• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

I had a weird dream after reading FT before bed. I drempt that my sister came to me and said she had to tell me a secret. She was now an offical Fortean Times secret member. She was given a yearly paycheck from them and was invited to special secret parties. In order to become this she was contacted and had to pass a series of special tests. This was all very undercover but she wanted to tell me because she thought I would be evnvious. Of course I was, wondering why the contacted HER, she doesn't even read the magazine.
That night I was wandering around outside a large house with out my contacts in, so I couldn't see a thing and nearly was hit by a large truck. Luckily, who should come to my rescue but the head of the Fortean Times Secret Member Society. Soon after, I got an invatation to try out the tests. Of course, I don't remember what they were, but I passed and was given an envelope of my member information. It had a sheet of my statistics, with my blood type, hieght, weight and the like and in the envelope was a lot of money. My yearly allowance. It also said my official duty was "Snake Charmer". I asked my sister what hers was and she said "Dishwasher".:blah:

Dark Detective said:
I dreamt that the world was visited by not one but two comets, and for some reason they were passing by the earth, due to orbit for a while at very close range, then fly off(!)
Hmm! The Earth is currently passing through the Perseid meteor swarm, and the peak time for meteor sightings should be around the 12th August.

This swarm is associated with the comet Swift-Tuttle - let's hope there aren't a few extra large bits lurking out there!

This swarm is very long-lived. In the Middle Ages the meteors were known as the Tears of St Lawrence, who was Martyred on 10th August, 258.

Dark Detective said:
However, although we knew it was coming, the astrophysicists got it wrong when they said it would be harmless. I was watching TV, and the BBC news was on, presented by the late Jill Dando(!), and it was basically an “end of the world” broadcast. The viewers were solemnly informed in that typical eloquent and sober BBC style that all humanity could do was sit tight and hope for the best.
Your dream seems even more remarkable now that the BBC has recently informed us of a possible asteroid collision !!!

Your post was made on the 22nd, the Beeb report is dated the early hours of the 24th. OK, the details do not fully match, but I reckon this is pretty close as precognitive dreams go!

7 out of 10! Well done, DD!

Oh Lordy, I dreamed last night that I saw a woman struggling to carry a very nice red satin lined coffin which she'd bought in a department store sale up North somewhere..........

So I looked it up here

http://hometown.aol.com/dreamdictionary/

and found that it's a very baaaaaaaaaaaaaad omen- death, disease, divorce, debt, in fact everythibg baaaaaaaaaad beginning with 'd'.

Wish I hadn't looked now,

I'll try the nice fluffy kittens mantra-

nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens
nice fluffy kittens nice fluffy kittens

phew that's better!

Oh Lordy, I dreamed last night that I saw a woman struggling to carry a very nice red satin lined coffin which she'd bought in a department store sale up North somewhere..........

Mr. Jung would say that (if you are a male,) you are struggling to complete a project or solve a problem that you fear is failing (dying) due to your inabilty to creatively deal with it, or that you feel you can't carry it alone.

If you are a female, it could mean that you think that you are burdened by some aspectsof your own personality that you would just as soon see dead and buried.

To get a better idea what the red satin might mean, (after all, you could have had it lined in a different material, so that choice was significant,) you could write down a definition of "red" and "satin" as though you were describing the words to someone from another planet, someone who does not understand words that are synonyms, but words that describe the things as to their use, emotional aspects, histories, etc. In other words, don't just say "Red is a color." The other worlder doesn't even know what "color" means...you have to define it for him :)

I would also guess that the purchase from up "North' is vital to the dream's meaning and may be quite literal, in location or with something that you are dealing with that originated in the North. Or maybe it has to do with how you see the North...cold? Foreign? As opposed to the South....you can define "North", too, to get a better understanding of its representation to you on other levels.

I hope that made some slight sense and helps a bit.

-Sudi
amateur dream analyst

Wow, thank you Sudi, how very kind of you to analyse my dream.

I will think hard about this, especially the male/female split over the meaning- I am female by the way.

:) You are very welcome...! :)

I enjoy trying to come up with Jungian reasons for the dream imagery we have. (As opposed to Freudian reasons, that is.)

Since you stated you are female the symbol of the woman carrying the coffin is different than it would be for a man dreaming about a woman. Not very much from the gender aspects other than women in men's dreams tend to signify the creative energy they need, and women dreaming about men can mean the source of physical energy they need.

Women dreaming about another women can be several things....for instance another woman who may give the female dreamer definite feelings of disgust or mistrust, can be the woman's "Shadow." (Actually, the same goes for a male dreaming of a male in the same terms.) The "Shadow" being aspects of herself that she somehow disowns or denies.

But it's been a while since I played at dream interpretations so please forgive my vagueries :)

-Sudi

I had a very bizarre dream last night. Not scary, just really strange. I very rarely remember dreams but some of the images from this stayed with me.
It started of with me as the Tom Cruise character in Minority Report (Hey, it's my dream, I can be who i want!:mad: ) Then my ex appeared and told me I needed an operation. This involved having a kidney removed under local anaesthetic. This would have been bad enough, but the operation was carried out by Shane Warne and Steve Waugh (australian cricketers) for some reason they decided to operate on my left shoulder and elbow as well, and I remember them repeatedly stabbing me in the elbow and asking if it hurt!
After the operation, the woulnds weren't dressed and I was left with raw holes in my side, shoulder and elbow. And they still refused to tell me why they operated on me!

I would say that's a low self-esteem dream Adrian. People you admire (I imagine) having a go at you. Especially as it was instigated by your ex.
Why you would want to look like that nasty little Cruise man I can't imagine though. You're fine as you are.

Sounds very possible Ms Boo

And thanks :D

Now, if only I can get Nicole to see it your way ;)

I've dreamt twice in the last few days about really have a huge argument with someone I work with. He is a complete prat, but he says some unforgiveable things to me in these dreams and I really lay into him. I shout some obscenities at him and really stand my ground, not like me at all. :rolleyes:
The first dream I left his room to hear thunderous applause from other members of staff, shame to wake up that time really.
I don't think they are exactly cryptic dreams, but I am getting better at standing up to him in real life I think. :eek:

Last night I dreamt that Kathy, my friend in America, sent me two parcels, each containing a teddy bear. This morning I received a postcard from her, with bears on the front. Psychic or what, eh?

OK, nothing spectacular I know, but for me it's rather good . . .

Carole

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dark Detective
However, although we knew it was coming, the astrophysicists got it wrong when they said it would be harmless. I was watching TV, and the BBC news was on, presented by the late Jill Dando(!), and it was basically an “end of the world” broadcast. The viewers were solemnly informed in that typical eloquent and sober BBC style that all humanity could do was sit tight and hope for the best.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your dream seems even more remarkable now that the BBC has recently informed us of a possible asteroid collision !!!

Your post was made on the 22nd, the Beeb report is dated the early hours of the 24th. OK, the details do not fully match, but I reckon this is pretty close as precognitive dreams go!

Don't want to alarm you too much, but.......

rynner said:
OK, the details do not fully match, but I reckon this is pretty close as precognitive dreams go!

Shit!

I can't believe I ignored this thread until now - I didn't realise the connection myself... I came to the thread to post another dream I had a couple of days ago, so I'd better get it out quick.

I was stood in a Deli I regularly visit for lunch (US based BTW) at night when I noticed a group of armed people outside(!) They were carrying shotguns and I obviously twigged they were up to no good. They entered the deli and I guess started shooting - I didn't see it happen but managed to slip away. None of them noticed me - and I remember a distinct feeling of being very lucky to get away. The next events are kind of fuzzy due to the time that has passed, though I remember wandering the parking lot and being unable to find my car so I can get away. My next memory is very vivid - it's daytime and outside the deli there is a row of bodies under blankets with a lot of blood on the ground, being washed away by a guy in a chemical(?) suit and a hose.

If this one happens I'm going to be very concerned....:eek:

Lucid dream (I think)

Whooaaaaaa-

Last night I dreamed that I went to see some acquaintances in order to reclaim some property I'd lent to them.

They told me that they were bankrupt and that the bailiffs were on way. I looked outside and there was a bulldozer scraping everything in the garden- car, garage, bushes- up and into skips.

Whern it was all loaded up the bulldozer driver left to collect the skip-carrying truck.

So I suggesed that we all root through the skips to recover at least some of our valuables, including a laptop and other expensive stuff.

Halfway through this operation I said, 'Hold it- this is a dream and all our gear is safe really- we don't need to rush things as it will soon be morning'.

I must have woken up then.
Mad or what?

WRT Cybermen - I sometimes have quite nightmarish dreams featuring Daleks!

Strangest dreams I can recall:

- I was in the foyer of a very grand hotel, which had large windows through which streamed a great deal of bright sunlight. I went through the foyer doors to the street, which was in some sort of modern city. To my left, a large carnival-like procession was coming along the road towards me, with lots of colours, music, confetti, etc.. As it passed in front of me, I saw that the people involved in the procession were wearing toga-like clothing and Greek theatre masks. They were pointing to something in the distance. I looked towards where they were pointing, and amongst all the sky scrapers I saw a statue of a immense bull looming over the city.

- whilst on the subject of bulls, I had a dream when I was about 9 or 10 about David Niven in a war film. He was flying a bomber, which was hit and caught fire. He then turned into a minotaur-like creature.

- the earliest dream I can remember took place at night in a Viking village. Everyone was in the head villager's house, and there was alot of panic. The scene then cut to show an outside, birds-eye view, where a giant hand was walking it's fingers through the village and crushing everything in it's path.

:eek!!!!:

I remember a vivid dream of myself playing catch the ball with Julia Roberts. The balls colour was a very bright red. Can someone please explain if the above dream has any meaning whatsoever.

Douglas Porritt said:
I remember a vivid dream of myself playing catch the ball with Julia Roberts. The balls colour was a very bright red. Can someone please explain if the above dream has any meaning whatsoever.
Er yes. It means you want to have sex with Julia Roberts.

Originally posted by Douglas Porritt

Originally posted by beakboo

Er yes. It means you want to have sex with Julia Roberts.
Yes, but nice clean cosensual type- not the filthy "steam train running into a tunnel type

Red balls and Julia Roberts?

Reminds me of a dream I had - not including Julia Roberts, but a famous(ish) supermodel and a knee.

Ouch.

:cross eye

Seriously, I dreamt the other night I was having a colonoscopy (I've never had one in real life). The equipment used was quite monstrous, I remember a large flashlight on the end. And no, there weren't any aliens either.
I hesitate to ask for a translation as it involves a part of the anatomy which for me is a one-way street.

DARK DETECTIVE tells us:
Seriously, I dreamt the other night I was having a colonoscopy (I've never had one in real life). The equipment used was quite monstrous, I remember a large flashlight on the end. And no, there weren't any aliens either.
I hesitate to ask for a translation as it involves a part of the anatomy which for me is a one-way street.

Hmmnnn....I wonder if IRL, your selection of your Nom de Plume, "Dark Detective" has a relation to the dream in a symbolic fashion? (About the "large flashlight."... flashlights illuminate dark places. Detectives do the same with information....etc.)

That you say "for me is a one way street," could mean you are dealing with an issue which is a "dead-end," perhaps, or one in which you are doing all the giving with no return. And that you need some illumination on the problem.

That's a very literal interpretation, of course, and pretty lackluster. But as usual, I can only be brilliant after a few beers and it's not the cocktail hour here yet.

-Sudi
:D

Dark Detective said:
You have a secret, a rather embarassing one that you want to reveal or is about to be revealed?

I don't go for all this pyschobabble - I think it was aliens! :)

A strange remembered dream

I was with a group touring a university library or some such - lots of high narrow corridors and two-storey rooms filled with shelves full of books. The lady leading the tour pointed to a carved wooden statue of a devil which sat on a plinth near one of the doors into one of the book rooms. She explained that there was a legend that, at night, the statue would come alive and leave its plinth. We then left the room into the corridor leading down the centre of this bulding, so that it was lit only by the light from the open doors into the library rooms. What light there was was very dim, and there were deep shadows cutting at angles across the corridor. I was trailing behind the group, or possibly on my own, and I looked back down the corridor to see a small, hunched-over shape scurrying from shadow to shadow. I knew that it was that devil statue, but I was also aware that it reminded me somehow of the murderous dwarf from "Don't Look Now".

And then I was sat on my bed at home with my sister sat next to me and I fell through the wall. The wall was whole, I just passed through it insubstantially.

Had a very odd dream the other night. I'm interested to see what people make of this.

This might sound a bit dodgy to begin with, but stick with it. I was standing in the corner of a dark, unfamiliar bedroom. An old lady was asleep in a double bed and somehow I knew she was about to die.

As she began to draw her last breath, the floor opened up at the bottom of the bed and out came all of her favourite old toys, things like scraggly old teddy bears. They then climbed onto her bed and all hugged her (ahhh!) and the old lady was overcome with happiness as she died.

Although it may sound a bit creepy, it was actually a very lovely dream and I woke up feeling great.

ANGELO TELLS US:
I was standing in the corner of a dark, unfamiliar bedroom. An old lady was asleep in a double bed and somehow I knew she was about to die.

As she began to draw her last breath, the floor opened up at the bottom of the bed and out came all of her favourite old toys, things like scraggly old teddy bears. They then climbed onto her bed and all hugged her (ahhh!) and the old lady was overcome with happiness as she died.

(Well, I keep jumping into this thread because, selfishly, I enjoy this type of stuff.....so here goes another one.)

If you are a man, Angelo, (...well, this is the internet... ya' never know!) I would first say that the old lady is your creative aspect, the area of your psyche that gives you creative solutions in life. That she is "old" might suggest that you have a very mature, developed creative side to your personality....are you an artist?

The fact that she is dying does not necessarily mean that your ability to perform creatively has abandoned you.

On the contrary, that she is dying a happy death in the dream, would, to me, infer that your creativity has undergone a profound transformation recently and that you are content with the transformation.

The juxtaposition of the youthful playtoys--the teddy bears-- (creativity is, after all, a form of play,) joining her at her death would also suggest that a melding of the childlike aspects necessary to be successful creatively, have wedded the mature aspects (the old woman,) and represent the completion of a project with which you are very pleased.

:)

Sudi

Sudi, I am both shocked and impressed.

Your interpretation is brilliantly accurate. I'm not gonna go into full details, but yep - I work as a commercial artist, last time I checked I was a man (or 25 year old boy!) and yep - I've just finished a project that has been very slow out of the gate, but radically different to anything I've ever done before.

Consequently I'm loving the fact that I've learnt a few new skills and been able to try out some new ideas. I'm really pleased with what I've done. You also touch upon other issues which have been bugging me recently.

Overall top marks to you. :D

Back