• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Domino

IMDB:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0421054/

Its out in cinemas this week - the ads are doing my head in at the moment: Keira Knightley's accent is like a rusty saw blade to the scrotum and I haven't really rated her as an actress (at least in The Jacket she had a reasonble approximation to an American accent so she was more bearable even if she let the ensemble down).

The film also sounds awful ;)

Review:

Domino

* Cert 15

Peter Bradshaw
Friday October 14, 2005
The Guardian

However annoying it can be to hear a native Brit saying "ass" instead of "arse" - or even having a go at "butt" - there are times when only the American word sounds right. Here to prove that is Keira Knightley, who has swapped her Jane Austen bonnets for some transfer tattoos, playing Domino Harvey, daughter of movie idol Laurence Harvey. She was a privileged English gel who in real life became an LA bounty hunter and an all-round sexy badass - or rather bad-arse.

Bounty hunting is a dangerous vocation; so why should Domino choose it, you ask? Sounding like a falsetto Dan Maskell, Keira chirrups: "So I could kick arse and not do time." Kick arse? I don't think I have ever heard the word pronounced with a longer vowel. That is possibly how the real Domino spoke, yet Keira's tough act is about as convincing as Boris Johnson doing a live medley of 50 Cent covers.

Director Tony Scott's macho-sentimental tribute to Harvey neglects to mention her real-life drug problem, which contributed to her death in June this year after the movie was complete - discovered dead in her apartment due to a painkiller overdose, while awaiting trial for dealing narcotics. The omission of drugs is therefore all the more glaring and embarrassing, and Scott simply slaps an unexplained tribute on the closing credits, dedicating his film to her "memory". But what precisely is being remembered? And why? It's not a straight biopic but apparently a selective, fictionalised account of events which are of limited interest in the first place. The result is a chaotic, violent and baffling action thriller without shape or perspective, in which every frame has been cranked up with flashy editing and boiling cinematography.

After the traumatic death of her goldfish - and the emotional scar tissue is simply piling up - Domino grows up to be a fierce babe with attitude and that exotic first name is a token of how supercool she is. I can only say that Tony Scott here missed a massive opportunity for comedy. Would it have killed him to include a scene where she trips over and bumps into someone, causing them to topple over, hitting someone else, and they topple over, and so on?

Transplanted to America by her ambitious mama after Laurence dies, Domino gets kicked out of school and answers an ad for bounty hunters in a discarded paper - the US edition of The Lady, perhaps? She hooks up with two bounty-hunting hombres, Mickey Rourke and Edgar Ramirez, controlled by the unscrupulous Delroy Lindo. But things get terrifyingly out of control when Lindo involves them in a plan to heist $10m.

The most excruciating moment comes when Domino gets out of a tight situation with a Latino gang by offering to give their leader a lapdance. "Bra and panties on," she specifies primly - a proviso which the gangstas accept with remarkable gallantry. Later on, Domino's gang will mutilate someone because Lindo gives her instructions to "take off his shirt so you can see his arm" over a crackling mobile phone. It comes out as "take off . . . his arm" and they duly hack off the poor fellow's arm! D'oh! D'oh squared! D'oh tripled with knobs on! In this macabre situation, Tony Scott finds neither horror nor Tarantinoesque black comedy. It is just part of the featureless splurge of violence.

So is this new tough routine one for Keira's showreel? An answer is provided in the scene where teenage Domino insists on practising her martial arts moves by the family pool. Her posh mum, played by Jacqueline Bisset, drawls from her lounger in a Kensington accent: "Give the goddam nunchucks a rest, already." You heard your mother. Do give the nunchucks a rest.

www.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0 ... 00,00.html

Spawned into action

If only there were more action movies 'inspired' by the exploits of movie-star offspring. John Patterson pitches in

Saturday October 8, 2005
The Guardian

Tony Scott's Domino is already, by some distance, the movie to beat for this year's Golden Raspberry Awards. It may yet be pipped at the post by Cameron Crowe's atrocious Elizabethtown, but my money's still on the movie that offers us Keira Knightley, adorable and tiny as ever, blazing away with a pair of 50-pound machine-guns - the kind of hardware that in real life would knock a 250-pound man off his feet. All the while, Keira's kicking down doors, hustling bad guys nine times her size to the floor, making them "assume the position, bitch!" and twittering away in an accent so plummy - "May name is Dominay Hah-vee and I'm a byne-tee huntah!" - that she makes Kristin Scott Thomas sound like Kathy Burke.

But the dunderheaded demographic that lionises the Scott oeuvre won't give a stuff. And now Domino has joined her late dad, Laurence, of Room At The Top and The Manchurian Candidate, having died of an overdose a couple of months ago. Her life is cited as "an inspiration" for the movie, which soon soars off into outlandishly ridiculous fictional shenanigans the like of which Domino herself never experienced.

If only we could now sit back and enjoy a few more flicks in which the spoiled rich kids of upper-echelon Hollywood (which, to be scrupulously fair, is a category that didn't include Domino) are reconfigured as 007 or Dirty Harry types. There's a splendidly nauseating show on US TV right now called My Super Sweet Sixteen, in which overindulged millionaires' children - whose life-model is the vain, empty, rodent-faced Paris Hilton - scream and bitch when Daddy only buys them a $45K Range Rover or when he fails to spend more than a quarter-mill on the titular birthday party. Imagine if these overentitled hellions started demanding that Daddy finance their own action movie for them: bring on XXX - Action Bratz! Or, of course, Domino.

I foresee the fiery youths of top-table Tinseltown lining up to have movies "inspired" by their tiresome antics: Griffin O'Neal, son of Ryan, who accidentally killed Gian-Carlo Coppola, son of Francis, in a speedboat, makes good while sawing the heads off bad guys with his twin props; Victoria Sellers goes from making Sex Tips videos with Heidi Fleiss to superheroine status in her remake of Chesty Morgan's Deadly Weapons; Cheryl Crane, who stabbed her mother Lana Turner's mobster boyfriend Johnny Stompanato to death, could handily remake Abel Ferrara's Ms 45, blowing away sexist pigs and ass-grabbers without breaking a finely manicured nail.

Ah, the possibilities ... On the other hand, I wouldn't complain much if the fabulously rich started laying heavy hands on their children's bottoms, or enrolled the lot of them in Military School or Fat Camp. That would suit me fine, too.

www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/film/story/ ... 51,00.html

And if people are interested there is a long article here about the background to the whole film:

www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1517587,00.html

This is getting way overpreviewed here - to the point that my husband leaned over in the theater this afternoon and said: "I can't wait for this movie to hit town so we can stop watching this preview."

In fairness to the fictionalization of the movie, Domino Harvey routinely reinvented her life story any time it suited her, so the director isn't doing anything disrespectful to her memory or anything. I think, however, that he's missed a good bet by trying to make an action film about someone whose life is a supremely ironic tragedy - the privileged kid who never learns to be who she is.

If you want a movie about reinvention, the one we saw today - A History of Violence - will probably suit you better, but don't go looking for surprises. This one's grim inevitability all the way.

Mighty_Emperor said:
IMDB:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0421054/

Its out in cinemas this week - the ads are doing my head in at the moment: Keira Knightley's accent is like a rusty saw blade to the scrotum and I haven't really rated her as an actress (at least in The Jacket she had a reasonble approximation to an American accent so she was more bearable even if she let the ensemble down).

The film also sounds awful ;)

Review:

Domino

* Cert 15

Peter Bradshaw
Friday October 14, 2005
The Guardian

However annoying it can be to hear a native Brit saying "ass" instead of "arse" - or even having a go at "butt" - there are times when only the American word sounds right. Here to prove that is Keira Knightley, who has swapped her Jane Austen bonnets for some transfer tattoos, playing Domino Harvey, daughter of movie idol Laurence Harvey. She was a privileged English gel who in real life became an LA bounty hunter and an all-round sexy badass - or rather bad-arse.

Bounty hunting is a dangerous vocation; so why should Domino choose it, you ask? Sounding like a falsetto Dan Maskell, Keira chirrups: "So I could kick arse and not do time." Kick arse? I don't think I have ever heard the word pronounced with a longer vowel. That is possibly how the real Domino spoke, yet Keira's tough act is about as convincing as Boris Johnson doing a live medley of 50 Cent covers.

Director Tony Scott's macho-sentimental tribute to Harvey neglects to mention her real-life drug problem, which contributed to her death in June this year after the movie was complete - discovered dead in her apartment due to a painkiller overdose, while awaiting trial for dealing narcotics. The omission of drugs is therefore all the more glaring and embarrassing, and Scott simply slaps an unexplained tribute on the closing credits, dedicating his film to her "memory". But what precisely is being remembered? And why? It's not a straight biopic but apparently a selective, fictionalised account of events which are of limited interest in the first place. The result is a chaotic, violent and baffling action thriller without shape or perspective, in which every frame has been cranked up with flashy editing and boiling cinematography.

After the traumatic death of her goldfish - and the emotional scar tissue is simply piling up - Domino grows up to be a fierce babe with attitude and that exotic first name is a token of how supercool she is. I can only say that Tony Scott here missed a massive opportunity for comedy. Would it have killed him to include a scene where she trips over and bumps into someone, causing them to topple over, hitting someone else, and they topple over, and so on?

Transplanted to America by her ambitious mama after Laurence dies, Domino gets kicked out of school and answers an ad for bounty hunters in a discarded paper - the US edition of The Lady, perhaps? She hooks up with two bounty-hunting hombres, Mickey Rourke and Edgar Ramirez, controlled by the unscrupulous Delroy Lindo. But things get terrifyingly out of control when Lindo involves them in a plan to heist $10m.

The most excruciating moment comes when Domino gets out of a tight situation with a Latino gang by offering to give their leader a lapdance. "Bra and panties on," she specifies primly - a proviso which the gangstas accept with remarkable gallantry. Later on, Domino's gang will mutilate someone because Lindo gives her instructions to "take off his shirt so you can see his arm" over a crackling mobile phone. It comes out as "take off . . . his arm" and they duly hack off the poor fellow's arm! D'oh! D'oh squared! D'oh tripled with knobs on! In this macabre situation, Tony Scott finds neither horror nor Tarantinoesque black comedy. It is just part of the featureless splurge of violence.

So is this new tough routine one for Keira's showreel? An answer is provided in the scene where teenage Domino insists on practising her martial arts moves by the family pool. Her posh mum, played by Jacqueline Bisset, drawls from her lounger in a Kensington accent: "Give the goddam nunchucks a rest, already." You heard your mother. Do give the nunchucks a rest.

www.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0 ... 00,00.html

Spawned into action

If only there were more action movies 'inspired' by the exploits of movie-star offspring. John Patterson pitches in

Saturday October 8, 2005
The Guardian

Tony Scott's Domino is already, by some distance, the movie to beat for this year's Golden Raspberry Awards. It may yet be pipped at the post by Cameron Crowe's atrocious Elizabethtown, but my money's still on the movie that offers us Keira Knightley, adorable and tiny as ever, blazing away with a pair of 50-pound machine-guns - the kind of hardware that in real life would knock a 250-pound man off his feet. All the while, Keira's kicking down doors, hustling bad guys nine times her size to the floor, making them "assume the position, bitch!" and twittering away in an accent so plummy - "May name is Dominay Hah-vee and I'm a byne-tee huntah!" - that she makes Kristin Scott Thomas sound like Kathy Burke.

But the dunderheaded demographic that lionises the Scott oeuvre won't give a stuff. And now Domino has joined her late dad, Laurence, of Room At The Top and The Manchurian Candidate, having died of an overdose a couple of months ago. Her life is cited as "an inspiration" for the movie, which soon soars off into outlandishly ridiculous fictional shenanigans the like of which Domino herself never experienced.

If only we could now sit back and enjoy a few more flicks in which the spoiled rich kids of upper-echelon Hollywood (which, to be scrupulously fair, is a category that didn't include Domino) are reconfigured as 007 or Dirty Harry types. There's a splendidly nauseating show on US TV right now called My Super Sweet Sixteen, in which overindulged millionaires' children - whose life-model is the vain, empty, rodent-faced Paris Hilton - scream and bitch when Daddy only buys them a $45K Range Rover or when he fails to spend more than a quarter-mill on the titular birthday party. Imagine if these overentitled hellions started demanding that Daddy finance their own action movie for them: bring on XXX - Action Bratz! Or, of course, Domino.

I foresee the fiery youths of top-table Tinseltown lining up to have movies "inspired" by their tiresome antics: Griffin O'Neal, son of Ryan, who accidentally killed Gian-Carlo Coppola, son of Francis, in a speedboat, makes good while sawing the heads off bad guys with his twin props; Victoria Sellers goes from making Sex Tips videos with Heidi Fleiss to superheroine status in her remake of Chesty Morgan's Deadly Weapons; Cheryl Crane, who stabbed her mother Lana Turner's mobster boyfriend Johnny Stompanato to death, could handily remake Abel Ferrara's Ms 45, blowing away sexist pigs and ass-grabbers without breaking a finely manicured nail.

Ah, the possibilities ... On the other hand, I wouldn't complain much if the fabulously rich started laying heavy hands on their children's bottoms, or enrolled the lot of them in Military School or Fat Camp. That would suit me fine, too.

www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/film/story/ ... 51,00.html

And if people are interested there is a long article here about the background to the whole film:

www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1517587,00.html

Max never listens to movie reviews and goes to see them anyway. ;)

I like Keira's accent, makes here even sexier, man what a stomach too was ripped for King Arthur movie. :yeay: 8)

Hardly seen the ads on Tv but I wouldn't mind since Keira is gorgeous. 8) ;)

Oh yeah she rocked in Pirates of the Carribean. 8)

Mighty_Emperor said:
MM: Fair enough - its your money.

As long as I know the ads will stop I'll be fine (eventually).

Rotten Tomatoes page:

www.rottentomatoes.com/m/domino/

Do you ever go to see movies though even if the movie gets a bad review? I don't listen to reviews if I'm interest.

If the right person gives it a bad review I'll go like a shot. The important thing is to know how the reviewer's taste relates to your own. I miss Bob Polunski, who used to review movies here. If he hated it, it was a must-see; if he liked it, I could skip it. If he didn't understand a movie, it was definitely worth a shot - the worst we were likely to see was an interesting failure. The present move critic is much harder to figure out.

And I will watch stuff just to see certain actors do their thing.

Yeah it depends on the reviewer - Peter Bradshaw from the Garudian is a miserable old get sometimes and he gave LotR 3 a terrible review but as I was wetting mself with excitement over the film I wasn't going to let that stop me.

If it is a film I'm just checking out on the offchance then personal recommendations count for a lot. Beyond that if it gets dreadful reviews I'll tend to avoid but then sometimes I'll watch it for a specific actor or if it is so bad it is good.

It seems to be working as I tend not to have seen many films recently that I hate so.......

Seems some magazines like Maxim are giving it a good review.

I just hate the why Keira Knightly got a body double for nude scenes when shes done them before without body doubles.

MaxMolyneux said:

I just hate the why Keira Knightly got a body double for nude scenes when shes done them before without body doubles.

As this seems to be a deal breaker for you ;)

From what I hear she only has a body double for part of the lap dance scene as she couldn't make her ass do whatever they wanted her ass to do (I'll put reasonable money on it not being her inability to light her farts - we all know Keira Knightly has never had problems in that department).

No just go and watch the film!!

:lol:

Mighty_Emperor said:
MaxMolyneux said:

As this seems to be a deal breaker for you ;)

From what I hear she only has a body double for part of the lap dance scene as she couldn't make her ass do whatever they wanted her ass to do (I'll put reasonable money on it not being her inability to light her farts - we all know Keira Knightly has never had problems in that department).

No just go and watch the film!!

:lol:

I want to see her Arse do the lapdance scene! :cry:

Would tocool to see someone light there own farts. :lol:

No way would she light farts or fart! :p True is it why Imostly want tosee this movie though. ;)

PeniG said:
If the right person gives it a bad review I'll go like a shot. The important thing is to know how the reviewer's taste relates to your own. I miss Bob Polunski, who used to review movies here. If he hated it, it was a must-see; if he liked it, I could skip it. If he didn't understand a movie, it was definitely worth a shot - the worst we were likely to see was an interesting failure. The present move critic is much harder to figure out.

And I will watch stuff just to see certain actors do their thing.

I have a similar method. If a film has a good review/comment from the News of the World it is highly likely to be very poor indeed. This technique has not failed me yet in the local video shop.

Bad Review

John Lyttle of The New Statesman gave Domino a bad review and he got death threats! EG "I'm a friend of Keira's and I'm going to gut you because you made her cry for 24 hours."

He says that hes written about the Ulster Defence Association, gangsters in Brixton and illegal dumping of toxic waste without getting such threats. He wonders how Keira's fans got his phone number. Did they ring every JOhn Lyttle in the book?

Reported in The New Statesman, 31 October 2005.

I haven't seen the film, just trailers, but I agree with the comments about the accent. Now I realise that the whole premise of the film is that we have a posh British girl joining a bunch of tough American bounty hunters, but really, "Kick arse" indeed. Aaaargh!
Kind of reminds me of Fawlty Towers where Basil's trying to stand up to the obnoxious American guest, and he says "I'm going to go in there and break his bottom" or some such. At least that was supposed to make the audience laugh.

And a little treat for Max ;) :

Domino (R1) in February

New Line Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Domino for 14th February 2006 priced at $27.95 SRP. Starring Keira Knightley, the film is inspired by the life of Domino Harvey, a former model who rejected her privileged Beverly Hills life to become a bounty hunter. Along for the ride are Mickey Rourke, Christopher Walken, Lucy Liu, Mena Suvari, Mo'Nique, Delroy Lindo, Ian Ziering, Brian Austin Green and newcomer Edgar Ramirez. Directed by Tony Scott, the DVD will feature deleted scenes, audio commentaries and an “I am a Bounty Hunter” featurette, which offers an up-close and personal interview with the real Domino Harvey.

Available in separate Widescreen and Full Screen editions features include:

• * Dolby Digital 5.1-EX and Stereo Surround 2.0
    * English DTS-ES 6.1
    * English & Spanish subtitles
    * Audio commentary #1 with director Tony Scott and writer Richard Kelly
    * Audio commentary #2 with script notes and story development from director Tony Scott, executive producer Zach Schiff-Abrams, writer Richard Kelly and actor Tom Waits
    * Deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by director Tony Scott
    * “I am a Bounty Hunter” featurette: A look at the life of Domino Harvey with optional commentary from writer Richard Kelly and Domino Harvey
    * “Bounty Hunting on Acid: Evolution of a Visual Style” featurette: A look at Tony Scott’s visual style starting with his award-winning Marlboro ads through the gritty styling of Domino
    * Theatrical trailer
    * Teaser trailer

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59392

MaxMolyneux said:

A body double for Keira Knightly? Well any twelve year old boy would be able to do that.

I find myself involuntarily shouting "For god's sake woman eat a pie or something" every time I see her.

I'm getting treatment but it just isn't getting any better.

Back