• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreaming & Clothes

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
I remember a lot about my dreams when I wake up, but I couldn't tell you much about what I was wearing. Had an odd dream recently where I was in some sort of Victorian dreamscape with, lovely massively tall buildings, and I was some sort of investigator.

When I woke up after telling a man, "I've a murderer to catch" I realized I remembered what I was wearing- something I never really do. It was full Doc Watson garb.

I've had the ubiquitous dream when you are suddenly naked, but almost never remember the clothing I'm wearing in the majority of dreams. Even in rumpy-pumpy dreams when I've presumably shed clothes to have sex - I couldn't tell you much about what trousers I'd been wearing.

Don't take this query the wrong way, but what do you wear in bed? That could be a factor - though now you mention it, I never remember what I wear in dreams.

Yes, agree, cannot ever remember what I wore in dreams...until....just one exception...had a dream the other night where I was wearing an anti-Covid face mask.

Interesting concept but I agree with Min Bannister - I've never seen myself in dreams so I wouldn't know what I was wearing.

I hope I never see myself in a mirror in a dream though - I avoid mirrors enough in real life!

I can recall a few instances where my own clothing was visible and / or an issue within a dream ...

(1) In a surreal dream that turned frightening I found myself wanting to run away, but it was difficult to move. I looked downward to find I was wearing a vintage diver's suit with lead-weighted belt and weighted boots.

(2) In another surreal dream I was the caretaker / steward / peacekeeper within a vast modernistic enclosed space (think of a city housed within a Seventies / Eighties era shopping mall) - the thematic opposite of a wild spirit sowing chaos in the dream's storyline. At one point I caught my full-length reflection in a plate glass window. I was dressed in a stylish black militaristic outfit similar to a Death Star officer, with a black shoulder bag hanging at my hip. The bag contained a submachine gun.

(3) There was a tense impending battle dream with a 19th century Wild West or Civil War motif in which I was wearing one of those caped duster coats that caused me problems in reaching and deploying my cap and ball revolver when the dreaded savages assaulted our position.

(4) In a somewhat Gothic / horror themed dream I looked at myself in a large antique wall mirror. The reflection I saw was akin to a wraith version of myself (pale, 'floating', but apparently solid). I noticed the self-image was wearing a sort of cloak (a la LOTR), and I looked down to see I was wearing ordinary street clothes.

Unless you looked in a mirror or had occasion to look down at yourself I guess you wouldn't have any way to know what you are wearing.

We don't tend to perceive ourselves very well in dreams, it's almost that we are just one big eye, unless it's sex, our if we get part of ourselves trapped in bedding.

Clothes do feature in my dreams, and not just the ones where you're wearing a short vest and no pants.
I've seen myself in mirrors, or somdtimes from that third-person viewpoint, it's usually in a situation where what I'm wearing's not right for what I'm doing, or I have to change for some reason and either don't have time, or have forgotten something. The clothes are usually something I have or have had in the past. The dreams are mainly a category of my repertoire of anxiety dreams.

So, do clothes matter in dreams mostly/only when there is some anxiety or dread involved?

So, do clothes matter in dreams mostly/only when there is some anxiety or dread involved?

Not in my case. I think (for me) it's most likely to be relevant when:

(a) I feel some personal haptic or movement anomaly in the context of the dream action and need to check my own person, or ...
(b) I'm confused or curious about myself (my 'character'?) and I make a point to inspect myself.

We don't tend to perceive ourselves very well in dreams, it's almost that we are just one big eye, unless it's sex, our if we get part of ourselves trapped in bedding.
Maybe but I am not sure I perceive myself much in daily life either. Does anyone? I think about what I am wearing when I put it on, when I take it off and not much in between unless its something fabulous or annoying. Dreams normally start in the middle, ie not with getting dressed in the dream morning. At least they do for me. Your mileage may vary!

Do you dream lucidly? You could try to notice what you are wearing next time you have a lucid dream. I will try to remember to do this too.

Here I describe a dream in which I wasn't naked but I do 't remember what I had on. "Some clothes" was obviously fine and enough.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-covid-19-pandemic.67108/page-10#post-1975251

Back