• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Double & Triple Yolkers

Back to eggs -

I knew someone who was put off eggs for life after claiming they found a dead chick in one once. I have no idea where they got this egg from, but I suspect a farm or allotment.

They're Dresie and Casie from Traansval who probably have Fragile-X genetic syndrome which causes learning difficulties . Fragile X could be caused by inbreeding but it also occurs as a spontaneous or inherited genetic trait. They now reside (since 2010) in a residential home for people with learning disabilities.

There is quite a bit of background information for the brothers including some up to date photos - they are described as "kind and jovial fellows" I think their photo has been ripped off for any old 'inbreeding' jokes or humour pages when the truth of their lives is more complex.

tumblr_inline_n5tcmz2A1x1rvjsgt.jpg

tumblr_inline_n5tcqhvbLe1rvjsgt.jpg

"They say she [their mother] was sad about the undignified representation of her sons. It’s hard to believe the two guys who now live in the nursing home are the ones in the photograph. Casie and Driesie laugh most of the time. Driesie, especially, is obsessively neat and constantly tidies up his wardrobe.

They were born in Outjo, Namibia, but as adults spent a while living in Wolmaransstad with their mother. When she died 16 years ago, they returned to Namibia to be looked after by family.

“They were four months old when people realised something was awry. The doctors said the brain cells that control speech, the hands and saliva, those cells were dead,” says their sister-in-law, who was their main caregiver. From early on they were like Jacob and Esau. Driesie followed his mother around while Casie worked in the garden. She says: “Actually, they’re very intelligent. Driesie has used my automatic washing machine. He knows when it’s finished and can hang up the washing. And Casie can change an electric wall socket.”

http://casesblog.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/roger-ballens-photograph-and-search-for.html (possible diagnosis)

http://hermanverwey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/two-kindly-jovial-fellows.html

That's really lovely and fascinating - thanks for sharing.

...what is awful about it?

It's very, very poor mate- in fairness. It has lost all the industry that used to sustain it. First fishing, then oil and now tourism, leaving it with next to nothing, few jobs and not much economic activity. Lots of cheap and low-quality accommodation have attracted lots of poor people into an already poor town. It's a tough place. Lots of drugs, crime, poor living conditions. It's not very nice.

Norfolk as a county is beautiful and pretty wealthy. Yarmouth, is neither.

Urrgh. No this was the UK. That is horrible.

I'm reminded of a recipe for vinci grassi (sp?) a rustic version of Lasagna which called for 'all kinds of offal, unborn eggs....'

'unborn eggs' could be the unlaid egg yolks which are often found inside hens once slaughtered. If you ever get old-style whole chickens from a halal-type butchery or similar, you'll often find these in various sizes inside the carcass. They just go into the curry along with the kidneys, liver, heart and gizzard :)

'unborn eggs' could be the unlaid egg yolks which are often found inside hens once slaughtered. If you ever get old-style whole chickens from a halal-type butchery or similar, you'll often find these in various sizes inside the carcass. They just go into the curry along with the kidneys, liver, heart and gizzard :)
You're not making it sound any better! :eek:

On eggs, I like Chinese "hundred year eggs". An egg is "preserved" for months in clay, ash and salt for several months. Pretty heady stuff, not for everyone...

20080321eggquarters.jpg

On eggs, I like Chinese "hundred year eggs". An egg is "preserved" for months in clay, ash and salt for several months. Pretty heady stuff, not for everyone...

20080321eggquarters.jpg
Who was the first person ever to try eating those, I wonder?
Obviously somebody blind and with no sense of smell or taste. :eek:

20080321eggquarters.jpg
I'm assuming the red is clay & ash..

How would you describe the taste & where can you get them?

Heh! You've tried them then - can you elaborate a little? Do they taste a bit rotten or something?
No. I can tell just by looking at that. It's nasty.
Rotten? Yes.

Like the nastiest shit you can imagine. China.

:D Literally "lol"ed...

How would you describe the taste & where can you get them?

They taste very, very...er..."eggy"...and a little sulphorous...it's much like a very, very eggy egg. Hard to describe. They're pretty strong so you usually eat with rice porridge (congee) so you're only getting a little bit with more blander porridge. I have to be honest though there are nowhere near as bad as you might imagine.

Where to get them? Not sure where you are mate but any good Asian foodstore should stock them. I'm not sure I know enough to pick a good brand though so I's probably only eat them in a restaurant.

Last edited:
^ Aha! Someone who actually ate one and lived! ^
Reading around, it looks like you've got to be careful about where you get one from. Some people are using poisonous heavy metals to produce them.

Yarmouth isn't the only rough place in Norfolk. Thetford has quite the reputation as does Dereham. And both King's Lynn and Norwich have rough patches.

I seem to keep reading stories in the local press about redevelopment schemes and grants for Yarmouth, but none of it seems to make any tangible difference.

Surprisingly it has a Tory MP (Brandon Lewis). Dunno if he's any good, but he gets himself on local radio quite often.

Yarmouth isn't the only rough place in Norfolk. Thetford has quite the reputation as does Dereham. And both King's Lynn and Norwich have rough patches.

I seem to keep reading stories in the local press about redevelopment schemes and grants for Yarmouth, but none of it seems to make any tangible difference.

Surprisingly it has a Tory MP (Brandon Lewis). Dunno if he's any good, but he gets himself on local radio quite often.
I was in Dereham recently. It seemed pleasant enough, but parts were a little run down.

Agreed. Thetford is a shithole - London overspill to rehouse people after the war. Dereham - rural shithole, no work, lots of drugs. Kings Lynn - real duelling banjos shit there...

I've been reading these for about 40 years...bottom line is- who would invest here?

Dunno if he's any good, but he gets himself on local radio quite often.

Careerist. Essex boy- close friend of Eric Pickles. Parachuted in. Local tory party hate him. Does everything for himself and nothing for the town. Not been sighted since he was re-elected.

Yeah, he's a minister now isn't he? Same thing happened with Chloe Smith in Norwich when she got a junior cabinet post. She just vanished. Then she came a cropper on Paxman and that seems to have stalled her.

Surprisingly it has a Tory MP (Brandon Lewis).

Not sure why this would suprise you mate - Yarmouth also had one of the highest "exit" votes in the referendum- 71% of voters. It's very right-wing, very bitter and very uneducated.

Yeah, he's a minister now isn't he? Same thing happened with Chloe Smith in Norwich when she got a junior cabinet post. She just vanished. Then she came a cropper on Paxman and that seems to have stalled her.

Yes - housing. Friends in high-places. Godfather to Pickle's children. Met him a few times. Utterly uncharming and self-important. A lot like a trumped up used-car salesman from Essex.

I've got a bit of time for Ms. Smith despite being staunchly anti-tory. She gives a shit and tries. And she does have a brain but was fed to the lions re. Paxman and torn apart. Also met her a few times and she makes an effort. I think she's a decent person.

...... BUT STILL THEY COME!
Hmmm, yep, that's what my ex used to call a "double-yolker", when she would erm, "keep working" on the job in hand until she crashed the yoghurt truck again, without me having to take a little breather inbetween (or, nowadays, a little sleep and possibly some of Bongo Bill's Banjo Pills). There was one memorable "triple-yolker" after which she had to phone her best friend to brag, whilst I gingerly folded my red-raw porridge gun away. Ooh, it was sore for a while...

Back