• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreaming Of The Dead

A

Anonymous

Maybe a bit off topic...

Haven't had a phone call as such, but my mum passed on 5 yrs ago, and for ages i would dream of the phone ringing, and there was my mums eerily 'Disembodied' voice, it really freaked me out at the time, as she'd say things like '..I don't know where i am..'

Writing thats upset me more than i realised... :(

A friend of mine's mother died of cancer. A few months later he dreamed she called him and said "Chris, there are six levels. Which one are you on?"

That always unsettled me a little.

Two mentions of dreams of receiving phantom phone calls suggests that most (if not all) might be be dreams...

Not that I mean to disparage a spiritual interpretation - it could be that souls on the other side interact directly with our minds, and try to communicate by what they feel to be the least threatening method.

Visual ghosts are usually seen as scary, but telephone conversations are, by their very nature (even with 'real' people), somewhat disembodied, so a spirit might feel that they would be more acceptable via a phone call.

One day we'll all know - or not...

My Grandfather died without suddenly without saying goodbye to me, my mother, my sister or my Grandmother. About a month after it happened we all the same dream about him. We are in a brilliant green field filled with butterflies, and there is this cobblestone path that we follow to a little thatched roof cottage. As we enter my Grandfather is sitting on a chair in front of the fireplace. He stands up and hugs us then drifts up to the heavens. Even now about six years later I have dreams of him when I need support, he usually shows up and holds my hand or hugs me. What's really strange is when I wake up I can still feel the sensation.

After my great grandmother died my mother kept seeing her in dreams,she would suddenly appear in dreams that had nothing to do with her , each time she appeared wearing the same coat and carrying her handbag but in a more and more advanced state of decomposition . Eventually my mother got fed up with it and told her grandmother to stop appearing in her dreams as she was dead and shouldn't be there . After that she dreamed about her once more, this time not rotting ,and the dream was fillled with light and a sense of positive wellbeing . She never dreamed about her again .

I had a couple of odd experiences when my boyfriend died in October 1998, a week or so before my birthday.
After the initial 3 days of weeping and bashing my head on the floor in grief, I figured it was time to try and come to terms with his departure.
I asked a friend if there was anything I could do to ease my mind and assure me that he was okay.
He suggested visualising myself talking to him in a place personal to both of us. I wasnt able to concentrate enough and soon fell asleep.

That night I dreamed that we were in the bath together and he was washing my hair saying "im fine kiddo"
It did the trick, I felt alot more peaceful and together the next day.

The evening after his cremation I had another dream.

In this very vivid dream, I was at his parents house and we were sorting through his stuff.
The phone was ringing and neither his mum or dad seemed to be taking any notice of it.
So I figured the call was for me.
When i answered the voice said "hello kiddo"
It sounded like my boyfriend but I told myself that was impossible, so I asked the caller a few questions to try and unearth his Identity.

meQ "Where are you"
R " China"
meQ " What are you doing there, its the other side of the world"
R " ive joined a girl band, Im the lead singer"

At that point I seem to remember calling him a few names and telling him(with raised tones) how much he was missed.
Then I asked if He could come and see me.
He said that I knew he couldnt do that.
I asked if I could come and see him.
He said,
"No baby, its not your time, but I'll wait for you and any time you need me just call me."
:?
A year later his mum called me.
We hadnt been able to have a conversation up until this point as we always made each other weepy.
She asked if it was okay to come along to one of our moots and asked what I had been up to.
It had been my birthday a few days before which I then told her.

She said....now that makes sense, and that explained the message.
She had been to see a medium a few days before and the messages from her son was "tell the silly ol bugger happy birthday." (Other than kiddo that was one of his pet terms for me"
She hadnt made sense of the message before as she could not recall any birthdays amongst her friends and family during October.

Thats one hell of a boyfriend that remembers your birthday even after his death....
:(

Hi, just thought i'd post this as I was discussing this with a friend who has a similar experience, and wondered if anyone else had experienced it.

This happened around 10 years ago. It was early morning, just before waking, when I had a strange-feeling 'dream'. I say it felt 'strange' as it just didn't have the feel of a regular dream - very hard to describe.

I was dreaming that I was sat in my living room and was being visited by all my relatives who have 'passed over'. It felt strange as I was sat with my grandma, great aunt and great uncle, and my 2 dogs, and nobody was talking, we were all just sat there. A moment just before I was due to wake up, everybody else stood up and walked out of the room.

My friend's experience involves meeting her grandfather on the South Bank in London. She says in the dream they hardly spoke and at the end of the dream as he's about to leave, he gives her a hug.(she adds they're not a very 'huggy' family)

Has anyone else had this sort of dream experience about dead relatives or friends? It would be interesting to find out.

Workmate of mine, years ago, told me how he dreamed that he was having lunch with all his dead rellies. At first he said the meal was normal, then he started to realise that everyone there was dead - his Gran, his father, his brother, some others who'd been gone a very long time and a couple he hardly remembered. :shock:

He woke up very suddenly, feeling shocked: it had been a vivid dream.
No harm came from it though and he's still going strong as far as I know. ;)

As a child I had a recurring dream every couple of days for about three years. It involved me walking across the local park to the main road that runs alongside it. On the opposite side of the road was a bunch of people I didn't know, with one or two of my dearly departed interspersed between them. The folks were calling me to cross the road, but the traffic was too busy.

Funny thing is, and this has happened on about half a dozen occaisions, I seem to meet in real life the people from my dream. When I meet one of them for the first time, I have a flashback, and I can position them in the group straight away, y'kno, left of Auntie Mable, or second in the bus stop queue type of positioning.

I'm sure I just dreamt some generic person types, like red head or pear shaped and then when I really meet someone like that I just unconsciously connect them to my dream, but then again, I'm also really certain it's really them in my dream!

The poet Michael Rosen, who sadly lost his son Eddie to meningitis some years ago, says that he sometimes has 'beautiful dreams' about him.
In the dreams. Eddie chats with his dad and assures him that he's OK now.

Rosen believes this to be natural and expects everyone to experience it a certain time after a bereavement. :?

escargot1 said:
Rosen believes this to be natural and expects everyone to experience it a certain time after a bereavement. :?

Funny you should say that, my dreams started shortly after I had lost my mum, can't remember exactly how long, I was quite young at the time. I never put the two things together befor as I never saw my dreams as being part of a bereavement process, even when I've thought about them as an adult.

I feel a little dense now :oops: , especially as I've previously had a job working with kids that have suffered bereavement! I jus WANT to be psycic, usually on Wednesdays and Saturdays :lol:

I often have dreams that one or more of my dead relatives are back amongst us for some reason and carrying on as normal.

In the dream it always turns out that either the death was "mistaken" somehow (they never really died - it was just some sort of mix-up) or that they've simply come back - not quite as a spirit, as such, but fully corporeal and both they and us know they were recently dead but have rejoined us somehow.

Odd. Not sure if these dreams comfort or sadden me - or a little of both ...

Psychologists believe that there's a lag between our rational and emotional acceptance of a loved one's death.

So even though you know someone's gone, a little part of your mind, the bit of us that loved them, won't let them go.

Or else they're really popping back to see us in our sleep. ;)

This last belief goes very deep in many cultures. We have it, of course - remember Cole's advice in The Sixth Sense? ;)

It's normal for dreams to incorporate important people in your life, like parents and siblings, even before they've died. The fact that they still 'appear' after their deaths may be nothing more than a continuation of this process, as your mind continually resorts and shuffles your memories.

My parents still pop up in my dreams from time to time, although both have now passed on. My ex-wife too, who passed on even before my mother.

I don't recall dreaming of any other rellies, although I may have.

escargot1 said:
Psychologists believe that there's a lag between our rational and emotional acceptance of a loved one's death.

So even though you know someone's gone, a little part of your mind, the bit of us that loved them, won't let them go.

Or else they're really popping back to see us in our sleep. ;)

Either way, it's fine with me. I lost my Dad a couple of years ago. (It was time, if not a bit past... :( ) Almost a year after the fact, I had a dream where I met him and talked and laughed with him for a while. He had in real life been losing his grip on the world around him for a few years, but in the dream he was the same sharp and witty old guy I had known and loved for so long. We had an absolutely hilarious time together, just laughing. (I think we were laughing at my then-current life predicaments.... :) ) I can clearly relate to the mind's needing to reassure itself.

Interesting topic> I have had two such dreams; one of my Nan, of whom I was very fond, and the other was of my sister.

The dream of my sister didn't make much sense, to be honest; I came across her wrapping presents in the hallway. "But you hate wrapping presents," I protested.
"I know," she said, "But I don't mind when it's for the kids." I think my brain just conjured that one up.

The other one was a bit more "spiritual". I was walking, as I had many times, along the prom at Brighton with my Nan. During the latter years of her life she had not been in the rude health she'd mostly enjoyed in life, and got tired easily. This had proved to be the beginning of cancer, of which she eventually died - relatively young, at the age of 68.
Turning to her, I said, "Nan, we should stop now. You'll get tired."
Smiling, she said "Oh, that's all right. It doesn't hurt any more."
I'll never forget that one.

My Grandad died a few years ago. My Nana is still alive. However, I had a dream in which my Grandad was alive, but my Nana was the one who had died. In the dream, I was in their house and worried that Grandad might not be looking after himself properly without Nana there. I went into the kitchen and looked into the cupboards, finding lots of tupperware containers holding oversized loaves of brown bread. There was far too much of it and it was all there was. Just huge loaves of brown bread. There was plenty to eat but it was all brown bread.

It wasn't until I was describing my dream to Hubby that it suddenly became clear (with a force that brought tears to my eyes) that the dream was telling me that it was Grandad who was 'brown bread'! :cry:

escargot1 said:

This is very much how I view the two dreams I had of my mother after she died.

In the first, not long after the funeral, my two half-siblings, my mother and I were all together in her house and there was a lot of confusion, like everyone was very busy, but then my mother and I sat at a non-existant kitchen table and she was just smiling, and I became slightly lucid and said to her 'you're dead, so either you're a ghost or this is a dream, and I've never seen a ghost, but I've had lots of dreams, so I reckon it's a dream' and my mum smiled even wider and sort of exuded a big wave of the unconditional love I frankly hadn't felt I'd had from her in life.

It was definitely a sort of reconcilliation dream, both of the fact that she'd died, and of my perception of our relationship.

In the second dream a few weeks later my mum was freaking out and scared and pitiful and complaining about something and I ended up screaming in her face, I remember the spittle flying out of my mouth as I shrieked "look, mum, just shut up and go away, it's because you're dead. Do you hear me? YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD!!"

I had no lucidity in that dream and I wish I could say I'd coaxed her to 'go into the light' or comforted her or something, but that's how it went.

Never dreamed of her again. I guess the bit of me that hadn't yet accepted it got the message.

My Dad Died nearly 2 years ago after a very short illness and it all seemed very sudden. He was diagnosed with leukaemia and passed away within 2 months.
Before that he was very fit and healthy ever since I remember.
Soon after his death I had the 'it's been a mix up' dream in which it turned out he was not even ill, let alone dead - that was upsetting as when I woke up it was as if he had died all over again.
More latterly I have occasional dreams in which Dad is there, and I vaguely know he died but am happy to spend some time with him.
I have found some of the other comments here comforting - thank you.

We have whole threads on the subject of 'messages from Beyond' somewhere abouts, or used to have, but I can't find them now. :(

I wasn't going to go here but here goes....

My father was an utter b*st*rd. He was a physical and emotional bully yet a coward to anyone outside the family. He died in 1999, exactly ten years to the day after I left home.

I only had one dream of him since he died: he was in the front garden, buried up to his neck in the turf. There were fires around his head and he was ranting utter gibberish. It wasn't even English, it was some language I didn't know.

In my dream I picked up a spade and beat him to death.

You did ask!

I have dreams as often as once a week in which one or the other of two long-dead girlfriends (one died in 1987, the other in 2001) are alive again, both amused and surprised that I thought them dead.

"I wondered for years what had happened to YOU."

After I learned that a friend, Paul, had died suddenly some years ago, I dreamed that I bumped into him on the fields, both walking our dogs as we'd normally have done.

I said, 'What're you doing here? You're dead! I've seen your grave!'
Paul laughed and shook his head. 'Nah, that's just a story Mo (his girlfriend) is putting round!'

I tried to argue, but as he wasn't having any of it I shrugged and gave up and we just strolled and chatted as usual.

The dream was very vivid and has stayed with me. Another friend later reminded me that Paul and I had once promised that the first to die would visit the other.
:shock:

Since then, several people very close and beloved to me have died and I've had dreams of them, but nothing as comforting or downright funny as the one of Paul.

I have had a few dreams of my dead father, in some he was ill and wheelchair-bound, as he was in the last months before his death, in others he was able-bodied and healthy.

I had two particularly memorable dreams; in the first, my dad was in his wheelchair, and kept angrily repeating the name of a family friend and saying "he said he would come". It turned out that the family friend in question had promised to help my mother with her finances after my father's death, and hadn't.

In the second dream, my father simply hugged me and told me that he loved me. I think that was just what I subconsciously wanted at the time.

When my mother died I anticipated dreaming of her as I had done when other relatives passed away, but nothing, no dreams of her at all. She had been an emotional bully to me all my life and her last few years saw her mental health deteriorate as she had a series of strokes, you could say that her death came as a relief.

I kept dreaming of my father, who had died over ten years previously and in these dreams he would ask me where my mother was as he could not find her. Then I had a dream of walking along our main street by the bus station. I saw my father on the other side of the road and crossed to talk to him. My mother was standing next to him but she looked vacant and did not speak, she just stood woodenly staring into space. My father told me they were waiting for a coach that would take my mother somewhere she could be repaired. He explained that she had become fragmented and that he had not been able to gather all of her parts back and so she needed to go to a place where she could become whole again.

I waited with them until a pastel coloured coach in a retro style with a lot of chrome, pulled up alongside us and my father helped my mother in and sat her down. There were other people on the coach all looking as vacant as my mother. My father rejoined me and told me that it wouldbe at least 5 years before my mother could return. I woke up at this point and felt that the dream somehow made sense with regard to my mothers state.

I have kept having ocasional dreams where I meet dead relatives and it is only recently that my mother has appeared in them. She is still vey quiet and distant, not at all like her, and other deceased relatives keep a close watch on her as they would if she was ill. My great-aunt (passed away over 15 years ago) reassures me that my mother had not been right from the start and that it will be years for her to recover.

These dreams used to bother me but now they just leave me with a sense of melancholy.

I've not personally had any dreams of note but my mother did. she had a tough childhood and early adulthood and didn't get on with her mother but her grandmother always supported her and stuch up for her.
After my great grandmother died my mother started dreaming about her- she would be having a normal dream like you do when my GG mother would suddenly appear, carrying her handbag, but getting more and more decayed each dream. In the end my mother got fed up and told her she was dead and should stop appearing in her dreams all the time. Then my mother dreamed she got up and looked down the stairs and saw my GG mother standing at the bottom, whole and unrotted and surrounded by light and had a great sense of wellbeing. She never dreamed about her again until fairly recently, I believe. I will have to ask her.
ETA Just remembered 'Nanny' appears in my mother's dreams when a new family member is born.

For reasons far too complex to explain, I've not had any contact with my daughter since before Xmas.

But today she emailed me, saying "..just wanted to get in touch as i dreamed about you and grandma and grandpa last night."

Don't know if she means my parents, however (her maternal Grandmother is still alive).

This is the first time i've posted anything on this site but i've nosed for years. I have dreams all the time still where my mum visits me. One of the most upsetting was the dreaming that my dad was the one who died. I asked my mum what she was doing here as i'd been to her funeral and she told me it had been my dads i'd been to not hers. I've also had several dreams where i've been at my auntys old bungelow and it's haunted, i've woke up in a sweat..weirdly i'm so used to these sort if dreams i don't find them that unusual. Until you start chatting to other people about them anyway lol :shock:

This account may have been written up here before but it fits the thread title. My uncle died in 1978 quite young, slightly younger than I am now in fact. Although he'd lived with his own family across the road from us all my life (he was my mum's younger brother) I wouldn't describe us as particularly close, although the two families were in and out of each others houses all the time. No personal animosity, just that I was a teenager and not very religious, whereas he attended church every week and was an older chap. It was sad for the family when he died but I can't say I was grief sticken or traumatised - too busy and young to dwell on the loss.

Later that year, or early the following year I was living in halls of residence in London and had a remarkable dream, although the word dream barely does it justice. My uncle showed me round this visionary city to various things that seemed incredibly important at the time although I can barely remember them now. The nearest comparison is like a place out of William Blake or John Bunyan, with reality and myth and death and life - and even city and countryside - overlapping.
The overriding feeling was one of a profound sense of understanding, a kind of 'so that's what it's all about' and 'of course!', a eureka moment that I desperately tried to recall as I awoke and left me feeling bereft for the knowledge. He and others there assured me it wasn't my time. In retrospect it reads like a NDE but it was strange and un-dreamlike enough for me to remember to this day, without recalling any of the revelatory parts except the memory of them.

If I had any idea of a heaven or afterlife before it wouldn't have been anything like the dream or vision I was given. There was also a sense, very difficult to describe, that it linked to other incidents earlier in my life I'd forgotten.

Back