• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Levitating / Flying Within A Dream

A

Anonymous

I have a recurring dream (one of several) where I can fly. It is great - I can fly like Superman, control my descent, feel the wind rushing past me, fly really close to the ground or soar high up into the clouds. It always gives me such a thrill to think about it because it is such a good feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people believe that when you dream of flying you're remembering what it felt like to be of spirit! Perhaps a memory of when you moved from your previous life to the one you are in now... I have the same sort of dream where you are so sure that if you could fly then this would be what it would feel like! And it's like I feel what it was like to fly!

I do believe that it's just a distant memory of being of spirit!

Hope that helps!

I had a vivid dream of flying in which i was stood straight but the wrong way round(head at the bottom end).I have no experience of doing either.

I believe that these dreams were you realise you are dreaming and then manipulate the experience can be beneficial in some way.In the past when i have recognised a crazy situation in a dream I have 'conciously' thought 'That can't be right,it must be a dream.well if this is a dream I can do what i want' invariably i fly straight into the air and fly for a few seconds before the feeling of being concious actually wakes me up.

I did make a break through the other night though whilst dreaming i was swimming through a department store and then I had to get changed at some lockers.It was awkward because of a large muddy puddle where I was stood.So I conciously thought 'I don't even need to bother since this is a dream i can get all my clothes on and be dry in less than one second' then what do you know i was fully dressed.my shoes though remained wet due to being in the puddle.i actually willed them dry and could feel them getting warmer,then I went about my business in the dream without coming to.

My take on the flying thing is not the spirit thing.i believe that the flying is a journey and more notice should be taken of where it is in the dream we have taken off from and where we land.
Like if i were to fly a plane the first few goes would be 'wow I'm flying' to a greater degree I would take more notice of the instruments and blinking lights as time passed after I was used to the actual thrill of flying...and in the same way i think that what we fly over and what we see and how we feel as we go are the important factors to look at.
When babies take their first steps they are for the sake of taking steps.with practice they end up going 'somewhere'

The problem I have with 'remembering' what it was like to be a spirit is that i cannot recall dreaming at any point in the last 10 years were I was an embryo for instance.This spirit thing seems a little romantacised.Like when people are regressed and it turns out they were cleopatra andnot the slave who shoveled the bad stuff round the back of cleopatras privvy.

It is a nice thought though that we have some fun flying around and being spirits

I don't tend to have flying dreams (the majority of mine seem to involve lots of death and violence :err: ), but one I do remember involved me having a huge pair of blue feathered wings. I spent the entire dream trying to learn how to fly (I distinctly remember cursing the fact I didn't have a tail and so couldn't steer right :p), and after many crash landings by the end of the dream I had taught myself how to fly.

To be honest I think most flying dreams are just down to an active imagination (unless it turns out I was in fact a bird or an angel in a past life). You could see them as symbolic though...at the risk of sounding like a bad psychiatrist, it's the subconscious' way of telling you you can aim higher and reach your highest goals, or that you can rise above everything.

Personally I'm going for the active imagination thing :D

I dreamt I could fly once, very vividly. I couldn't fly very high, but I can still remember hovering down some stairs. I wasn't very stable and I kept starting to sink down too fast, but I got to the bottom of the stairs without touching them.

And when I woke up I could almost, almost remember how to do it. It felt very familiar, but I just couldn't quite reach it.

Days later - really, it stayed with me - I suddenly had one of those eureka moments and it hit me...

Turns out that flying is exactly like swimming in the Mario games.

I was really quite disappointed to discover the dream's origins, as for a while I was half-convinced that if I could just remember properly I'd really be able to fly.

When I was a kid I used to have this recurring dream of floating rather than flying.I seemed to be floating along over something like telephone wires and there was a constant low humming noise.It wasn't a very pleasant sensation

I do love flying dreams, if I am in any situation in a dream where I'm being attacked or menaced in some way, I'll fly,( that's obviously my subconcious, sod fighting, just run away from the situation! ) sometimes it's quite hard to get of the ground but once I'm up, I'm up, I do control events in my dreams, which is enjoyable.
I dreamed once of flying over a range of snow capped mountains as the sun was coming up, it was spectacular and beautiful I could feel the icy air and see the snow-plumes coming from the peaks , I never have been in an aircraft but from shots of aircraft flying over the Himalayas I've seen on the tv since, it looked very realistic. The feeling was so free it was glorious, with no fear of heights, either.

I don't know why, but everytime that I have dreamed about flying it was exactly like swimming, only in the air instead of the water. It was also SO realistic I would wake up feeling like it must be possible to fly because it was SO easy in my dream. I do not dream about flying often, but everytime that I have it has been just plain creepy how realistic it was.

I remember when I first started having flying dreams and I was a much poorer flyer then.
After many years of dream flights I've evolved from flapping to swimming motion to finally just willing it like I'm following my mind's pull like a magnet.
I find I'm far more likely to have a flying dream if I'm under stress or sleeping during the day. Either way I think it's because your mind is not fully at rest and you are conscious enough to control aspects of your dream.
Flying dreams are indeed very exhilirating and leave me with that same feeling you all describe,that you really can do it and you really have experienced it.
I'm sure it sounds a bit silly,but I've actually tried while awake to just float up and soar as I have in my dreams.
Luckily I've never launched myself from a building to see if I could fly.
I have felt that sensation that you feel (while awake) just before you actually take off,unfortunately it seems that while you're awake your body keeps you grounded.
Perhaps the flight we experience is indeed real,just as real but just as intangible as our souls are. And we can only experience it when our spirit is not so tightly bound to the mind and body as while we are awake.

That is definetly an interesting theory. It makes a lot of sense to me because, like you said, the feeling of actually flying is so realistic. It makes much more sense than it just being another old dream.
BTW, that is an awesome picture you have under your name.

From what I've read of "Life on the Other Side", a book by the psychic,Sylvia Browne we can materialize things,take flight,and even change our appearance at will while we are "living" on the Other Side.
I have heard of impressive accounts of mediums and yogis performing feats of materializations and levitation on this side.
Even one account (unverified) of a man in centuries past who regularly took short flights and landed in a tree.
Also,if you've ever experienced telepathy in which you form a picture or thought in your mind and send it to another person you'll know that willing something can indeed make it so.
Those thoughts and images although intangible still can make their way into the physical realm of the brain.

BTW,the picture under my name is some type of gecko.

I remember reading about that guy from a long time ago who could fly too.
Also, I just read the book The Amityville Horror (I just found out recently that it is supposed to be a true story) and in the book they levitated sometimes while they were sleeping. Near the end of the book both the husband and wife levitated. The wife went back down to the bed first and the husband saw her and figured it must be a dream or something until she shouted that he was levitating. :eek!!!!:

So, does anybody else only ever dream of flying about five or six feet off the ground, at a leisurely 20 miles per hour, and in a sitting position?

Thought not.

I don't care, it may be unambitious and not as spectactular as the usual Superman style, but it's less effort, easier to see where you're going as long as you're not in a hurry to extinguish a volcano on another continent, and I expect it causes less pollution.

Lymeswold Snork said:
So, does anybody else only ever dream of flying about five or six feet off the ground, at a leisurely 20 miles per hour, and in a sitting position?
Do you sit Indian style when you do it? And, I might as well ask, on a carpet?

I sometimes dream of walking or running about two inches off the ground ,which is probably the ultimate in low-level flight.

BTW: great avatar.:)

Oftentimes in my dreams I'm hovering around everone else rather than soaring.
I can't say for certain that I've ever had a flying dream in which someone other than myself could fly also.
Anyone fly with a partner? Or is this the nature of flying dreams?

There's often an element of danger that I'm able to escape by flying and there's often the fear of flying too high.

Sometimes I float just above the floor and sometimes I can feel my head just scraping the ceiling.
More of just gliding around than actual flight.

I also glide more than fly in dreams. To get from room to room I might make a little leap and soar through. Sometimes my feet will start to go over my head and I'll have to hold onto things to stay down like an astronaut in weightless space.

short answer to all our "flyers"......you are out of body enjoying astral travelling...........you can direct where you go with practice.(ie: dont freak out )........have a fat time and enjoy.

The oddest flying dream I had was to do with a rabbit we had.
It lived outside in a hutch and whatever we did it would be out in the morning.
I dreamt that I flew out of the house and hovered above the backyard. A black and white rabbit came and pulled the hutch door till it opened and our rabbit got out. Then in the dream I glided back to bed. After that I sat up and went outsde and it was just like I had dreamed. My family came out with me as they heard me get up. Next day we found it's hiding place in the bushes and gave it to my daughter's friend as it was another male.

I've had the flying dream a few times - sometimes it feels quite an effort to keep aloft and I have to make a conscious effort to stay flying - usually involves flapping arms.

Bannik said:
Do you sit Indian style when you do it? And, I might as well ask, on a carpet?

(Flying in dreams, that is, in case the context of this question has got lost now I've got round to replying to it :) )

No, either as though I was on an invisible chair, or with my legs stretched out in front of me more as though I was driving an invisible go-kart.

And that's a good point some of the other posters have made - nobody else in the dream can ever fly, can they? It never seems particularly remarkable that I can myself, though, it's just like nobody else is trying.

Aren't these just the best dreams?

Whenever this happens, it's usually the same sensory experience, I find. Kind of like Superman rather than flying on wings. Funny also how it never seems to surprise any of the dream characters around you, almost like it's normal; and it feels so completely natural, almost like an innate ability.

Does anyone else find, however, that they have very poor direction control when flying? At the same time speed control never seems to be an issue. Every time I dream of flying, I find this happens, even when the dream is lucid.

Makes you wonder if we have a bizarre flight control area of our brains, lying dormant and under-used. Forget the aquatic ape, what about the flying ape theory?

Now I know where the Wizard of Oz was coming from.

the only ever flying dream I have ever had was not very fun...I was in some weird place where all the houses were up on these tall narrow spikes of rock and everyone just flew up to them as needed. I decided I wanted to visit my friends house so I started running a bit (youve got to get a running start right?) then I took off...the only trouble was flying actually took work, lots of it. I could feel myself fighting gravity and I consequently could not get more than 2 meters off the ground before giving up and trying again. I never was able to manage it, and I got so frustrated when I couldnt and everyone else in the dream was happily zipping all over the place. The dreams that you make you so frustrated that you wake up in a bad mood are the worst, even worse than a nightmare for me because they can potentially ruin my whole day.

I used to have flying dreams when i was at school where i would float up to the ceiling during a lesson and my head would seem to be lodged in the tiles. I also have a recuring flying dream that i am flying over an endless wood where a weird creature is running. I know it's waiting for me to land and every so often i have to land to rest/build up my power to fly, or something. It's always a close shave.

still dreaming

Sorry to drag you all back to the flying dreams topic, but you've managed to make me feel very inadequate. When I leave the ground in dreams it's as if either gravity has lost its hold on me, or some unseen forces plucks me from the earth in a violent manner. I have no control over altitude or direction. As you can imagine, this isn't very pleasant. Fear and nauseating vertigo are what I feel, and there seems to be a tiny strand of my conscious mind saying "Hey, not fair! Every other bugger gets wings". Now, don't get me started on the milkfloat I was driving last night as I was pursued by pterodactyls...

When I dream about flying it begins as soaring, but as I become aware that it's a dream, I start having to take running starts to be able to take off into the air. Soon, the flying is merely hovering, and then I am completely grounded. Each time as I am scrambling to keep the ability to fly, I search intently for a body of water. Apparently, the law in my dreaming is that being over water charges flying ability.

lap hip is not alone

finally! someone that has described the 'running start' and hovering that i experience in my flying dreams!

i mean, i really have to dig in sometimes when running, like an animal with claws, then i leap and i can hover 3 to 5 feet above the ground for maybe a mile or less before i have to do it all over again. alot of times, i'm running along side a small, rural highway, and then hover over the road like i'm a car. never any cars around, luckily. i believe i have skimmed a few ponds too.
i don't fly too high very often, sometimes over the trees, usually resulting in realizing how high i am and falling. for the most part, i just hover, and that in itself is quite relaxing. ...which is why i'm trying to afford a scooter or small motorbike, i want to feel that freedom in my waking life as well!

(Hi all, 1st post here too :) )

The hovering dream is earily similar to a dream I have a lot.
I can't fly but I can jump really far, not high, just far.
In most of these dreams I tend to be on rooftops leaping from one building to the next.

Flying Dreams

When I was small I used to dream about creating a formula that would enable me to fly. In my dream I could remember the exact chemicals, but when I awoke - alas, they were gone. I do remember that it looked and tasted a lot like chocolate milk :D

I would drink it and float around. I could glide down easily and I could turn right and left, etc. Floating up and gaining speed was more difficult. I could gain altitude slowly or I could dive down, then pull out of the dive, and go higher than I had started. This is what I had to do in order to achieve any serious height. Without diving, I could only climb to about treetop level, by diving first I could reach. . .well, any height I wanted I guess.

One of the things I have always thought interesting about the "dreams" was the "physics" involved. Assuming Dream, my mind had decided what was possible and didn't waver, and I had these "dreams" often. Very often.

Back