• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

ramonmercado said:
rynner2 said:
[pedant] I pointed out some decades ago (it seems ;) ) that the thread title should be Doppelgangers (or even Doppelgänger, as wiki has it!) [/pedant]

Did you have to say it twice?
Yes, I doppled up! ;)

sciotofloods said:
I once had an interesting experience with my own double, or "fetch", while meditating.

Interesting story. I think one rarely gets to face one's own dark side so directly. Jung had tons of things to say about the matter.

You look just like me

I was reading the false arrival thread and it discussed Doppelgangers. Bought me back to an experience when I was 11 or 12. I was in what is now Primark but I think it was House of Fraser at the time on the Horsefair Broadmead Bristol. A gang of us use to venture into town. While heading onto the stairs. A young lad my age was walking down. We both stared at each other, his expression I can only described as disbelief and probably replicated my expression too. It was my Doppelganger. It was a very strange feeling to looking at a double.

I wonder where the line is between having a doppleganger and bilocating?

One imagines that if one bilocated one would be aware of it afterwards if it was just yourself in two places at once... or would one? :?

OneWingedBird said:

One imagines that if one bilocated one would be aware of it afterwards if it was just yourself in two places at once... or would one? :?

Good questions. By chance, I'm reading "A Hat Full of Sky" where one character is a single person who has two (separate) bodies. The character seems to mix her memories.

That aside, perhaps, in bilocating, the person who ultimately disappears acts on their own without the knowledge of the person who will remain. Upon disappearing, however, the disappeared person's memories jump into the remaining person's brain--which might be confusing to say the least. Of course, the effect might explain where "alien" memories come from.

Erm. I must get some lunch, I sound sillier than usual.

I have a doppelgänger, or at least one it seems.
On numerous occasions I have been mistaken for somebody else, most recently a lady stopped me in the High Street to ask how "your Michelle" was up to, and then pointed at my daughter and said "When did you have another one?" I was completely confused and told her she had mistaken me for someone else, but she refused to believe me :lol: . She carried on with "But you're Mary's girl!", to which I assured her I was not, and my family was from many miles away from the area i now live.

She was astounded when I finally convinced her I was not who she thought I was (It took about 15 minutes), and kept telling me "But you're her double!", she was still staring at me and muttering in disbelief as I walked down the street.

A few weeks later, my next door neighbour told me she had seen me earlier that day in the High Street, and that I had ignored her when she spoke to me and wouldn't acknowledge her at all - I told her I hadn't been anywhere near it that day - but she still swears to this day that she saw me.

The thing that puzzles me with these stories, is that I am disabled and walk with a distinct limp. My neighbour very tactfully ;) said that the person she saw "Even walked like you do". So not only do I have a double, they have crooked legs like me too!

Fifteen minutes?! You have the patience of Job!

gncxx said:
Fifteen minutes?! You have the patience of Job!

OK, 15 minutes maybe a slight exaggeration, but a good 5-10 minutes as she took some convincing, I can tell you! She decided to tell me a potted history of the person she thought I was and asked where I lived - as it turned out I live very close to my "double", but I have never seen her.

Maybe this double is like a person echo you only hear through other people?

gncxx said:
Maybe this double is like a person echo you only hear through other people?

That's a fascinating thought. Thank you for posting.

Don't mention it! Dunno how it would work scientifically, but it could be nothing to do with science as we know it.

Really cool to see this thread up here after watching 'The Two Faces of Evil' in my newly purchased Hammer House of Horror box set! It's the episode I remember most from my childhood and it was the first time I heard about doppelgangers!

Looking at the dates of transmission I was really young when my parents let me watch this stuff, not even a teenager. There is no way I would let my kids (aged 10 and 12) watch this boxset! 1980s parenting rocked!

My dad used to make me go to bed early so that I could get up and watch Hammer horror films. I can't think why I'm on here now. :roll:

Scribbles said:
Really cool to see this thread up here after watching 'The Two Faces of Evil' in my newly purchased Hammer House of Horror box set! It's the episode I remember most from my childhood and it was the first time I heard about doppelgangers!

Looking at the dates of transmission I was really young when my parents let me watch this stuff, not even a teenager. There is no way I would let my kids (aged 10 and 12) watch this boxset! 1980s parenting rocked!

Is that the one with the family picks up the hitchhiker in the oilskins??

That truly was some scary television and I can still freak my sister out by making the moaning sound the hitchhiker makes in the car.

Interesting subject.

I have a friend called Marion who has had a doppelganger, she has never see her herself but friends would often report going up to this women because she so looked like Marion, hair, figure, clothing etc. Sadly though she's had no reports for a few years so maybe the double has moved away?

I saw a little boy that looked just like me when I was 4 about 10 years ago. He was playing in a pub garden that me and my wife were sitting in with his family near by. My wife had seen enough photos of me to see the similarity and remarked on it. The slightly disconcerting thing was his haircut was Identical to mine at that age, with the slight centre parting and bowl cut.

Very 70's and hardly the sort of cut a kid would have had back in 2000ish. It was a very strange feeling. I didn't go up and talk to him or his family, (that would have been weird), and he took no notice of me at all.

Yes, the one with the hitchhiker in the bright yellow oilskins! And yep, I'm guessing that most of us on this board watched stuff like this when we were kids and here we are today! That episode's story and so many of the images in it have stuck with me for thirty years. Makes me wonder if I'm not doing my kids a disservice by being strict about age appropriate material. They're not going to be the next Stephen King at this rate.

I am very jealous of all these real-life doppelganger stories on here, so interesting.

Scribbles said:
Yes, the one with the hitchhiker in the bright yellow oilskins! And yep, I'm guessing that most of us on this board watched stuff like this when we were kids and here we are today! That episode's story and so many of the images in it have stuck with me for thirty years. Makes me wonder if I'm not doing my kids a disservice by being strict about age appropriate material. They're not going to be the next Stephen King at this rate.

I am very jealous of all these real-life doppelganger stories on here, so interesting.
215964.jpg

We were allowed to watch this, me and my sister I'd have been around 11 she's a couple of years older.

I watched lots of hammer films on friday nights on my portable black and white tv after everyone had gone to bed. Loved it.

That picture gave me the chills :shock:

Finished the box set, the episodes weren't great by the end. 'Tales of the Unexpected' next, I think!

OneWingedBird said:

Really interesting idea. Have not taken that into consideration.

I used to have a doppelganger around where I live. I had several incidents around ten years ago, as I'll relate, but the first time I became aware of my double was back in around 1996 when a friend of mine asked me where I'd been going one afternoon when he saw me driving out of our town. I was puzzled by this, as I'd still been at work at the time he saw "me". He told me that he'd seen "me" driving the same type of car and - spookily - it was the same colour.

Fast-forwarding a few years to 2003 / 04, I was in our local nightclub one evening when a woman came up to me, acting in a very friendly manner as if she knew me. "Oooh! Hello!" she said, putting her hand on my arm. I looked at her blankly. She studied my face a bit closer and then said, "oh. It's not you is it?". I just smiled and shook my head and she disappeared.

Soon after this, I was visiting my dad in hospital after he'd been admitted with heart trouble (turned out to be a medication issue and he was fine). A bloke and his missus were visiting an old gent who occupied the bed-but-one to my dad. I kept noticing the bloke who was visiting looking at me. I was starting to feel a bit nervous about it, so he came over, apologising, saying that I was the exact double of a guy he knew at work. He was looking because he was sure it was him, then telling himself that it wasn't... then having to look again to make sure. I told him that this wasn't the first time it had happened and related to him the night club incident. We had a laugh about it. I think he told me my double's name. It's a shame that I didn't take some notes and try to track him down for a photo opportunity.

Anyway, I've not had any doppelganger incidents for several years now. Perhaps he's moved away.

Kenco said:
I used to have a doppelganger around where I live. I had several incidents around ten years ago, as I'll relate, but the first time I became aware of my double was back in around 1996 when a friend of mine asked me where I'd been going one afternoon when he saw me driving out of our town. I was puzzled by this, as I'd still been at work at the time he saw "me". He told me that he'd seen "me" driving the same type of car and - spookily - it was the same colour.

Fast-forwarding a few years to 2003 / 04, I was in our local nightclub one evening when a woman came up to me, acting in a very friendly manner as if she knew me. "Oooh! Hello!" she said, putting her hand on my arm. I looked at her blankly. She studied my face a bit closer and then said, "oh. It's not you is it?". I just smiled and shook my head and she disappeared.

Soon after this, I was visiting my dad in hospital after he'd been admitted with heart trouble (turned out to be a medication issue and he was fine). A bloke and his missus were visiting an old gent who occupied the bed-but-one to my dad. I kept noticing the bloke who was visiting looking at me. I was starting to feel a bit nervous about it, so he came over, apologising, saying that I was the exact double of a guy he knew at work. He was looking because he was sure it was him, then telling himself that it wasn't... then having to look again to make sure. I told him that this wasn't the first time it had happened and related to him the night club incident. We had a laugh about it. I think he told me my double's name. It's a shame that I didn't take some notes and try to track him down for a photo opportunity.

Anyway, I've not had any doppelganger incidents for several years now. Perhaps he's moved away.

Again that weird thing where we don't push it or follow stuff up. The old Fortean mind sap.

May have mentioned this before - one of my brothers had a double.

This Bro was on the folkie scene and would dress up in moleskins and weskit to accompany laments upon the accordion about failed harvests.

People kept telling him that they'd seen him at one event or another that he hadn't been to, when he hadn't even said hello, and eventually he was shown a video of himself singing and playing and told Look! You can't deny it!
But it wasn't Bro. He'd been elsewhere at that time.

He eventually tracked down the lookalike and they had a few beers together, and I have a photo of them somewhere both waving their absolutely distinctive long fingers which nobody could possibly mistake for anyone else's.

The lookalike had also been spotted at events he hadn't been to. I thought they'd have made a great novelty duo, maybe as folksinging singing conjoined twins, but it wasn't to be. :(

Has anyone ever FOUND a doppleganger, SPOKE with them, TOOK PHOTOS, then proceeded to have medical tests done which ACTUALLY proved that they were genetically the same?

I don't doubt that there are dopplegangers, but it would be nice to analyze a bit more.

Some awesome stories here. About once a year, people recognize me as someone else, and then quickly realize i look similar but not the same. So in my case, this seems to imply that my appearance is bland or lacking uniqueness. But for others I realize there's much more to it.

There are billions of people on the planet, it's only natural some of us will look like a bunch of the rest. The word "doppelganger" always suggested some sort of supernatural glitch to me, though.

gncxx said:
The word "doppelganger" always suggested some sort of supernatural glitch to me, though.
At least you spell it correctly,unlike the thread title! ;)

Yesterday afternoon I got fast food at a drive-thru. The server behind the window said "Back again so soon?". I asked what she meant and she said I'd just been through an hour or so before, she was sure of it. But I hadn't been to that joint in 6 months or so. She said same car and everything. I was driving a rental car, with Florida tags. I dont even know why she'd remember me anyway, I mean, I'm not that good looking.

I was heading for the bus stop yesterday at about 6pm, and as a teenage couple went by me the girl said, sounding slightly surprized, "Oh, hello Nan!"
I didn't have time to slow down to give her a second look, so I simply replied"Hello" and hurried on :D .
I hope it doesn't cause any problems within her family!

Recycled1 said:
I was heading for the bus stop yesterday at about 6pm, and as a teenage couple went by me the girl said, sounding slightly surprized, "Oh, hello Nan!"
I didn't have time to slow down to give her a second look, so I simply replied"Hello" and hurried on :D .
I hope it doesn't cause any problems within her family!

This made me laugh out loud.

She'll mention seeing and talking to Nan, who obviously won't remember it, thus leading to her finally being admitted to Golden Meadows retirement home. For hours she'll sit staring out of the window wondering...Did I say Hello and can't remember it?

Or maybe Nan was already dead? You just did a doppelgänger haunt!

Concerning the yellow hitchhiker case. Couple of years ago my friends and I were at the lake for a few days of vacation break. It was evening and while most of the people stayed in the cabin, my best friend and I went out for a smoke. As I mentioned it was evening and right after rain. We had a torch with and talking walked slowly a path down to the lake. I was lighting the way so we didn't stomp on something. Suddenly we saw someone ahead of us, standing right by the lake. Somehow we knew it was a woman although we saw her back. She was wearing that yellow coat with hood on the head. I didn't except anyone to be there so at first it freaked us out and I moved the torch away from that spot. When I lighten it up again - there was no one. She couldn't have gone any side because of the tall grass, couldn't go forward as it was water there already and certainly didn't move towards us. It was silent around so we knew the figure didn't move - we would hear that. Both of us remember it with details, we remember the same thing and we have no idea what it was.

Cycling home today after working a night for a colleague, I was about 4 miles from home on the shared foot/cycle path. Coming towards me was a women on a mountain bike, blond hair, didn't recognize her. I smiled and said hello and she greeted me by my name, and the shortened name that only friends and family use. She cycled on.

The thing is I've convinced I'm never met her before. I didn't pay much attention to her as I coming up was a junction where you have to watch for cars coming out, I was tired so only saw a girl in big sunglasses red cycle gear and a red bike.

Now I'm quite well know around my village but I'm usually referred to as "The Bike Dude", not many folk know my name as I'm pretty private. I also know by sight pretty much everyone who cycles locally and their bikes.

The only women who would greet me by informal name is Vicki and she has dark hair and I know her and her bike at a glance.

The other girl was a colleague who has since moved away although she still works at the same place. It was not her and not her bike as I gave her her bike! Also we don't get on anymore so I don't think she'd greet me!

A couple of years ago another blond women, (was it the same person)? was driving a car and tooted her car horn and waved frantically at me, the sort of way when you just seen someone you get on with that you've not see for awhile.

Am I being mistaken for someone with the same name? Or is it just someone who knows who I am?

Back