Dreaming Of Dead People

A

Anonymous

I vaguely remember someone saying it was bad luck to dream about the dead. Anyone now why that is?

A

Anonymous

Hmmm..strange

I don't know why it would be back luck, except that maybe it meant you were gonna be seeing them soon!
I sometimes see my grandpa and grandma in dreams. No real reason, they just occasionally show up to say hi. Doesn't bother me at all! :)

darrenxyz

Devoted Cultist
I often have dreams in which my dead dogs are still alive. Dunno what that means in terms of luck or anything.

Pinklefish

Abominable Snowman
I don't think it's bad luck. I dream about my grandparents all the time. They're just there in the dream, they don't do anything.
I think they are there to remind me of what they were like when they were alive and well - so I don't remember them as I last saw them (both very ill).
If it's people you miss, you're obviously going to dream about them.
It could also be the dead just saying "hi", too.

pinkle

darrenxyz

Devoted Cultist
Don't ever do what again?? Mention dogs in more than one thread?? :rofl: Still, the dreams of the dogs aren't the same as their ghosts. (Not how I mean it anyway.)

In the dreams, however, they look much as they did in life. Sometimes the dreams even run along the lines of, I thought they were dead but then they turn up alive after all and I realise I must have made a mistake. I don't know what that says about me - perhaps something about me not being willing to let go of the past or something.

hexkitten

Junior Acolyte
I don't think it's bad luck to dream about dead people, it just means that they are there somewhere in the back of your mind and your subconcious brings it to the front while you sleep.

My friend dreamt of her sister last year - (she died of cancer 2 years previously). She came to tell her that everything would be OK. She woke up and called her mother and her other sister, neither of whom were particularly interested. All the phonecalls woke up her 11 year old daughter who asked what was going on.

When she told her that she had seen her sister her daughter replied - 'so what I see her all the time, she strokes my hair and holds my hand until I go to sleep'.:eek!!!!:

Anyway, it was good luck for them, they won a court case!

A

Anonymous

Re: Dreaming of dead people

I dont think its unlucky at all to dream of the dead. I was wishing my nana quite badly after she passed away and a few months later I dreamt she came down her stairs and walked into the living room. She hugged and told me she loved me , whether it was a real vistation or just my subconscious telling me what I wanted to hear I dont know or care but it made me feel alot better :)

A

Anonymous

My Grandfather died without suddenly without saying goodbye to me, my mother, my sister or my Grandmother. About a month after it happened we all the same dream about him. We are in a brilliant green field filled with butterflies, and there is this cobblestone path that we follow to a little thatched roof cottage. As we enter my Grandfather is sitting on a chair in front of the fireplace. He stands up and hugs us then drifts up to the heavens. Even now about six years later I have dreams of him when I need support, he usually shows up and holds my hand or hugs me. What's really strange is when I wake up I can still feel the sensation.

marion

Ungnoing.
After my great grandmother died my mother kept seeing her in dreams,she would suddenly appear in dreams that had nothing to do with her , each time she appeared wearing the same coat and carrying her handbag but in a more and more advanced state of decomposition . Eventually my mother got fed up with it and told her grandmother to stop appearing in her dreams as she was dead and shouldn't be there . After that she dreamed about her once more, this time not rotting ,and the dream was fillled with light and a sense of positive wellbeing . She never dreamed about her again .

Schrodinger's Zebra

Eight pounds ten in the biscuit tin
For a short while after my father died, I would have dreams where he would be there, and I would say to my mother, who was also in the dream, that "I thought he was dead". Curiously (or perhaps not!) I don't recall ever actually talking to him in the dream, asking him why he was there if he was dead. Just saying it (almost as a whisper) to my mother, while he was somewhere in the background.

I assumed it was my subconscious, though, because in real life I had not been given the opportunity to say goodbye as it were, so there was probably a genuine lack of fully understanding that he was dead, that manifested itself into my dreams (I was but a teenager at the time).

Tapeloop

Junior Acolyte
Was wondering if there was a thread like this and up it pops today.

I had a very similar dream to some of these older posts. My ex-girlfriend died of cancer last year at quite a young age (mid 40s). Now, I hadn't seen her in some time and I didn't go to her funeral which made me feel quite bad. So, about a week after her funeral I dreamt that we met and she was telling me she was feeling fine now and everything was okay and she sent her love. Then she hugged me and I woke up. After that I've never dreamt about her at all.

I guess she was obviously on my mind at that time, but she wasn't a regular in my dreams before that. I wonder if that's a kind of archetypal dream designed to make us feel better when we lose someone?