• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

A

Anonymous

Sharon Mason
About a year and a half ago, I had a strange experience at work - or rather a colleague of mine had a strange experience that involved me.

I used to work for a very small television production company that employed only about 40 staff - so everybody knew everybody else that worked there pretty well. I usually arrived at work around 8am, but on this particular morning I had been asked to come in a bit later, at 10am. As I walked through reception, the receptionist cornered me, and asked me where I'd been out to.

I told her that I'd been at home, but she was adamant that she had already seen me come in at my usual 8am. She had even ticked my name off on her daily register. Just to make this clear, there was no-one else in the company who looked anything like me, and the receptionist couldn't have got me confused with anyone else, as she knew me very well.

I questioned her on what had happened earlier that morning, and she told me that I had come into reception - wearing exactly the same clothes that I had on as I was questioning her (including a fleece top that I had not worn in her presence before or since) and that I hadn't even said a word to her (which was unusual) and had walked straight off towards the studios. She seemed suspicious and thought that I was playing some kind of prank on her, but I assured her that I was not. After that she appeared quite shocked.

I don't really understand what happened, and I can never be sure of the exact details because I wasn't there to witness it myself, but I have heard stories like this before - Accounts of dopplegangers that suddenly disappear, and people who see themselves in places that they would have been had they, for example, taken their usual route to work instead of taking a detour.

http://217.206.205.125/happened/doppleganger.shtml

Link is dead. Remainder of original text appended above.

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20030901142855/http://217.206.205.125:80/happened/doppleganger.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a classic case of sleepworking to me. Are you _sure_ you were at home at 8am?

Hiccups In Time

"wearing exactly the same clothes that I had on as I was questioning her (including a fleece top that I had not worn in her presence before or since)"

Because of that I would consider this a "hiccup" in time. The recptionist probably saw you coming in as you came in that day; just a bit earlier than the actual even itself. I have often found time capable of slipping back over itself by an hour or two, and you probably did speak to her as you went by. But it would've like playing a really poorly done video tape in the VCR, the sound is there but not audible unless you turn it WAY up.

Just my thoughts on it.

Just my 2 pence worth on it...

1) A lot of people think some kinds of ghosts are not in fact spirits but a 'recording' of events that happened repeatedly. You've traveled the same path for a year, if recordings of the deceased can be made, why not the living?

2) Perhaps the receptionists mind was playng tricks on her. She's so used to seeing you come in at a certain time each day and so 'saw' the event anyway.? As for the clothes, there's no way to prove it as the moment she talked to you she could see what you where wearing! Maybe she caught your reflection just before you entered the building and her mind equated your image with 08.00 am?

Weird!

I once saw a guy in his mid forties who kinda smiled at me. He looked like an older version of myself and although I can't be certain it WAS an older version of myself - I wonder if I'll see a younger version of me when I'm older...?

sorry to drag this up again but this is really interesting. Has anyone ever read "the book of sand" by Jorge Luis Borges there is a short story in it called "the other" about meeting himself 20 years younger and having a long conversation with himself it is very wierd and just like the thing you have been talking about.

My first post. :D

Wintermoon said:
Just my 2 pence worth on it...

1) A lot of people think some kinds of ghosts are not in fact spirits but a 'recording' of events that happened repeatedly. You've traveled the same path for a year, if recordings of the deceased can be made, why not the living?

A fascinating point-- I'm beginning to like it more and more. These 'ghosts' of the living would probably be ignored most of the time, as people would simply say, "There goes Einstein McGenius. Must be on an early lunch break." But when they see dead people, then people notice... :eek!!!!: :D
Thanks.

I believe one of the first research results published by the Pychical Research Society was on apparitions of the living.

[I'll see if I can find some links]

rynner-- have you read the Pychical Research Soceity's work on merangue? Truly fascinating. :D
Thanks.

I am researching into people's experience with Dopplegangers for a new Television show. If Sharon or anybody else with similar experiences would like to contact me to discuss further please e-mail me on [email protected]

:hmph:
For years i hear the occasional siting of me, out and about in towns i haven't been to for ages or even clubbing, i'm beggining to think i have a clone. How do you deal with one of these?

The Internet Oracle mentions it on here

1260-06 (24ajm dist, 4.0 mean)
Selected-By: Christophe <[email protected]>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Oh Oracle most wise, he that is so helpful that he can propel little
> old ladies across the road with his merest glance:
>
> Help! I think I've accidentally cloned myself, and I need your wise
> advice on how to tidy up the mess before anyone finds out. Most
> specifically if I shoot my clone, will it be murder or suicide?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Didn't the Oracle just answer this for you. . .
}
} Oh. Wait I minute.
}
} Erm, you might want to go into hiding like RIGHT NOW.

Many moons ago I met my ex's adopted Brother for the first time.
Had heard many family stories and references to him but never actually met face to face or saw any close up photos. It was the closest to looking at a mirror image of myself (sans the mirror) that I've ever experienced. It was sort of awkward and he obviously felt the same way. Spent some time chatting that afternoon and that was that.

Double?

A refreshing dollop of weirdness into my dull life:

30th of January 2003
8:30

I talked to my friend Joe on the internet at this time. He claimed he had seen me just few moments before outside his house (a few roads away). Apparently I tapped on the window as I sometimes do when I’m coming round and he’s on the computer – he’d probably just ignore the doorbell. Then, according to him, I ran off up the road in the direction of my house.

It was at the time dark, but Joe says that he positively identified my face and that I was wearing the same coat and trousers (distinctive) as I had been all day. He had been at my house earlier in the day, and had left at about 2 and a half hours before the events described. However, the interesting point is that I had not left the house since he had gone, and had not been anywhere near his house. He seems absolutely convinced that I was there and claims that I am insane for not remembering.

Doppleganger!

Hmmm...sounds like you have got a doppleganger!

Very, very strange...

Time Traveller

It could have been you from the future come back in time 'to put right what once went wrong'.

Nice work if you can get it.:)

Well at least your double was engaged in innocent behaviour ........... this time!;)

Man! I'm a little freaked already, and your story didn't help. Something weird just happened to me too, (I think...), but not nearly as weird as what just happened to you. I've heard of this kind of thing before, but your experience has spooked me.

Supernatural events that I can attach some meaning to I can deal with better. I just HATE the stuff that seems to have no other purpose than to mess with your head.

I once borrowed a book from the library about ghosts and doppelgangers. One scary story was that a woman was walking down a street somewhere in London and she turned around to see her exact double in the crowd. Same clothes, hairstyle etc. She started running and the double ran too. Very frightened the woman reached her house and slammed the door shut, feeling safe....only for the doppelganger to emerge from the kitchen and attempt to cut out the woman's tongue with a pair of scissors(?).

Admittedly the book didn't state what seemed obvious to me - that the poor woman was mentally ill and had in fact injured herself. All the same it sounds horrible, reminding me of an episode of the Six Million Dollar Man. Steve Majors was warned that if a person's doppelganger ever "reached" them, it would signal death. :confused:

Hayzee - glad there are no low rooftops next to her home.

Ooo spooky story, Faggus!
I remember reading a much happier story about a doppelganger ages ago. I think it was in Victorian times (meant to be true) and the man saw an exact double of himslef ahead of him going into his house, so he held back and watched as the figure went in to the house and up the stairs. He saw him walk across the room through the windows and then the house blew up (gas explosion? something like that)! If he had not seen the double, he'd have gone ahead into his house and been killed.

I must find that book, it had lots of stories in it like this!

All the same it sounds horrible, reminding me of an episode of the Six Million Dollar Man. Steve Majors was warned that if a person's doppelganger ever "reached" them, it would signal death.

That sounds more like a 'fetch'. A fetch was your exact double who had come to take you because it was your time to die. Thus when it reached you, you would die. In some stories it was your reflection out of the mirror. When you saw it missing, you knew your fetch was coming to get you. I think this comes from the American south, but I could be wrong about that.

Hayzee Comet said:
reminding me of an episode of the Six Million Dollar Man. Steve Majors was warned ...

A pedant writes: It was Steve Austin played by Lee Majors :)

Midnight said:
I think this comes from the American south, but I could be wrong about that.

Never heard of it (down North Carolina way), but I like it!

Never heard of it (down North Carolina way), but I like it!

OK, then it might be Irish.
On the other hand I've read so much of this stuff over the years, who the hell knows. Somebody believed it to be true somewhere. (It's happening. I'm losing the dots off my dice....)

I remember reading about some woman who learnt how to project her double as a tulpa (thought form).

Maybe thats what you're doing subconsciously, Faggus.

Strong Resemblance

That's interesting all these doppleganger stories I have one that is sort of similar.

I was taking this theatre shop class and an older woman that was in the shop ended becoming a good friend of mine. She told me that I was spitting image of her daughter who died in a car crash on the main street in front of the school where we were taking the class.

Well I ended up seeing a photo of her daughter and it was like looking in a mirror.

A couple of months later I was leaving the school late and ended up getting into a car accident on that same street as her daughter and I found out later on that the night I got into the accident was the same night her daughter was in the car accident and died

Pretty creepy. I'm not sure if this would be considered a doppleganger but it was scarier than heck all the same.

I had the doppelganger thing in my teen years. I never met the other girl, but her friends would come right up to me and start talking. I found it interesting (and appreciated her breaking the ground for me when it came to good looking boys).

SHE WAS HER OWN DOPPELGANGER!
http://www.mysteries.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1,1.htm

This is a favorite of mine. Poor girl couldn't keep a job because of her eery ability to bilocate. Her doppelganger was a bit of a vampire as well, draining the original girls energy everytime it appeared. Sometimes the doppelganger would emulate her motions perfectly, as if you were seeing the girl with double vision. At other times, it would act independently. Apparantly, the doppelganger couldn't actually be touched but people would feel a "resistance" in the air around it.

I don't know if there's any truth in it, but it's interesting.

Back