• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dragon Sculpture Police Warning

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Tregarth dragon sculpture prompts police road safety warning
3 February 2019

A giant wooden dragon has prompted a police warning to drivers not to slow down to look at it after an accident and numerous near-misses. The seven-metre (25ft) carving, called Y Ddraig Derw - the oak dragon - looks down on the A5, near Tregarth, Gwynedd. Sculptor Simon O'Rourke, who made the dragon, also urged motorists to pay attention to the road. North Wales Police said that while they "love the oak dragon" they were "concerned" about road safety issues.

Full Story:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47103392

Last edited by a moderator:
I really love the key points from this
  • carved on-site, from a fallen oak, where it has fallen
  • "a week's work with a chainsaw"....seriously? Such skill....
  • so you're driving along the A5 (which I've driven) and you see a vaguely dragon-shaped tree. Is that it? Do You just pull over, whip out your chainsaw, and live off a pack of Polo Mints & a bottle of Pepsi ("hi....look, sorry, something's come up. Can you collect the kids from school, I'm a bit...busy")
  • permission. Sought? Given? Required? I'd have thought a random roadside dragon could represent something of a mixed blessing (as outlined here)

That wooden one is a beautiful piece of work.

Sneinton, on the outskirts of Nottingham. Someone sculpted a spectacular metal dragon and positioned it on top of their gatepost at a residential address.

Years later, a similar dragon appeared on a metal pole at the side of a busy road. I vaguely heard that the house owner had been asked to move the one from his gatepost and that it had finally been agreed that he would donate it to the local community to be given a more suitable position.

However, looking it up today, I find that the one by the side of the main road was specially commissioned by the council.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sneinton_Dragon.jpg
43f40c34b9d57a353dfe96375b02b8b4ee2005de.jpg

Attachments

• 357182.jpg
    357182.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 16
Back