• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dr. Robert Cornish: He Brought The Dead To Life

MrRING

Android Futureman
(A quick note: This is an amazing story that I have to thank a fellow pal online, Parker Anderson for. He found me all the clippings from various sources.)

There is an old Universal horror film called LIFE RETURNS built around brief footage produced around a Dr. Robert Cornish, a UC Berkely who would kill dogs with nitrogen gas and then bring them back to life. Later on, he tried to petition various state govenors to allow him to revive executed prisoners. The following quotes are attributed to their original sources, but I have no direct links.

Associated Press dispatch from March 15, 1934:

BERKELY, Calif., March 15---(AP) Science gave five hours of life to a dog here today after he had apparently died. Revived, the dog breathed and barked and then succumbed early today for the last time. But Dr. Robert E. Cornish, research biologist and creator of the means of resuscitation, said he hoped the experiment may mean that many of the human lives lost through suffocation can be saved if the victim is reached in time.

Five minutes after physicians pronounced the animal dead, he was placed on a teeter-totter board, with which Dr. Cornish has been experimenting for a year under the theory the motion would force circulation of the blood to resume, in combination with artificial respiration and oxygen.A psysiological salt solution was injected into the femeral artery to check coagulation of the blood which follows death and to stimulate the heart. The solution contains defibrinated blood, blood from which the clots have been removed. It is saturated with oxygen and contains adrenalin, a powerful heart stimulent, and heparin, a liver extract which exercises a strong anti-clotting effect.

Two minutes after the work of resuscitation began, the first faint heart beat was detected. Nineteen minutes later, the dog began breathing regularly and deeply. Nearly two and a half hours later, he barked.

Associated Press dispatch from April 24, 1934:
BERKELY, Calif., April 24---(AP) Science watched anxiously over a sleeping dog today, hoping for a definite indication the animal would regain consciousness. The dog has lain unconscious for ten days in a University of California laboratory, ever since it was asphyxiated and restored to life by Dr. Robert Cornish. Dr. Cornish is the man who put several dogs to death and restored their physical functions, but was unable to bring them back to consciousness. He found that the heart once stopped, could be made to pump blood into the arteries again, but that a diminishing supply of blood finally caused the heart to stop beating forever.

In his latest experiment, he injected a fluid into the dog's veins to supply something for the heart to pump again, with the result that the dog has remained alive since April 13, and has even given signs of regaining consciousness. Light causes the dog to blink his eyes, Dr. Cornish said, and a fly on his ear causes the animal to twitch. The signs indicate, the scientist said, that it is not impossible for the brain cells to be restored. If the eye's retina can repair itself, he believes other brain centers may be restored in time. The dog was fed at first by injections, but now is being given food through the mouth.

Associated Press dispatch from May 3, 1934:
BERKELY, Calif., May 3---(AP) In the twentieth day of its scientifically restored life, Dr. R.E. Cornish's dog almost sat up here today. The animal, which had milk-soaked biscuits added to its liver diet, attempted to rise on its front legs, Dr. Cornish said.

"Thirteen," as Dr. Cornish calls the dog because it was revived April 13 after being clinically dead for four minutes, appears to want to walk, the young scientist said. He stated that he plans to rig a "creeper" device if necessary to aid "Thirteen" in getting back on his four feet again.

From the Associated Press, October 15, 1934:

BERKELEY, Calif., Oct. 15 (AP)---A request that he be permitted to attempt to resuscitate executed criminals in the interests of science was made today to the governors of Arizona, Colorado, and Nevada by Dr. Robert E. Cornish, who successfully revived a clinically killed dog in experiments to restore life. Dr. Cornish, who put a mongrel to death in his laboratory April 13 and revived the animal, asked the governors' cooperation in carrying out his proposed experiments. Should such permission be granted, Dr. Cornish stated that legally such an executed prisoner, if revived, would be free, but he added the prisoner would consent to serving a life term. In his letters to the governors, Dr. Cornish declared he would not proceed without the consent of the prisoner, his attorney, or relatives.

Dr. Cornish's letter to the governors read:
Experiments in my laboratory at the University of California, with which I was formerly connected, have confirmed and amplified the 30 year old experiments of Dr. George Crile, which indicted that it is often readily possible to restore life to dead animals, provided the heart has been stopped only a few minutes. To properly perfect the process so it might become of service to humanity, it is desirable to test some of the methods on human beings.

Certain prisoners in your state suffer the death penalty, and I feel that some of these men might welcome an opportunity to do a final good deed for humanity and civilization, in this way also to some extent mitigating a terrible dishonor to their once good names. I feel that if we were permitted to try some of our new resuscitation methods, with the prisoner's consent, on a few prisoners immediately after their legal execution, results might be obtained which would end in the saving of thousands of human lives.

Lawyers tell me that if such a prisoner were brought back to life after execution, he would be legally free, and you may thus hesitate to turn a murderer loose. But I feel that this is only a legal technicality, and the prisoner himself might not object to spending the remainder of his second life in prison, if his life were thus restored to him."

Dr. Cornish added that it was difficult for him to explain the full purpose of his experiments in the letters, and requested appointments with the state executives. The young Berkeley biologist recently gained worldwide attention with his experiments on a dog nicknamed "Thirteen" because it was put to death in his laboratory on Friday, April 13. He said he revived the animal after its heart had stopped beating for four minutes. The resuscitated dog has shown steady but slow improvements since then, Dr. Cornish said, in its apparent return to normal life. The states of Nevada, Arizona, and Colorado have lethal gas chambers in which to carry out executions.

PHOENIX, Oct. 15--(AP)---Dr. Robert E. Cornish, Berkeley scientist, will not be able to experiment on executed convicts. "There will be nothing doing like that in my prison," Gov. B.B. Moeur said tersely today in reply to a question whether he would grant the permission. There was also doubt as to whether Dr. Cornish's experiment could be worked successfully on Arizona executed criminals because the method is by lethal gas which paralyzes the brain and heart.

RENO, Nev., Oct. 15--(AP)--Acting Governor Morley Griswold of Nevada was traveling on a campaign trip through the southern part of the state today and could not be reached of Dr. Robert E. Cornish of Berkeley, Cal., that he be permitted to attempt to resuscitate criminals executed in Nevada's lethal gas chamber. It was recalled here, however, that a similar request from a San Francisco physician was denied by Governor Frederick B. Balzar at the time Everett Mull, alias John Hall, was executed a year or two ago.

CANON CITY, Colo., Oct. 15--(AP)--An experiment in which a Colorado convict might be revived after he was executed, proposed by Dr. Robert E. Cornish at Berkeley, Cal., would be impossible under the states present laws, Warden Roy Best of Colorado prison said today.

A real Frankenstein story...

There was only one other article that Parker has found so far, but I didn't include it because I thought my other post was so long... here it is now:

From United Press International, March 7, 1963:

BERKELEY, Calif, March 7 (UPI)---Dr. Robert Cornish, a biochemist whose proposals to restore life in executed murderers 16 years ago made him the center of a medical, legal and ethical furor, died yesterday at the age of 59 after a heart attack.

Dr. Cornish attracted national attention in the middle 1930s when he restored dead dogs to life in his University of California laboratory. His work made him the target of an antivivisectionist protest that caused his removal from the university where he had set an array of records. Graduated at 18, he was at 22 the youngest person to receive a doctorate from the university.

In his experiments with dogs, he would kill the animals with nitrogen gas and about five minutes later, inject a solution of blood, heparin, and adrenalin. One dog lost his sight but seemed otherwise unaffected.

Dr. Cornish, a Roman Catholic, sought several times to get permission to try his experiments on condemned men, but was repeatedly turned down. Church leaders debated the morality of his experiments. In recent years, Dr. Cornish, a bachelor, lived in a tin shack in Berkeley. He marketed a dentifrice and made a steam-resistant paint. Later he dealt in war surplus goods.

I'd love to find out more if anybody can find anything out....

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
In recent years, Dr. Cornish, a bachelor, lived in a tin shack in Berkeley. He marketed a dentifrice and made a steam-resistant paint. Later he dealt in war surplus goods.

Typical - the way of all unappreicated geniuses ;)

I'd also love to hear more - if there is anymore I suppose.

(RE: Cornish)

I suddenly had a thought to use Amazon.com's search in book feature and turned up what is possibly the contents or something similar:

the Soviet cxperinients in vivisection and suspended auimation.'I'lle latterfeatut'essurgeon Robert Cornish's cxpcritnents on reviving clogs clinically dead from anesthesia Overdoses. It is available from Eddie Brandt films, Los Angeles. On newspapers

The Definition of Death: Contemporary Controversies
by Stuart J., M.D. Youngner

amazon.com/gp/reader/0801872294/?keywords=robert cornish dead&v=search-inside
Link is dead. Amazon no longer permits such a search within the book.

Might be worth a peek if you can track it down in the library to see what they say on this and similar matters. ...

---------
Update it is probable the Russians refered to are people like Demikhov who did terrible things with dog's heads:

forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21637
Link is dead. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/head-transplants.21637/

forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2670
Link is dead. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/threads/2670

Last edited by a moderator:
But Dr. Robert E. Cornish, research biologist and creator of the means of resuscitation, said he hoped the experiment may mean that many of the human lives lost through suffocation can be saved if the victim is reached in time.

Does this mean that if his experiments worked on humans, they would only work if the person had died of suffocation? Or is it just that he had only experimented on dogs that had died that way?

A few new links from the current Wikipedia article on him:

time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,747260,00.html
Linked article no longer available in full (short excerpt; remainder behind a paywall).

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/ModernMechanix/1-1935/lrg_dog_life.jpg

As a precaution, the image file to which this link points has been attached to this post.

lrg_dog_life.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,747260,00.html
Linked article no longer available in full (short excerpt; remainder behind a paywall).

Here's the original full text of the 1934 article ...

Lazarus, Dead & Alive
Monday, Mar. 26, 1934

Motionless on a white-covered table, small and insignificant in the harsh brilliance of overhead lamps, a fox terrier listed in the laboratory records as Lazarus II lay last week in a gloomy old building on the University of California's campus. White-clad figures moved in & out of the glare, watching the creature they had asphyxiated with ether and nitrogen. Lazarus II's heart stopped beating and he no longer breathed. His shoe-button eyes were glazed. Lazarus II was dead.

When six minutes had elapsed since the last heartbeat, sallow young Dr. Robert E. Cornish moved Lazarus II to a seesaw-like device called a teeterboard. There he opened one of the terrier's thigh veins to admit a saline solution saturated with oxygen and containing the heart stimulant adrenalin, the liver extract heparin and some canine blood from which the fibrin (coagulating substance) had been removed. While he breathed gustily into the dog's mouth, his assistant rubbed the kinky-haired little body, rocked it on the teeterboard. The stimulant solution sank in a glass gauge as it seeped into the corpse through five feet of rubber tubing. In a little while the gauge level stopped falling, began to rise in slow pulsations. Lazarus II gasped. His leg twitched. His heart began to beat, feebly at first, then like a triphammer, then normally. Lazarus II was alive.

For eight hours and 13 minutes the dog lay in an uneasy coma, whining, panting, barking, as if ridden by nightmares. Eager to speed recovery, Dr. Cornish injected some glucose solution. A blood clot formed and Lazarus II died again, this time for good and all.

Dr. Cornish selected another terrier, killed it and revived it the same way. But though no glucose was used the second dog also died a final death, after five hours. Said Dr. Cornish: "If the second animal had been dead two minutes instead of eight, I think it very likely he would have recovered. We will try the experiment again in a few days."

Thirty years ago Cleveland's famed Dr. George Washington Crile was experimenting on dead dogs with saline solutions, adrenalin, chest massages. Frequently Dr. Crile induced a resumption of the heartbeat after a few minutes' cessation, but the heart stopped again quickly because of blood clotting.

Two years ago the problem of resuscitation began to absorb Dr. Cornish. Last year he tried but failed to revive a man dead five hours of heart disease with oxygen mask and teeterboard, no injections. He had no better luck with two men dead six hours.

Despite last week's temporary success with dogs, Dr. Cornish will try to revive no more human corpses until he can nurse '"dead" animals to complete recovery. Onetime staffmember of the University of California's Institute of Experimental Biology, he has been carrying on with the aid of CWA funds.

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:

https://web.archive.org/web/2007110...m/time/magazine/article/0,9171,747260,00.html

Back