• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreaming Of The Dead

Analysing it the presence of another person with his name and a certain set of expected routines..coming down the stairs, checking the front door is locked or not...would clearly have influenced the dream. And there may be a precognitive element too..my guest was already awake and i heard the kettle boiling in the kitchen, so walked in expecting to find him standing there, but he wasn't. The reverse of the dream scenario.

But still the sense of shock and acknowledgement that my brother had returned from unreturnable place struck me. The dead feature in my dreams regularly, but they're just stock characters in the plot, their being dead is never recognised or commented on. So this felt different.

This morning it happened again! A second dream involving an emotional response to the unexpected appearance of my brother...with hard to disentangle elements of obvious triggers for the dream, existing knowledge and possibly a precognitive element.

I'll leave the preceding details of the dream to one side and just report that i was standing in my bedroom and the door opens and i turn awkwardly to see my brother there, as he looked in later life..he's apologising for the delay in handing me a birthday card (probable trigger: i hadn't been consciously thinking about it but im attending someone's 40th birthday party this evening). The card is stuffed with bank notes, though they're unusual in being old out of circulation notes ( prior to bed id been having an internal monologue about how lately the airbnb has been inexplicably busy...and how im not even thinking or caring about making a bit more money each time. But also how its like someone up there is ensuring i do make more money). But here we get to the "something more about this dream " part of it.

As he hands it to me he says "this is yours". I sarcastically say "yeah, I know" (as in of course its mine, you've just given it to me). But its only when i look at it i realise what he meant. It becomes evident that the card is one i had given him years earlier (in the dream not in real life), and printed inside is a school photo of the pair of us side by side as children. And im deeply moved by this.

Again i can see where that motif of the childhood photo in the birthday card may have from...there's a strong likelihood of such a card being given to the birthday boy this evening. But nonetheless it was my deceased brother turning up unexpectedly after an absence, in the real world environment of my home, and triggering a for me unusual emotional response inside a dream. Twice in one week.

This morning it happened again! A second dream involving an emotional response to the unexpected appearance of my brother...with hard to disentangle elements of obvious triggers for the dream, existing knowledge and possibly a precognitive element.

I'll leave the preceding details of the dream to one side and just report that i was standing in my bedroom and the door opens and i turn awkwardly to see my brother there, as he looked in later life..he's apologising for the delay in handing me a birthday card (probable trigger: i hadn't been consciously thinking about it but im attending someone's 40th birthday party this evening). The card is stuffed with bank notes, though they're unusual in being old out of circulation notes ( prior to bed id been having an internal monologue about how lately the airbnb has been inexplicably busy...and how im not even thinking or caring about making a bit more money each time. But also how its like someone up there is ensuring i do make more money). But here we get to the "something more about this dream " part of it.

As he hands it to me he says "this is yours". I sarcastically say "yeah, I know" (as in of course its mine, you've just given it to me). But its only when i look at it i realise what he meant. It becomes evident that the card is one i had given him years earlier (in the dream not in real life), and printed inside is a school photo of the pair of us side by side as children. And im deeply moved by this.

Again i can see where that motif of the childhood photo in the birthday card may have from...there's a strong likelihood of such a card being given to the birthday boy this evening. But nonetheless it was my deceased brother turning up unexpectedly after an absence, in the real world environment of my home, and triggering a for me unusual emotional response inside a dream. Twice in one week.
It seems that he's around. Even if 'only' in your subconscious. And there is some comfort in knowing that.

I went to my friend's grave, last week. Not a planned visit, just we were going past that village anyway and I thought I'd go and say 'hello' on the way back home.

By the time we came back past it was pouring down and everywhere was shut and I had no flowers, nothing to leave her. I know she no longer cares, but it makes me feel better to leave an offering kind of thing. Then I put my hand in my pocket and realised the previous week, we'd been at the seaside and randomly beachcombing. I'd picked up some bits of blue and white pottery that looked to be 18thC or early 19thC and a piece of clay pipe. She'd done living history of that period with us. So I put the pieces of slipware and pipe slightly under her stone... And smiled to myself, thinking of her with the (complete) items in the afterworld (not that I really believe there is one, but she did...)

Gifts and offerings are a thing, eh? Both ways. I recognise that leaving something makes no difference to her where she is but it makes me feel better, as dreaming of her would.

By the time we came back past it was pouring down and everywhere was shut and I had no flowers, nothing to leave her. I know she no longer cares, but it makes me feel better to leave an offering kind of thing.

Are you sure she wouldn't care? Here's something that happened to me some years ago, that I've just searched the forum for just to show to you!

I had a friend called Phil. He loved dogs and always fussed my two, especially when we met when out walking our dogs over the fields.

When Phil died suddenly I walked the dogs down to the cemetery to find his grave. I had dog biscuits in my pockets and left some on it for the squirrels. (Hadn't brought anything else so the biscuits had to do! He'd loved all animals and would have approved of my impulsive gift for the squirrels.)

Three years later I was walking the dogs on a field past the cemetery. They suddenly ran to the side of the field opposite Phil's grave and stood still, waiting expectantly.

I put on their leads and let them take me across the road and to my surprise, straight through the far gate of the cemetery (where they'd never been).
They then doubled back and dragged me to Phil's grave (again, approaching from an unfamiliar direction) where they stopped and waited.

While I was scratching my head in bafflement, a squirrel suddenly appeared and both dogs ran off after it. I felt sure that the whole episode was down to Phil, who'd have laughed his head off at me chasing my squirrel-mad mutts across the graves.

Thanks for re-posting that - it's lovely, Snail.

I think I posted before that I planted a rosemary on her grave last year but it was eaten by bunnies (friend would have loved that).

Several years before she died, I got her to give me a lift to an appointment. Friend was famously late for everything. Anyway, we had to be in Halifax by 11 or something and we were still in York at quarter to, kind of thing. And I had just torn her away from the place she'd got distracted to, when she bumped into someone else she knew, and of course, a lengthy conversation ensued, as I was getting more and more antsy about missing my appointment - which I obviously had by now, but maybe arriving so damned late the person wouldn't see me at all... (Work thing, friend rode shot-gun. She was remarkably charming and would distract people so I could get on with stuff - so despite her timekeeping I loved having her there). Anyway... she starts talking to this man she bumped into about rosemary. "Rosemary for remembrance" etc etc. And then about the varieties of. And then about cuttings of. And I thought she'd never stop.

It only occurred to me later, she was of course doing that for me. She wanted me to know she wanted someone to plant rosemary (she's buried in one of those woodland burial sites - each grave has a tree. She chose a rowan, long before she died - it's there now).

I got a couple of rosemaries now and am growing them to critical mass, before I take and plant one. Her partner spotted the chewed up rosemary and knew it was me that took it. If he spots the 18thC pot shards he'll also know who that was.

And now you say it, maybe she does know. Time before last, a woman who had just that morning buried her teenage son on the same site, spotted me at friend's grave and came up to chat. She was tending her son's grave when she saw me at friend's and came over to talk because she knew I must have been a friend as well. Her son had wanted to be buried where our friend was. Incredibly sad. But just making that connection with someone else who knew my friend - like she meant me to be there when this lady was there alone, obviously heartbroken.

I think she always knew I'd be a frequent visitor to where she is. Hence the rosemary conversation (which we continued on our way to my thing which of course, only went well because she was with me). There are always flowers there. I think lots of her old friends go there and she'd love to have known that. Her partner goes up there with her dogs.

some very touching and sad stories, thank you all for sharing your experiences. I dreamed about my mum again last night, and like previous posters, there was this sense that she had 'come back' from somewhere and would have to return. I've had a really tough time lately and I feel she's keeping an eye on me! The dream that I posted upthread (about being dead myself) was one I had after I had been very low and considered taking all the tablets so I wouldn't have to feel this way anymore. It felt like the dream was a warning, kind of this is what will happen if you do that to yourself, and there's no coming back from there. I have since felt that life is a gift and I should live it as well as I can.

some very touching and sad stories, thank you all for sharing your experiences. I dreamed about my mum again last night, and like previous posters, there was this sense that she had 'come back' from somewhere and would have to return. I've had a really tough time lately and I feel she's keeping an eye on me! The dream that I posted upthread (about being dead myself) was one I had after I had been very low and considered taking all the tablets so I wouldn't have to feel this way anymore. It felt like the dream was a warning, kind of this is what will happen if you do that to yourself, and there's no coming back from there. I have since felt that life is a gift and I should live it as well as I can.
It's very tough when you're missing someone. Sometimes when I dream of someone who is dead, it makes me happy that I can talk to him/her

Last night I dreamed of my mum again, only this time she was suffering from the dementia that eventually overcame her. We were in a shop and I'd gone with my brother and some others (including a small child in a buggy) to buy her a piece of jewellery. I whispered to the assistant that I wanted a pendant (although, in my mind, I'd gone in to buy a brooch), and it should be a shiny cross with red stones on it. I then bent to pat a little daschund that someone had brought into the shop, in a slighly grubby coat, and pretended to growl at my mum, who was scared and went to hide. I also noticed that she seemed very thin - but that might have been me remembering how thin my dad got before he died (no sign of him in the dream).

I thought it was interesting that this was the first time I've dreamed of her as she 'really' was in the years before she died, rather than completely well. Also interesting that the cross with red stones that I was going to buy her, is a piece of jewellery that I inherited after her death, and have passed on to one of my daughters, I think. Although I might still have it here. I shall turn it out and wear it today, if I have!

True. And also, when I've lost loved ones, I've often felt like "Well, now I will live for us both/all, then." So it heightens being alive - and I try and enjoy things 'for them', too. I was knocked for six when my friend died - but one strange and positive side-effect has been that I always found public speaking (which I have to do maybe once every few weeks) as really tough and nerve-wracking. But since she died, I just can't be bothered to be nervous. I decided not to be nervous. I realised she'd give anything to still be here, with her kids and her friends and she'll never be here again but I still am, so why let myself get in the way of me doing the things I need to do? I just think of her before I speak and feel totally like I can do it. (And I've got a lot of repeat bookings of people who have seen me speak since she died, so it's paying off!)

Live for them as well as yourself and take every day and enjoy it, is the thing I realised. I have lost a lot of close people - mainly relatives and older than me - right since I was a kid, but I only fully realised this when a friend and contemporary died.

Been having vivid dreams lately and forgot to post this because it's not hugely significant. But last week I had this dream where I can't remember the 'storyline' of it or what was actually going on, but all I remember is I was sat at a table with my family and my late, beloved dog (the dog that was 'The One' for me of all the dogs I've had, much as I love current dog) was sat on my knee and I was hugging her and felt so happy. I don't think it was a lucid dream. I didn't know she was dead, in the dream.

Just that, really. I don't think for a minute it was anything supernatural/paranormal. Just a dream. Maybe we'd been talking about her again - we do often. But it's rare for me to have a dream like that and when I woke, I felt so comforted, that I'd really been with her, even if for just 5 minutes.

Been having vivid dreams lately and forgot to post this because it's not hugely significant. But last week I had this dream where I can't remember the 'storyline' of it or what was actually going on, but all I remember is I was sat at a table with my family and my late, beloved dog (the dog that was 'The One' for me of all the dogs I've had, much as I love current dog) was sat on my knee and I was hugging her and felt so happy. I don't think it was a lucid dream. I didn't know she was dead, in the dream.

Just that, really. I don't think for a minute it was anything supernatural/paranormal. Just a dream. Maybe we'd been talking about her again - we do often. But it's rare for me to have a dream like that and when I woke, I felt so comforted, that I'd really been with her, even if for just 5 minutes.
May i direct the honorable member to this thread i posted a while back...

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/about-the-dog.63139/

Usually, a day or so after I hear a friend dies I dream about them.

I heard my Mum's old boyfriend's brother died. That night I had a dream that it was summer, the sun was bright, the wind was cool. I was walking to the bus stop that was a little further away from my house. I heard him yell, "Hey girl!" like he always did when he was happy to see me. He stopped next to me on his bike and I stopped, too, and he told me many things that I didn't understand in English but could somehow feel their meaning. That was when it hit me. I said, "But Tom... Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

He replied with, "Yes. Yes, I am. And I've never been happier!"

He told me he was happy he didn't have to worry about financing his alcoholism and that he knew his son would make him proud. Said to keep my chin up and that he was glad to see me again.

Then I had another friend I heard died. I went to his wake at a church I used to attend. His wife died maybe a week or so beforehand in a nursing home. A couple nights later I dreamed that I was sitting with him, his wife, and a Catholic Priest at a picnic table having lunch in the middle of downtown, with tall buildings surrounding us. We were on a patch of a park. He had said a lot of things to me that I don't remember - but definitely felt, as I did with the prior dream.

When reality set in, I said, "But Tom..." His name was Tom, too, "...Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

"Yes. Yes, I am. And I've never been happier."

A few years later my Mum's old boyfriend, whom is the brother of the first Tom, died suddenly. I had a dream about him and I remember crying and hugging him tight, my face in his chest. "I miss you, man."

He replied, hugging me back, "Yes. Yes, I know."

Then the following Thursday my Mama(grandmother) died. I didn't have any dreams about her for a good few weeks. I do remember, though, growing up with her telling me that when Grandma Mary(who was full blooded Cherokee) died, she could feel the bed go down a bit as if she were sitting there, and rub her leg. After Mama died every now and then I feel my bed depress, a heavy, loving warmth come over me, her scent in the air, and I feel her rub my leg. I figure if I were to have children and grandchildren, when I pass I'll do the same for them.

The dreams I've had about Mama were good. She always gives me straight-forward advice. There was one dream I was in her apartment over there(she called it her Mansion of Rest), and she was taping balloons and streamers on the walls. I asked her what was going on. She said, "Your birthday is coming up and we're going to celebrate!"

Before all of this, my old bestie's mother died. I've had a few dreams about her, too. On the other side, she works at a diner with other servers. People who sit there receive food and drink until they figure out they're dead. Once they figure it out, the server talks with them and they typically decide to move on. One night I was with her, she said, "Honey, I'd love to spend eternity with you but this just isn't your time. It's time for you to go back."

I told my online friend about the diner. He told me after his brother died of cancer he saw him there at the diner wearing white and having white, glistening wings of an angel. Then his Mom died and he saw her there. His Dad died recently but there haven't been any reports.

What really gets me about this last story is that he described my old bestie's mother's appearance to a T without any description of her given on my end.

So, yeah, those are my adventures in in the afterlife in my dreams.

I heard my Mum's old boyfriend's brother died. That night I had a dream that it was summer, the sun was bright, the wind was cool. I was walking to the bus stop that was a little further away from my house. I heard him yell, "Hey girl!" like he always did when he was happy to see me. He stopped next to me on his bike and I stopped, too, and he told me many things that I didn't understand in English but could somehow feel their meaning. That was when it hit me. I said, "But Tom... Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

He told me he was happy he didn't have to worry about financing his alcoholism and that he knew his son would make him proud. Said to keep my chin up and that he was glad to see me again.

Then I had another friend I heard died. I went to his wake at a church I used to attend. His wife died maybe a week or so beforehand in a nursing home. A couple nights later I dreamed that I was sitting with him, his wife, and a Catholic Priest at a picnic table having lunch in the middle of downtown, with tall buildings surrounding us. We were on a patch of a park. He had said a lot of things to me that I don't remember - but definitely felt, as I did with the prior dream.

When reality set in, I said, "But Tom..." His name was Tom, too, "...Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

A few years later my Mum's old boyfriend, whom is the brother of the first Tom, died suddenly. I had a dream about him and I remember crying and hugging him tight, my face in his chest. "I miss you, man."

Then the following Thursday my Mama(grandmother) died. I didn't have any dreams about her for a good few weeks. I do remember, though, growing up with her telling me that when Grandma Mary(who was full blooded Cherokee) died, she could feel the bed go down a bit as if she were sitting there, and rub her leg. After Mama died every now and then I feel my bed depress, a heavy, loving warmth come over me, her scent in the air, and I feel her rub my leg. I figure if I were to have children and grandchildren, when I pass I'll do the same for them.

The dreams I've had about Mama were good. She always gives me straight-forward advice. There was one dream I was in her apartment over there(she called it her Mansion of Rest), and she was taping balloons and streamers on the walls. I asked her what was going on. She said, "Your birthday is coming up and we're going to celebrate!"

Before all of this, my old bestie's mother died. I've had a few dreams about her, too. On the other side, she works at a diner with other servers. People who sit there receive food and drink until they figure out they're dead. Once they figure it out, the server talks with them and they typically decide to move on. One night I was with her, she said, "Honey, I'd love to spend eternity with you but this just isn't your time. It's time for you to go back."

I told my online friend about the diner. He told me after his brother died of cancer he saw him there at the diner wearing white and having white, glistening wings of an angel. Then his Mom died and he saw her there. His Dad died recently but there haven't been any reports.

What really gets me about this last story is that he described my old bestie's mother's appearance to a T without any description of her given on my end.

It must be great to get reassurance from the deceased in your dreams, particularly those who have been close to you. Whilst I occasionally dream of people who have died, the dreams are always in a normal day to day setting.

It must be great to get reassurance from the deceased in your dreams, particularly those who have been close to you. Whilst I occasionally dream of people who have died, the dreams are always in a normal day to day setting.

I don't normally record my dreams and instead use my journal for actual events, ideas and musings. I did however feel compelled to make a note of this one, copied verbatim...

Friday 1st March 2019
Last night I had a dream in which my grandparents were still alive. It was dark and the lights were on at their house and I just knew I had to hurry to see them. As I approached, the dogs came out barking as they would do with any visitor, friend or foe. I took each by the collar and led them around the house looking for a way in but as often happens in dreams, the front door was not obviously apparent.

After a bit of frantic running about I finally made it in through the back door and entered the living room to a familiar scene - Mother, Grandmother and Grandfather all there, me standing in the doorway holding a dog in each hand.
Grandmother* (on the couch next to the fire, as always) - "We thought you weren't going to bother coming."
Me - "How could I NOT come?"

End.
It was lovely to see and speak to them again but it did make me feel incredibly sad for most of the day at work.

*In the dream and journal I use her first name as I always did in life.

Had a rather distressing dream last night in which I was looking for my mother and father, eventually I found them at my auntie's house. My mother was crying in my father's arms and I launched a bitter diatribe at her accusing her of "ruining this family" I was in tears myself at this point and I crashed out of the house and walked away in tears.

Beautiful accounts there, thank you, and welcome.

After a friend of mine died I dreamed of him and like you, accused him of being dead. He strenuously denied this and accused his girlfriend of spreading stories about him.

When my father died I dreamed he was at the funeral directors' while the family were present organising his send-off, which I told him seemed inappropriate. He responded by telling me he was 'all changed now', proving it by exhibiting his Action Man-like apparently sexless torso.

Comforting but silly.

Last edited:
Had a rather distressing dream last night in which I was looking for my mother and father, eventually I found them at my auntie's house. My mother was crying in my father's arms and I launched a bitter diatribe at her accusing her of "ruining this family" I was in tears myself at this point and I crashed out of the house and walked away in tears.
Wishing you peace and healing! :oldm:

Beautiful accounts there, thank you, and welcome.

After a friend of mine died I dreamed of him and like you, accused him of being dead. He strenuously denied this and accused his girlfriend of spreading stories about him.

When my father died I dreamed he was at the funeral directors' while the family were present organising his send-off, which I told him seemed inappropriate. He responded by telling me he was 'all changed now', proving it by exhibiting his Action Man-like apparently sexless torso.

Comforting but silly.

Similarly, I had a dream about Mama where I told her she was dead and she told me she wasn't dead. In fact, she was more alive now than ever. She told me to tell the doctor 'thank you' and some other stuff... Said stuff I can't remember now. I think she's aware that she's crossed over but she would never, ever want to label herself as 'dead' simply because she still exists.

We Do Not Die - Velvet Hammer

I thought the dreams about my deceased dad had stopped - he died eleven years ago, I'm fully reconciled to this and, although I miss him, I know he was suffering badly.

But last night I dreamed I was sitting beside him as he corrected my homework (he used to try his best to help me with my maths homework when I was at school, an alarming number of years ago, but I never really 'got' it). He was quite stoney faced and unsmiling, which was not like him. As soon as I realised what was going on, I said out loud 'Before we go any further, I have to say this, that I love you and I miss you' and kissed him on the cheek. I absolutely knew that he was dead, but somehow didn't quite become lucid in the dream. Once that was out of the way, I carried on listening to him correct my homework. He barely acknowledged me, but I still felt that I'd 'achieved' something.

Very odd. I bought my brother a birthday present which was to do with our father's profession, so maybe that's put him in the forefront of my mind, but it seemed that the dream was simply to reiterate that he was dead - although it was nice to be able to tell him again that I missed him.

Very odd. I bought my brother a birthday present which was to do with our father's profession, so maybe that's put him in the forefront of my mind, but it seemed that the dream was simply to reiterate that he was dead - although it was nice to be able to tell him again that I missed him.

Sounds spot-on to me.

The last couple of weeks I've had dreams of people who have died. I'm sure that it's because my dad died this April, though deaths in the family don't really bother me. The deaths have been expected and I know that I've done the best that I can for them. It's the seventh year that my hubby has been gone.

In these dreams, I just see the person doing regular things, but it bothers me that others in the dream don't seem to realize they're dead. So I call them out and say "You're dead". Odd.

In these dreams, I just see the person doing regular things, but it bothers me that others in the dream don't seem to realize they're dead. So I call them out and say "You're dead". Odd.

I've had that! In one dream I was arguing quite vigorously with a deceased friend who was adamant that he was alive.
In another dream my then very recently deceased father turned up at the undertaker's while the rest of us were organising his funeral. I told him off but he didn't care.

I wonder if sometimes it's just our brain checking in that we realise these people are still dead.

There are still moments when I do that kind of 'twitch' of 'must phone dad and let him know I saw....' although they are much more infrequent after eleven years, and, as the dreams of him are also less frequent, maybe there is a correlation. Because I'd been thinking of him when buying my brother's birthday present, perhaps my brain wanted to make sure that I knew he was still dead?

I wonder if sometimes it's just our brain checking in that we realise these people are still dead.

There are still moments when I do that kind of 'twitch' of 'must phone dad and let him know I saw....' although they are much more infrequent after eleven years, and, as the dreams of him are also less frequent, maybe there is a correlation. Because I'd been thinking of him when buying my brother's birthday present, perhaps my brain wanted to make sure that I knew he was still dead?

Sounds spot-on to me. It's your subconscious trying to take care of you.

Back