• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams That Have Come True

Ronnor said:
So on Saturday night just past I dreamed that I really hurt my back and was left hardly able to walk. It was a very vivid dream - I could almost actually feel the imaginary pain when I woke up and I remember what happened in the dream very clearly. Fast forward to earlier tonight when I reached for something awkwardly and ended up badly tearing a muscle in my lower back, leaving me hardly able to walk and necessitating a trip to the hospital. I've never had any history of back trouble before and I'm struggling to remember another occasion when I've dreamed about injuring myself so I'm intrigued by this bit of synchronicity.

Good post. Sorry I can't add anything to help with your discomfort.

It's ok, I'm on enough Co-codamol and industrial strength Ibuprofen to fell a mechanical bull.

A couple of years ago I dreamed about two tornado's approaching from the distance, when I woke up I saw the news on TV; lo and behold there was a double tornado wreaking havoc across somewhere in the US!

Last edited:
A few years ago a bungalow directly opposite our house was demolished and two rather large houses were in the process of being built. They were almost completed when one night I had what was probably the most vivid dream I had ever had in my life. I was in my living room at the front of the house. It was night time and the curtains over the front window were closed. I walked over to the window, opened the curtains to see the almost completed houses opposite in flames. They were blazing away with sparks shooting off into the sky. When I woke up the dream really stayed with me. I couldn't get it out of my head. So much so that when ever I glanced over at the houses across the road I would think about them in flames.
Jump to two weeks later. My brother had popped round to play a couple of games of FIFA on the playstation with me, but as the evening wore on I started to get a really bad headache. Eventually it got so bad I had to apologise and ask him to leave as I could hardly move my head without a burst of pain shooting through my skull. It was making me feel nauseous. I decided to sleep on the sofa that night rather than climb into bed. I really did feel dreadful. Funny thing was, I'm usually a bad sleeper. Even when I'm really tired it takes me ages to drop off and the slightest thing will wake me. This night I was off as soon as I laid down.
A few hours later I was woken by my brother in law who was temporarily saying with us. He told me that the houses across the road were on fire. For a second I couldn't comprehend what he was saying. I got up, opened the curtains and sure enough the houses were ablaze, firefighters all over the place. For a few seconds I wasn't shocked at all. I just remember thinking "I knew it! I knew this was going to happen!"
Then reality kicked in and all I could think of saying was "bloody hell!"
(In fact I took some footage on my old mobile phone of my view and all you can hear on it is me saying "bloody 'ell! I probably couldn't think of much else to say for a while! I was asked to upload it to YouTube for some locals to view and I think the footage is probably still up there on my old long unused account)
Odd thing was, when I was woken by my brother in law, the headache from hell I'd had earlier was completely gone.

Just dropping this here for future reference :)

I had the classic 'dreaming about a winning racehorse' dream, first thing this morning. I was reading it in a newspaper. The horse was called 'Saint Benedictus'.

You're Hattie Jacques' budgie, aren't you?

lol; I shall change my name to 'Joey' forthwith ;)

Thanks for that info, ryn :) Shame I'm not a betting person!

I have actually had one more coincidence concerning racehorses, that I don't know if I've related before. I'd gone to the library, to return 'Mother London', by Michael Moorcock. As I had a while before my bus, I was flicking through the papers. Ended up on the racing pages (I am a horse fanatic, but not a racing fan), and there was a story about a horse due to run the Grand National (which was a few days later), trained by a man called 'Gasalee'.

Now, that's quite an unusual name, and not one I'd come across before, but oddly, one of the main characters in 'Mother London' was also called 'Gasalee'. Not being a betting person, I didn't put any money on it, which was a shame, as the damn thing only went and won! Quite good odds too, I seem to remember...

Precognitive dream today during an afternoon nap, and not a good one...

The dream revolved around some people my husband knows (whom I know too, but not extremely well). There was trouble going down. One of the women had been harrassed and falsely accused of a particular, heinous crime. Her friends had gathered round her in order to defend her. The atmosphere was tense and worried and it seemed that others would be dragged into the trouble as well. They were talking about what strategy to use to protect themselves.

Later that evening, after I'd woken up, I found out that something very much like this had happened. My husband wasn't present at the time, but a very similar situation had occured - the woman had been harrassed on the street and falsely accused of this particular crime - an especially hurtful accusation, likely made because it was so hurtful - and one of her friends had punched the accuser. The friend ended up badly beaten, but he had thrown the first punch, so now there was trouble...:(

It wasn't one of those dreams where it was a clear snapshot of what was going to happen, but the story in the dream was pretty spot on. As grim as this is, it's interesting what I didn't see in the dream, which was the identity of the accuser - a mentally unstable man who's well known in town for harrassment, assault and frivolous lawsuits. I wonder why that was absent when the rest of the story was quite clear?

Also, I didn't necessarily foresee the punch-up, but the discussion in the dream was about lawyers, lawsuits and legal repercussions for other people besides the woman. So when I heard about the fight, I was disappointed but not surprised.

Precognitive dream today during an afternoon nap, and not a good one...

The dream revolved around some people my husband knows (whom I know too, but not extremely well). There was trouble going down. One of the women had been harrassed and falsely accused of a particular, heinous crime. Her friends had gathered round her in order to defend her. The atmosphere was tense and worried and it seemed that others would be dragged into the trouble as well. They were talking about what strategy to use to protect themselves.

Later that evening, after I'd woken up, I found out that something very much like this had happened. My husband wasn't present at the time, but a very similar situation had occured - the woman had been harrassed on the street and falsely accused of this particular crime - an especially hurtful accusation, likely made because it was so hurtful - and one of her friends had punched the accuser. The friend ended up badly beaten, but he had thrown the first punch, so now there was trouble...:(

It wasn't one of those dreams where it was a clear snapshot of what was going to happen, but the story in the dream was pretty spot on. As grim as this is, it's interesting what I didn't see in the dream, which was the identity of the accuser - a mentally unstable man who's well known in town for harrassment, assault and frivolous lawsuits. I wonder why that was absent when the rest of the story was quite clear?

Also, I didn't necessarily foresee the punch-up, but the discussion in the dream was about lawyers, lawsuits and legal repercussions for other people besides the woman. So when I heard about the fight, I was disappointed but not surprised.
Were you dreaming this at the same time it was happening in real life? As near as you can be sure?

Were you dreaming this at the same time it was happening in real life? As near as you can be sure?

I can't say for sure right now, but it might have been around the same time or somewhat before. I know the dream came before my OH heard what had happened.

I do tend to get impressions of things that have happened elsewhere at the same time, moreso than premonitions or precognitions.

From your posts you seem pretty "emotionally intelligent" (to use that groansome buzz-phrase) so it could be you're able to pick up on people's behaviour and how they will act later on, but not do so consciously (or maybe you do that too?).

From your posts you seem pretty "emotionally intelligent" (to use that groansome buzz-phrase) so it could be you're able to pick up on people's behaviour and how they will act later on, but not do so consciously (or maybe you do that too?).

Thanks. Actually, I did consider this, whether that particular combination of people could have produced any other outcome, and indeed, that would have been the most logical one. Then again, I couldn't have known they would bump into each other on the street at that time, on that day, so...it could go either way. Or maybe in a town this size, it was bound to happen eventually?

The only other thing I can add is - for a couple of days previous to that, I'd felt sort of uneasy, as if something bad was going to happen, but couldn't get a grasp on what it was until I had the dream. And by then it was too late, anyway. Sometime this "sensing" of things is clear, other times it's maddeningly vague.

I have realised that when I am dreaming, if in the dream I remember something, for example sitting on a beach on a tropical island, I get a strong visual image of the memory and a warm feeling of familiarity at a happy memory.

The trouble is when I wake up I remember I have never been to tropical island. The 'memory' is false, a mixture of film imagery and imagination. I now have a visual memory of something that didn't happen.

But the tropical island example is obviously false and I can prove it so.
But what about false dream memories of talking to friends at school, of old work colleagues, ex girlfriends etc.

Are the memories I now have real, or have they been created by past dreams ?

I like the term. Its just I don't encounter many with it in real life.

I have realised that when I am dreaming, if in the dream I remember something, for example sitting on a beach on a tropical island, I get a strong visual image of the memory and a warm feeling of familiarity at a happy memory.

The trouble is when I wake up I remember I have never been to tropical island. The 'memory' is false, a mixture of film imagery and imagination. I now have a visual memory of something that didn't happen.

But the tropical island example is obviously false and I can prove it so.
But what about false dream memories of talking to friends at school, of old work colleagues, ex girlfriends etc.

Are the memories I now have real, or have they been created by past dreams ?

So you are not talking to anyone, just dreaming about the memory of talking to them in a certain situation?

Here don't sweat it, this sums it up for me.

14.+Imaginary+Friend.gif

No.
I mean I have invented the whole conversation and then on waking (and in time )believe it to be 'real' memory of a real conversation.

This is something that happened to me not long ago. . .
I was talking to a friend about me feeling guilty of about not passing a message on.

I said, in 2011 I had a very vivid dream about a school friend I had in the late eighties.
We were at school, in our school uniforms and he looked exactly like he looked then.
Out of nowhere he looked directly at me and said "tell my mum I'm ok"
This was out of character for him but in my dream I accepted it, only on waking up from this dream did I think it strange.

Several months after this dream I found out he had died in an accident the previous year.

The problem is, now how can I be sure I really had this dream.
It is possible I dreamt this premonition senario after I found out about the accident ?

I can relate to "Sometimes I think ALL my friends have been imaginary"...

Some turned from friends into snakes in the grass.

And family are no better - I made a grumpy, growing old type remark in a email to my brother a while back, which got a very sniffy response, and I've hardly heard from him since. But he's only 3 years younger than me, so his comments could come back soon to bite him on the arse!

"Sometimes I think ALL my friends have been imaginary"

One of the great pleasures of growing older, I've found, is rediscovering old friends and taking up where I left off with them.

I can relate to "Sometimes I think ALL my friends have been imaginary"...

Some turned from friends into snakes in the grass.

I can relate to that Rynner. Fortunately I've only had one relative shit on me .... I've spoken to him once since '95 and that was only because my Dad tricked me into it. You never rip off family.

I like the term. Its just I don't encounter many with it in real life.

It sounds like a backhanded compliment to me, as if the speaker is telling you they think you're thick, but you can tell if someone's in a bad mood. Maybe I'm oversensitive?

It sounds like a backhanded compliment to me, as if the speaker is telling you they think you're thick, but you can tell if someone's in a bad mood. Maybe I'm oversensitive?

If you recognize that you've got great emotional intelligence! *pats GNC on head*

Well, I didn't take it that way...but then again, I'm not so emotionally intelligent that I can detect the nigh-indistinguishable-from-sincere tone of British sarcasm in text from thousands of miles away (or are you Canadian?) Anyway, :p

I.Q. can throw E.Q. for a loop, though, and vice-versa. Human behavior and logic don't necessarily go together. I've inadvertently caused trouble because I couldn't be sure if people were ignoring an "elephant in the room" situation because of a tacit agreement not to mention it, or if they really didn't see the elephant after all.

Took years to learn not to blurt out what other people were trying to hide! :eek:

I am British but I wasn't being sarcastic (that kind of thing can be difficult to read on message boards, so is best deployed by experts). It's just that emotional intelligence can be seen to be making up for something else in examples I've seen it claimed for people, though not always, I have no doubt it exists. Maybe I'm suspicious of terms like that being popularised so you don't know who is and who isn't anymore? I dunno.

My wife and myself recently went on an 18 day trip to the East and West coast of America. I had not been there before. It took me a while to realise that when someone sounded sincere and apologised if they accidently bumped into me (for example) they actually were genuine and sincere. I initially took it for sarcasm, whether because I'm cynical or British I'm not sure.

Back