Donald Trump's Two-Handed Drinking & Other Health Speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Mods: not politics!

Today the peculiar drinking technique of Donald Trump again got some attention.
There is a lot of speculation about it:
https://medium.com/@DrGJackBrown/bo...drinking-nonverbal-and-emotional-69889d7c5eb0

It’s possible the President has a loose denture/veneer (as demonstrated in the last minute of his speech on 6 December 2017 regarding Jerusalem) — or anxiety about this or similar dental problems, but it’s highly unlikely that it contributed to this bilateral hand behavior.
In a general, possible causes of President Trump’s two-handed drinking practice include disorders of the Central Nervous System (e.g., CVA, problems with proprioception, Trigeminal nerve lesion [CNS or PNS], etc.), the Peripheral Nervous System (e.g., peripheral neuropathy, etc.), or a pharmacologic (drug) side-effect (e.g., such as a psychomotor tremor secondary to stimulants, etc.). Any competent physician would recommend an immediate detailed neurologic evaluation.

It was already noticed in 2017:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...-spatial-problem-related-to-aging-or-dementia

And again yesterday:
https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/watch-trump-drinking-water-west-point/

It really looks weird, but I'm not qualified to analyze it:

One reason Trump’s moments with drinking water have gotten so much attention is because in 2016, he made fun of Marco Rubio for how he drank water. So ever since, the media and others have focused relentlessly on his water habits too.
:)

And there was an unscheduled hospital visit:
In November 2019, Trump had an exam and laboratory tests at Walter Reed Medical Center, BBC reported. This was 10 months after a previous annual exam had revealed he was in very good health, according to the White House. The Walter Reed visit wasn’t part of his schedule. His Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said he had the test because he had a “free weekend.” In a tweet she said: “Further speculation beyond the extensive and honest info I put out is wholly irresponsible and dangerous for the country.”

Classic Kremlinology is alive and well :)

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Mods: not politics!

Today the peculiar drinking technique of Donald Trump again got some attention.
There is a lot of speculation about it:
https://medium.com/@DrGJackBrown/bo...drinking-nonverbal-and-emotional-69889d7c5eb0

It’s possible the President has a loose denture/veneer (as demonstrated in the last minute of his speech on 6 December 2017 regarding Jerusalem) — or anxiety about this or similar dental problems, but it’s highly unlikely that it contributed to this bilateral hand behavior.
In a general, possible causes of President Trump’s two-handed drinking practice include disorders of the Central Nervous System (e.g., CVA, problems with proprioception, Trigeminal nerve lesion [CNS or PNS], etc.), the Peripheral Nervous System (e.g., peripheral neuropathy, etc.), or a pharmacologic (drug) side-effect (e.g., such as a psychomotor tremor secondary to stimulants, etc.). Any competent physician would recommend an immediate detailed neurologic evaluation.

It was already noticed in 2017:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...-spatial-problem-related-to-aging-or-dementia

And again yesterday:
https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/watch-trump-drinking-water-west-point/

It really looks weird, but I'm not qualified to analyze it:

One reason Trump’s moments with drinking water have gotten so much attention is because in 2016, he made fun of Marco Rubio for how he drank water. So ever since, the media and others have focused relentlessly on his water habits too.
:)

And there was an unscheduled hospital visit:
In November 2019, Trump had an exam and laboratory tests at Walter Reed Medical Center, BBC reported. This was 10 months after a previous annual exam had revealed he was in very good health, according to the White House. The Walter Reed visit wasn’t part of his schedule. His Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said he had the test because he had a “free weekend.” In a tweet she said: “Further speculation beyond the extensive and honest info I put out is wholly irresponsible and dangerous for the country.”

Classic Kremlinology is alive and well :)

Just by looking at that, he's not moving as freely at all as he was during 2019. Could be any number of things. Those sorts of jobs visibly age people.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
He is 74. So it could be his age. Or it could be a consequence of some meds - either being on meds, or coming off them (who knows).

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have to use 2 hands at times to drink out of a glass or bottle. My left hand was injured by a needle when I underwent dental surgery about 22 years ago. I am naturally left handed. Sometimes I forget and pick up the glass before slipping my pinky finger under the bottom of the glass and I can feel it slipping so, it's safer to just use 2 hands.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering ... Has anyone gone back through old photos and videos to check whether he's been using two hands all along?

Basic feeding / drinking movements can persist into adult life, raising the possibility it's simply a "fossil" childhood habit.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
When lifting my right arm, with my elbow bent, and something gripped in my hand, there's one very particular position at which muscles will begin to spasm slightly in my forearm, towards the wrist - and as a consequence my hand will begin to shake very slightly. It will only happen if I hold that position for any length of time, not if it's just part of one smooth movement.

Typically, I cannot recreate that precise thing now - but if you imagine lifting a glass of water to drink, I'd estimate it occurs usually when the glass is around 120mm - 150mm from my mouth. As far as I can remember, I've always experienced it.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering ... Has anyone gone back through old photos and videos to check whether he's been using two hands all along?

Basic feeding / drinking movements can persist into adult life, raising the possibility it's simply a "fossil" childhood habit.
Interesting.

It leads me on to wonder whether he could be one of the many people who were born naturally 'left-handed', but in childhood were heavily encouraged to use their right hand for writing etc.

I know a few people like this and they have more-or-less forced themselves to be right-handed, but still display left-handed reactions in spontaneous and instinctive situations.

I very often catch things one-handed for instance (usually with my dominant hand--right), and though the person I most have in mind can do this perfectly well, I've noticed that they also raise their left hand slightly (and completely ineffectually) without meaning to do so. It's almost as though the left hand lurks around beneath the right as insurance against a fumble.

Just wondering.

Edit: Perhaps a move to Notes & Queries?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
It leads me on to wonder whether he could be one of the many people who were born naturally 'left-handed', but in childhood were heavily encouraged to use their right hand for writing etc.

I know a few people like this and they have more-or-less forced themselves to be right-handed, but still display left-handed reactions in spontaneous and instinctive situations.
It certainly looks something like that in the 2017 video. He open the bottle with his left hand then uses both to lift it. In the other examples he is lifting the glass with his right hand. How do right-handers open bottles? Presumably with the right hand twisting the cap.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How do right-handers open bottles? Presumably with the right hand twisting the cap.
I tested this right now. I grab the bottle with my right hand and remove the cap with the left. I was surprised that I even do it when more force is needed, for jam jars etc.
Dominant hand holds the jar.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I tested this right now. I grab the bottle with my right hand and remove the cap with the left. I was surprised that I even do it when more force is needed, for jam jars etc.
Dominant hand holds the jar.
Hmm. I'm right handed and do the opposite. Weird. Although I do some things different to other right handers- I wear my watch on the right and shoulder a bag on the right.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Maybe it's linked to one of the phobias that The Donald has? Like walking up or down steps.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He is an old man. Being a bit progressively doddery is normal. If it affects his ability to do his job then it's of concern but otherwise it's just a weird quirk.

Last edited:

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Hmm okay, maybe we can't read anything into the bottle opening hand then!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The thread will be locked if we start playing silly buggers.
Sorry Yith. I was trying to be serious though. Maybe there is a link that explains it other than an existing health matter?

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for earlier examples of the water drinking there were a couple of ones where he was using specifically a champagne or wine glass and he was not using his hands. He does not drink alcohol so this may be down to not actually drinking just raising the glass to his lips? One example was at a reception held by Prince Charles and another by the Emperor of Japan.
As I was looking at various videos he does seem to have a compuslion to move things around on the table in front of him when he sits down.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Sorry Yith. I was trying to be serious though. Maybe there is a link that explains it other than an existing health matter?
Something is wrong - his gait, etc for a man who's had the best medical care all his life suggests he's a bit messed up. I walked like that for a year or so going downstairs after my knee gave out, though I'd say it's his back.

Like FDR and Kennedy though he's not going to admit it particularly in light of the next campaign. You don't admit weakness.

They'll remove anything like stairs from now on. They'll make sure his bottle cap is unscrewed - I'm thinking they'll limit his long drawn out public speaking.

You got 2 old age pensioners, ( that both grew up in the 50's) battling for the presidency - both should not be anywhere near it. Trump has aged visibly over the last couple of months. Blair did, Obama - the job will kill you.

XBergMann

Fear not, I mean no harm to your planet
Reaction score
Something is wrong - his gait, etc for a man who's had the best medical care all his life suggests he's a bit messed up. I walked like that for a year or so going downstairs after my knee gave out, though I'd say it's his back.

Like FDR and Kennedy though he's not going to admit it particularly in light of the next campaign. You don't admit weakness.

They'll remove anything like stairs from now on. They'll make sure his bottle cap is unscrewed - I'm thinking they'll limit his long drawn out public speaking.

You got 2 old age pensioners, ( that both grew up in the 50's) battling for the presidency - both should not be anywhere near it. Trump has aged visibly over the last couple of months. Blair did, Obama - the job will kill you.
They can't limit his public speaking, he's going back to rallies where he waffles on for hours.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
They can't limit his public speaking, he's going back to rallies where he waffles on for hours.
He is not an idiot and this is his thing. If he appears weak he' s not going to highlight it. His whole communication over the last weeks has been muted.

Anyhow it is drifting into politics. I'm more interested in the effect a job has on a person. We get banned for talking politics.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
But he allegedly does have issues with stairs? ...
There was at least one incident in which he slipped on the stairs getting on or off Air Force One. However, this isn't unique - both Presidents Ford and Reagan famously slipped getting on / off the presidential airplane.

This January 2017 Business Insider item focuses on Trump's alleged fear of stairs after an incident occurring when he hosted Theresa May at the White House. It tilts toward presuming such rumors are unjustified ...
The rumour that Donald Trump is afraid of stairs came from Downing Street

Someone wants the world to believe that the real reason US President Donald Trump briefly grabbed UK Prime Minister Theresa May's hand during her visit to the White House last week is because he has a phobia of walking down stairs.

Needless to say, you should treat this rumour with caution: There is almost zero direct evidence that Donald Trump is so afraid of stairs he must grasp the hand of another adult to climb them.

Nonetheless, the mere existence of the story — reported in The Times of London, the Washington Post, the Daily Mail, and The Mirror — illustrates the way Trump's real idiosyncrasies give birth to sketchy memes that take on a life of their own: Trump does claim to be a germaphobe, he does remain obsessed with an insult published in Spy magazine over 31 years ago that called him "a short-fingered vulgarian," and he is such a homebody that he flew his private jet home to New York most nights on the campaign trail rather than stay over locally.

So it feels plausible that he might have a quirk about steps and stairs, because his other quirks are real. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.businessinsider.com/is-donald-trump-is-afraid-of-stairs-steps-2017-1

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The two-handed water drinking became a subject of press chatter during 2017. This January 2018 Atlantic article returns to the question of Trump's cognitive / neurological health a year after the article cited above.
Is Something Neurologically Wrong With Donald Trump?

It is best not to diagnose the president from afar, which is why the federal government needs a system to evaluate him up close.

Viewers of Trump’s recent speeches have begun noticing minor abnormalities in his movements. In November, he used his free hand to steady a small Fiji bottle as he brought it to his mouth. Onlookers described the movement as “awkward” and made jokes about hand size. Some called out Trump for doing the exact thing he had mocked Senator Marco Rubio for during the presidential primary—conspicuously drinking water during a speech. ...

By comparison, Rubio’s movement was smooth, effortless. The senator noticed that Trump had stared at the Fiji bottle as he slowly brought it to his lips, jokingly chiding that Trump “needs work on his form. Has to be done in one single motion, and eyes should never leave the camera.”

Then, in December, speaking about his national-security plan in Washington, D.C., Trump reached under his podium and grabbed a glass with both hands. This time he kept them on the glass the entire time he drank, and as he put down the glass. This drew even more attention. The gesture was like that of an extremely cold person cradling a mug of cocoa. Some viewers likened Trump to a child just learning to handle a cup.

Then there was an incident of slurred speech. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/01/trump-cog-decline/548759/

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Please let me preemptively defend why I put this in "conspiracy".

My hypothesis is that these weird details will get excessively amplified as the campaign proceeds. We will hear more and more about this. For other people and in other circumstances people would just shrug.

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
I think it looks like he's trying to drink without having no tip his head backwards, preferring to tip the glass or bottle to horizontal. So I would guess:

a) A possible neck injury - he tilts the glass or bottle up rather than tipping his head/neck back.
b) A way of making sure that he doesn't spill or dribble on his suit/tie by making sure that the glass or bottle is never more than horizontal.
c) He doesn't want his hair to fall off...be disturbed.
d) Same as b) but as to not spoil his tan/make-up by dripping water onto it.
e) Damage in his right wrist preventing the necessary tipping motion so the left has to help.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are excellent points, Ringo! It hadn't occurred to me it could be a matter of over-cautious stage behavior.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I think it looks like he's trying to drink without having no tip his head backwards, preferring to tip the glass or bottle to horizontal. So I would guess:

a) A possible neck injury - he tilts the glass or bottle up rather than tipping his head/neck back.
b) A way of making sure that he doesn't spill or dribble on his suit/tie by making sure that the glass or botte is never more than horizontal.
c) He doesn't want his hair to fall off...be disturbed
d) Same as b) but as to not spoil his tan/make-up by dripping water onto it
e) Damage in his right wrist preventing the necessary tipping motion so the left has to help.
This is my thinking - back injury or as you point out neck injury.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Could be a rotator cuff injury.
Or a wrist injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.