• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

It was great, wasn't it?

Though the highlight of the evening came later, when watching Casualty, my 8 year old son commented that it would be great if a Dalek appeared in the emergency room and exterminated everyone. Which I thought was a fantastic idea. Though they can leave Bex alone. She's been through enough...

Hopefully, the Christmas special will be a couple of episodes long, one on Christmas night, and one on Boxing Day or something.

anome said:
rjm said:
I'm hoping for a return eventually to an 'older' doctor, and perhaps with some travel into the past to visit great events...
Do you know what the last, strictly historical story was? With no aliens, time travellers, or mad scientists (excluding the Doctor, naturally)
The Highlanders
What about Black Orchid?
If we're excluding time-lords as aliens then could we include the George Stephenson story?
I must agree. The historicals are rather interesting and with the BBC's ability to do custume drama you'd think an absolute shoe-in. I think the writers reluctance to do proper historicals is because they think the show needs a decent monster in every story, and the fact that as we're still here the Earth obviously wasn't changed by the events in the story.

I do hope with the next series they get back to the idea that an individual story can run over more than two episodes (without damaging a possible undercurrent which runs through the series a la Bad Wold in this one). I wonder if they're afraid that people don't have the attention span anymore, and so it has to be quickfire dialogue, set pieces and then onto the new story? The last two episodes of the series just finished could really have benefitted from being a three parter really. I didn't really feel sorry for the people that were exterminated, and there was some really poor character development.. "I only came to work here because of you" "Oh how sweet" EX-TER-MINATE! And Rose saving the day was so rushed it became an anti-climax.

We shall see...

Red_Dalek said:
...I think the writers reluctance to do proper historicals is because they think the show needs a decent monster in every story...

Aye. Like there are not enough monsters in Earth's history. :evil:

With good characters and dialogue, you dont need to be worried that the world is going to end; its enough to care about the people involved and whether they get to go home for tea cakes and ginger beer at the end of it all.

Now that the TARDIS's sentience (or sapience) has been established, a nice TARDIS related ep might be good. Birth of a TARDIS perhaps?

Well, speaking as someone who has watched some of Hartnell's episodes, some of Troughton's, all of Pertwee's, all of Tom Baker's, all of Davison's and some of Colin Baker's ................ out of all of those episodes, 'Parting of the Ways' ranks up there with the best of them. Superb episode (I could nit-pick some minor flaws and irritating points but I won't). :)

I'd blocked Black Orchid (and most of Peter Davison's run) out of my mind. It seems you are right, my mistake.

Still, it was 20 years between them.

IronGiant said:
...I could nit-pick some minor flaws and irritating points...

Go on, you know it will make you feel better.

:idea: Has there ever been a TV show or film series that actually gave a stuff about continuity :?:

Soong said:
IronGiant said:
...I could nit-pick some minor flaws and irritating points...

Go on, you know it will make you feel better.

Nahhhh, no point - I'd rather concentrate on the MANY goods aspects of that episode rather than the very few less good ones. :)

Soong said:
:idea: Has there ever been a TV show or film series that actually gave a stuff about continuity :?:
The Simpsons?

I like the one part and two-parters. I rather hope I've got a slightly longer attention span than a goldfish. I like the completeness of it all. I hate soaps; I hate soap-like programmes, like The Bill. I want to watch a proper story. If I have to spend too long with the same characters (given that TV characterisation isn't a patch on what it is in books) then it reaches the point where I really don't give a flying Dalek's rivet about any of them. Just get to the point.

So - was Bad Wolf because of the Corporation, and Rose/Vortex then scattered it through time to warn herself; or was it the Vortex. Only I was getting the feeling that sometimes the Vortex and Rose were the same thing, and sometimes it was just the Vortex. Actually, I rather came away with the impression that the TARDIS possessed Rose to save 'My' Doctor.

edit Of course, a two-parter at the moment is rather the same length as a three-parter before, given that now it's 45 minutes rather than 25.

edit 2 Oh, and Black Orchid was my handle on the CB radio. Remember them? :lol:

Ravenstone said:
... Actually, I rather came away with the impression that the TARDIS possessed Rose to save 'My' Doctor.

:shock:

Ravenstone said:
Oh, and Black Orchid was my handle on the CB radio. Remember them? :lol:

Oh yer! I do. :D

Ravenstone said:
I like the one part and two-parters. I rather hope I've got a slightly longer attention span than a goldfish. I like the completeness of it all. I hate soaps; I hate soap-like programmes, like The Bill. I want to watch a proper story. If I have to spend too long with the same characters (given that TV characterisation isn't a patch on what it is in books) then it reaches the point where I really don't give a flying Dalek's rivet about any of them. Just get to the point.
It's not the lacking attention span, it's the practicality of actually sitting down and not missing an episode and then having a show where if you miss an episode it does matter because you won't know what's going on...

ala 24 and Alias.

I think the format for this show, ala buffy, was just right. and yeah, great point about the episode lengths. Aliens of London and World War three make almost the same duration as Pyramids of Mars or Ark in Space.

Actually, I rather came away with the impression that the TARDIS possessed Rose to save 'My' Doctor.

No, I thought that too.
But, if you've read the novels and the comic strips, then the TARDIS's looking after the Doctor is not a new thing, but it's nice to see it on the screen.

Like when the Doctor said the Daleks call him 'The Oncoming Storm', I'm pretty sure I've read that in the comic strip?

rac said:
Hopefully, the Christmas special will be a couple of episodes long, one on Christmas night, and one on Boxing Day or something.
Unfortunately RTD has already stated in an interview that the Xmas special will be a single ep., although it will be 15 minutes longer than the episodes in the series.

A whole hour long! :shock:

How about writing an episode in which the Comte De Saint Germain turns out to be a rogue timelord playboy.

Ravenstone said:
Actually, I rather came away with the impression that the TARDIS possessed Rose to save 'My' Doctor.
Yep, that's how I read it. The Tardis (or the heart of it anyway) left the 'Bad Wolf' bits scattered through time - but whether the words themselves have any significance is a mystery - then used Rose to talk to the Doctor.
Also, it appeared that only Captain Jack was brought back to life, rather than all the others killed. Could that be because he had travelled on the Tardis and was therefore known to it?

But wouldn't the Doctor have known what the Tardis was up to? And how come it wasn't fatal to Rose, who'd spent far longer 'posessed' by it than the Doctor?

Ravenstone said:
Oh, and Black Orchid was my handle on the CB radio. Remember them? :lol:
Absolutely. Many were the hours I spent discussing last night's TV and so on over the CB. Wouldn't do that sort of thing ... oh, wait...:)

Steve.

sjwk said:
Also, it appeared that only Captain Jack was brought back to life, rather than all the others killed. Could that be because he had travelled on the Tardis and was therefore known to it?

I am getting a mental image of the TARDISs being very much alive and willfull, controllable only by millennia of experience (trial and error) and nurturing (control) by the Time Lords. Is it my imagination, or does this tie in quite nicely which what the various series have said about the TARDIS.

How come the control circuits are now fixed, didnt The Docotor et al get bunged randomly around space and time in the old days?

sjwk said:
Ravenstone said:
Yep, that's how I read it. The Tardis (or the heart of it anyway) left the 'Bad Wolf' bits scattered through time - but whether the words themselves have any significance is a mystery
I got the impression that the BAD WOLF was simply the name of the corporation at that point. She takes the name and that's how it becomes scattered in the past, thus creating the "Bad Wolf" in the first place.... sort of a midgard serpent, chicken and the egg scenario

There's a new word for the second series that will start cropping up as well, and it's apparently already been heard, so that should be fun.

Apparently (though this is from the "Sun") RTD has been quoted as saying that Elizabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane) and K9 would be popping up in a cameo in season 2. No doubt if this rumour has some substance the sun, much like their coverage of the Dalek story, will be claiming their own successful campaign for her return. Would be interesting to see K9 in a junk shop somewhere, and Sarah Jane having become quite a dotty old lady, since the show has delved into what happens to assistants as a result of their travels with the doctor.

So second series has the Cybermen in it.... I think the third will definately have the Master in it, bringing the whole show to an end...for now.

Fantastic i'm sorry im a bit behind everyone els but ive been away for the weekend and i only got back late last night, i had to set my alarm an hour earlier this morning just so i could see the final episode before i went to work, i don't think i could have lasted the whole day in work knowing that it was at home waiting to be watched.
The daleks were as good now as they were when i first seen them as a kid (back then you didn't care how realistic they were going to look). And it gives me enormous hope that they will do my all time favorite Doctor Who bad guys justice, bring on the Cybermen.

Hook Innsmouth said:
I got the impression that the BAD WOLF was simply the name of the corporation at that point. She takes the name and that's how it becomes scattered in the past,

That's what I thought.

So second series has the Cybermen in it.... I think the third will definately have the Master in it, bringing the whole show to an end...for now.

Cybermen! Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ravenstone said:

Cybermen! Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

*Soong starts stocking up on gold-dust*

:D

*Soong starts stocking up on gold-dust*

Just as long as they don't have a sh*te plan as usual. Or the Dalek's last plotline recycled.

if they bring them back, I think the gold thing needs to go back in perspective to keep them menacing, no more running away from a bag of gold coins and a catapult:(

BlackRiverFalls said:
... no more running away from a bag of gold coins and a catapult:(

*Soong hides his catapult and pretends to be looking at the time...*

rjm said:
How about writing an episode in which the Comte De Saint Germain turns out to be a rogue timelord playboy.

Well the Comte had a lot in Common with a certain Casanova, didn't he...

I'm looking forward to seeing more slitheen and gelth in the new series (a good way to use the gelth would be one of those most haunted-eske shows going very wrong, with the fake medium really getting possessed by something). The new monsters in the last series have been great and there's been some good one off enamys for the doctor too like the Editor and the Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe and empty child nanobot plague too, things like the Daleks and the Cybermen have to be there too, but the quality of the writing, acting, special efects and directing this series has been great. Can't wait for the next and the christmas special.

i recon that the "spirit/soul" of the tardis is controling the dr.

cos somehow its picking up whats wrong with time/space etc and telepathicly giving clues/hits on what the dr can or cant do to rectify the problems

(proberly not a orginal theory)

Back