• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Don't Mess With The Fairies

They say that green is the colour of the fairies and wearing it brings bad luck (or that's what I've read, anyway).

When I got married last time round, in 2008, I wanted to wear a green wedding dress. In the back of my mind I knew it was supposed to bring bad luck but the dress was so gorgeous and lovely, and I had red hair so it looked amazing. I went to the trouble of 'asking the fairies permission' by going to a local spring and well and leaving an offering.

I wore the green dress. It was forest green, halter-backed with a corset bodice and a train. Very lovely. I was marrying a man with whom I was utterly in love and he with me and we had a fabulous day, everything was perfect.

Less than three years later he left me and I was beside myself. We'd been happy for five years before we married, we were happy after the wedding, but he changed and wanted out. I kept the dress and sometimes look at it, but I'll never wear it again because - well. You just never know.
And I wore black when I got married.
No flowers or frills, went to the Mayor in a nearby town and just did it.
At one point during it, when I looked at Mr. R he looked emotional, I was surprised. :)

They say that green is the colour of the fairies and wearing it brings bad luck (or that's what I've read, anyway).

When I got married last time round, in 2008, I wanted to wear a green wedding dress. In the back of my mind I knew it was supposed to bring bad luck but the dress was so gorgeous and lovely, and I had red hair so it looked amazing. I went to the trouble of 'asking the fairies permission' by going to a local spring and well and leaving an offering.

I wore the green dress. It was forest green, halter-backed with a corset bodice and a train. Very lovely. I was marrying a man with whom I was utterly in love and he with me and we had a fabulous day, everything was perfect.

Less than three years later he left me and I was beside myself. We'd been happy for five years before we married, we were happy after the wedding, but he changed and wanted out. I kept the dress and sometimes look at it, but I'll never wear it again because - well. You just never know.
I'd have blamed the fairies - serves em right.

A long read, but worthwhile - especially as I am Cornish born and bred!
What surprised me is the huge variation when it comes to describing Piskeys.
They are either benign or malign, helpful or mischievous tricksters, spirits or real flesh and blood, as small as a moth or resembling squat humans, with wide faces, large eyes and noses, heavy brows and dressed in rags or animal hide. The latter description made me wonder if, in some instances, they are a folk memory of the pre-Celtic Palaeolithic or Mesolithic occupants of Cornwall.

They are either benign or malign, helpful or mischievous tricksters, spirits or real flesh and blood, as small as a moth or resembling squat humans, with wide faces, large eyes and noses, heavy brows and dressed in rags or animal hide. The latter description made me wonder if, in some instances, they are a folk memory of the pre-Celtic Palaeolithic or Mesolithic occupants of Cornwall.
I think there are several explanations, some late survival of a pre-human race and something paranormal akin to what we now call alien abduction. It's one of the things i tackle in my upcoming book The Highest Strangeness.

I repeat the Irish tale, of when a many met a fairy who was very tall, he told him he was meant to be small, the fairy replied, we appear as we want to appear, and I really agree with that with the vast variety of monsters, UFO occupants, and of course elves, pixies and fairies

They seem to have a wicked sense of humor and delight in tricking and confusing humans I am convinced the whole Alien Big Cat thing is their doing

Back