• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Don't Mess With The Fairies

The guy that made the film want to make more about West Country mysteries. Dragons, big cats and even great white sharks in UK waters are on the list of things we want to cover.

Lordmongrove my stupid machine will not play your film. I guess you'll have to describe it to me, if you are willing.

Fairies shouldn't mess with Ryanair.

A "disruptive fairy" forced delays on a Ryanair flight after armed police were called to remove him from the plane.

"Tinkerbell" and another passenger had caused trouble on the flight due to take off earlier from London Stansted Airport for Krakow, Poland.

The man, dressed as the Peter Pan character, and his fellow passenger, were given words of advice by Essex Police and booked on a later flight.

Ryanair said it would "not tolerate unruly or disruptive behaviour".

One passenger on the plane tweeted to say his flight had not yet taken off because of "a man dressed as Tinkerbell".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-45219493

He'll never live it down.

The Fairies will get revenge for this.

The Tara Skryne Preservation Group is appealing to visitors to stop tying non-biodegradable tokens to trees at the Hill of Tara

After a Wishing Tree at the Hill of Tara in Co Meath toppled due to the weight of items tied to its branches, a volunteer organization is urging visitors to be more cautious when visiting the site.

The Tara Skryne Preservation Group, a volunteer organization who works to preserve the area of the Tara Skryne Valley in Co Meath, shared a video of the fallen Wishing Tree on June 24:

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/wishing-tree-hill-of-tara

From the list of the Top Ten Fairy Books made by Beachcombing,
[ http://www.strangehistory.net/2012/07/07/top-ten-fairy-books/ ]
I want to call your attention upon the book written by Mac Manus. Here is his small review of it:

A little known book describing fairy belief in Ireland in the late nineteenth and the first half of the twentieth century. DMM was a friend of Yeats and himself a believer in fairies and pulled together here a series of peculiarly vivid accounts of rural fairy sightings at the end of Anglo-Irish ascendancy and then as De Valera’s Catholic ascendancy was shaking the last breaths out of the sidhe. The constant references to grandfather’s gardeners, cousins, friends, friends of friends is peculiarly Irish pre or post partition: the island is small, after all. But there is none of that saccharine nonsense (‘they had lovely rainbow wings…’) that infects later works on fairies: this is the only work on this list that will give you nightmares.

It is available at the Open Library (each patron can keep a book borrowed for up to 15 days).
Both of these are the same book, the order of the chapters is different in both editions.

UK, The Middle Kingdom:
https://openlibrary.org/works/OL6455523W/The_middle_kingdom

US, Irish Earth Folk:
https://openlibrary.org/works/OL17682810W/Irish_earth_folk

Not really got anything meaty to add here, but just wanted to post that have been re-watching 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' and it occurs to me that the fairies in that - creepy, sinister, perilous, charming, untrustworthy, tricksters - are closer than any other in more recent literature to those found in folk tales, which are probably the 'true' fairies of folklore... And I'm really enjoying re-watching it as it makes me remember all those Ruth L. Tongue books of British folklore my dad got me when I was a kid. And I was used to these tame, nice, cute and pretty Victorian fairies but even as a child, in those books, you glimpsed something way more terrifying. But also way more interesting.

Anyone got any further fairy films, tv, or books to add, I'd be grateful!

Not really got anything meaty to add here, but just wanted to post that have been re-watching 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' and it occurs to me that the fairies in that - creepy, sinister, perilous, charming, untrustworthy, tricksters - are closer than any other in more recent literature to those found in folk tales, which are probably the 'true' fairies of folklore... And I'm really enjoying re-watching it as it makes me remember all those Ruth L. Tongue books of British folklore my dad got me when I was a kid. And I was used to these tame, nice, cute and pretty Victorian fairies but even as a child, in those books, you glimpsed something way more terrifying. But also way more interesting.

Have you seen Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro, it's spanish but worth reading the subtitles for. ( one of my favorite films )

Please do more Fortean TV. That was interesting.
Agreed. I'd like to see more of that.

This story reminded me of one I read on the internet, years ago. The written account of it seems long gone, but the person involved (Poppy Palin, who after this happened became a well known Tarot artist), has made a YouTube video. Gonna watch this now, so can't vouch for it but recall the written version was fascinating:

Have you seen Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro, it's spanish but worth reading the subtitles for. ( one of my favorite films )
Yes but oddly we were watching it years back on a DVD that broke before the last bit so I have never seen the ending!

Talking of labrynths, we were at the City of Troy, the other day. My mate is buried in graveyard nearby in Terrington, and we stumbled on this last year when going to visit her. Apparently, it might be Victorian it could be way older...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Town
AD319CC5-A623-4A94-8137-40CEEA673D7C.JPG

0D6EA0AB-1D88-4950-86E2-0E9D269FBCEF.JPG

Yes but oddly we were watching it years back on a DVD that broke before the last bit so I have never seen the ending!

Talking of labrynths, we were at the City of Troy, the other day. My mate is buried in graveyard nearby in Terrington, and we stumbled on this last year when going to visit her. Apparently, it might be Victorian it could be way older...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Town
View attachment 23337

View attachment 23336
That is beautiful, will be looking at your link in a bit. You really should see the end of the film, I'm pretty tough but It always chokes me up. Another of Del Toro's films you may like If not already seen is The Devils Backbone, no fairies but ghosts.

That is beautiful, will be looking at your link in a bit. You really should see the end of the film, I'm pretty tough but It always chokes me up. Another of Del Toro's films you may like If not already seen is The Devils Backbone, no fairies but ghosts.

A superb film, difficult to say if it is better than Pan's Labyrinth as it's more horror than fantasy, both great films

Thanks, I'll go and find them!

I still mourn a little for the loss of Del Toro's version of 'The Hobbit'. Much as I love Peter Jackson, I think Del Toro would have done a better (sad to say) version of it...

Prince Edward Island, 1902.

The island had an important number of
Highland settlers, as, indeed, did much of the
Maritimes. ‘Some of them firmly believed in the
existence of fairies. They believed that the power
of wizards and witches to do mischief, far
exceeded common belief.’ Perhaps Roderick, the
hero of this anecdote, came from among
nineteenth-century Highland settlers?

Our author
recalls, in any case, how Roderick, who had a
reputation for supernatural powers, had invited his
neighbours to a dance. At a certain point Roderick
had vanished and the party-goers followed his
footprints in the snow to where Roderick had
started to run and then mysteriously disappeared,
his footprints ending on the top of a fence.
Roderick eventually returned four hours later and
described what had happened to him.

O… those cursed fairies have been after me again.
They plague me incessantly. I cannot rid myself of
them by any means. To-night, just as I was
coming in, two of them seized me, compelled me
to drop my lantern, and then took me off to
some foreign land. I think it must have been
across the Atlantic ocean, for I never saw so
much water before.

After hurrying me through
many strange places they at last turned westward
again: and crossing that vast ocean, one of them
who seemed to be the leader asked if I would go
with him the next time he came. I told him no,
and all at once I was immersed in the billows
beneath me; and each time I refused his request
he ducked me in the briny ocean, and threatened
me with many and more terrible punishments,
until at length I was fain to give in, and tell him
yes I would go again.

I was a Extra in that in the ghosts ship invading the French and fun it was.

Back