• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

A

Anonymous

Thank you, Douglas, for many hours of mirth. I will miss your books.

Mine too.......................
But I prefered the last book....:)

Its a funny thing. I didn't really understand all the fuss when Princess Di died. The mass outpouring of grief from people who had never known her seemed......inapropriate somehow.

Now I understand. I never met Douglas Adams but his passing has left an inexplicable hole in my life. A space on the shelf where is next book would have gone. And it seems so unreal. He can't be dead. He's younger than my Dad and my Dad isn't going anywhere for a while. :(

Cujo

i understood the princess di thing, i was obsessed! i was watching cnn, right before she died. saw the report of the wreck. stayed uo to hear the news but finally had to go to sleep before any word on her condition. when i heard the next morning she died i was heart broken, i don't know why, i was never a "royal" watcher... i watched her wedding, and fergie's, shoot; i PREFER fergie but princess diana's death hit me HARD! i can't call her "the people's princess" seems oxymoronic to me...maybe it is beause my mom died in a car crash when SHE was 36 and i was only a child like the two princes, i don't know... douglas adams::: he came up with the PERFECT term for sunday afternoons::: THE LONG, DARK TEA TIME OF THE SOUL::: that is descriptive as hell!!! oh i DO know that feeling, especially before cable t.v. but whatever you do, remember,***DON'T PANIC & REMEMBER WHERE YOUR TOWEL IS!!!*** :mad: :(

Douglas wrote some of the first books I voluntarily read, Entertained me, and even got interested in science.

Gonna miss him, wasnt there supposed to be a remake of the hitchhikers guide coming out soon?

Hitch-Hiker's Guide movie?

I think he was working on a movie version when he died...
BBC recently repeated the series, which looks dated now, but quality ideas always shine through.

Sh*t, where's me towel? PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Ahh, yes. 42. The Towel and three pints. The Hyperspace Bypass and who can forget the awesome, "Don't Panic!". The Babble fish has served him well and shall continue to in his historical, sci-fi, literature in the sky. HHGttG is his enigma, a true gem. Thanks D!

Now, I must shoot off down the pub, I need three pints apparently. This rather strange man with bad taste in top jackets has just said so!

he knew the answer now perhaps he understands the question

so long and ............thanks! :(

and if you listen very hard the tune will come to you at last

So long, Douglas. Hope you brought along your towel.

HHGttG was the first 'real' I ever read, and it had a profound effect on my life, and drinking habits.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, anyone....!!!????

Today is the second anniversary of the sudden death of Douglas Noel Adams. From the first time I picked up one of his books (H2G2), to finally closing his posthumously published ''The Salmon of Doubt", I can honestly say I have been thoroughly entertained.

So long Douglas, and thanks for all the books.:)

Your passing was truly babworthy*.

*from 'The Meaning of LIFF'

:(

Thanks for reminding me.

I still miss him you know. I still get caught up suddenly by the thought that he's gone. It's funny how you can miss someone you've never met but there are some people who are comforting just to share a world with.

The Asylum* is truely a poorer place without him.

Cujo
*See So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

Bless you Douglas, wherever you are. Every now and again I think of you and feel a real pang of grief. The world is a sadder place without you.

I've waited impatiently for the next book for most of my adult life it seems. You had to be there at the time to appreciate just how delightfully different was his thought and writing. I was a devotee from the first page of HHGG.

My favourite is the fourth book in the trilogy :) So Long and Thanks for All the Fish. I've read it maybe 15 times. I so wanted to read much much more about Fenchurch and Arthur but, sadly, it wasn't to be. I feel cheated. Just like The Answer, tantalisingly just out of reach, always...

So long DA, we'll never see your like again.

Forty2

I recently finished "the Salmon of doubt". I loved the book, it was a very interesting insight into his life.
One thing it has lead me on to read is Richard Dawkins, The Devils Chaplin. the two book cross over and infact one chapter is the same in both!
Well worth a read, Dawkins was I believe a mate of Adams and you can feel the similar mind sets when you read Dawkins books.
I also agree with what Stephen fry said about him. I feel said every time a new apple computers product comes out that he won't see.

Douglas Adams affected my life in many ways. From the way I write. In short sentences, or ones so convoluted that you have to read them twice to understand, to my choice of computer :)

The above sentence did make sense.

His books are so brimming over with ideas, from God's Last Message to His Creation to the real meaning of the game of cricket, to the invention of the on/off switch for children (wouldn't you love one of them!)... and too many more to mention.

To my everlasting shame, my first thought when I heard of his death was "you could have finished the third Dirk Gently novel first!".

Fare ye well, Douglas, wherever you may be.

Jane.

mejane said:
Fare ye well, Douglas, wherever you may be.

If you're at Milliway's have a drink on us. We've put a penny in a bank account so that the compound interest by the end of the universe...

Was he buried with a towel? I hope so - that would make me smile. He taught me how to look sideways at the world and not take all this life nonsense seriously.

Thanks for all the fish ...

Caroline said:
Today is the second anniversary of the sudden death of Douglas Noel Adams. From the first time I picked up one of his books (H2G2), to finally closing his posthumously published ''The Salmon of Doubt", I can honestly say I have been thoroughly entertained.

So long Douglas, and thanks for all the books.:)

Your passing was truly babworthy*.

*from 'The Meaning of LIFF'

His writing style was unique, his out look refreshingly unfettered by convention.

My favorite concept was the dreadful vending machines and the vile subtandard products they dispensed-"something not entirely like tea" (pardon the miss quote) And how vindicating it would be if all the uppermanagement types who are responsible for the decline of product quality and service would become "the first against the wall when the revolution comes/came)

Thanks so much for those moments of mental freedom Douglas-I will miss your thoughts.

'Hitch Hiker's Guide' Is Go! Maybe...

For all those Douglas Adams and Hitch Hiker's Guide Fans out there:
BBC Site, 'Cult' News: 'Hitch Hiker's Guide Movie Set To Go' Story.

A film version of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy looks set to go before the cameras.

Hollywood Reporter has announced that Spyglass films have the hired production team Hammer and Tongs, a.k.a. writer-director Garth Jennings and producer Nick Goldsmith, to make the feature.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy will mark the British pair's film debut. Until now they have been mainly known for their work producing music videos for the likes of Robbie Williams, UB40 and Fatboy Slim. Douglas Adams script has been given a final polish by Chicken Run scribe Karey Kirkpatrick.

Spyglass partner Roger Birnbaum said of the project, "We finally cracked the story, and hired these clever English fellows to make sure that the picture is visually inventive and funny and accessible to contemporary audiences, while still connected to the book Douglas wrote almost 25 years ago."

Apparently a host of top directors were considered to helm Hitchiker's, but in the end it was decided to go with an unknown.

"I have less doubt about these guys than I do in hiring some big-time director who is not interested in collaboration and who gets final cut and first-dollar gross," Birnbaum said. "It will be fun to collaborate with these guys."

There is no news yet about casting, but it is expected that Disney will distribute the film.
SO, is it good, or bad?

In addition...

'Read on the SciFi Wire site earlier in the week confirming Douglas Adams is to be given a posthumous executive producer credit.

Fans are gonna be hard to please... but the thing's been done in every other fecking medium, it might as well be a film as well. And as my favourite format - the books- are not the original, I guess I can't moan too much about purity. But god, no Disney involvment. No No No No No. No. No. Those people could suck the soul and integrity out of... something that has a lot of both and is damn hard to suck.

Re: 'Hitch Hiker's Guide' Is Go! Maybe...

AndroMan said:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy will mark the British pair's film debut. Until now they have been mainly known for their work producing music videos for the likes of Robbie Williams, UB40 and Fatboy Slim.

Oh, F**K

Slytherin said:
And as my favourite format - the books- are not the original, I guess I can't moan too much about purity.
Quite, Slytherin. I heard the original series, on Radio 4, on the wireless.

Very much the best version. :p

I share The Yithian's line about the directors... :eek!!!!:

Back