• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams That Have Come True

This is fascinating- the dreamscapes in particular.
for many years I have had recurruring dreams where I just seem to pop inti someone elses life for want of a better description. She is a little older than me and seems to be running a small hotel, possibly on the north Devon coast. I get sight of the sea when "we" are in the garden picking veg or Raspberries, there is a largish basement where there are laundry things and at least two junior staff who work in the resturant which seems quite busy and serves fairly plain food but well presented- I've cleaned the silver once.
It is hard to explain, but really more like being inside another body all the perspectives are from a personal viewpoint,
I usually wake up exhausted.
Any ideas what this is all about? :roll:

Perhaps you're haunting someone? I'm sure there's a thread about that somewhere.

Rynner; Robert Goddard is one of my favourite authors. If you are new to his works you are in for a treat, because he has written around 15 or so hugely entertaining and clever novels. There's usually a new one along about once every eighteen months.

My favourite is 'Caught in the Light' about a photographer. They are fiendishly contrived and terribly complicated, to the point where. at some stage in each new one, I am forced to ask myself 'Whhaaat?!!'
in total disbelief.

I suppose, to be fair, when you have read several and are familiar with his style, the 'contrivances' are a little more obvious, but only just!

...whoops! - Just slipped off thread there for a moment!

hecate said:
Rynner; Robert Goddard is one of my favourite authors. If you are new to his works you are in for a treat, because he has written around 15 or so hugely entertaining and clever novels. There's usually a new one along about once every eighteen months.[/i]
I look forward to reading more! :D

philiusfog said:
Every few months I have a prophetic dream. What I mean by this is, basically, that I have a very vivid dream about, for instance, talking with colleagues or eating breakfast etc. - every detail is brought to life, from colours to direct speech. Usually I am unable to directly recall the subtle details on waking - as I enter the land of non-nod things seem to slip away from my mind. But at the very least I am aware the next morning that during the night I had some form of 'different' dream.

However, the important (and relevant for this thread!) point is that, following such dreams, I can be 100% certain that the events will follow in the coming day. They will occur directly as they happened in my dream and the details will come flooding back about half a minute before the events themselves.

I've had those. There's a very distinct feeling that comes along with it, kind of like deja vu, but distinctly different. It's as if you're aware of the way things are playing out in front of you - in that they're not fresh experiences, but a memory of a dream.

I have had it several times, and a few times I was aware once I'd had the dream, that I'd experience what I'd just dreamt.

I know a few others that have done this, and I reckon it's quite common.

Thanks Timble.
Interesting read, Sound much more in control than my pottering about inside someone else. Perhaps she imagines me? Is there a poster out there who has an imaginary female lurking in her head while she picks vegetables and does laudry? :roll:

A couple of thoughts on prophetic dreams.

I've had them too, only a couple of times. Once when I was in grade school, I had a recurring dream where I was walking down the hallway of my school toward the gym, and as I approached the door I saw it was full of kids in Halloween costumes. It seemed very vivid and detailed, and I noticed the details of individual costumes. About 2 months later, it was Halloween and my school had a costume party in the gym. For some reason I lagged behind and as I walked by myself towards the gym, I was hit with deja vu and everything was just as my dream, including the costumes of the kids in the doorway.

I've thought a lot about this over the years, and I've come to a couple of conclusions. One, memory is extremely fallible and prone to a lot of 'static'. I remember having the recurring dream, but now I can't be terribly sure how accurate my dream really was. In other words, was my dream really that exact or was it more 'generic', with my mind filling in the details in my memory? Two, deja vu is such an interesting and misunderstood phenomena, and the human brain does tend to 'connect the dots'. Was my dream really that prophetic (I knew Halloween was coming up, and that we always had parties in the gym to celebrate it, and I was looking forward to it), or was my mind (and memory) working overtime to bridge the gaps?

I've noticed these types of dreams always tend to be rather mundane (like the poster who dreamed about seeing his teacher in the cafeteria), about things that could be very likely in the real world. Is our memory of these dreams to be trusted? When we experience deja vu, do we take our 'generic' dreams and embroider the details to make our dreams match? I guess my point is, how much can we trust our memory?

Hate to sound like a skeptic - I'm just sayin, is all. Maybe we can dream of future things - if so, I'd like to dream up a winning lottery number. ;)

Deep Sky said:
I must confess that whilst I've never had a dream come true, my dreams do follow a rather bizarre pattern.
They tend to take place in a particular town. This town does not exist anywhere but in my head. It has particular landmarks, shops and features such as woods and rivers nearby. Their location in reference to each other never changes and I have had many, many dreams set within this town.

Ditto, Deep Sky - I've been having similiar dreams for years. It's based partly on real places I've lived or spent time in, but they all run together and have their own 'feel'. The geography is so familiar to me, I could probably draw a map of it. I know of a couple of people who also have a 'dream town' they frequently visit in their sleep. Too bad we can't all visit each other's places!

recurring dreams

I've had dreams for years about an area in my old neighborhood that, in my dreams, has 3 small, used bookstores within a few blocks of each other. In reality, there was ONE bookstore in that area but it wasn't even there very long. I also dream about a used bookstore with a basement where all of the sci-fi and fantasy books are but I have yet to find this store. It's very vivid even now in my mind and I really wish I could find it because its huge and there's nowhere I like to shop more than bookstore.:D It's always well-lit, there are always lots of people around and I'm always looking for one book to finish off a series that I can never find. Interestingly, I searched for 2 or 3 years for book 3 of a 4 part series without any luck until earlier this year. And I can't remember having either of the dreams since then.
I also had one semi-prophetic dream when I was about 12. I dreamed that the boy next door was hit by a car and then a few days later, crossing the street after visitng the ice cream truck, I was hit by a car. The first thing I said when I came to was, Am I dreaming? The other kids teased me about this but I never told them why I said that.

"Also cute and fluffy!"

Hi all

I had a recurring dream that lasted 3 weeks, in that it became so overwhelming and started to take over my thoughts during the day aswell. At the time it was so intense I thought I was starting to go slightly barking. In the end I spoke to my mum about it.

I was absolutely convinced it was going to happen and needed to protect my then boyfriend (whom we shall call Bob) of the consequences of what I thought was going to happen.

The dream I kept having was that my ex was going to come after me to try to kill me! but whilst ex was coming down the street towards the house Bob was on his motorbike going to college, when he was spotted by ex who jumped out in front of him to try to knock him off the bike and attack him. Anyway in my dream my ex was killed by the bike hitting him. I thought that this could of being seen as Bob delibrately killing him and hence had to tell someone as I was so convinced it was going to happen.

Now as events turned out it didn't quite happen like that. But it was too strange how things did happen for me to write the dream off as a warning.

Within about 2 to 3 days of each other Bob had an accident on his bike which with regret I have to say someone died. (For those of you who may wonder it turned out through witnesses it wasn't his fault as the man ran out in front of him. Bob was knocked unconscious when he came off and didn't remember a lot about it and nor do I think he wanted to.)

The other thing that happened was my ex (who suffers from paraniod/aggressive schzophrenia, and delusions of being god/jesus or other religious figures) did come round and try to smash his way through the front door shouting out the different ways in which he was going to kill me.

Anyway needless to say the dream stopped after that, I also have to add this all happened quite a few years ago and life has regained some sanity since then. Only a bit mind! :? saying that it wasn't the first dream episode I've had like that and it hasn't been the last either. But I think I've taken up quite a bit of space with this one for the moment.

Thanks for listening :)

vivid premonition

when at school i had a number of vivid, detailed dreams that were like snapshots of a moment in time.
i would see a scene (e.g. a brick wall with cracks in a particular place) and then after the dream i would experience that view in real life.

the real life experience was always a jolt because i was over-aware of the fact that i had alreay viewed the exact scene in a dream. sometimes it would be a new place that i hadn't visited before but more often it would be a familiar place and it was the exact angle and scope of the view that jolted me back to the dream vision.

anyone else ever have this kind of thing or was i perhaps a bit of a loon?

<sorry- missed the previous post when posting this and my entry now seems rather trivial but maybe by examining the tiny details we get a better picture of the whole?>

I have a cousin my age who lives in another province. I usually only see her once a year ( if that).
About 3 years ago, I had a dream that she was pregnant. At the time of the dream, I had not seen her in a very long time and had no idea that her and her husband were trying to have a baby. The dream just came completely out of the blue.
The very next day, my cousin's grandmother phoned to say that this cousin of mine was pregnant.

Last summer she became pregnant again. One night I had a dream that she had a girl, which is what happened. I know only had a 50 % chance of being right but still......

Here is another disturbing dream incident I have had. For about 10 years I have dreamed periodically that I am in a plane crash. In these dreams, I am always the only survivor. I do not fly regularly so I dont know what was prompting the dreams. In one of the crash dreams, my son was with me, and after the crash I was looking for him and found him unharmed. We were the only survivors.
Here is the weird part:

A few years ago near where I live in Nova Scotia, a SwissAir jet crashed into the ocean. I lived an hour from the crash site and actually heard the plane hit the water at the time but didnt know what it was. Everyone on board was killed.
Since that crash, I have only had one more crash dream. In that one, I was standing alongside the highway looking at a big plane flying over and I knew it was crashing but there was nothing I could do. That is the only crash dream I had where I wasn't on the plane.

I dont know if my recurring dreams are related to the SwissAir crash but maybe there is a link since I stopped dreaming that after it happened.

philiusfog said:
The strange thing is I had the dream and then I had the later experience of precience. Both, to my mind were linked, as the images from the dream (ie the circle formation, the locker room, the exact friends) were identical to reality. It was just the dialogue which had perhaps slipped from my mind, only to be brought back shortly before the event.
Philiusfog.

I've been hoping for years to find someone who has experienced this. It's a really hard thing to put into words but I'll try.

My own experiences of it go back to when I was a child - I'm not sure how far back. All of the dreams/premonitions I've had like this are completely mundane. When I was younger I once freaked a schoolfriend out by repeating his exact words to him a split second before he'd said them. I dreamt about what he would say some weeks before (I can't remember the exact words).

The way these dreams occur have changed as I've got older. The differences are that now I can't will these dreams to happen (I used to be able to), they are less frequent and they are exclusively dreams about a place I haven't been to yet, with people I haven't met yet, in situations that haven't happened yet.

Four months before I went to College (circa 1989 and before I had applied to any colleges or even had any idea what I wanted to do) I had a dream about finding free credits on a photocopier (hardly mind-boggling revelations about future events I know!), standing next to a stranger (who I didn't recognize but who somehow I knew in the dream) in a place I'd never lived before. In the dream someone walked around a wall next to the copier and the dream ended. Four months later I'd gone to college half way across the country and I was with someone who'd became a good friend when we found ten pounds worth of credits on a copier, I got a really weird feeling looked up to the corner and sure enough someone from my course walked around it.

They seem to occur when I'm trying to decide if something is a good idea or not, when I'm having to make some big decision that will affect my life. The dream seems to act as a kind of reassurance and I always wake up and think 'that was one'.

Another one happened in 1999 and involved a conversation between myself and a circle of 4 close friends while I was travelling in Australia. I dreamt about it at least twelve months before it happened (While I was in Britain deciding whether to go or not). The weird thing is this time it was exactly as philiusfog described - all I could do was sit gaping as each person spoke in turn and then turned to face me. I knew what each of them was going to say but couldn't say anything before they'd spoken, I was dumbstruck. There was an odd sense of the words being spoken by each person in a certain manner, almost weighed with meaning that seemed relevant in some unfathomable way.

Deja Vu doesn't quite fit the bill with these dreams as I have woken up and related them afterwards to people, even written some down only to watch them be played back some time later.

Well 'nuff said for now - I feel I've been rambling but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

There was an old thread in the fortean archives about this - something about 'mundane precognition' I think.

Anyone else have this type of experience?

Wow, reading about someone seeing planes in their dreams brought this back to me....
I've had dreams, premonitions, or fuzzy thoughts about a huge plane hitting our house, or flying very close to it. As you may or may not know, I live in PA, and Flight 93 flew right past here and crashed in Shanksville. (Well, not if you Google it, but that's for another thread.)

I also dream about a particular landscape quite often. This has been happening for about the last two years in my case.
I seem to be riding in a car along a rollercoaster rail that wraps all around and inside and out (through) several mountains. (the "car" is like an actual Rollercoaster car) Each of these mountains seem to represent a different aspect of my life...I think. I have that feeling after I have awakened anyhow. I do different things in different mountains. It's hard to explain. I can have a different dream every night, every dream is different... but the dreams always take place in these mountains.

I have had a few dreams in my life that have come true. One in particular stands out.
I knew of a woman when I was younger who used to drive around in this really nice black truck. It was her pride and joy according to those who did know her. In my dream I was standing in a baseball field and I looked up to see the womans truck parked in the field right in front of me. The windsheild was tinted black and across it in gold letters the words "IT'S A GIRL" were printed.
Approximately a week later this woman gave birth to a baby girl in the seat of her truck. Her sister was driving her to the hospital and had to pull over because the baby was coming that very moment. She had pulled over in the parking lot of the baseball field in my dream. A day or so after the birth the woman had posted the words "IT'S A GIRL" across the back window of the truck, not in gold but in pink letters.

Now...I did know the woman was pregnant. I saw her often driving the truck. The Hospital was no more than one hundred yards from the parking lot and the baseball field.
I was about 17 years old when I had the dream.

~Kim~

Redhead: I dig your new avatar!

Hi all,

Back when I was a child, of about 8 or 9 I think, I had a long dream where I travelled all around places that I knew, visiting peoples houses, a birthday party - I've forgotten most of it now but I always remember the ending..

In the dream I had been searching for something but not really knowing what it was, when I arrived outside a large building with a paved area outside. Lots of uniformed children were running around and then a bell sounded and they began to pour in through the front doors of what was obviously now a school. As they did I saw a professorish kind of guy holding aloft a sort globe - the kind you normally see of the earth, with a semi-circle holder and stand, except this one was made out of wicker (don't ask me why). I knew then that this globe was what I had been searching for. I tried to get to him through the crowd but he was swept inside and then the dream ended.

It was a strange and vivid dream so it stuck in my head which was why several years later when I started secondary school that I recognised the entrance to my new school as being the one from my dream. I had never seen it in real life before my first day at the secondary school.

A few years later I had a very vivid dream where I was looking out of my parents bedroom window at night. The moon was extremely large appearing to be many times its normal size and low in the sky. From over the horizon a large passenger jet appeared heading straight for me. It crashed, silently and in slow motion into the houses a couple of streets over and caused carnage smashing everything up. This preceded a couple of plane crashes in the following week including one in which a passenger jet crashed onto the M25 motorway near London.

These days I often have dreams that feature people who I haven't seen or heard of in years and I also sometimes have dreams that are in the 3rd person, i.e. I am not actually in the dream at all, just as a disembodied observer of a situation or scene. These scenes can be quite mundane sometimes, but I don't know anyone else who has dreams which they are not actually 'in'.

Well, thats my two-pence worth, dreams = weird!

cheers,

Nathan

As long as we're talking about odd dreamworlds, I should mention this time that I began having such realistic dreams I couldn't tell them from reality. :shock:

I was finishing up college my junior/senior years, when I started having extremely realistic, extremely mundane dreams just before I woke up. In one of these dreams, I would: wake up in my bedroom, stagger out to the kitchen for coffee, take a shower, get dressed, get my stuff together and go to the class I was supposed to go to that day. The professor would lecture, give us a plausible assignment, then I'd go to lunch with some friends after class.

Then I would wake up for real and have the exact same experience. Nothing strange or dreamlike ever happened - I never flew to school like a bird, showed up for class naked, or had my car turn into a blue alligator.

These dreams were so incredibly believable and realistic, I would often get confused as to what my actual assignments were! More than once I had to ask a friend something like, "Did he want us to write a paper comparing modernism with medievalism, or did I just dream that?" :oops:

The dreams stopped just before I graduated and I've never had them since!

precognitive dreams

I have only had one precognitive dream in my life. It was so vivid, and provided such rich detail, that I remembered it as if it were a real memory for a few days after I had it, and can still remember the dream today, many years later. Then the events in the dream actually happened.

This took place quite a few years ago, when I was a teenager.

I lived in a suburb of toronto that was characterized by woods, rivers, hills and valleys. I lived at the end of a flat section of the neighbourhood. To get to it, you could approach it from two angles, one of which was over a hill, between two apartment buildings and down under a freeway underpass.

Anyway, the dream ...

I was in a bus at the top of the hill, between the apartment buildings. The bus was stopped and we were told (by someone) that we were not allowed to continue because there was a sniper firing onto the road. I wanted to get home, of course, so I jumped out of the bus and ran down the hill towards the freeway underpass. I remember being shot at from behind as I ran down the hill, but once I was under the underpass, I was safe. When I emerged from the safety of the underpass, in order to continue towards home, I was shot at again. I remember hiding behind some buildings to avoid the shots. Once I was a few blocks away, I was safe from the shots and I went home.

End of dream.

A few days later, in real life, a gunman actually did fire down onto the street and the freeway from one of the apartment buildings. Traffic was stopped along the road in my dream to ensure that no-one would be shot. I was not personally involved (I was safely at home).

I have never had a precognitive dream since, but I did once dream that I was a bowling ball. That one probably won't come true.

Sunday night I dreamed that my alarm didn't go off and my husband & I found ourselves running late for work. Monday morning, we woke up to find the alarm hadn't gone off! We were awake in time not to have to rush, fortunately. Tuesday morning, the alarm didn't go off again but fortunately, again, we had enough time to get ready. Tuesday night, I checked the alarm, tested it and it went off like clockwork(sorry, I couldn't resist). I dreamed again that the alarm didn't go off and that I tried to call our HR director (we work together) to let her know we'd be late because it was already 9 when we woke up and we have to BE there at 9. But Wednesday morning, the alarm went off. Boring, I know. Never did figure out why the alarm didn't go off those two days but the coincidence Monday was weird.

Just before my parents dog had to be euthanised my friend dreamed that she was ill and was being taken into the vet...neither me nor my friend were aware that there was anything wrong with the dog and we lived miles away from my mum and dad...I brushed this off as a weird co-incidence but on Sunday night I dreamed, amongst other things (most notably Sean Connery and me running in to Woolworths as a large building opposite was on fire and in danger of falling down) that my sisters guinea-pig had died...low and behold she called me on Monday evening to tell me that young Muffin had passed away..I will keep an eye out for Sean just in case he needs to rescue me from a burning building.. :lol:

This JUST happened to me recently, and I'm still reeling..............

Several months ago, hubby and I were living in NYC, but planning on moving to Key West. I had a dream one night that we were in Key West. I was standing over some kind of doctor's table (bright light, doctor's instruments laying nearby, etc.) I was with an older woman and I was holding down a large bird-of-prey, while she was trying to help it.... I even mentioned it to hubby, said "I dreamed we were in Key West, and I was working as some kind of bird-rescuer." We had visited the Wildlife Rescue and Seabird Sanctuary last time we were there, so he said "Hmm. Maybe you'll wind up working at that Wildlife Rescue....."

However, me getting a job wasn't in our plans. We moved here to open my husband's first restaurant. But as it turned out, there was plenty of time for me to get a part-time job, and we needed the extra income while waiting for the restaurant to open. Anyway, I had forgotten all about the dream once we moved to beautiful Key West, and I got a part-time job--you got it--at the Wildlife Rescue. One day a beautiful young Osprey came in with injuries, so the director called me over to the table to hold the bird while she set the wing, and bam! it was the moment in the dream I had remembered! I was floored. I had to step away from the table and collect myself for a second. I guess it was destiny, as I really love my work at the Rescue, and though birds were never a huge interest for me, they are now my obsession!

Ravenstone said:
I've dreamed Formula One Grand Prixs before. Even down to wheels coming off, the results, and a specific driver in a specific car crashing.

Obvious question, but don't people bet, often quite heavily, on F1 results? If you ever feel like funding a Fortean Phenomena research institute, I'll come & work there :yeay:

Dreamed of a man, then saw him in real life

My dreams are sometimes strange, in that they often predict the future so frankly, it doesn't surprise me a whole lot that this happened.

It happened about 2 weeks ago but I kind of put it out of my mind until now. In this particular dream, I was in a restaurant. It was fancy, and semi-dark...seemed to have great ambiance. I was near a door scanning the place when a man I have never seen before came up to me, took me by the arm and insisted I have dinner with him.

He kept insisting, saying things like, "But I am a doctor!!" And I kept refusing, saying, "No, I love Shaun!" ( who is actually my boyfriend in rl)

This went on for a few minutes, he being adamant and I refusing and then that was it. That was the end of the dream.

The next day I had to go to a post office not far from home and when I was walking across the parking lot, a man was unloading things from the back of a postal truck. I looked at him and it was the very same man from the dream. I mean the exact same, not someone who resembled the restaurant man. It was actually him. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw his face.

( I did my postal things and left and then didn't see the man again)

Now, I only have one regular mailman, and he looks nothing like the man in the dream so it is not like the dream-guy delivered mail to me and I remembered him.

Very strange, I thought.

interesting post redhead666. I occasionally have dreams that contain some element of the future in them. Most recently i dreamed i was scratching scratchcards with my dead grandfather. I played two the next day, and won £13 on one (lost on the other), then played one tha day after, and won £6!

I do play a scratchcard on average once a week, with occasional phases of buying more or less than that, depending on how 'lucky' i feel.

The dream left me with a strong sense of 'luckiness', and happiness at having seen my grandad again. He was always very generous, so maybe he was pointing me in the direction of some fun money!

Whats really odd is he never played the lottery.

Do you keep a dream diary at all? I don't but if you regulary experience predictive dreams it could be useful (personally i have enough trouble getting out of bed in the morning let alone holding a pen :lol: )

Ravenstone said:
I've dreamed Formula One Grand Prixs before. Even down to wheels coming off, the results, and a specific driver in a specific car crashing.

so have I actually, and usually they're considerably more exciting than the real thing! During the Chinese GP last weekend, and I think for the first time ever, I nodded off mid-race. I dreamt that there were two track invaders in lilac raincoats running hand in hand down the start-finish straight and saw the cars going off trying to avoid them, I saw a camera close up of Alonso's leading car hitting the wall, spinning and ripping its wheels off and remember thinking "sh*t I hope he's okay" and being really shocked. When I woke up it took a few mins to register; I knew I'd fallen asleep but it took until I saw Alonso still leading the race to realise that I'd dreamt all that stuff.

The other day I remember waking up and hearing on the radio "the music industry is today reeling after the sudden death of [a semi-famous singer I probably shouldn't name]". I thought 'woah, that's a shocker' and on my way into work that morning couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm not a fan of the singer, and I'd barely registered their existance before, but it shocked me.

Then I checked on the internet and found there was nothing about it. It had seemed to real, was amazed.

I've only ever had one dream that came true (so far, anyway).

When I was a teenager, I had an extremely vivid dream that I was having sex with a beautiful dark haired older woman. It was highly unusual in that it wasn't simply about the physical sensations that generally come with these kinds of dreams, there was a highly emotive element to it that I certainly didn't have in my life at the time. To the best of my recollection, I was about 13 or 14.

When I was 27, I met the only woman I've ever been in love with (so far, anyway). From the first time I met her, I thought I knew her from somewhere else, but conversation proved that otherwise. About 6 months afterward, we started dating. About 6 months after that, she grew her hair long and dyed it dark brown (she had been blonde). The first time I saw her after the dye job, I recognized her as the woman in my adolescent dream!!

Unfortunately, no happy ending here...we broke up about 4 yrs. later. Still freaks me out, though!!

Bobzilla - That is the sort of thing which makes me wonder what, if anything, the point of precognition is... It seems so significant, especially if it only happens to you once or twice, and then it goes nowhere!

Aarauer said:
Bobzilla - That is the sort of thing which makes me wonder what, if anything, the point of precognition is... It seems so significant, especially if it only happens to you once or twice, and then it goes nowhere!

Agreed. Not only that, but there definitely wasn't any immediacy about the dream...I mean, what's the point of having the dream 13 or so yrs. before I meet this woman?

Back