• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

I dreamt I was explaining a complex benefits calculation to a couple (and I was doing it all correctly, quoting statutes and doing calculations) who became abusive and violent. I was on the telephone to them, but we were in the same room (go figure!). Then they chucked a pot full of boiling coffee over me. So I ran out to go to the doctors but on the way I was going to stop off to speak to a reporter about something. The office was in a collection of old Victorian style brick buildings (very well maintained) and I passed a coach station, lots of foreign exchange students, a post office and eventually ended up on a train. I would have had to walk through the train to get to the ticket station, but before I could, the train set off. I knew I had a ticket, but the only one I could find in my pocket was an old one, at which point I remembered leaving the train ticket on the dressing table. The ticket collector was coming around, and I thought I could buy one off her, but they I remembered there had been a change in the law and there was an automatic fine of £150 for not having a ticket, plus the cost of the ticket.

Then I woke up.

fluffle said:
a. don't eat cheese before bed time.

Don't eat anything before going to bed. It can make you ill (speaking from personal experience here).

Mythopoeika said:
Don't eat anything before going to bed. It can make you ill (speaking from personal experience here).

how can it make you ill? not challenging you, just curious. and how soon before going to bed do you mean?

I just got a note from The Dream Project saying I'd been added to their Google Group:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/thedreamproject

I do remember dropping a dream into them a long time ago and they seem to be throwing together a fancy site and going for a (re)launch:

www.thedreamproject.org

www.thedreamproject.org/content/news/

I'm not sure if I bumped into them via here or what but I thought I'd throw it in.

They still seem to be aiming at interpretting people's dreams in artistic ways, etc. Might prove interesting.

Eating before bed, yup, my father calls nightmares 'cheese dreams' and when we were kids and had nightmares he'd insist that we must have had cheese for supper. As we never ate after about 7pm it seems unlikely. :?

My son once ordered a pizza for me which arrived at midnight, long after I'd gone to bed ready for a 7am shift. He plonked it on my chest and I sat up, ate it and went back to a deep and dreamless sleep. 8)

My dreams are usually vivid and chaotic, but difficult to explain. The feelings remain with me, though, when I try to remember the details.

However, I've had some good ones over the years.

Once while suffering post-traumatic stress after a mugging, I had a dream (I won't tell the whole thing) that involved a similar crime, ending with me calling the police and talking with them, but hearing nothing on the phone (like seeing a phone conversation on TV, where you only hear one side of the conversation - I had my ear to the phone but only heard what I was saying). That was when I woke up for good - I had awakened about 3 or 4 times during the dream, tried to stay awake, but fell back into it and it picked up where it left off! I realized at the end that my mind really was trying to work through the fact that the main source of my trauma (IRL) was the lack of concern on the part of the police!

Another interesting dream I had once was that I was unloading bodies from the back of a truck (semi-type), some dead, some still living, and apparently we were triaging - in such dire straits that those who were still alive but considered dying were just put in body bags and stacked with the deceased! I was horrified, of course, and so when I pulled out this person who seemed to be still alive, I asked questions, trying to prove she was still conscious. I remember she replied, very faintly, that her name was Josephine (I think that was it) but they still - despite my ardent protests! - put her in a body bag. I looked over and saw a lot of those bags conforming to the faces of the people inside - according to the logic of my dream, this meant that they were still alive and their breath made the fabric supple so it conformed to the shape of their face. That was when I woke up.

Two more if you will humor me.

This one is fairly typical, but it had an interesting effect. I was in some seemingly millitary setting (camped but not under seige or anything) when suddenly I found myself running - hiding - from a gunman. I remember running through fields, in and out of abandoned buildings (long and narrow), and hiding in parts of the buildings. For some reason, ever since that dream, I can't watch re-runs of M*A*S*H*! I love that show, but when it comes on, I start feeling creepy and nauseous. Weird, huh?

The final dream is my favorite ever. It was last summer while I was visiting a friend in Pennsylvania.

I saw this small, dim room where about 4 or 5 middle-aged men in suits (I was struck with the impression of Jerry Fallwell, so I think they were meant to be folks of his ilk) were sitting around not talking. Suddenly, Jesus walked through the door and said, "OK, I'm here to take you to heaven. Looks like you're the only ones going!" And the men, emotionless (as if this were completely matter-of-fact for them), started gathering their things and getting up out of their seats, when Jesus said, "Just kidding! Everyone else is already there!" And I woke up. Laughing, of course! (PS - I am a Christian of universalist bent, and "everyone" in the dream literally meant "everyone" - which is why I love that dream!)

I had a proper odd dream this morning.

For some reason, me and a friend decided to cycle from Oxfordshire to High Wycombe, but the way we went wasn't anything like the way to Wycombe. We passed through a quiet suburban estate, full of bungalows, and when we came to a kind of crossroads, we paused for what seemed quite a while. Ahead was one of those white signposts you find in small villages - on the left arrow it had the names of two obscure villages, and Poole in Dorset at the bottom. To the right it had the names of two other obscure villages. No sign of Wycombe. And Poole is a fair distance from Oxfordshire. So we decided to turn right, and just up ahead the road split off, like a Y shape. The right hand trail seemed to go on for a while to nowhere special whereas there seemed to be stuff on the left trail, so I decided to follow that route.

We hadn't travelled far when we got to a dead end, with a normal sized portacabin plonked in it. We chose to investigate, probably to ask for directions as we were, at this point, properly lost. Inside it was like a small bookies, although an upmarket one, with plush comfy seating around static tables on one side (much like the little cubicles you get in some pubs or clubs), and a couple of small circular tables and chairs on the other, with some fruities at the fair end. My mate scooted off and entered a 'Staff Only' door to find someone to speak to, leaving me in this littleish room by myself.

I had a look around, and noticed that there were two TV screens fixed to the ceiling, both of them positioned over the comfy area. On the right hand one, I could see myself, as if the two screens were showing CCTV, but it was a perfectly clear picture, almost digital quality. I was being shot from behind, and I could see almost all of me (bar my ankles and feet) and the seating in front of me. But right behind me on the opposite wall was nothing to suggest a camera was there, not even mirrors to hide them in some Big Brother fashion. Then I realised there was a ghastly looking guy sat in the comfy seating right in front of me, but I couldn't see him in real life - he was just on the TV screen, as if invisible to the human eye. He was staring at me, like I had disturbed him or something, and motioned to get up. I moved away, and as I did so I saw more people on the TV screen, sat on these comfy seats, all ghoulish looking - and all staring at me. I pulled away to find that there was nothing around me, but on the screens I could see I was now surrounded by these things.... horrible ghastly looking people that held out their clammy hands in an attempt to claim me. Once they had me I could feel the coldness of their grasp all over me!

The people reminded me of the spooks in the '62 version of Carnival of Souls, if that helps anyone. I remember then waking up with a start and I couldn't get back to sleep - everytime I thought about them it would give me the chills and stop me from falling back to sleep. So I ended up just getting up and coming to work half an hour earlier than usual....

Had several sailing dreams last night, probably triggered by some discussion on the Ellen thread, and also part of a novel I'm reading where a bloke sailed a small boat to Dunkirk to help rescue the BEF...

But in a couple of the dreams, I was on boats I used to own, but in the dream I still owned them, and felt guilty about neglecting them, and worried that I must get round to putting them on sale. An anxiety dream about something else no doubt...

One surrealistic aspect was that one of the boats, a 16' sloop, in the dream also had three squaresail yards! :shock:

I had a dream that there was another bedroom in this house, and it was somehow cursed or evil and hadn't been gone into in years. It was musty and dirty but I liked it because it had old-fashioned furniture in it and was considering moving into it. There was a closet with a mirrored door and I bumped into the doorjamb while looking in the mirror at myself(I had on a white sleeping gown and long hair..neither of which I have right now) and it turned out there was a button on the doorjamb that would make a hidden camera snap a picture, although it wasn't very hidden, it had a flashbulb. I couldn't figure out what it was at first. Then I left the room to tell my mom and suddenly I discovered that a button I hadn't previously noticed on my clothing suddenly had turned into a tape recorder(What the hell?). I was astonished that the amazing photographic closet door had the power to turn my button into a recorder and played with it for a few minutes before going back into the room. I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to stay in it. I opened the closet and poked around, there were old clothes that literally fell apart when I touched them.
Then the dream kind of shifted tone, my dad(who looked nothing like my dad in real life) came in and I complained about the attic for some reason, he opened the attic door and a chest-of-drawers/dresser thing came flying out and nearly hit me. I screamed "YAY!" and applauded when it hit the floor(Again, what the hell?). The piece of furniture was painted amateurishly with flames. I then proceeded to hide a letter I had apparently been writing the whole while(?) to a fictional game character(Megaman/Rockman for those who are curious). I had suddenly realized he wasn't real and sending fanmail was of no use. I then woke up.
My god, my subconscious is immensely stupid.

I had a funny dream once (about 5 or 6 years ago) that was really probably just sleep-side of a night hag experience.

In my dream, I was lying, paralyzed, feeling the presence of forces of good and evil in the room. The balance kept shifting: the room would feel more evil, then more good. The funny part is when I sensed overwhelmingly the force of good, I could hear music from David Bowie's Low album! :lol: See, David Bowie is a force for good.

The dream ended when suddenly the room went neutral - neither good or evil - and empty and cold (not chilly, just void of heat), and I had an urge to turn my head to look up, as if there was something above me, but I was afraid to. Then I woke up. I wonder what I would have seen?

LOL! I love the "Bowie album being used as a holy weapon against evil" motif!

Strange dream last night: I was out walking when I happened to pass by the Hollywood actor James Cromwell, and I said "Happy birthday" to him, as it was his birthday recently. He cheerfully said he'd forgotten about that, and thought I'd be better off asking him about the end of the world, which he knew about. Unfortunately I picked that moment to wake up and didn't get the chance to ask more. Typical.

Need help with a dream interpretation...

Hello Everyone,

I had an extremely strange and disturbing dream last night and a went hunting on the internet for a satisfactory interpretation, with no luck. I hope someone here can help.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I dreamed I was in a car. I was in the back seat, behind the passenger. The driver and the passenger are now a blur, so I don't know who I was in the car with and the person next to me was there, but not there. Like not even noticeable. I noticed I was stepping on something on the floor and I remember asking what is on the floor. The driver reached down and picked up a dead rabbit to which I flinched. The driver proceeded to tease me with this dead white rabbit, which he (I remember the driver being a male), held by the ears and when I looked down, the entire back of the car, all over the floor was covered with dead white rabbits. It was a scary dream and I need it interpreted because it is bothering me. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

WW

Well, rabbits are basically a fertility symbol aren't they? Like the Easter Bunny, or 'at it like rabbits'.
The fact that not only are they all dead, but a man is taunting you about it makes me not really want to tell you what my interpretation of this dream is, in case you shoot the messenger ;)

Hey, maybe I should do this for a job! :devil:

What do rabbits mean to you?Are you trying to get pregnant Or trying to avoid getting pregnant?

there's something you are are not in control of - you re not in the driving seat.

General Dream Interpretation: just my opinion

WW,
That is a freaky dream! I hope you figure out what it means for you.

I had a "dream interpretation" book, and felt that the explanations in it were too vague, or too "mainstream" for me. I'm a little odd, a little away from the mainstream, and have my own way of looking at life. I felt that the dream interpretations in the book did not match the imagery-to-meaning for my own life.

So, take the explanations with a knowledge that you know yourself the best, and that the offered suggestions could take in the right direction, if they are not the exact explanation.

That being said, I think your dream means that there has been some magic (white bunnies = magic) in your life, but that it's been receding, and that you are just realizing how far away it is. I agree with the "driver" being in control, and not you. Your mind might be making a friend, relative, or concept the driver. (Concept being "fate is in control" or "God is in control" although it's hard to see God teasing you, your subconscious might feel that way)

I hope that helps, but if not, take care, you are unique and your dreams mean something to you deep inside, even if your conscious mind can't understand the meaning.

I had a dream that I was a woman last night. In the dream, it all seemed quite normal, and I was brushing my hair in the mirror (she didn't look like a woman version of me, it was a totally different face). It was only after a while just walking around and doing normal stuff that it clicked that there was something not quite right, and then I woke up. It was quite vivid, and I recall the mundanity of it all until the realisation hit me.

What on Earth was that all about then? Memories of a past life? Feminine side expressing itself? VQ being a bad influence?? ;)

I mean, if it was related to the pub conversation 'if you were a woman for a day what would you do?' and then cue suggestions of assorted erotic acts that you'd indulge in for 24 hours then I should imagine it would have been quite an erotic experience! However, it was just so... bland!

Hello Everyone,

I have no idea who the driver was. The identity is a blur and NO-I am not trying to get pregnant!!!
The funny (or should I say, Strange) thing is that that dream was the first of many dreams I have been having for the passed few nights that are clearer and stranger than usual. So it's definitely a pattern. I just can't figure out what.

WW

Dream

I dreamed I was in a car. I was in the front seat, driving. The passenger is now a blur, so I don't know who she was. All I know is this bloody woman in the back kept moaning about the rubbish in my car. I held up an old tissue and told her not to worry about it but she was a right miserable old bugger. Went absolutely hysterical, kept mumbling about Rabbits and screaming at the junk on the back seat! To much cheese before bedtime no doubt!

I had a weird dream last night:

my brother was looking at a pudding/trifle that seemed to have a child's toy house dropped in it. Then I noticed a couple of children's wooden blocks just floating across the room all by themselves. One landed on a ledge by the fireplace. This was very frightening, and I called out to my mother, but she didn't seem to hear or notice... :shock:

The fact that my brother and mother were in this dream seems to link it to some childhood memory - but of what? Some imagined incident? Or a suppressed paranormal experience...?

Eeek!

Rynner, I often revert to former familial states in dreams. I think the unconscious has a default mode which is the family you had when you first became aware of the concept; or at lease habituated synapses that restore long-standing life situations when freed from sensory output.

I've finally stopped dreaming every single night, as I have been (probably because stress makes me a lighter sleeper than usual and it's been a stressful year) and begun to forget during the day ones that I remembered on waking. Excuse me if I've already talked about this.

The most vivid dreams occurred in the first couple of days after my husband went into the emergency room, completely dehydrated, which was also the first week after the tsunami. Water's been a big thing. In the most vivid and memorable, I came home from the hospital to find the bathtub full of water and my cat Thai quietly sitting in water over her head, watching the drain as if it were a mousehole. I snatched her out and held her upside down and squeezed her. Because she's white, I could see the water level go down in her, exactly as in an IV drip.

The second most vivid involvd an enormous LARP, in which my gaming group was attacked by another in the middle of a Renfaire type festival. It was all in good fun, of course, but the attackers overdid the physrep for their water attack and produced a huge wall of real water. I had to throw myself on top of my friend's baby to keep her from getting washed away. Once my friend and the baby were safely away, I acted in persona to creep into the enemy base to spy on them; unfortunately, they kicked our butts so hard that, even though I persuaded the enemies who saw me that I was just a harmless servant, by the time I returned to report, our side was completely gone. I had to walk home alone in the snow, in costume. We've had no snow and this as before the anamolous snowfalls south of us.

I don't think it takes a dream interpreter to make sense of these - water, strife, futile striving against impossible odds - given both the news stories and my personal life at the time. The friend with the baby had to go to the emergency room with stomach flu. The friend who runs the LARP followed the ambulance to the hospital so she could take me home, then three days later was in the hospital herself. For a time it seemed I was the only one I knew who was well enough to deal with the crises that kept popping up.

Another weird dream last night (it may be something to do with this bad cold I have - I've mentioned elsewhere how a cold leaves me spaced-out and nostalgic).

In the dream I was in a familiar place, by an estuary (although unlike any real one I know). The weather was very changeable, fine and sunny at one time, then big black storm clouds quickly came over. These clouds started to develop mini tornadoes, and one of them grew until it was about to touch down on the floating HQ of a sailing centre. But then the Tornado turned into a UFO or something very odd and colourful.

The UFO resembled a big colourful umbrella, with tassles dangling from it (rather reminiscent of the sort of things you see carried in processions in India and elsewhere) and the long lower part of the tornado 'funnel' was also brightly coloured and intricately faceted. Or perhaps the thing resembled a huge jellyfish, although it did not seem organic.

I grabbed my digital camera and snapped off several shots, thinking I'd be able to sell these pics for a fortune! (Although there were lots of other people about, and perhaps they had cameras too...)

A very vivid, moving dream.

Last night I dreamed that my young work-mate had taken some photos in rain, and was amazed at all the 'orbs' in them.... :roll:

I was trying to explain to him, with diagrams, that they were simply out-of-focus raindrops, close to the camera and illuminated by the flash...

For once, I can guess the origin of this dream - I was watching the rugby yesterday, which was sponsored by the Royal Bank of Scotland. Their logo, painted on the pitch, is a thing something like an asterisk, followed by their initials -

*RBS - which I kept seeing as ORBS!

Last night I had a dream that the devil lurked in my mother's bedroom closet. He was in the guise of a sadistic old man (a la Stephen Kings "BLACK HOUSE"). My stepfather and I were the only ones who knew how to defeat him...something to do with smashing false idols (?). Well, the devil came out of the closet which had no door, because he kept busting it down and we couldn't put it back in. He stabbed my stepfather and then chased me. I am telling you all: NEVER EAT CHOCOLATE ICECREAM BEFORE BED~!!!~

WW

rynner said:
which was sponsored by the Royal Bank of Scotland. Their logo, painted on the pitch, is a thing something like an asterisk, followed by their initials -

*RBS - which I kept seeing as ORBS!

The 'asterisk' is usually refered to internally within RBOS as the cat's arse, usually by Natwest people who were slightly miffed by the takeover.

Heckler said:
The 'asterisk' is usually refered to internally within RBOS as the cat's arse, usually by Natwest people who were slightly miffed by the takeover.
Thank you for that little gem - you never know when that might come in a pub quiz! :lol:

i've had three dreams about my hair this week. one night i dyed it pink, then the next i cut it (after losing some in an argument with mrs timmons off neighbours, while i was playing the part of scott timmons (yes i know that's a male part and i'm a woman)), then in the next dream i was styling it, and had a big flower or hat or something on it. what does dreaming about hair mean?

Okay, I just read that hair dreams imply vanity. Hope this helps. Or not.
Not saying you are vain, but maybe you love your hair...a lot. Or maybe this interpretation is just rubbish.

WW

I wasn't sure which forum to pop this into, so I'll try it in here.

A few monhs ago, I thought it would be a good idea to record some of my dreams, to see if there was any correllation between them or if they were just random nonsense. I meditated in bed, sometimes to the encore of snoring next to me, and relaxed so that if I had a dream, I would feel more comfortable moving around in it and remember it when I awoke.

The dreams I had were odd but nothing major, usually my insertion into favourite TV programs which changed like the weather, nonsensical things really. The only difference was that they were more vivid than usual, and I remembered more about them when I awoke. THere was also the occasional one that woke me up at night, obviously my subconcious mind dealing with something.

After a while, the dreams got more odd, nightmarish almost, but usually with point. People from my past appeared in them, I was made to do more and more peculiar things (at one point I was sewing heads onto bodies, orders given to me from a terrorist businessman, always to the body on the left not the right as these were his enemies and it was a sign of disrespect. This was still not a nightmare).

This culminated in a dream of two doors, one of which was open, the other closed. They were both red doors with gold ornamentation, a bit like a Morrocan picture frame but with no discernable symbols. The open door slammed shut, and a big loud voice shouted "THIS IS CLOSED TO YOU NOW". Since then, I haven't had a single dream of note and I've felt a tremendous sense of loss. I feel cheated, like someone has stopped me (for no apparent reason) from doing somethng I enjoyed doing. I've tried using visualisation techniques to open the other door, which has remained firmly closed.

Back