Dragons: Evidence They Existed

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
In Scandinavia it was believed that if if a bull calf was fed on milk all its life (after weaning) it would grow it be as big as an elephant. These were trained to fight lindorms or worms, huge poison breathing serpents. The fights usually ended in the death of both creatures.
Perhaps that was a tribal memory of the Aurochs? They were huge and there were attempts to domesticate them.
Not as big as an elephant, however.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How about unicorns? Do we have any first-hand sightings of unicorns? The horse-like kind.

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How about unicorns? Do we have any first-hand sightings of unicorns? The horse-like kind.
In part the unicorn legend may be based on the late survival of archaic species such as procamptoceras and elasmotherium. I cover these and other theories in one chapter my new book

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
In part the unicorn legend may be based on the late survival of archaic species such as procamptoceras and elasmotherium. I cover these and other theories in one chapter my new book
When's the new book out?

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Lord Mongrove; how old is that figure, who carved it?

It looks very modern, I love Atlas Obscura but sometimes its a bit `Roadside America` sort of features.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Lord Mongrove; how old is that figure, who carved it?

It looks very modern, I love Atlas Obscura but sometimes its a bit `Roadside America` sort of features.
If you read the article it tells you - 2012. Doesn't say who.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone has posted this here before, but i remember watching this 'mockumentary' many years ago and finding it really well made.