• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams and Reality and 9/11

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
One of the "givens" of the Paranormal is that sleep at least seems to be closer to the psychic world than the waking state and that some dreams appear to offer limited peeks into the future and/or the greater world beyond our bedroom walls. Now exactly how much truth there is in the above sentence is still up for grabs, but surely only the Ultra-Materialist would dogmatically insist that it contains absolutely no truth at all.

But if sleep and dreams are to any extent psychic, why don't sleepers dream of great disasters while they are occurring?

Surely if there is anything which can even be remotely described as a "psychic ether" the attacks of 9/11 would have sent shock waves through it.

And one would at least expect that that would have some effect on the dreams of people asleep at the time.

Yet I've never encountered a single example of a dream experienced by a late sleeper on the morning of 9/11 which could in any way be related to the tragic events of that day.

And, yes, I've researched this and asked.

I myself had been on the Internet until an hour of so before the attacks and thus slept peacefully through them all.

I was sleeping late on 9/11, after having stayed up all night working on a rush project. On that occasion something happened (with me) that had previously occurred only in relation to close friends and family...

Some background ... On multiple rare occasions I've spontaneously awakened at the same time (sometimes demonstrably at the moment) as some major event occurring to someone close to me (but not close at hand). This usually involves a death or significant tragedy. This occurs while I'm asleep, and at a time too early for me to wake up 'naturally' (either in terms of my usual 1.5 hour cycles or my 6 hour overall 'norm'). In these instances I suddenly come fully awake (i.e., not just 'bob to the surface') to a degree that's atypically 'final' / 'clear' for normal morning awakening.

For example ... In late 1998 I was up into the wee hours sitting with my late father in his hospice room. The family was on 'death watch', and we expected the end within days. Exhausted, I went away to get some sleep. After only about 2.5 hours, I came fully awake in that manner that I'd come to know meant something had just happened. I got up, dressed, fixed a cup of coffee, and opened the door just as my aunt's raised fist was poised to knock. I said, "It's over, right?", and she replied, "Yes - we just got the call - he died about 15 minutes ago." The time of death (officially recorded TOD) correlated exactly with the time I'd awakened.

On 9/11, I'd been up (working) until circa 0500 EDT, then fell over exhausted. I suddenly awoke 'in that particular way', knew something had happened, and immediately got up. It was a quarter of nine in the morning (i.e., 0845 - the time that the first plane hit). I flipped on the radio, heard the first news reports, then turned on the TV. One look and I was on the phone. I was explaining how the crash was no accident to my supervisor (both of us watching the TV coverage) when the second plane hit at 0903.

Enola Gaia, thanks so very much for sharing this.

If there are other cases of individuals dreaming of or at least sensing tragedies as they are unfolding in remote locations we would seem to be dealing with a previously-unrecorded Phenomenon.

Hi OTR,

Since I read "An Experiement with Time" by J.W.Dunne as a child, I have kept a record of my dreams. I do not remember dreams very often - a total of just 20 precognitive dreams in my lifetime and I'm in my fifties. However I am completely satisfied that it is possible to accurately see future events (as much as 15 years in advance), although mostly the dreams refer to things which will happen a day or two in the future. My dreams are not about events of world importance (like those of David Mandell - who has been discussed on another thread in this forum) but of humdrum daily events.

HOWEVER I did once have a dream about a world-important event which took place (as near as I can tell) at exactly the time it happened - and this was the death of Pope John Paul I.
In many ways this was a strange dream:
1) It was in colour, (I usually dream in black and white).
2) It was "abstract". Most of my dreams are about "real" things and events but in this dream I was plunged into a landscape of jagged colours and shapes like some modernistic painting.
3) Why Pope John Paul I? I was brought up a Catholic but I am luke-warm to the point of being non-practising.

Anyway, this meets all your criteria, so I for one am satisfied the phenomenon exists.

I wrote about having dreamed about Chernobyl while it was occurring. Actually I can't "foresee" anything but all my "psychic" dreaming happens whilst something is going on. However didn't dream anything during 9/11 as I was at work at the time.

Dingo667 said:
However didn't dream anything during 9/11 as I was at work at the time.

Oh, THAT old excuse. <ggggg> I used to do some of my best dreaming at work, which probably explains why I'm now retired.

Thanks, Dingo. And, Plusk, I've recently started dreaming in color for the first time in my life.

OldTimeRadio said:
Surely if there is anything which can even be remotely described as a "psychic ether" the attacks of 9/11 would have sent shock waves through it.

Why?? This woulod be true assuming that tragedy and trauma are what affect "the ether" the most, and although there is some evidence suggesting this, it is not certain. It could be another, as of yet unknown, factor that affects "the ether".

OldTimeRadio said:
And one would at least expect that that would have some effect on the dreams of people asleep at the time.

Yet I've never encountered a single example of a dream experienced by a late sleeper on the morning of 9/11 which could in any way be related to the tragic events of that day.

Maybe they all repressed the event in there subconscious upon waking because the conscious mind couldn't handle witnessing all those deaths...!?!?

Back