• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Don't Mess With The Fairies

Interesting article on an Irish farmer from Galway and his experience with Fairies...

'Looking at fairies on my farm is the same as looking at traffic in Dublin' - Farmer who has 'the words' celebrates May Day

“Looking at fairies on my farm is the same as looking at traffic in Dublin. But they don’t come everyday.”

“I kind of expect it. When I was younger if I hadn’t seen them, you’d think there was something wrong. I’ve seen them on a good few occasions after that.”

Pat Noone (52) lives on a 60-acre farm in Galway, and says that 16 acres of it is a fairy field – complete with a fairy fort, a fairy tree and a tunnel running through it.

On his land also lies a megalithic cairn and a fairy stone, monuments that have attracted visitors as far away from Pakistan.

“[The fairy field] has the portal to the fairies – where the whitethorn meets the blackthorn. I have a cairn where an Irish chieftain was buried - there are a lot of those in Sligo.”

“[The fairy field is] a very special place and people have come out frightened out of it.”

Growing up, Pat would hear his father regal visitors with folklore tales, and he’d see him giving tours around the farm.

“My father was a historian as well as a great folklorist, and had a lot of history of the local area – he was an authority on local history.”
https://www.independent.ie/life/loo...as-the-words-celebrates-may-day-37937451.html

I think it's fair to say we have an unbeliever here: 1966 and one chap wants to be buried alive in a Fairy Fort to disprove their existence; others think him foolhardy.

Worth watching for language and mannerisms alone:

There were many interviews of this type in the 50's and 60's. I wondered then, and it's still the case even today, whether these interviews were merely designed to set the interviewee up to be ridiculed.

The Fairies will get revenge for this.

The Tara Skryne Preservation Group is appealing to visitors to stop tying non-biodegradable tokens to trees at the Hill of Tara

After a Wishing Tree at the Hill of Tara in Co Meath toppled due to the weight of items tied to its branches, a volunteer organization is urging visitors to be more cautious when visiting the site.

The Tara Skryne Preservation Group, a volunteer organization who works to preserve the area of the Tara Skryne Valley in Co Meath, shared a video of the fallen Wishing Tree on June 24:

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/wishing-tree-hill-of-tara

Moronic vandalism on Hill of Tara.

Vandalism at the ancient Lia Fáil standing stone on the Hill of Tara in Co Meath is under investigation by gardaí.

The word “fake” was painted on to the 5,000-year-old granite stone, which is one of the main attractions at the former seat of the High Kings of Ireland.

A Garda spokesman confirmed they were investigating criminal damage to the monument, reported on Tuesday.

[ Plan aims to protect and conserve Hill of Tara ]

The spokesman said it was understood the stone was sprayed with graffiti sometime between Monday evening and Tuesday morning. Gardaí in Navan have opened an investigation and are appealing for information.

The Lia Fáil, or Stone of Destiny, has been damaged or vandalised on several occasions. It is located on the Inauguration mound on the Hill of Tara.

It served as the coronation stone for the High Kings and, according to legend, was said to have sung or cried out when touched by the foot of a legitimate Irish ruler.

https://www.irishtimes.com/history/...of-hill-of-tara-standing-stone-a-desecration/

From today's Atlas Obscura newsletter:

What Is a Fairy Fort?​

In Ireland, fears about disturbing the fair folk have saved thousands of these mysterious ancient structures.

DEEP IN WESTERN IRELAND’S RUGGED landscape, in the sleepy town of Kilmaine, two brothers decided to build a house. But first, John and Tom Mooney had to find construction materials. According to a story passed down for generations, John came upon an old, forgotten lios, a medieval ring fort made, conveniently, of suitable stones. The next day, the brothers started pulling out the bushes that grew along the fort’s walls. As they cleared the overgrowth, they thought they heard the echo of someone crying, but shrugged it off and kept working. When a local priest noticed what they were doing, he warned them to leave the fort alone—but the brothers were undeterred. As dusk gave way to evening, the brothers finally stopped their work and returned home. By morning, both John and Tom Mooney were dead. A week later, as he was walking past the fort, the priest fell and broke his leg. Locals knew the tragic events were no accident—the fairies were to blame.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/ireland-fairy-fort-ring

If people think Winnie the Poo Bear and Paddington Bear are real, so Fairies must be real.

I have seen several mushroom rings, some quite large, but no fairies were inside.

So far I have not seen a fairy.

The "Trickster" aspect is interesting being applied to fairies/elves as opposed to one being, like Loki or the Native American trickster.

I think you can get to the root of much Fortean phenomena by studying Fairies, from UFO's to monsters and Big Black Cats they love fooling with Humans, that's what they do I haven't a clue what they are really but just something that has been here from before humanity

All I know that people who go to deep into it get driven of their rockers, the phenomena is fluid and once you think you are close it changes again, or leads you down blind allies

I think you can get to the root of much Fortean phenomena by studying Fairies, from UFO's to monsters and Big Black Cats they love fooling with Humans, that's what they do I haven't a clue what they are really but just something that has been here from before humanity

All I know that people who go to deep into it get driven of their rockers, the phenomena is fluid and once you think you are close it changes again, or leads you down blind allies
Look what happened to Robert Kirk;

https://www.transceltic.com/blog/mysterious-death-of-robert-kirk-doon-hill-home-of-fairies

Doon Hill:

2_2_1l.JPG

The minister’s tree:

doon-2.jpg

How to walk there.

maximus otter

They say that green is the colour of the fairies and wearing it brings bad luck (or that's what I've read, anyway).

When I got married last time round, in 2008, I wanted to wear a green wedding dress. In the back of my mind I knew it was supposed to bring bad luck but the dress was so gorgeous and lovely, and I had red hair so it looked amazing. I went to the trouble of 'asking the fairies permission' by going to a local spring and well and leaving an offering.

I wore the green dress. It was forest green, halter-backed with a corset bodice and a train. Very lovely. I was marrying a man with whom I was utterly in love and he with me and we had a fabulous day, everything was perfect.

Less than three years later he left me and I was beside myself. We'd been happy for five years before we married, we were happy after the wedding, but he changed and wanted out. I kept the dress and sometimes look at it, but I'll never wear it again because - well. You just never know.

They say that green is the colour of the fairies and wearing it brings bad luck (or that's what I've read, anyway).

When I got married last time round, in 2008, I wanted to wear a green wedding dress. In the back of my mind I knew it was supposed to bring bad luck but the dress was so gorgeous and lovely, and I had red hair so it looked amazing. I went to the trouble of 'asking the fairies permission' by going to a local spring and well and leaving an offering.

I wore the green dress. It was forest green, halter-backed with a corset bodice and a train. Very lovely. I was marrying a man with whom I was utterly in love and he with me and we had a fabulous day, everything was perfect.

Less than three years later he left me and I was beside myself. We'd been happy for five years before we married, we were happy after the wedding, but he changed and wanted out. I kept the dress and sometimes look at it, but I'll never wear it again because - well. You just never know.
That is a beautiful story worthy of its own telling.

If you've not already done so, do it now.

From the great Toni Morrison...

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."

That is a beautiful story worthy of its own telling.

If you've not already done so, do it now.

From the great Toni Morrison...

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
Please don't worry, @Ascalon, I'm a professional author. There aren't any untold stories inside me that aren't currently being mined for capital.

Please don't worry, @Ascalon, I'm a professional author. There aren't any untold stories inside me that aren't currently being mined for capital.
Ah join the club! Although I write non fiction but a piece of you still goes into it, despite best efforts.

Your story reminded me of something I've not thought about for ages.

When I got engaged to the current husband, we were (then as now) pretty broke and I chose a cheap ring to use as an engagement ring. I was still really proud of it and excited about it. It had some small stones, I forget the colour, maybe blue - but also a small pearl. I chose it because I liked it. But quite a few people asked me why I'd chosen a pearl as it was "bad luck" in an engagement ring which did put a dampener on my wanting to show it to people and gave me mixed feelings about it, despite my more rational side - more because people could be negative about something exciting, not because of feeling it was actually "bad luck".

Wasn't a problem for long as within the year I lost the ring in a field when camping. Many years on and he's still the current husband. I just put the negative reactions down to some people being dicks, at the time. I'd never heard about pearls being unlucky. And not even sure to this day if it's really a thing.

Ah join the club! Although I write non fiction but a piece of you still goes into it, despite best efforts.

Your story reminded me of something I've not thought about for ages.

When I got engaged to the current husband, we were (then as now) pretty broke and I chose a cheap ring to use as an engagement ring. I was still really proud of it and excited about it. It had some small stones, I forget the colour, maybe blue - but also a small pearl. I chose it because I liked it. But quite a few people asked me why I'd chosen a pearl as it was "bad luck" in an engagement ring which did put a dampener on my wanting to show it to people and gave me mixed feelings about it, despite my more rational side - more because people could be negative about something exciting, not because of feeling it was actually "bad luck".

Wasn't a problem for long as within the year I lost the ring in a field when camping. Many years on and he's still the current husband. I just put the negative reactions down to some people being dicks, at the time. I'd never heard about pearls being unlucky. And not even sure to this day if it's really a thing.
Oddly enough I have heard of pearls being unlucky, Pearls and opals are meant to look like tears and therefore represent them.

Back