• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Double-Shadow

locussolus

Devoted Cultist
Today is a clear, sunny day in NYC. I was walking back to my house from an errand-run, and turned the corner. I was looking down as I walked, daydreaming, when I had the sense that someone was behind me for a moment. I then saw a double shadow of myself on the sidewalk before me. I turned around to see if anyone was behind me as I first suspected, and there was no one else on the block at all, in either direction, on either side of the street. I had not stopped walking, and looked back at the sidewalk before me to catch the last glimpse of my double shadow. It was certainly me, two identical shapes with my ponytail, clothing, etc.

I just thought, is this weird, why have I never thought of this being possible.

I looked it up, to see if it was a valid phenomena, but discovered nothing. I think it may have been some fluke reflection, but still. Has this happened to anyone else?

My imagination is running away with me and I am wondering if I'm haunting myself. ;)

Double shadows are a natural result of crossing light sources. All of my double shadows have involved an area of overlap where the two light sources struck my body at an angle; the overlap area is darker than the adjacent areas, which are faded out by the opposing light source.

It is possible that the secondary light source was reflected sunlight bouncing off some surface which did not strike you as a light source. Not being all that familiar with NYC or knowing which part of it you were in, I would not venture to guess; however, some glass skyscrapers and storefronts use highly reflective glass. It is also possible that someone was wasting electricity.

Or that you were being followed by a shadow mimic, but if so you don't seem to have been harmed by it. Yet.

PeniG said:
Double shadows are a natural result of crossing light sources. All of my double shadows have involved an area of overlap where the two light sources struck my body at an angle; the overlap area is darker than the adjacent areas, which are faded out by the opposing light source.

It is possible that the secondary light source was reflected sunlight bouncing off some surface which did not strike you as a light source. Not being all that familiar with NYC or knowing which part of it you were in, I would not venture to guess; however, some glass skyscrapers and storefronts use highly reflective glass. It is also possible that someone was wasting electricity.

Or that you were being followed by a shadow mimic, but if so you don't seem to have been harmed by it. Yet.

:)

Interesting, and crossing light sources makes sense of course! It's just one of those moments where I recognized something happening that I had no frame of reference for, though my rational mind thought there must be one.

And, I like the idea of being followed by a shadow mimic. If it happens again, and the shadow begins to move/gesture in ways I am self aware I am not, I'll be sure to report!

Happens to me all the time, Im surprised you didn't notice it before..its normal Im pretty sure.

if have been been walking or cycling along a track near me at night, there are only lights on one side. This has the effect of giving a double shadow as I walk between two light sources on the same side. as I near one light source, the shadow from the previous one disappears.

I guess for some reason, though I consider myself to be an observant person, that this phenomena has completely escaped me! I feel a bit silly :)

If you don't feel silly every now and then life is really boring. :D

I know, I'm good at it.I once recall commenting to a friend years ago that when the clocks go forward it must confuse the birds!!!!!!

Spudrick68 said:
If you don't feel silly every now and then life is really boring. :D

I know, I'm good at it.I once recall commenting to a friend years ago that when the clocks go forward it must confuse the birds!!!!!!

lol I like that comment. :D

Back