildly* was exhausted and failed, would the paranormal be deemed true. In this case, I would eat my proverbial hat and bow to the world of the paranormal, then investigate it on a different level and try to understand and approach it to make it part of life rather than part of the shadows.
It's Sunday morning here in Sunny Yorkshire and I'm off out to experience mid spring and all its beauty naturale. Cheers. ;)

Back