• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Don't Drink Anti-Freeze!

taras

Least Haunted
WHISKY WAS JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED AFTER ANTI-FREEZE POISON SCARE

09:00 - 30 December 2002

An angus councillor was rushed to hospital after accidentally drinking anti-freeze left on a table by a relative planning to put it in her car.

Glennis Middleton was taken from the relative's home in Forfar to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, where she was told the only cure was to drink alcohol - and lots of it.

The Forfar West councillor had been helping her relative to decorate on December 22 when the potentially fatal incident happened.

It was thirsty work and Mrs Middleton - who was not wearing her glasses - reached out to the bottle left on the table. She drank about three mouthfuls before realising something was wrong.

After contacting a GP at Green Street Surgery in Forfar, Mrs Middleton was instructed to make her way to the accident and emergency department of Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.

Staff gave the councillor a choice of tipple, between gin, vodka and whisky, before giving her two cupfuls to drink immediately.

She was then given a quantity of whisky every hour, with the measure worked out as staff monitored the levels of anti-freeze in her blood.

Mrs Middleton, 51, said: "I am extremely concerned that on the bottle itself there was no indication that medical attention must be sought as a matter of urgency, and indeed that the contents of the bottle are extremely toxic.

"Some bottles obviously do, but on the bottle in question there was no mention of how dangerous the contents can be.

"I was thirsty, I didn't have my glasses on and it was there. When it first happened I wasn't unduly worried because it didn't say on the bottle that I should be.

"It was only after my daughter phoned the GP that we discovered that this could be potentially serious.

"I was shocked to discover that on a previous occasion someone had died after drinking anti-freeze, and I was informed that this could prove fatal."

She added: "I am very grateful to the staff of accident and emergency at Ninewells for their prompt attention and also to the staff of the short-stay ward who looked after me so well.

"I would urge people who find themselves in a similar predicament to seek medical attention immediately."

Dr Shobhan Thakore, of Ninewells Hospital accident and emergency department, said: "It's potentially very serious. Anti-freeze is made up of two different types of alcohol potentially, ethylene glycol and methanol.

"Potentially, fairly small amounts can kill you. Even 100mls of anti-freeze can kill someone.

"The problem is when they are broken down by the body. When the body breaks them down it produces products which are toxic.

"If it is left untreated, the potential is that it causes kidney failure and can cause seizures and the methanol can cause blindness. It's not something we see frequently."

He added that anyone who consumes anti-freeze should make their way to hospital immediately, bringing the bottle with them.

"Ordinary alcohol is an antidote to it. We need to give them the correct dose of alcohol and monitor their blood levels to check they're not coming to any harm.

"It's important that they don't treat themselves at home."

I recall an episode of The Simpsons where Bart is sent to work on a french vinyard and the owners top up that years wine with anti-freeze.
Now obviously we can't go basing our medical and scientific education on cartoons but it had me wondering at the time whether this was a common practice.
Now I'm just confused.

Does no one recall the great Austrian wine scandal???

The European food regulation authority discovered, sometime about 1985, that the wine industry in Austria was doping its exports with glycol. This made otherwise bitter and undrinkable wines sweeter and more cloying. The whole of the production from that year was condemned. There was sufficient glycol in the product that the Austrians were for some years using the condemned wine instead of salt on icy roads.

As for the lady in Scotland - it sounds like a wonderful way to get pissed on the NHS.

Yes, Intaglio, I recall the Austrian wine scandal.

All a bit confusing, given that German & Austrian wines are weirdly
rated by their sugar content so the lower the alcohol the greater the
wine is presumed to be.

I will now be judging the finalists in the 1985 vintage competition.

. . . and the winner, without a doubt is the Carplan Wintercare, available
from as Asda near you at a bargain £2.99 per litre. . .

Wait a minute, I think this Liebfraumilch may be cheaper and just as
good for a cold start on these Winter mornings. :cross eye

How could she drink 3 mouthfuls before she realised? :cross eye

How could she drink 3 mouthfuls before she realised
She was obviously stupid as well as short sighted, isn't that why they make weird colours? But then maybe she thought it was WKD blue :)

Mrs Middleton, 51, said: "I am extremely concerned that on the bottle itself there was no indication that medical attention must be sought as a matter of urgency, and indeed that the contents of the bottle are extremely toxic.

Ah, I feel a lawsuit coming on :eek:

Jane.

This New Zealand fishing boat skipper rolled his truck off a road and had to spend a night in the bush before walking for help. He had an "insatiable thirst" following the accident, so he claimed to have drunk much water from a stream where he spent the night. He also apparently drank a substantial amount of anti-freeze from his truck's cooling system. It killed him ...
Crashed skipper died after drinking antifreeze during night in bush

A skipper who crashed on his way to work and died the next day in hospital had fatally ingested antifreeze.

Pryor Alan Lee, 36, drove off a hillside road in the outer Marlborough Sounds on March 6, 2019, and spent a night outdoors before walking to a house and getting a ride to Nelson Hospital.

However, he suddenly deteriorated. Despite full efforts to resuscitate him, he died in intensive care that afternoon.

A toxicologist found Lee had consumed ethylene glycol, also known as antifreeze, a chemical used in car radiators, coroner Meenal Duggal said in her findings released this week. ...

Lee was a skipper for NZ King Salmon, working seven days on and seven days off and staying with either his parents or partner in Greymouth ...

He was driving on Te Towaka-Port Ligar Rd, an unsealed road that connects the outer Marlborough Sounds to Rai Valley, when his 2011 Ford Ranger went off the road and rolled down the steep hillside, coming to a stop about 200 metres below the road.

He pulled himself from the vehicle but was unable to climb back up the hill, so he spent the night in the bush drinking from a stream to quench his “insatiable thirst”.

In the morning, Lee made his way to a house in French Pass. He looked “clearly bashed up” but he refused medical help because he didn’t want to be airlifted to Wellington. ...

In the end, the homeowners drove him to Nelson Hospital as it fitted in with their plans. They said Lee was talkative and coherent on the drive, but he was breathing heavily and had a pain in his chest. ...

Lee was alert but confused and had an increased heart rate by the time they arrived at hospital about noon. By 3.40pm he had deteriorated rapidly.

He was admitted to intensive care where he was intubated and ventilated, as he was suffering from high potassium and severe acidosis, a buildup of acid in the blood. Despite full resuscitation efforts he could not be revived and was pronounced dead. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough...fter-drinking-antifreeze-during-night-in-bush

This New Zealand fishing boat skipper rolled his truck off a road and had to spend a night in the bush before walking for help. He had an "insatiable thirst" following the accident, so he claimed to have drunk much water from a stream where he spent the night. He also apparently drank a substantial amount of anti-freeze from his truck's cooling system. It killed him ...

FULL STORY: https://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough...fter-drinking-antifreeze-during-night-in-bush

Am l alone in getting a chicken/egg vibe from that tale? Was the ingestion consequent on the RTA, or vice versa?

maximus otter

Am l alone in getting a chicken/egg vibe from that tale? Was the ingestion consequent on the RTA, or vice versa?

My interpretation was that the raging thirst (and confusion) was caused by the rollover accident.

They only had the late driver's word that he'd drunk from the stream overnight. On the other hand, one must wonder how a dazed guy could see in the dark to get at the anti-freeze in the engine bay. The story wasn't clear on whether the truck had come to rest upside-down or right-side-up.

The other odd issue mentioned in the full news report is that while the local couple were taking him to the hospital they mentioned an earlier accident in which a truck had gone off the (same?) road. The late driver admitted he'd been the driver in that earlier incident, too.

My interpretation was that the raging thirst (and confusion) was caused by the rollover accident.

They only had the late driver's word that he'd drunk from the stream overnight. On the other hand, one must wonder how a dazed guy could see in the dark to get at the anti-freeze in the engine bay. The story wasn't clear on whether the truck had come to rest upside-down or right-side-up.

The other odd issue mentioned in the full news report is that while the local couple were taking him to the hospital they mentioned an earlier accident in which a truck had gone off the (same?) road. The late driver admitted he'd been the driver in that earlier incident, too.

This tale reeks more and more. He had unlimited access to a stream of water, yet deliberately switched to antifreeze?

It might have been the case that he was drunk, which caused the RTA. (His previous shunt in the same area tends to support this theory.) Thinking that ingesting antifreeze might mask the alcohol on his breath/in his system, he swigged some before going to seek help. The time delay between the RTA and his leaving the scene supports this hypothesis: He knew the area (previous RTA) so could hardly have been lost enough to have to wait for light before finding assistance.

maximus otter

Not that easy to get anti freeze from a truck unless it was leaking out of the radiator , it's cap or a punctured hose.

Back