• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dragons: Evidence They Existed

In Scandinavia it was believed that if if a bull calf was fed on milk all its life (after weaning) it would grow it be as big as an elephant. These were trained to fight lindorms or worms, huge poison breathing serpents. The fights usually ended in the death of both creatures.
Perhaps that was a tribal memory of the Aurochs? They were huge and there were attempts to domesticate them.
Not as big as an elephant, however.

How about unicorns? Do we have any first-hand sightings of unicorns? The horse-like kind.

How about unicorns? Do we have any first-hand sightings of unicorns? The horse-like kind.
In part the unicorn legend may be based on the late survival of archaic species such as procamptoceras and elasmotherium. I cover these and other theories in one chapter my new book

In part the unicorn legend may be based on the late survival of archaic species such as procamptoceras and elasmotherium. I cover these and other theories in one chapter my new book
When's the new book out?

Lord Mongrove; how old is that figure, who carved it?

It looks very modern, I love Atlas Obscura but sometimes its a bit `Roadside America` sort of features.

Lord Mongrove; how old is that figure, who carved it?

It looks very modern, I love Atlas Obscura but sometimes its a bit `Roadside America` sort of features.

If you read the article it tells you - 2012. Doesn't say who.

Dragons, history's most famous monsters.
Near the end of the video.
'It remains an intriguing mystery; how could so many cultures, separated by such vast distances, create monsters so similar in appearance and behaviour to one another?'
Said after describing a bunch of creatures all very different in appearance. I don't see it. I don't see some universality in the various creatures that dragon books and videos attach the word 'dragon' to. Some commonality in human myth, perhaps, which sometimes includes reptilian beast; the primordial beast that needs to be slain to begin the world, the monster threatening a community destroyed by a hero. Versions of these myths often focus on non-reptilian creatures, too. I'll say it for certainly not the first time in this thread. Anything becomes universal if it's defined broadly enough.

Near the end of the video.
'It remains an intriguing mystery; how could so many cultures, separated by such vast distances, create monsters so similar in appearance and behaviour to one another?'
Said after describing a bunch of creatures all very different in appearance. I don't see it. I don't see some universality in the various creatures that dragon books and videos attach the word 'dragon' to. Some commonality in human myth, perhaps, which sometimes includes reptilian beast; the primordial beast that needs to be slain to begin the world, the monster threatening a community destroyed by a hero. Versions of these myths often focus on non-reptilian creatures, too. I'll say it for certainly not the first time in this thread. Anything becomes universal if it's defined broadly enough.
"Anything becomes universal if it's defined broadly enough." Does that include me? I'm 17 stone.

"Anything becomes universal if it's defined broadly enough." Does that include me? I'm 17 stone.
You're not defined by your physical size, buddy. Your knowledge, published books and willingness to gallivant around the world searching for evidence of beasts that have eluded other scientists is a greater measure of your worth.

Back