• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreamed Of Places That You Have Never Been To Or Seen That Are Real

Vida Loca

Devoted Cultist
This has only happened to me twice. I am posting this now as the second time was yesterday whilst casually browsing our local rag online I was stunned to see a photo of a place I dreamed about a couple of weeks ago. In the dream I was at a Working Mens Club and they were playing Bingo. I haven't been to such a place for decades and I don't play Bingo. It was quite a detailed dream and I can still recall it clearly even the outside location. However this didn't match the one in the photo... but the function room did! Apart from the lack of extra tables and chairs where people were sat drinking and playing it was identical. I was gobsmacked. I know where the place is but have never ever been there. I also appreciate that WM Clubs can be similar in many ways but the layout etc and curtains etc matched. The photo was taken at the vantage point that I remember being at as well. I also have just one more I dreamed of many years back and I ended up there eventually through all manner of happenstance that couldn't be forseen or created. This time it was Scarborough and I stood in the very same vantage point as my dream then too. It shook me tbh and my friend who was with me was amazed when I explained. It wasn't a scary dream pretty normal basically. Loved the place

Last edited:
The Scarborough incident didn't involve a photo and was the most weird thing of all. I will never forget it.

This has only happened to me twice. I am posting this now as the second time was yesterday whilst casually browsing our local rag online I was stunned to see a photo of a place I dreamed about a couple of weeks ago. In the dream I was at a Working Mens Club and they were playing Bingo. I haven't been to such a place for decades and I don't play Bingo. It was quite a detailed dream and I can still recall it clearly even the outside location. However this didn't match the one in the photo... but the function room did! Apart from the lack of extra tables and chairs where people were sat drinking and playing it was identical. I was gobsmacked. I know where the place is but have never ever been there. I also appreciate that WM Clubs can be similar in many ways but the layout etc and curtains etc matched. The photo was taken at the vantage point that I remember being at as well. I also have just one more I dreamed of many years back and I ended up there eventually through all manner of happenstance that couldn't be forseen or created. This time it was Scarborough and I stood in the very same vantage point as my dream then too. It shook me tbh and my friend who was with me was amazed when I explained. It wasn't a scary dream pretty normal basically. Loved the place
Quite astonishing. It looks like a memory of the future. Anthony Peake explained that type of Deja vu, in his books 'Is there life after death', the Daemon, etc... I once dreamed of some type of terrace with trees, overlooking a seascape. A year or so later, I went to spain in a camping with my parents and there was this exact view.

I had a recurring dream of a specific place, on and off, my whole childhood and occasionally, when I was a teenager or in my 20s.

In my 30s, I was living not far from the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. One day, when I'd not been there long, friends who had lived there a while, took me out for the day and up into the foothills. I think it was near Boulder. Friend pulled off the road, and said "Follow me! You'll love this!" I remember it was a wooded area, and no signposts, nothing to indicate if you were driving past, that 'something' was nearby. And you couldn't see through the trees, to get a sense of what was beyond them.

Followed the friends through the trees and suddenly, we were on a ledge of rock, with a steep drop - very dramatic - and could see across the plains below for what looked like hundreds of miles. There were native American pictographs on the rocks and a few hippies, IIRC - as I say, the place was then not signposted and I would never have found it on my own. The view out across the plains and just the suddenness of this place... one minute, walking through trees the next, just bare rocks and this massive sheer drop. The second I saw it, I remembered that dream of a place and I never had that dream again. I've just looked for the site online but can't find it. Will keep looking. I've totally forgotten what it was called. I think it was near Boulder but not sure.

Had similar. Used to suffer a recurring nightmare when i was in this dilapidated mansion, walking around trying to get out of it because there was something bad in there with me. Dream was just me walking round bare-ish rooms with the occasional large bit of furniture or ornate fireplace and boarded over windows. Always ended with me outside looking back at the place from a certain angle in the dark (side view of the house). This dream happened when i was a kid and i don't think it was that recurring, just memorable.

Fast forward to my late teens and i'm in the north-east in a car with my dad on some A-road on business. Pulled into a lay-by for a break and i popped out to go for a pee. The other side of the road was walled with large trees the other side, but there was break in the wall with a small overgrown entrance that looked ideal to do the business undisturbed *cough*. Anyway when i had finished i walked a bit further up the entrance where there was a wire fence and you've guessed it, there was the big dilapidated mansion with boarded-up windows, sideways on as in the dream, but in the daytime. Very odd because i knew in my entire life i'd never been this far north and it wasn't a tourist attraction, just an abandoned mansion. Only thing i can think of is it was used in some television programme or a book that i saw as a kid that scared me and that had caused the recurring nightmare, but seeing it from the position of a small side entrance rather than the main entrance seems odd. Spooked me a bit at the time though so there was no way i was gonna see if the inside was the same even if i had the time. I wish i could remember where exactly it was now, but being 1988 and not 2019 we didn't have the option to google it sadly.

I had a vivid experience when I was about eight or nine. My mum took me to Newton Abbot (yes, we know how to live in my family), and, in getting off the train, I just 'knew' the layout of the station. Everything was where it ought to be... I had dreamed it.

At this remove, I can't tell you if I really had dreamed about the place, or whether this was my first experience of deja vu, and my brain sort of 'retconned' a dream to make the experience explicable to my young mind.

I used to get regular deja vu incidents as a teenager, but probably not had one for over 40 years. Some while ago I read an article about investigation at the time as to whether brain signals are simply being sent down the wrong route, fooling you into thinking that you had "seen it all before". As a teenager of course your brain is not fully developed ( I'm sure a few out there will say mine still isn't) so the article made some sense to me. Don't know what the outcome of the research was.

I definitely dreamed of Scarborough a few years before I ended up going there through a route of events I hadn't been subjected to ( it was via voluntary work duties). The dream was so clear and detailed and there was just one thing different in my real life experience. Other than that it was spot on and I also felt somewhat at home there even finding a shop well off the beaten track without any hesitation.

I definitely dreamed of Scarborough a few years before I ended up going there through a route of events I hadn't been subjected to ( it was via voluntary work duties). The dream was so clear and detailed and there was just one thing different in my real life experience. Other than that it was spot on and I also felt somewhat at home there even finding a shop well off the beaten track without any hesitation.
I wonder whether there was some sort of ancestor memory involved there.

Good point although I don't have any known ancestors from thereabouts but I definitely felt as though I had been there before in another time. Irrespective of the dream - as it was a few days after we had been there that I saw the vantage point after looking across coming out of a shop.

I have had vivid dreams of places I've never been, but can't find anything on Google maps that look like them.

I've dreamt of a port city that I think should be in Greece or Italy, but have found nothing to substantiate it. I have never travelled across the ocean.

I sometimes see places in my dreams but would not be able to describe them when awake. Strangely enough, I can be in the same place (in my dream) literally years later & know that I have been there before, even thought I couldn't describe it.

It feels like a specific set of emotions may trigger specific imagery. It is very strange though.

Strangely enough, I can be in the same place (in my dream) literally years later & know that I have been there before, even thought I couldn't describe it.
I sometimes have this. If I remember the dream when I wake up, though (and it's not often that I do), I wonder whether I actually did dream about that place before, or whether I was just dreaming that I had...

Don't know where to put this, as nothing has yet happened to justify a thread of its own, but...

Close friend has been sent by work to Egypt for several weeks. First week is over and all's going well, but this morning he video called me from there to express his overwhelming sense of foreboding. Specifically it was triggered by/tied in with what he kept referring to as constant deja vu all day. I checked he was using the word correctly..and yes he's referring to seeing new things. the layout of things around him, strangers passing him by, with the certainty of having seen the scenes before. I asked is it just in the moment that he encounters a thing that he has the sensation or is he actually anticipating what's around the corner before he gets there. He insists its the latter. The example he gave - if ive not misunderstood him - is of telling the people he was in a car with that a stranger was going to pass in front of them next. and - again if ive not misunderstood - a very specific person whose face he had in mind, mole on chin and all - then did so.

I volunteered the suggestion he may have had a precog dream of the events, but forgotten the fact of the dream.

I asked if he had this feeling before and if so did anything come of it. He says he only has it before a death. And indeed he did once report - and i repeated on these boards - about his having this restless presentiment prior to a particular family death.

I'll update you if anything comes of it.

Whatever you do, Vida, if you ever go back... Don't go down the far end of Peasholm Park - that about 20 years ago was almost deserted, a bit like Fangorn Forest, but had been a lively area with kiddies' boating ponds and everything in my childhood. It's probably long since been done up again. We went there one afternoon around 1994, and coming up a flight of stairs, back onto street level, had my literally closest encounter.

I've been back to Scarbella as my kids call it, many times since but never again been back to that spot. Had so many happy childhood memories of it from the 1960s, but when I went there in 1994 - it was almost unrecognisable. And very creepy.

It's generally known round here (North Yorkshire) as 'Scarbados' or just 'Scabby'.

Very very run down in places and gentrified in others.

Scarbados! Ha love it.

Mr Zebra and I stayed in a small hotel in Scarborough for a weekend, many years ago not long after we were married. We had our dog with us (the first dog we'd ever owned together :) ), and when we went into the bar for a drink, there were some elderly-ish folks having some sort of shindig, and they thought it mightily amusing if we would allow our dog to dance with them.

And so we did. We happily left her there with them, dancing away (yes, on hind legs, with them holding her front paws) for part of the evening!

Have never been able to find the place on google maps, so couldn't tell you what establishment it was. All I can remember is it was small, a terraced sort of building (as opposed to a big detached hotel - didn't have it's own car park or owt, we parked on the street) and it had a bar on the ground floor.

Cracking chips at the seafront, though. As they always are near the sea, of course.

Scarbados! Ha love it.

Mr Zebra and I stayed in a small hotel in Scarborough for a weekend, many years ago not long after we were married. We had our dog with us (the first dog we'd ever owned together :) ), and when we went into the bar for a drink, there were some elderly-ish folks having some sort of shindig, and they thought it mightily amusing if we would allow our dog to dance with them.

And so we did. We happily left her there with them, dancing away (yes, on hind legs, with them holding her front paws) for part of the evening!

Have never been able to find the place on google maps, so couldn't tell you what establishment it was. All I can remember is it was small, a terraced sort of building (as opposed to a big detached hotel - didn't have it's own car park or owt, we parked on the street) and it had a bar on the ground floor.

Cracking chips at the seafront, though. As they always are near the sea, of course.
The Captain Hotel?

The Captain Hotel?

Hmm... no. Definitely that sort of thing (although neither of us can remember if it had a flight of steps up t'front like that one) but the one thing Mr Zebra's just reminded me is that we parked across the road from it, so it must have been more open on the other side of the road.

Thanks for suggesting that one anyway! (Didn't mean to come across like I'm expecting people to find it for me :shy: )

I dreamt I went to tristan de cunha!

In my dream it had a beautiful old coastal town, similar to the Italian/south of France coastal cliff villages.

When I woke I had to google image search Tristan de cunha and I was right it had a coastal town but it’s beauty is different to what I dreamt.

I’d still love to go!

Not a place but a word. I usually have vivid, interesting and often strange dreams. I sometimes recall my unconscious brain telling my conscious brain to recall an aspect of my dream, and I do. A few nights ago, I was having a dream about an evil persona (can't recall the detail now) that was depicted in a large black and white painting that I came across. Some odd things happened and the painting was there again without the persona. Wooowoo. Lots of other strange stuff happened and at a point in the dream I clearly remember (I can still) telling myself to remember an important phrase, which was 'ledger domain'. I can recall that, in my dream, I did not recognise the phrase but I still told myself several times to remember it. Anyway, the next morning I recalled it clearly and I still didn't recognise it. When I got downstairs I looked up what it may be. My search instantly came up with the word 'legerdemain' and no other comparable match. Legerdemain means 'conjuring', 'magic', 'wizardry' etc. I have a pretty good vocabulary and cannot ever recall reading or hearing it before - but I must have. Quite odd though.

Past life ?

Art of Jugling0116A.jpg Art of Legerdemain.jpg

(Smoke and Mirrors Exhibition at Senate House, London. March 2019)

My own vivid dream a few years ago had me lost in Aachen (Germany, I think), which seemed as random as it gets as I've never been near the place. I tried to get my bearings by re-tracing my steps through streets with some stunning medieval houses, but always got trapped in a never-ending underground car-park. My brother did visit Aachen some months later and (not knowing about my dream) gave a strangely familiar account of the old city and the modern underground parking. Guess I need to go to check it out.

Do you recall any details from the paintings, Iris?

I dream't of flying over fields, it looked like it had been a drizzly day, i didn't recognise it, but a name came into my head, it was Ganymede, found out it was a planet.

Ooh Ganymede is one of my favourite astronomical names :D Tis a moon of Jupiter I believe.

Interesting that the name came into your head while flying over fields though.

I wanted to be there longer but it was relatively quick so I just got the general impression when I woke.
I thought at the time that it might have had something to do with the other dreams about Egypt I was having .

Back