• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams That Have Come True

That's a bit of a sad indictment of modern society. Maybe we all think everyone else has something to hide, even in simple interactions? I blame the 1990s irony explosion.

I am British but I wasn't being sarcastic (that kind of thing can be difficult to read on message boards, so is best deployed by experts). It's just that emotional intelligence can be seen to be making up for something else in examples I've seen it claimed for people, though not always, I have no doubt it exists. Maybe I'm suspicious of terms like that being popularised so you don't know who is and who isn't anymore? I dunno.

All I see it as is empathy for others, being able to read what people are feeling and being able to control your own emotions.

I was supervisor to a colleague who is emotionally quite stunted. Unfortuately she just doesn't get that she is - no self awareness. She ditches friends because people soon bore her, (she's admitted the same), she can't manage any conflict and runs off and never admits she is wrong even if it is blindly obvious.

She is also quite sneering of folk from lower social classes and basically has never moved on from when she was 8 years old in the playground when she was part of the in-crowd, being posh, blond and pretty. Class is still an issue in some places.

She is on a stellar path into managment even though she cannot relate to anyone. She used to think we were alike. The difference being though, I don't like most people but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in them or care fo them. I'm just a grumpy old sod. I don't dump friends because they get boring or someone else comes along that is more useful or interesting or goodlooking. I tried to point that out to her but she just couldn't accept it as being wrong.

Sadly her new boss is very similar and this lass is being groomed I suspect to be her eventual replacement. They both seem oblivious that trying to get people sacked is not a good thing. Jobs aren't easy to come by. Mortages need paying, etc. Some of these people are useless but some are good at their jobs but don't fit the demographic. White, middle to upper middle class, etc.

The sad thing is she'll do a great job in keeping the place under budget even at the expense of the everyone's happiness.

GNC- I get what you're saying. :nods: I generally think of and experience it as (another awful word here) a "vibe". Which, IMO, is reading a situation with a combination of empathy, pattern recognition and a good BS detector. When it works fast enough, it can seem like intuition. For the record, I do believe that intuition exists as a thing unto itself, but it seems far more nebulous.

Spudrick - I hope you enjoyed your trip. :) And it's not that you are especially cynical - I've experienced the same reaction from nearly every British person I've ever met. They'd give the deadly one-raised-eyebrow look and I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong! Even our elderly, cat-loving neighbor would look at me with suspicion when we chatted about our pets. It took a while before I figured out it was due to a culture gap.

NF- Your colleague sounds like she may fit the description of borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, or any combination of the cluster B disorders, for that matter. Such people can be very appealing on the surface, but cross them or reach the "devalue and discard" stage and you had better head for the bunkers.

There's lots of information on the web, if you want to check it out. It may give you some insight into her personality.

GNC- I get what you're saying. :nods: I generally think of and experience it as (another awful word here) a "vibe". Which, IMO, is reading a situation with a combination of empathy, pattern recognition and a good BS detector. When it works fast enough, it can seem like intuition. For the record, I do believe that intuition exists as a thing unto itself, but it seems far more nebulous.

Spudrick - I hope you enjoyed your trip. :) And it's not that you are especially cynical - I've experienced the same reaction from nearly every British person I've ever met. They'd give the deadly one-raised-eyebrow look and I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong! Even our elderly, cat-loving neighbor would look at me with suspicion when we chatted about our pets. It took a while before I figured out it was due to a culture gap.

NF- Your colleague sounds like she may fit the description of borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, or any combination of the cluster B disorders, for that matter. Such people can be very appealing on the surface, but cross them or reach the "devalue and discard" stage and you had better head for the bunkers.

There's lots of information on the web, if you want to check it out. It may give you some insight into her personality.

I can do the raised eyebrow like no other.

I'm not sure she is PD, I'm always a little hesitant to label people with that particular diagnosis. Her main problem is that her father had her and her sister compete for everything including I suspect his affection. She craves attention but once she gets it from someone, she gets bored.

I actually feel sorry for her as she has struggled to stay in relationships. I think she'll mature and that might paper over the cracks somewhat. I hope so as I don't hold her any malice towards her and I think a more nuturing boss could have pulled out her strengths. Sadly that's not the case.

Ah, that'll be feminine intuition, I don't know if there's any such thing as masculine intuition. Anyway, I'm glad we have that cleared up.

The situation I dreamed about below (and I'm quoting myself here so no one has to hunt for it) has become even more peculiar since.
The dream revolved around some people my husband knows (whom I know too, but not extremely well). There was trouble going down. One of the women had been harrassed and falsely accused of a particular, heinous crime. Her friends had gathered round her in order to defend her. The atmosphere was tense and worried and it seemed that others would be dragged into the trouble as well. They were talking about what strategy to use to protect themselves.

Later that evening, after I'd woken up, I found out that something very much like this had happened. My husband wasn't present at the time, but a very similar situation had occured - the woman had been harrassed on the street and falsely accused of this particular crime - an especially hurtful accusation, likely made because it was so hurtful - and one of her friends had punched the accuser. The friend ended up badly beaten, but he had thrown the first punch, so now there was trouble...:(

It wasn't one of those dreams where it was a clear snapshot of what was going to happen, but the story in the dream was pretty spot on. As grim as this is, it's interesting what I didn't see in the dream, which was the identity of the accuser - a mentally unstable man who's well known in town for harrassment, assault and frivolous lawsuits. I wonder why that was absent when the rest of the story was quite clear?

Also, I didn't necessarily foresee the punch-up, but the discussion in the dream was about lawyers, lawsuits and legal repercussions for other people besides the woman. So when I heard about the fight, I was disappointed but not surprised.

Our friend, the one who had punched the mad harasser, had expected to be arrested and charged with assault. This seemed a foregone conclusion, since it was likely what the mad harasser (let's call him "MH", for Mad Harasser) intended to do by starting trouble in the street. It's MH's shtick, you see - if you so much as look at him funny, he'll drag you into the courts and try to sue you for *cue Dr. Evil voice* one million dollars.

Instead, MH seems to have really gone around the bend this time - he's been running about, making threats against public officals and hiding in people's bushes. He's sent my husband (and his co-workers) numerous abusive emails accusing him/them of being part of a government conspiracy. At the last city council meeting, there were loads of coppers there for protection and the federales are probably looking for MH at this point.

Anyway, it's all been very strange, and even though the MH is the one element that was missing from the dream, the last two weeks or so have been spent with the same sort of tension and worry as the dream - all the "what do we do, what's going to happen, how do we protect ourselves" sort of thing that made the dream so unpleasant.

I do wonder why MH was absent from the dream when the other elements were there - perhaps it's because in many ways his behavior has been unpredictable?

Over in the "what were you doing five minutes ago" thread I just mentioned having a feeling of foreboding, and I can't tell if it's another thing to do with this or something else.

Over in the "what were you doing five minutes ago" thread I just mentioned having a feeling of foreboding, and I can't tell if it's another thing to do with this or something else.
I hope you update us on this quite soon Ulalume.

I had a couple of dreams like this in the 1980s but none since.

In one, I was in the sea during a storm at night. I was in the water, surrounded by wreckage and people panicking. This middle aged man told me to stay calm and I'd be OK if I held on to a piece of wreckage. Oddly that hadn't occurred to me (doh) but I did as he said. I knew the man and I weren't 'there' but the other people, somehow... were. He went off to calm down other people. There were christmas lights along the shore - we were within sight of the shore.

It was so vivid, I woke up screaming the place down, and crawling along the walls trying to find the light switch. This woke my husband (then boyfriend) up and so I told him the whole story, down to the detail of the lights strung along the shore, that I saw from the water. Then fell back asleep and thought no more of it. Went to uni, came home, watched evening news and... the Penlee boat disaster had happened. We checked the time when I woke him up and it was around 2 AM. My husband remembers it to this day.

Some time after, I had another terrifying maritime dream. This time, no reassuring middle aged man. But it was a vaguer dream. I was in what looked like a cruise liner, somewhere below deck, kept hostage. This time there was nothing on the news - relief. Then a week later... a cruise ship was hijacked. I think one person was killed. When we saw the end of the story on the evening news - one of the girls who had worked on the ship, whose family had gone to meet her at the airport - her brother was on TV and he had been in my class at school!

Never had a dream like either again.

There is a sting in the tail though. In the early 2000s - 30 years on - I was researching family history and discovered I had an ancestor who, as a middle aged man, was one of only three survivors of a boat accident. The newspaper reports said he only survived because a man on the bank shouted out to him "Hold thy hold, lad!" and he clung on to a piece of wreckage...

Had another dream - don't know if it was before, during or after the explosion in China, but it was certainy before I'd heard the news.

I was asleep, and heard someone - a male voice - say "a massive fireball has been seen over China." When I woke up I didn't know if this had been a dream, or if I'd overheard a news report or if my husband had even woken me to tell me at one point. When I did turn on the news, it was the lead story.

When I saw my husband later I mentioned the explosion and it turned out he hadn't even heard about it - in fact no one in the house knew about it! No one had watched TV or listened to the radio at that point. I can't think of any other way I would have heard it.

That's two maybe-prophetic dreams in a month? That's a bit much and I hope it doesn't become a habit! :eek:

Ulalume, this sounds nuts but I just said out loud in a Basil Fawlty kind of way "That's enough! I'm not having these dreams any more! I'm not standing for it!" Totally believing in my heart of hearts it was just a coincidence, if I'm honest. Millions of people in the world having millions of dreams - it's going to happen. But after that, I never had another and that was 30 years ago or so. At the time I also put it down to the fact that I had spent a lot of my childhood on a boat so the maritime nature of the dreams was to do with my own subconscious, kinda thing. Your fireball in China is way more uncanny. Because it is far more random.

I had a couple of dreams like this in the 1980s but none since.

In one, I was in the sea during a storm at night. I was in the water, surrounded by wreckage and people panicking. This middle aged man told me to stay calm and I'd be OK if I held on to a piece of wreckage. Oddly that hadn't occurred to me (doh) but I did as he said. I knew the man and I weren't 'there' but the other people, somehow... were. He went off to calm down other people. There were christmas lights along the shore - we were within sight of the shore.

It was so vivid, I woke up screaming the place down, and crawling along the walls trying to find the light switch. This woke my husband (then boyfriend) up and so I told him the whole story, down to the detail of the lights strung along the shore, that I saw from the water. Then fell back asleep and thought no more of it. Went to uni, came home, watched evening news and... the Penlee boat disaster had happened. We checked the time when I woke him up and it was around 2 AM. My husband remembers it to this day.

Some time after, I had another terrifying maritime dream. This time, no reassuring middle aged man. But it was a vaguer dream. I was in what looked like a cruise liner, somewhere below deck, kept hostage. This time there was nothing on the news - relief. Then a week later... a cruise ship was hijacked. I think one person was killed. When we saw the end of the story on the evening news - one of the girls who had worked on the ship, whose family had gone to meet her at the airport - her brother was on TV and he had been in my class at school!

Never had a dream like either again.

There is a sting in the tail though. In the early 2000s - 30 years on - I was researching family history and discovered I had an ancestor who, as a middle aged man, was one of only three survivors of a boat accident. The newspaper reports said he only survived because a man on the bank shouted out to him "Hold thy hold, lad!" and he clung on to a piece of wreckage...
Have you posted this story on here before, a few years ago? The Christmas lights on the shore rings a bell.

Had another dream - don't know if it was before, during or after the explosion in China, but it was certainy before I'd heard the news.

I was asleep, and heard someone - a male voice - say "a massive fireball has been seen over China." When I woke up I didn't know if this had been a dream, or if I'd overheard a news report or if my husband had even woken me to tell me at one point. When I did turn on the news, it was the lead story.

When I saw my husband later I mentioned the explosion and it turned out he hadn't even heard about it - in fact no one in the house knew about it! No one had watched TV or listened to the radio at that point. I can't think of any other way I would have heard it.

That's two maybe-prophetic dreams in a month? That's a bit much and I hope it doesn't become a habit! :eek:

I'm going to mess with the wife's head. I'll get up watch some news event, go into the bedroom when she's still asleep and go " Jeremy Clarkson has been made Pope" or whatever is happening and see if she wakes up and declares herself precog.

Don't think this will come true.

I dreamt I was in a wooden submarine with Yul Brynner, the sub had a huge old cannon, (pretty phallic and homoerotic so far...)

Then on leaving Yul and the Sub I agreed to take a dog for a walk that promptly urinated on my head. I then stank of dog piss for a while. I was horrified by this.

I then spoke to my mum on the phone, (old school, I never speak on smart/mobile phones in dreams), and she appeared to be speaking from beyond the veil and truly spooked me out.

I then woke up.

Talking of dog wee... I just woke my husband up during his only lie in of the week as I heard the dog barking and panicked that we'd slept in she was going to wee on the carpet. She's only just a year old and not very reliable.

It was this really insistent barking and her bark, not another dog's. Poor husband goes down to let her out and... she's fast asleep on the sofa. Very vivid dream.

I'll make this brief and my last as I don't want to derail this thread, but I dreamt that Rynner was my next door neighbour and demolished most of my garage with his yacht, which didn't particularly upset me.

Would be interesting to see how close the real Rynner is to my dream Rynner. Very nice chat though Rynner, and thanks for the tea but you need to get over your obsession with the film Jaws!

Is dreaming about folks on here really common now? I'm interested to know how we know it's them if we've never seen them.

Would be interesting to see how close the real Rynner is to my dream Rynner. Very nice chat though Rynner, and thanks for the tea but you need to get over your obsession with the film Jaws!
The dream me does not sound like the real me! I haven't got a yacht, not even a toy one for the bath. (In fact, I don't have a bath, just a shower.) And I never drink tea, and I'm not obsessed with Jaws! (The film was OK, but the book was crap!)

The dream me does not sound like the real me! I haven't got a yacht, not even a toy one for the bath. (In fact, I don't have a bath, just a shower.) And I never drink tea, and I'm not obsessed with Jaws! (The film was OK, but the book was crap!)

ok physical appearance. Dream Rynner was grey/dark haired, medium height, slim and wore glasses.

Now I remember you said you used to look like Burt Reynolds, dream Rynner could have passed as Burt if clean shaven.

ok physical appearance. Dream Rynner was grey/dark haired..
..mostly white
..sadly, no.
..wore glasses..
..only for watching TV.

Now I remember you said you used to look like Burt Reynolds, dream Rynner could have passed as Burt if clean shaven.
The only thing Burt and I had in common was a tache!

I really think you should direct your dreams elsewhere! :p

It's obvious what was going on, Naughty - if you'd watched the dream from the start you'd have seen the credit "And Special Guest Star Burt Reynolds as Rynner".

Is dreaming about folks on here really common now? I'm interested to know how we know it's them if we've never seen them.

I dreamt that Mooks graffiti'd my garden shed. I didn't see him, but I knew it was him because he signed it.:D
He did a pretty nice job actually. I was impressed.

Nice to hear he's spending his sleepytime wisely. I did have that Graylien dream I mentioned on here a couple of weeks ago where he was represented by his avatar.

What we need now is for two forum members to recognise each other in the same dream and independently post on here about it. Then we'd be on to something.

Well, this is not my dream, but I can't find a better thread for it at the mo'...
I was reading up on Mark Twain this evening and found this interesting bit:

He experienced an unusually vivid dream in which he saw the body of his brother Henry lying dead in a metal coffin in his sister's sitting room. The coffin was supported by two chairs, and upon his brother's still chest was a bouquet of flowers with one red rose in its center.

It was just a few weeks later that Henry died as the result of injuries sustained in a boat accident. Appearing at the wake, Twain found his brother's body just as he had seen it in the dream: in a metal coffin supported by two chairs. Missing only were the flowers. Just then, a woman entered the room and placed on Henry's chest a bouquet - with a single red rose in the center.

Apparently, Twain was an early member of the Society for Psychical Research due to experiences of this kind.

Has anyone had any dreams that have actually happened?

I've had a few inconsequential dreams that have happened. There are a couple that I really remember because they were so vivid and slightly odd too.

I was sitting in the college canteen at a particular table, chatting to a guy that I had only ever spoken to twice, and on those occasions whilst sitting at different tables. As we were chatting, he said, "there's Jill", (Jill was one of our lecturers), so I turned, saw a girl wearing jeans with long blonde hair walk though the canteen and out through the door, and then spotted Jill, pottering along with arms over-loaded with bags and books. I thought, "shall I call out 'hello' to her, then decided against it as she was slightly deaf and I didn't want to embarrass myself. So instead I turned back to the guy and and carried on chatting.
I remember waking up from it thinking how odd it was, because it was so dull and uninteresting, and why was I sitting with this guy?

Anyway, a couple of days later I was sitting in the canteen with the same guy, just because he happened to sit down in order to say hello. We were chatting away and suddenly, the guy said, "There's Jill", and it was as though my dream were being replayed before my very eyes. Every detail was identical to the dream, including my thoughts on calling out 'hello'. VERY bizarre.

All of the other dreams have been equally mundane, but have struck me as a kind of enormous dejavu.

However, possibly the strangest was a dream I had when I was 12. I dreampt that I was studying for A-Levels at an infant school, and I came out of a class-room, turned to close the door, which was Royal Blue, and then turned back to a friend who had black hair. It was odd ebcuase I wasn't planning on doing A-Levels, my plan was just to beocme an actress.

Anyway, when I was 18, I came out of an A-Level lecture, turned to close the door and had, as previously described, the most intense dejavu, and then it hit me that I had dreamed this. The building was an old infant school, the door was blue and the girl I was with had black hair.

VERY odd...

Most of these true dreams were either dreamt or reinacted while I was attending that particular college.
I had a nightmare almost come true. I used to have a night mare where I would be sitting ina park of some sort, at a picnic table across from maybe four or five very attractive young women. While I was looking at them they were smiling at me. Their smiles made me feel like the luckiest man on earth. Then all of a sudden they started looking back and forth from me to someone or something that was slowly coming up behind me with great power that I could somehow feel. The women were still smiling at me and "it" as it came to standing directly and close behind me. My level of fear became so great that I dare not turn around and look at the being. Their smile then became somehow menacing even though it had not changed their smile seemed to me to be saying "I dare you to look" I would then wake up terrified and in a cold sweat. Now here is where it really gets creepy, one night in real life I walked into a jewelry store to see if I could get change for the bus. The young woman behind the counter said yes she would give me change. I couldn't help but notice the way she was smiling at me, it haunted me even though she was very attractive. All of a sudden I notice through the corner of my eyes a rather tall woman in a full length white fur coat approach from behind but at an angle where I could not make out the her facial features as I was busy counting my change. The tall woman then casually put her hand on the counter. She was still standing at an angle where if I just turned my head 45 degrees I could see her clearly. I noticed her hand or should I say paw. While her hand was completely human it some how reminded me of the paw of a dog which I found interesting enough to think to myself, "I wonder what her face looks like" just then as I thought of turning to look I was struck by a fear that was so great that me knees started knocking. I have in my life look down the barrel of a gun before but I was never so afraid of anything of I was to look at the Woman. As I turned my attention to the the woman behind the counter there was that smile from my nightmare only this I almost heard her thinking, "I dare you to look" I exit the shop very quickly.

Incredibly vivid dream last night, much of which I can still recall in great detail. I was on the 2nd storey of a multi-floor car-park, somewhere hot. I got the feeling it was continental Europe. The car-park was in the vicinity of some archaeological ruins - I can recall remnants of an old city wall and terracotta coloured roof tiles. Suddenly, there was a roaring noise. Some people almost ran into me and I yelled at them "Earthquake! Get out of here. Get into the street."
People were running down the exit ramp, which suddenly slewed and then collapsed to the right. I saw people in front of me get crushed. Don't know if the dream me got out, because I woke up at that point, with my heart hammering.

I'm obviously aware there was a significant earthquake in Italy only a few weeks ago, but this dream didn't seem to resonate with that. The fact that I spoke English in the dream suggests it could have been somewhere with a large ex-pat community.

So, if you see a news report of a major earthquake, with a collapsed multi-storey car-park near some historic site, with some ex-pat British casualties, then remember you read it here first!

Around 2008, when I was in college, I remember a dream where I met a man who had teeth like a shark or a blue whale. I later met him real life (he had human teeth though). However, since we moved in the same circles, it's possible that I had already seen him without noticing.

A few people I know or know of through others have had more clear cut examples.

An old flame's grandmother had a dream about horses with numbers in a race. The order of how the horses finished later turned out to be the lottery numbers. She apparently always regretted not figuring out the connection before hand.

The other social studies teacher at my school had a dream where he was riding his bike, went down some stone stairs in the park and ended up crashing. A year or two later, the exact same thing happened, but he didn't realize it soon enough to stop the inevitable.

For fun, I'd like to share two supposedly prophetic dreams two other friends/co-workers have shared with me. We'll see if they turn out to be true.

The Algebra teacher's son had a dream about President Trump (it's scary enough already) giving a speech complaining that he couldn't accomplish any of his promises, because congress wouldn't let him (if we are unfortunate enough to have a President Trump, let's hope this part is at least).

The long term sub has told us that he had a dream about him and group of men looking down the mesa, observing military men training in formation. For what it's worth, he believes the dream is already beginning to come true, because while he didn't recognize any of the men with him at the time, he says he recognized me as one when we met.

We really ought to open a thread for any dreams that readers think may be prophetic.
Then, if a subsequent news story matches the description closely, we would have documented evidence of precognition.

Back