• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

Your subconscious is telling you that some of your ideas about the world are not really as tidy as you would like, hence you need to trim them more neatly.

My ideas are mine and garnered with much thought and contemplation from the ocean of infinite possibilities.
Not something that I have to do much soul searching about and I think you are barking up the wrong polystrate there. But, by all means continue with the intrusives and someone may get your drift.

Conspiracy theories are often pretty ragged, with lots of loose ends - maybe you subscribe to some ideas along those lines...?

Not really into conspiracy, more into rectifying woolly thinking and forgotten wisdom.
Also not impressed with old gits, as I’m one myself.

Well, you've asked for some dream analysis; however, you haven't specified what type (as we all know, there are many ways to interpret dreams). The most simplistic dream interpretation (for your one) would be an anxiety dream - I don't know if your trews symbolise work or going out ( a party, perhaps?) - the imagery suggests being uncomfortable and wanting conformity etc.

As for a Freudian interpretation - I will have to ask a friend who is a psychoanalyst...I could interpret, but I fear my lack of training would take us down 'the wrong trouser leg' (to nick an idea off Terry.P) :D

I suppose I should ask what other emotions you remember, plus colours etc. Anymore details?

Don't ask for dream analysis from strangers if you're not willing to accept what comes with equanimity. If any given dream means anything (and I submit that nothing in the universe requires any phenomenon to mean anything), it must come a) from an exterior entity; b) from yourself. That's all I can think of, but there's usually a third option if you look hard enough.

If the unconscious part of your brain is trying to communicate with you through dreams, it will do so using imagery that it expects the consciousness to recognize. If an exterior entity is trying to communicate with you, its best bet is to use standard symbol sets with which you are already familiar; i.e., Freudian, your mom's Gypsy Dream Guide, Jungian archetypes.

I know of no standard symbol system that uses frayed pants legs to mean anything. If the dream has meaning, you're better able to interpret it than anyone else here.

Good answer, except I disagree about interpretation. Often, in life, we need an outside perspective...otherwise, it is easy to get solipsistic or monmaniac. The most democratic view I can think of is to ask for interpretation, and if a reasonable person, take the most realistic one. Ultimately, dreams may be no more than the brain clearing house, or just finding patterns within activity. However, I believe that insecurities and so forth, do bubble up from the subconscious. I don't think that in many cases one needs to go thru the torture of psychoanalysis, but, associating may bring subjects to light. BTW, intersting thread :D

""the imagery suggests being uncomfortable and wanting conformity etc.

As for a Freudian interpretation - I will have to ask a friend who is a psychoanalyst...I could interpret, but I fear my lack of training would take us down 'the wrong trouser leg' (to nick an idea off Terry.P)

I suppose I should ask what other emotions you remember, plus colours etc. Anymore details?""

Hi again Daffi
I think I would go for the Freudian as being more reliable; as you’ve no doubt gathered I prefer old science to new. I understand that he’s considered to be totally unscientific these days, but still called upon by psychiatry and that’s good enough for me.
The main problem at present is a – an ex- close family member who seems to have gone completely bonkers and you are very close with the “wanting conformity”. It fits in with that.
The only emotion I remember is satisfaction with having done the job of trimming, with the kitchen scissors as I recall; after this they looked like new. I have never had any recollection of colours in dreams ever.

“”I submit that nothing in the universe requires any phenomenon to mean anything.””

Hi PeniG
This is a sad admission that is the direct opposite of the threads I’ve been posting lately. The humanistic/rationalist view is the cause of many of the ills of modern society.
I can’t claim to have any worrying psychological problems or hang-ups at this point in time. I like myself and I wouldn’t change me.

I often wonder how it is possible to live a life without meaning on a planet without meaning and to consider myself to be an accident of directionless nature on course for oblivion in the heat death of the universe.

“”Faith happens when the alternative to belief is considered to be unbearable. “”

almond13 said:
"I often wonder how it is possible to live a life without meaning on a planet without meaning and to consider myself to be an accident of directionless nature on course for oblivion in the heat death of the universe."
A lot of us do live a life without believing it has any particular meaning, outside of our own experiences. We just go with the flow. If there is some over-arching pattern to it all, we reckon we'll we'll understand it sometime, in this life or the next. Certainty now would be arrogance.

As for the heat death of the universe, that's a very 19th century idea - modern cosmology is in a state of high flux, with no real certainty about how the universe will evolve.

Hmm..all v. interesting.

The Freudian interpretation (as rendered from Freud) is probably not reliable (loads of reasons, prob good idea not to discuss here). However, as, after distancing myself from Freud's erm...problems, I still find many aspects of his theories to be intuitively pleasing.

For me, I need to blend my previous scientific training (physics) with my educative style (old private school with too much classics...thank you God) and my new academic knowledge of Psychology. So, while I like the old school science and manners etc, I do not believe that anything new is...er...by being new, wrong etc etc. So, in many respects, we are probably on a similar wavelength.

It has been my observation that if there is a content to dreams it is either bloody obvious, or as Freud would have it, a bit covert (my phraseology..heheh). Both need an outside perspective for a 'more complete' (allow me this...I don't want to write multi paragraphs) for greater personal understanding. The role of any interpreter or therapist is to guide (push, maybe) somebody into accepting an analysed version of the story they, themselves, have concocted.

Christ...this cider is good.!!!!

PS. for form's sake, re-read the above, but use a german accent :lol:

For me, I need to blend my previous scientific training (physics) with my educative style (old private school with too much classics...thank you God) and my new academic knowledge of Psychology. So, while I like the old school science and manners etc, I do not believe that anything new is...er...by being new, wrong etc etc. So, in many respects, we are probably on a similar wavelength.

Daffi, you poor sod, we all got problems, but had I known… :D :cry: ;)

Crosses...bourne...etc.... :lol:

Don't mention the endless philosophy classes either....me poor brain....AND Bloody Latin and Greek too. Gah, no wonder I'm a duck...

Ah...........so, dreams. Right. Ahem.

Anymore trouser related dreams? Oops, that sounds bad...you know what I mean...pervs... :lol:

This is a sad admission
Not for me. Meaning is a human construct. If I don't insist (as so many do) that the universe (this book, that experience) has One True Meaning and that if I uncover it I will somehow understand and be happy, but rather accept that the infinite universe is too big to fit inside my finite brain, I am free to go bungee-jumping through a joyfully huge world seeing bits of it with wonderful clarity, unfogged by my ego. When I need a meaning, I can make it.

I often wonder how it is possible to live a life without meaning on a planet without meaning and to consider myself to be an accident of directionless nature on course for oblivion in the heat death of the universe.”

I often wonder how it is possible to go through life insisting that somehow, somewhere, for somebody in charge, everything makes sense - that the baby born with an STD or addicted to heroin, the democracy subverted by those who are sworn to uphold it, the giant wave washing away thousands of innocent and guilty lives from birds to murderers, the hoards of poor beaten down by the elements and society in turn, the adolescent living in a childlike haze after a traffic accident and the family suddenly caring for her like a baby again in the same year that she was supposed to head out bravely into the world, the fundamentalist parent driving the homosexual child he loves to suicide - that all this is all part of some grand meaningful humanocentric plan and that this is better than the alternative. If it's all a random interaction of physics, free will, biology, chemistry, and contingency, I can bear all of it and uncover the shining moments of joy embedded in my life, accidental and sweet and glorious, and find meaning where I need it.

You do what you need to to survive, and I'll do what I need to. Faith has only ever betrayed me. I personally am better off without it. Your situation is not mine and I don't insist that it's better for you.[/quote]

I often wonder how it is possible to go through life insisting that somehow, somewhere, for somebody in charge, everything makes sense - that the baby born with an STD or addicted to heroin, the democracy subverted by those who are sworn to uphold it, the giant wave washing away thousands of innocent and guilty lives from birds to murderers, the hoards of poor beaten down by the elements and society in turn, the adolescent living in a childlike haze after a traffic accident and the family suddenly caring for her like a baby again in the same year that she was supposed to head out bravely into the world, the fundamentalist parent driving the homosexual child he loves to suicide - that all this is all part of some grand meaningful humanocentric plan and that this is better than the alternative. If it's all a random interaction of physics, free will, biology, chemistry, and contingency, I can bear all of it and uncover the shining moments of joy embedded in my life, accidental and sweet and glorious, and find meaning where I need it.
Amen! ;)

I often wonder how it is possible to go through life insisting that somehow, somewhere, for somebody in charge, everything makes sense.

I don’t pretend it makes sense and I am well aware of the vale of tears that is this planet and to add to the natural disasters we cause a few more ourselves.
However, what I don’t do is to reject traditional values and build myself an idol and a religion whose credo is humanistic rationalism and total scepticism and claim that it possesses all wisdom and knowledge. This is a construct that fills me with dread. It is an almost exact analogue of the “fundamentalist parent driving the homosexual child he loves to suicide”. You see he thinks he’s right also and he will go to extreme lengths to prove it. The world doesn’t work the way that extremists would have us believe. There are no answers – just choices and we need to be sure that the ones we make are the best – for us personally.

"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go
away, I'm looking for the truth.' and so it goes away. Puzzling."
- R. Pirsig :roll:

Neither do I. The world is not obliged to have meaning. It's not obliged to have no meaning. It just is. We do the best we can with it. Or the worst we can with it. Or shove our heads up our butts and pretend to live somewhere else entirely.

If you choose what you believe - you don't. But it doesn't matter what any of us believe. All that matters is who we are and what we do with that.

This one is more than just dreaming:
When I was young I was ill on a regular basis, quite a weak and sickly kid. During some of these bouts and as I remember sometimes when not ill, I would get this dream seemingly just before waking.
Everything seemed to be made of porcelain, me, the bedclothes, the pillow etc. This may not seem much, but I can tell you it was very unpleasant. The nearest I can come to describing it is that I was like a cup between two plates, squeaking and grating. It makes me shudder to think.
This subsided as I got older and disappeared, until my daughter came to me when she was about ten years old and described the same dream in all its blackboard-scratching detail. I know I had not told her about this…

I think I know what you mean, Almond. I had a similar sensation as a kid - that everything had a shiny hard 'skin' like the glaze on ceramics. Perhaps it's a kid thing!

Actually almond that sounds very familiar and immediately puts me in mind of 'the big/small thing' (because of the horrible gritty, grating texture) which we discussed at great length on here some years ago and quite a lot of people seemed to get as kids.

I'll do a forum search but I'm not making any promises ... you know the search engine.

It was a good thread.

/edit/ Wow, it only fucking found it!

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6550

It was a good thread.

/edit/ Wow, it only fucking found it! :D
Thanks for the link Lizard23, These are fascinating and I’ll read them all when time allows. I know what you mean about the search engine – I thought it was my own incompetence.

I worked nights for about six years once and my brain would do the weirdest things at times, when I was most tired. Driving home one morning I suddenly became aware of the complete mass of the earth; would you believe. It was in front of me – not like space – and I could see it all at once, impossible to describe, but awesome. Something of the big/small I suppose. I was not driving BTW.
:shock:

I think I know what you mean, Almond. I had a similar sensation as a kid - that everything had a shiny hard 'skin' like the glaze on ceramics. Perhaps it's a kid thing!
That’s pretty close and I didn’t realise that it was common.
In my case though they were rock solid and rigid, as were my limbs and body.
I was able to move slightly though, and that’s were the grating came in. Strange.
:)

Didn't we have a members dreams thread somewhere? I was going to post something on it but i can't find it and there's too many hits for 'dream' on the search function to sift through...

that's what i'm sayin', BRF, I posted the link near the top of the first page.

The other night i had a dream where i went into a shop to buy a mug, only the shopkeeper seemed to have a totally different idea of what a mug was to the rest of the world and offered me a totally unrelated item (it was an oven dish or something).

So then i stood there asking for every synonym of mug i could think of, only they all meant something else to the shopkeeper too, so i kept on trying to buy a mug and he kept on putting different items that weren't a mug in front of me...

I suspect this is my subconscious trying to tell me something about my own life :? :shock: :D

fnordish said:
this has been bothering me a lot over the years. does anyone else's brain manufacture entire sets of memories for their dreams? ...

At one time or another I've experienced:

- references to persons, places, things, etc., which within the given dream I recognize as elements of another (prior) dream which may be either: (a) an earlier dream I can specifically recall having earlier (once awake) or (b) an *allegedly* earlier dream I cannot recall / confirm on waking

- plot lines which continue (albeit sometimes after a gap) from a plot line in a prior dream.

- synthetic characters (i.e., not 'real life' persons) who recur as themselves - and with reference to their earlier occurrences - over a period of years.

- certain locations (not extant in the 'real world') which recur as scene settings or waypoints during subsequent travel (in later dreams).

- occasional 'flashback' scenes viewed as an observer - scenes which I both acknowledge as 'replays' from a prior dream (when dreaming) and can recognize as elements of a particular prior dream (upon waking).

- characters with whom I mutually acknowledge the current dream is a dream.

- characters from whom I attempt to receive / 'preserve' contact information or messages.

zizzerzazzer said:
... I also have these dreams where I'm not exactly lucid, as Im not aware i'm dreaming. But I feel like I'm awake and everything I think of happens. But I don't have any power over what happens. It's like I forsee everything a split second before it manifests. ...

I've had instances of such 'within-dream-precognition' in both lucid and non-lucid dreams. In both cases it's as if I've read the 'script' and simply know what's going to happen. In the non-lucid case reference to a prospective state of affairs simply 'feels like knowledge' to me as first-person actor. In more 'lucid' or 'lucid-tending' cases it may also have a connotation of 'I'm dreaming and I've read the script' or even 'I'm directing this scene and I know what's to occur.'

Only rarely do I intervene to alter, re-direct, or edit things 'felt as plot line knowledge'. I'm more likely to proactively alter or edit a paticular static element (character, object, setting) which ends up having the effect of obviating the 'felt as known' prospect(s) or shifting the plot line away from the outcome originally 'felt as known' ...

almond13 said:
... my brain would do the weirdest things at times, when I was most tired. Driving home one morning I suddenly became aware of the complete mass of the earth; would you believe. It was in front of me – not like space – and I could see it all at once, impossible to describe, but awesome. Something of the big/small I suppose. I was not driving BTW. :shock:

This reminds me of a waking experience (under physical / cognitive duress). Many years ago I was a rear seat passenger in a car on a long trip. At one point I felt an overwhelming sense of 'mass' or 'weight' in myself and everything else. It seemed that everything (myself included) was 'compressing' into 2 dimensions (compression along the 'front / back' axis of my vantage), and that the degree of 'mass' was proportional to the degree of perceived 'compression'.

This 'mass sensation' grew until I couldn't move my limbs without great effort. For some reason it struck me as analogous to being gravitationally 'crushed' at an event horizon bounding a black hole. When another passenger asked if I were OK (I was sitting silent and unmoving, starting ahead blankly...) it was with great effort that I answered, "I'm being crushed at the Einstein Limit."

fnordish said:
this has been bothering me a lot over the years. does anyone else's brain manufacture entire sets of memories for their dreams?...

I've got the set of dream memories within a dream sort of thing, where I remember stuff from previous dreams as part of the past of this one. Sometimes on the edge of lucidity, sometimes just as part of the dream (in those cases its when I wake up and remember the dream that I remember, remembering past dreams within that dream if that's not too many iterations to follow.

I've also had continuing characters and stories, and there's a definite dream landscape that revist bits and pieces of over the years. Sometimes 'new' places are recognizable 'overwritings' of older long established places. I've speculated before that this is something to do with the way that memory works, that we have some memory of a particular house that acts as the 'standard' house (for us) and we remember every other house by producing variations on that model.

It might explain while some dream places and images appear to be composites of one or more places or people or things.

H_James said:
that's what i'm sayin', BRF, I posted the link near the top of the first page.

Haa.... until a nasty mod got in the way and merged the threads! :twisted:

Jane.

Back