• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doppelgängers

Man randomly finds his doppelgänger in Las Vegas

When Sean Douglas McArdle went for a swim in the pool at the Flamingo in Las Vegas, he ran into someone he certainly didn’t expect.

That somebody else turned out to be the spitting image of Sean, even down to the cap and horn-rimmed glasses they were both wearing.

1662027679523.png

The thought has crossed my mind that they’re identical twins who have FOOLED THE WHOLE WORLD with their amusing prank. The other man isn’t named - why not?

There is something of an online revival at present regarding the Emilie Sagee case (if it ever was even that).

Double Vision: The Strange Case of Emilie Sagee
Emilie Sagee was haunted by a spectral twin, whose mirror-like movements terrified all those who saw it.
https://the-line-up.com/emilie-sagee/

In some ways, I really hate the incubative / distributive/ validative nature of the internet. It permits / promotes non-facts at the same speed (or faster) than reality....

This story popped up on Quora recently.
The fact that the sole source of the story was Scottish-American politician and spiritualist, Robert Dale Owen should set alarm bells ringing. The events, the witnesses, the places named, the school, even Emilie Sagee may never have existed outside of Owen's imagination.
Probably falls into the same category as the Ourang Medan and Man From Taured - all works of fiction, which have taken off and gathered their own mythos over the years.

... The fact that the sole source of the story was Scottish-American politician and spiritualist, Robert Dale Owen should set alarm bells ringing. ...

Owen was the first to publish the story, but he wasn't the original source. He got the story from Baroness Julie de Güldenstubbé, who'd allegedly been one of Ms. Sagee's / Saget's students. See the earlier post with more detailed info from Ermintruder:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/doppelgängers.20381/post-1685628

Owen was the first to publish the story, but he wasn't the original source. He got the story from Baroness Julie de Güldenstubbé, who'd allegedly been one of Ms. Sagee's / Saget's students. See the earlier post with more detailed info from Ermintruder:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/doppelgängers.20381/post-1685628

Interesting. Maybe, just maybe, the sceptics on Quora were somewhat over-zealous.
Is Baroness Julie de Güldenstubbé actually on record as having reported the strange events?
I would love the story to be true, but am undecided.

... Is Baroness Julie de Güldenstubbé actually on record as having reported the strange events? ...

Here's what Flammarion wrote about the story's provenance:
FlammarionOnSagee.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=3...M#v=onepage&q="Julie de Güldenstubbé"&f=false

I don't know whether the cited 1883 article is drawn from Owen's account or had independently-obtained material.

Similarly, I don't know whether Aksakof relied solely on Owen or had additional sources. Aksakof's Animisme et Spiritisme is a French translation from Russian, and I don't know whether it was ever translated into English.

Flammarion notes that he was acquainted with the baroness, but doesn't mention discussing the Sagee / Saget story with her.

This is rather weird: a widow reckons she saw her definitely-deceased husband in a restaurant's advertising video.

There is no reason to believe the late husband is really alive. It's not a canoe job, as some online wag suggested!

Widow claims her dead husband is alive and eating curry in a restaurant promo video

The video had been posted to the Spice Cottage Facebook page with the caption: ‘Join us for a perfect blend of exquisite flavours, with classical and unique dishes inspired by ancient family recipes.’

One woman, Lucy Watson, frantically commented: ‘How old is the footage? My late husband and his son are on the first shot and he died in 2014??’

A reply from the restaurant stated: ‘Hi Lucy, sorry to hear this. This footage was recorded last week.’
But Lucy, 59, is adamant there is no mistake – and says it is her husband Harry Docherty and his son Alex in the clip.

It's the Pepsi that does it!

Pepsi’s marketing campaign between 1963 and 1967 used ‘Come alive! You’re in the Pepsi generation’ in an attempt to revive what had become a boring brand and compete with Coca Cola. In China, the slogan was mistranslated to mean ‘Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave’.

Back