• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

razorblimp: I've moved this over to the main dreams thread.

I think I may have mentioned it but I had a good chat with Timble about this kind of thing at the last UnCon - I'm sure he will pop in with better input but he did recommend taking a break every now and again to stop yourself getting weirded out.

I don't imagine you've somehow lost your dreams (which would be weird) but perhaps if you stopped thinking about it too much it'll all come back.

Any changes in your life that might have disrupted your sleeping patterns?

I think the mind can sometimes throw up such barriers when there's something that the unconscious thinks that you can't presently handle. It's a defense mechanism, the opposite of your unconscious prodding you and trying to get you to notice something.

I remember a dream I has once that was disturbing to say the least.

I was waiting in a queue for the cinema, when some dwarf (with a big beard etc.) came up to me and said "hello, I'm your subconscious. And I think you're a twat."

:shock:

The dream became lucid at this point, and I tried to kill the beardy git with a hammer I magiced up, but he just kept laughing, and pointed out that you can't kill your subconscious. And he was right. :cry:

I've got a lot better since then, so I hope my psyche doesn't think so badly about me anymore. :lol:

Emperor said:
razorblimp: I've moved this over to the main dreams thread.
Thanks. I almost asked where, but caught myself.

Emperor said:
I think I may have mentioned it but I had a good chat with Timble about this kind of thing at the last UnCon - I'm sure he will pop in with better input but he did recommend taking a break every now and again to stop yourself getting weirded out.

I don't imagine you've somehow lost your dreams (which would be weird) but perhaps if you stopped thinking about it too much it'll all come back.

I haven't actually lost my dreams. They just aren't as clear as they were, and the abilty to recall them has also faded.

Emperor said:
Any changes in your life that might have disrupted your sleeping patterns?
:D
Nope, I'm used to my wife snoring. The truth is, I found mysef out of work about a year ago, and since then I've worked for myself. I'm getting the best sleep ever.
GiantRobot said:
I think the mind can sometimes throw up such barriers when there's something that the unconscious thinks that you can't presently handle. It's a defense mechanism, the opposite of your unconscious prodding you and trying to get you to notice something.

I was waiting in a queue for the cinema, when some dwarf (with a big beard etc.) came up to me and said "hello, I'm your subconscious. And I think you're a twat."

:shock:

The dream became lucid at this point, and I tried to kill the beardy git with a hammer I magiced up, but he just kept laughing, and pointed out that you can't kill your subconscious. And he was right. :cry:

I've got a lot better since then, so I hope my psyche doesn't think so badly about me anymore. :lol:

Interesting. I went to a lifecoach a couple of years ago, and he tried to get me to understand my 'darkside', pointing me in the direction of Jung. This has got a lot to do with my interest in Osman Spare now, but the dream recall tester was interesting while it lasted. I'd never really thought of the doors being protection for me. I'd just been seeing it as being left out of something.
All those years of being picked last in 5 a side footy at school scarred me... :lol:

I really love Jung, I think he's very, very useful. It's helped me no end.

These days I try to pay full attention to my unconscious and to what it's doing, and also to fully recognise and accept your Shadow (or 'personal Hitler' as a friend calls it). In the past there probably were parts of me I couldn't accept, but I think I have a much stronger sense of self (odd, for a Buddhist ;)) and can happily deal with my latent homicidal tendancies and all that subconscious crap. :lol:

GiantRobot said:
I think I have a much stronger sense of self (odd, for a Buddhist ;))and can happily deal with my latent homicidal tendancies and all that subconscious crap. :lol:

A sense of self is possible without having the ego get in the way.

I'm at ease with all aspects of my psyche and listen attentively to my inner demons. They often speak good sense.

Last night I dreamed that I was out with my son in his buggy, stopping to chat to other mums and admiring one another's babies as women do.

When I looked in my buggy, I noticed that my son was in fact a grown man and was looking rather fed up at being called a big boy and a little cherub. :roll:

Hmmm, time to cut the apron strings, you say?
Nah, he's served in the army and is presently backpacking Australia and Asia but he's still my little lad. ;)

:rofl: lol

That's the best laugh I've had in years. How wierd would that be!!

Ringo said:

:rofl: lol

That's the best laugh I've had in years. How wierd would that be!!

It was very weird indeed. Imagine waking up to realise that your unconscious is not only communicating with you, but that it dislikes you, and in all probability is conspiring against you. :shock: :madeyes: :shock:

Last night I could swear I met my anima for he first time. She was slightly dark and very clever sounding, although she didn't speak to me directly. I hope to engage her in conversation later.

I also dreamed lots of very crazy stuff that made a distinct and profound amount of sense last night, but I don't know what the hell it was about in the light of day.

Hahaha, the son I dreamed about, and who I felt was probably homesick, flew back yesteray, landed this morning and is presently deep in a jetlagged sleep! :lol:

Last night I dreamt I had to get to an incredibly important interview (the office was, inexplicably up a back street at alton towers) And I couldn't find my shoes, tights, the way, running round trying to find it, getting later and later, you know how it goes.

but all the time I was thinking,in the dream, "god, this is just like one of those awful dreams where you have to get to an incredibly important interview and can't find your shoes..."

Hmm, I was dreaming last night that I was watching TV, and in the programme, some peeps turned on the TV to show David Blaine levitating. :confused:

Unless that really was on TV and I'd had too much wine.

i had a really horrible dream the other night. here's what i wrote in my diary about it:

"A lecherous middle-aged man invited me to his house, and convinced me to go upstairs on the pretense of showing me around. He had a load of photos and ornaments. He tried to kiss me, but someone called us back downstairs. There I was talked into eating meat off a human head, not realising for a while how horrible that is. Then his wife (or someone) got mad at me and tried to kill me. I ran to someone else's house; the door was open, some young-ish people were DJing or something in a room with a large indoor window."

anyone know what cannibalism in dreams signifies?

Strange Dreams

As a child i suffered from night terrors, and the "alice in wonderland" effect. I still get them but have learnt to cope with them better, i can normally bring myself out of it but this last one was really really wierd.
It happened in a dream, i was on a strange, metallic train and there was a strange man, the only way i can describe him is as an anti-priest. He wore long white robes and had no haiir on his head, he then put his hands on my head and i could feel this horrible ripping pain going through my brain. I woke up and still had the pain in my head, which really freaked me out.
The strangest thing was though this strange feeling that seeing the man left me with. It was the surreal feeling i get when suffering a night terror, or tripping out from tiredness. It was like his presence had some kind of aura.
This doesn't sound that interesting, and it was in a dream. but the feeling he left me with was so wierd its hard to explain. I can still feel that feeling of almost irrational fear if i right about it.
The reason i am posting this is because i read a post a bit thurther down the page about a red and white demon, the one with overlapping skin- and that image brang the same feeling to me.
ust wondering if anybody else experiences this same strange feeling when they encounter, physically or mentally, something out of the ordinary.

In the past month, I've dreamt of Ian McCulloch (Zombi 2) three times which is a bit bonkers, but last night, I was helping him defeat Hitler (who'd turned up in modern day - same hair and tache though - to cause trouble) :shock:

Has anyone else dreamt of Hitler? It was a bit bizarre when I was lurking in a hotel lobby to wait for him to come past and he met my eye.

When I was a child my recurring nightmare was of being chased by lines of tiny versions of myself, complete with my favourite jumper! :laughing:
I'm sure Jung would have had a field day.

The only dreams I remember these days are usually strange ones that seem full of symbolism and hidden meaning, almost prophetic. Trouble is they're beyond my ability to interpret :cry:

Nightmares

This was posted on Something Awful today:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2850

It's pretty creepy and some of it should be familiar to forteans (demons, devils, sleep paralysis), there's also something strangely amusing about the drawings.

Word of warning to people who've never visited SomethingAwful before: you may find some of their content offensive, I wouldn't recommend clicking around the site too much if you're the sensitive type.

Well i had a dream the other night that Magaret Thatcher was my realestate agent and i said "what happened to you, you were one of the most powerful women in the world now you will sell me a house"

I awoke this morning with the words "I've got a bright green mushroom" ringing loudly through my head.

Last night I had the most alarming dream ever. I don't know what prompted this, but in my dream my penis had become severed and I was told that it couldn't be re-attached. And the disturbing thing was that I was carrying my severed appendage around with me where ever I went. Then I woke up, checked my tackle was still firmly in place, which fortunately it was, and heaved a big sigh of relief.

In the dream I was just in a state of shock, and didn't know what in the hell to do, and it all felt incredibly real. I'd take my usual dreams of being chased by zombies over this any night!

Gnomey g said:
In the dream I was just in a state of shock, and didn't know what in the hell to do, and it all felt incredibly real. I'd take my usual dreams of being chased by zombies over this any night!

Oddly on Saturday night I had a dream about killing all my neighbours as they had turned into vile demon/zombie-style creatures (think more Brian Keene's "The Rising" rather than Romero et al).

Its unusual for me to remember any dreams but that is three nights on the run now (two on Friday).

I sometimes get the "false awakening" phenomenom: when you dream you've woken up and got about your normal routine, until you wake up again. I also have lucid dreams. This morning I got a combination.

I became aware I was dreaming, and started to test out the dream, it was possible to feel textures on the surfaces of objects, an I could influence items. Then I woke up, except that I didn't, I was in another variant of my room and still aware that I was dreaming. I walked as far as the bathroom and played with my relection in the mirror, then I woke again, into another variant of the room, and still aware that I was dreaming.

I managed six 'awakenings' before I hit the surface. One of the iterations of my bedroom was rather nicer than the real one, and it's a pity that I couldn't have hung round that variation for longer.

BTW: waking in this sequence was an all-over session of pins and needles as I pushed through an invisible barrier.

Weirdest dream i ever had was when i was a big red demon with a giant sword and i went around destroying planets and galaxies...It was cool 8)

Gosh, this thread is so old that it's rather frayed and awfully difficult to thread through the eye of a needle, but here goes:

Lately, over the last 3 or so weeks, I've been having very vivid dreams.

They are always set in the same location, a rural community on a riverside with long winding country lanes, impressive views from cliffs, small cobbled streets and close packed run down buildings.

I'm always with a group of people, some which I know, some which I don't - we seem to be travelling and live in tents and have a sense of purpose - though I don't know what that is.

I get a really warm comfortable feeling when I think of the setting of my dreams as it's become so familiar.

I see dreams as being an outlet for the subconcious, sometimes precognitive, but mostly a way to sort through the massive intake of information that we are subject to every day.

I wonder what my dreams mean?

My suggestion - your dreams mean that you feel a part of a group and have a place in the world. It's odd that they are reccuring, I don't really know what it means when that happens.

The other week I took some temazepam to get to sleep and it made me dream about being stoned.

fluffle9 said ,
The other week I took some temazepam to get to sleep and it made me dream about being stoned

like, stoned with rocks, or stoned with pot (dope) ? :spinning

I dreamt last night that I had something in my eye and in trying to get it out, my eyeball popped out. In the dream my boyfriend was in the same room and I didn't want him to see me like that so I had to pop it back in secretly

UGH... I'm not normally squeamish about my eyes because I used to wear contact lenses and was used to putting things in my eye but something about this freaked me out. I've been avoiding touching my eye all day just in case

Re: Nightmares

hokum6 said:
This was posted on Something Awful today:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2850

It's pretty creepy and some of it should be familiar to forteans (demons, devils, sleep paralysis), there's also something strangely amusing about the drawings.

Word of warning to people who've never visited SomethingAwful before: you may find some of their content offensive, I wouldn't recommend clicking around the site too much if you're the sensitive type.

Thanks for that. They manage to get across that bizarre nightmare logic. It's interesting how many seem to have a 'message' to them that is just under the surface.

I have very vivid dreams, and it always seems that they have a meaning, but I can never remember enough (or be bothered to) work out what my subconsciouness is trying to say.

ruffready said:
fluffle9 said ,
The other week I took some temazepam to get to sleep and it made me dream about being stoned

like, stoned with rocks, or stoned with pot (dope) ? :spinning

Pot, thankfully.

Shared Dream/Lucid Dream: Alabama

This is a post on behalf of a friend of mine (no really, it is) regarding a particularly lucid dream that he experienced about 6 or 8 weeks ago, maybe a little more.

My friend has over the past 2 years experienced a growing momentum in his dreams, culminating in this particular episode. Since this dream, his dream activity has returned to "normal".

In this lucid dream (which for him has some of the properties of waking life - intense detail; an element of, or the notion of free will; the ability to steer the course of the dream; awareness of the dream whilst in it; other participants who appear to act in a non-dreamlike and particularly real way), my friend was "dropped into" an underground bunker (such as in the first Terminator movie flash-forwards, etc) with several other characters, each of whom had a differing degree of realness about them. They all seemed surprised to see my friend materialise. One of them was so disturbed by this that he started to cry at the whole situation.

Of the other people in the dream, one guy in particular seemed utterly real, fully-formed and appropriately rational. My friend and this guy spoke at length of the fact they were experiencing a dream - although exceptionally well-detailed and in some ways undreamlike. They took off on their own and moved through different scenarios and "backgrounds" within the dream whilst both maintaining a normal and human set of reactions and communications.

At the height of intensity of the dream, and towards the end, they had a muntual awareness that they were definitely dreaming and they were both real people, not just the function of one dreamer. They tried to decide on a way to contact each other in waking life, and were aware of the ramifications of such contact. With this in mind they each wrote out their home addresses to each other on paper that was "at hand." It was then that they realised they would not have the papers with them when they each woke up - as this was part of the dream.

Somehow aware that their time was almost up, they decided to try and memorise each other's address, and write them down on waking.

On waking, my friend wrote down all he could remember of the address of the other guy: Alabama.

The reason I joined this forum a few weeks back was to post this dream, in the hope that someone might read it and remember.

Back