• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dolls?

Edgar Bergan's famous dummy Charlie McCarthy had his own bedroom, boyishly decorated, with toys, books, college pennants on the walls, plus autographed photographs from famous celebrities and politicians. Whenever Charlie wasn't in active use on radio, television, the movies or in nightclubs he lay motionless on the bed, head resting against the pillow.

When Bergan's very young daughter Candace discovered this room she wondered what had so entirely paralyzed Charlie. Or was he just plain dead? What had he done? If she accidentally made his mistake, would the same thing happen to her?

There's a new movie out called
Dead Silence that may be of interest to people who like this thread. It has something to do with an old lady who died and her remaining ventriloquist dolls. Hope to enjoy.

I've seen commercials. It looks dreadful. And burying your doll collection with you is such a waste! Let other people have the fun of collecting them!

glamour_dust said:
There's a new movie out called
Dead Silence that may be of interest to people who like this thread. It has something to do with an old lady who died and her remaining ventriloquist dolls. Hope to enjoy.

It was advertized on Cincinnati television this past week.

One of my most vivid abiding childhood memories was the night my gollywog came to life. I was about 2 or 3 at the time and slept in a cot. One night I awoke to find my gollywog jabbering menacingly and seemingly attempting to get at me through the bars of the cot. My immediate reaction was to scream my head off, which resulted in my mother coming dashing up the stairs and into the room. I like to think I was feverish or something at the time! Regardless of what really happened that night the memory of the terror I felt has remained with me.

Hospitaller said:
One of my most vivid abiding childhood memories was the night my gollywog came to life. I was about 2 or 3 at the time and slept in a cot. One night I awoke to find my gollywog jabbering menacingly and seemingly attempting to get at me through the bars of the cot. My immediate reaction was to scream my head off, which resulted in my mother coming dashing up the stairs and into the room. I like to think I was feverish or something at the time! Regardless of what really happened that night the memory of the terror I felt has remained with me.

Could this be the real reason gollywogs are being banned these days?

Not an "IHTM" as such - but I just read about the place - and it fits in with the "dolls" theme. And it is creepy as all hell. Check out the photos at the link! :shock:

Mexico’s Creepiest Tourist Destination: Island of the Dolls
On a dark and creepy island in the canals of Xochimico near Mexico City sits what might be the world’s strangest and scariest tourist attraction ever. However, this sad island was never meant to be a stop on tourists’ holiday itineraries. The Island of the Dolls was dedicated to the lost soul of a poor little girl who met her fate too soon.

The Island of the Dolls (Isla de las Munecas) sits in the canals south of Mexico City and is the current home of hundreds of terrifying, mutilated dolls. Their severed limbs, decapitated heads, and blank eyes adorn trees, fences and nearly every available surface. The dolls appear menacing even in the bright light of midday, but in the dark they are particularly haunting.

Not surprisingly, the island’s origins lie in tragedy. The story goes that the island’s only inhabitant, Don Julian Santana, found the body of a drowned child in the canal some 50 years ago. He was haunted by her death, so when he saw a doll floating by in the canal soon after, he hung it in a tree to please the girl. He hoped to both appease her tortured soul and protect the island from further evil.

The story took a particularly sinister turn in 2001 when Don Julian drowned in the canal just like the little girl. Many people said that the dolls, inhabited by tortured spirits, conspired to murder the old man. Others believe that Santana’s death was an accident and that since his passing, the dolls have taken over his role as the island’s caretaker.

http://weburbanist.com/2010/10/06/mexic ... the-dolls/

Browsing through some stuff for some writing I came across this footage of Robert the doll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF7488WHcok

Watch the window in the upper right of the screen at 2:08. I don't have the technical know how to take a still of the two or three frames that appear to show someone in the window.

I know that their is access to the building and assume it to be put in as a joke.

It's well done though.

For a while, my two Makonde carved African figures would be found in the morning, in different positions. For some time my husband and son were very convincing when they said it had 'nothing to do with them'. I was really freaked out by it.

About two years later, my son confessed that when he came in from the pub, late at night, he always moved the figures, just slightly, to see if I would notice. He got beyond the point when he could admit to it, having denied it, so often.

I think a lot of Fortean experiences are 'man made'.

Spooky puppet that 'choked' owner caught moving on camera
[CCTV] Spooky 'haunted puppet' that 'choked' owner caught moving on camera inside a sealed glass container
Creepy moment 'haunted puppet' said to have choked its previous owner starts moving on its own inside a sealed glass container in the middle of the night
Paranormal Investigator Jayne Harris given puppet by scared former owner
He said it tried to strangle him while he was sleeping in bed with his wife
Jayne took it and locked it in glass container, filming it nightly for 3 months
Spooky footage shows its operating cross move across the box and fall against glass pane

Now be forewarned...it's The Fail reporting this but still interesting.

It was less impressive than I hoped it might be.

We had Yorkshire drystone walls round our garden and when I was a kid, I walled all my dolls up inside the wall and left them there (didn't particularly like dolls at all but people who hardly knew me would give me them for birthdays, xmas, etc). 20 odd years later the land was sold to developers and I often wonder what they thought when they knocked that old wall down to find some creepy weird child had walled up all their dollies...

In my student days I owned a couple of garter snakes one of which was a metre or so in length.

Being in student accommodation we moved around a lot but I always took the opportunity to leave a full shed snake skin in the loft...under the floorboards...or behind the fridge...for the next residents or some poor workman to find later.

Meanwhile...dollies...

a few years ago our daughter came into our bedroom late at night "Dad one of my dolls is scaring me" I told her to get into bed with her mom and I went through to sleep in her room.

switched off the light and looked at said doll, just the way the lights from outside caught it :-O horrific looking thing. Mouldy head under duvet for rest of night!!!!!

Mouldy13 why didn't you put it in another room? I know some things can give you the creeps.
I once bought a carved islander male figure at a garage sale with other carvings, but when I got it home it made me feel uneasy so I put it on the porch.
I felt the same way the next day so I wrapped it in birthday paper, went to the shopping centre, put it beside the car and went shopping. It was gone when I came back.

I remember you mentioning this before. The birthday paper is a nice touch.

a few years ago our daughter came into our bedroom late at night "Dad one of my dolls is scaring me" I told her to get into bed with her mom and I went through to sleep in her room.

switched off the light and looked at said doll, just the way the lights from outside caught it :-O horrific looking thing. Mouldy head under duvet for rest of night!!!!!

Christ I at least expected a sword fight with various kitchen utensils with you are you moppet nemesis - Mouldy you've got to try harder! I mean just look at you!

Ive only ever had one doll and i ignored that, cause i preferred to play with my brothers cars etc, and the dolls my sister had, well, my brothers used to cut their hair and use em for paint brushes, so i was spared the scary stories you all had. Thank the lord

A selection of Scary Vintage Dolls That Will Make Your Skin Crawl

Scary%2BVintage%2BDolls%2B%25285%2529.jpg

http://www.vintag.es/2015/10/these-scary-vintage-dolls-that-will.html

They're quite horrific.
What is going on in the pic with what appears to be a human brain? :eek:

The one with the brain looks like something from Jan Svankmajer; the seventh one was in an episode of The Avengers (How to Succeed at Murder) that, coincidentally, I saw last week.

Back