Donald Trump's Two-Handed Drinking & Other Health Speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
Those are excellent points, Ringo! It hadn't occurred to me it could be a matter of over-cautious stage behavior.
Didn't he drink through a straw at some important white-tie function? I thought that was for the same reason - just like models and actors do when they are made-up.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't he drink through a straw at some important white-tie function? I thought that was for the same reason - just like models and actors do when they are made-up.
Here's a photo of him drinking his Diet Coke through a straw at some sort of formal dinner(?). I'm not sure about the date or venue, but this photo dates back at least as far as 2017.

1*Dpnimi33ymm3GB5jN-JgeA.jpeg

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I have to use 2 hands at times to drink out of a glass or bottle. My left hand was injured by a needle when I underwent dental surgery about 22 years ago. I am naturally left handed. Sometimes I forget and pick up the glass before slipping my pinky finger under the bottom of the glass and I can feel it slipping so, it's safer to just use 2 hands.
This ^ I know i do this when i cant quite grip the glass because my wrist or fingers are a little weak sometimes, as glass is the worst as its slippy

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This ^ I know i do this when i cant quite grip the glass because my wrist or fingers are a little weak sometimes, as glass is the worst as its slippy
I learned that the hard way. I was couch surfing and picked up my 8 oz glass of ice water covered in condensation... I wore every drop of that 8 oz's.

Lesson learned. :pop: :cskull:

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
I learned that the hard way. I was couch surfing and picked up my 8 oz glass of ice water covered in condensation... I wore every drop of that 8 oz's.

Lesson learned. :pop: :cskull:
Been there , got the T-shirt.....raging Polymyagia and arthritis, not so funny when you find you are wearing soup and dinner, now down to three plates.:(

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
If you drank with two hands at my school you would be referred to as a "spastic", "mong", "flid" or "cabbage", I may have missed one. I am no physician myself but perhaps it is one or more of these conditions?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
If you drank with two hands at my school you would be referred to as a "spastic", "mong", "flid" or "cabbage", I may have missed one. I am no physician myself but perhaps it is one or more of these conditions?
Those aren't "conditions" - they're dumbass attributions of infirmity / inferiority projected onto to others by kids or mental age regressed adults.

Get back on-topic, please - or else ...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I have to use 2 hands at times to drink out of a glass or bottle. My left hand was injured by a needle when I underwent dental surgery about 22 years ago. I am naturally left handed. Sometimes I forget and pick up the glass before slipping my pinky finger under the bottom of the glass and I can feel it slipping so, it's safer to just use 2 hands.
We have some drinks tumblers with a finger-grip underneath. They look like glass but are actually some kid of indestructible plastic.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Please let me preemptively defend why I put this in "conspiracy".

My hypothesis is that these weird details will get excessively amplified as the campaign proceeds. We will hear more and more about this. For other people and in other circumstances people would just shrug.
This is true.

Hillary Clinton's spasms and seizures had people believing she'd not even make it to election night four years ago.

Expect the same propaganda about Trump over the next few months.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He is not an idiot and this is his thing. If he appears weak he' s not going to highlight it. His whole communication over the last weeks has been muted.

Anyhow it is drifting into politics. I'm more interested in the effect a job has on a person. We get banned for talking politics.
He is not an idiot, but he is wilfully ignorant...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Something is wrong - his gait, etc for a man who's had the best medical care all his life suggests he's a bit messed up. I walked like that for a year or so going downstairs after my knee gave out, though I'd say it's his back.

Like FDR and Kennedy though he's not going to admit it particularly in light of the next campaign. You don't admit weakness.

They'll remove anything like stairs from now on. They'll make sure his bottle cap is unscrewed - I'm thinking they'll limit his long drawn out public speaking.

You got 2 old age pensioners, ( that both grew up in the 50's) battling for the presidency - both should not be anywhere near it. Trump has aged visibly over the last couple of months. Blair did, Obama - the job will kill you.
I had both knees operated on when I was 40 (arthritis, torn medial meniscus among other things) and for years afterwards going down steps and slopes was uncomfortable and awkward. Much less so now but I still find it easier going upstairs; and Victory's suggestion of a rotator cuff injury has the ring of truth to it too – I've damaged my right rotator cuff twice in the last two years, and have used my left arm to support my right when lifting. It's not the same as Trump but similar-ish, maybe a golf-related wear-and-tear injury? Mine was caused by a fall of a bike and carrying a very heavy bag that squashed my shoulder muscles.

I'm right-handed and I always hold the bottle or jar with my right hand and use my left to grip the lid, even with champagne! It feels more natural.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
He is not an idiot, but he is wilfully ignorant...
I was called a Trump apologist for saying that the reason the POTUS thought you could inject Lysol is because he has never once cleaned a surface himself, nor read the content of a Lysol bottle. Apparently I was making excuses for him.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was called a Trump apologist for saying that the reason the POTUS thought you could inject Lysol is because he has never once cleaned a surface himself, nor read the content of a Lysol bottle. Apparently I was making excuses for him.
Back in the day lysol was pushed for use as a douche for 'feminine hygiene', which itself was code for contraception.
Its more than possible a man his age had a folk memory of this when he made that statement. Less idiocy and dementia?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...use-its-disinfectant-as-birth-control-218734/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Trump's niece's new book apparently asserts that her uncle's strange walk is down to faecal incontinence.

Dunno about this. If people are incontinent they needn't walk funny as there are excellent products on the market to help them. You can get pants that fit closely and don't leak. You'd still smell though so you have to change them often and have a disposal plan.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Trump's niece's new book apparently asserts that her uncle's strange walk is down to faecal incontinence.

Dunno about this. If people are incontinent they needn't walk funny as there are excellent products on the market to help them. You can get pants that fit closely and don't leak. You'd still smell though so you have to change them often and have a disposal plan.
Thats a well kept secret if it was true. Like you say, it smells. People would notice.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
That depends how in-denial they are about it. :(

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

I can't find anything about this do you have a link?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
This is gaining traction: now Trump has had to deny he has Parkinson's because of his awkward drinking behaviour. I'm reminded of Airplane's drinking problem.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
The two-handed water drinking became a subject of press chatter during 2017. This January 2018 Atlantic article returns to the question of Trump's cognitive / neurological health a year after the article cited above.

FULL STORY: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/01/trump-cog-decline/548759/
I just wanted to go back to this article for a bit because it mentions something that I find quite astonishing - that there is nothing in place to deal with a president who had some sort of medical problem, no matter how much it affects their ability to do that job.

A president could be actively hallucinating, threatening to launch a nuclear attack based on intelligence he had just obtained from David Bowie, and the medical community could be relegated to speculation from afar.
Scary.

Last edited by a moderator:

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I just wanted to go back to this article for a bit because it mentions something that I find quite astonishing - that there is nothing in place to deal with a president who had some sort of medical problem, no matter how much it affects their ability to do that job.

Scary.
The 25th amendment covers the process for a president that is not able to do the job. The process has never been used. I would assume there are procedures in place for when a President would be temporarily unavailable, if they were undergoing surgery or the like.

----------------
Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Last edited by a moderator:

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
The 25th amendment covers the process for a president that is not able to do the job. The process has never been used. I would assume there are procedures in place for when a President would be temporarily unavailable, if they were undergoing surgery or the like.
According to the article, only if the President themself allows it.
The great weakness of the Twenty-Fifth Amendment is its provision for determining disability in the event that the president is unable or unwilling to certify to impairment or disability.”

Indeed, the 1967 amendment laid out a process for transferring power to the vice president in the event that the president is unable to carry out the duties of the office because of illness. But it generally assumed that the president would be willing to undergo diagnostic testing and be forthcoming about any limitations.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

----------------
Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
The earlier seasons of The West Wing had this as the plot. The president had MS and kept it quiet. The case was laid that it wasnt the illness and its potential incapacitation that was a problem but the fact he covered it up and had other people do it too.

Trump is very good at bluster. Even if someone asked him out right if he has an illness he'll deflect in the usual way.

Status
Not open for further replies.