• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

lucydru said:
... Aliens and u.f.o's (in which sometimes I was the only one to see them even though in a crowd).
luce
me too. The aliens were giants and invisible to most people, but when they realised I could see them they suddenly shrank down to nothing.

The UFOs were strange big machines in the sky - been watching too much SF I expect

In my last ufo dream I was in Ibiza (or somewhere like it). I was walking around a bay and there was a ufo hovering over the water. It looked like one of those ones that are faked using light shades only like it was a cgi. There was a lot of people around, including my dad and at first I couldn't get it out of my mouth that I saw it. I was pointing at it though sometimes and when I finally said there was one my dad didn't believe me and it went not long after. I was the only one to notice that a huge ufo was hovering near by. I felt annoyed that no-one else could see it.

In some other ufo dreams I have also seen milatry aircraft near by (once they were hovering the m.a. that is, right next to a house near to ours and the pilot was looking into a bedroom window).

luce

OK, I admit it...I dreamed I was the fourth Goodie. Hence the title to my left. Dressed as Henry VIII. On that bike.

I do talk in my sleep as well, which seems to indicate that my dreams are much more interesting then I may remember. One night I woke the other 'alf up, whispering to her "the buried treasure...remember, we buried the treasure".

Or, on one notable occasion: "NO!!! Don't give her that, she's taken too much of that stuff already! You'll kill her, NOOOOO!!!!"

Or, my personal favourite. I sat up in bed, waited, turned to the missus and said in a low, calm voice. "Is anyone else active yet? Is anyone else active yet?"

She replied in the negative.

"Not time", I said and went back to sleep, leaving her somewhat unnerved. She now thinks she lives with the Manchurian Candidate.

Bah, I never have any interesting dreams. My usual ones are of watching myself hoovering the house or chopping logs :(

Hoovering and chopping logs! I am sure someone out there could give you a weird reason why you dream of things like that.

Maybe the chopping of wood is because you are trying to break up a probem you have into smaller pieces so it is easy to handle. Or it could be that it is a dream that your accerting your maleness and by chopping logs up you are provided something that others need and only you could provide. Or you could have a secret urge to be a lumberjack.

n.b. What I have just said could be totally bobbins.

luce

lucydru said:
Maybe the chopping of wood is because you are trying to break up a probem you have into smaller pieces so it is easy to handle.

OMG, that's probably what it is, as I always have that dream when somethings on my mind.

As I find chopping logs relaxing, I just thought that when I dreamed about it, I was just mentally unwinding in my sleep :eek!!!!:

Originally posted by lucydru
Or you could have a secret urge to be a lumberjack

:eek: nooooo, my secrets out :p

Over the last two days I've had the same dream in which my late Grandfather (whom we cremated on Friday) insisted that I tell my Granma that he loves her and that she's to "take her time". My mum, who is a "realist" (Skeptic), told me that the message was selfish and that Gran' didn't need to know.

Nothing more was said.

Niles

Ok, here's one for the record. Last night I had a dream in which it was announced that Saddam Hussein, who had secretly been ill, had died.

A few nights before it was Hitler's wooden coffin floating feet-first down a river, with a small port-hole window in the lid, and his left arm falling out to the side to bang against the jetty. A flash of the destruction wrought by the Third Reich had an unspoken connection with current world events - implying much destruction, but Hitler's death represented, I felt, the death of large scale terrorism.

Just dreams, I'm sure: a mix of news, these threads, and a reading of FT - (there was section on prophecies relating to Bin Laden's death by 2002?). A bit morbid, I know, but similar to very occasional 'death announcement' dreams I've had. A sign of the times, no doubt.

Hermes said:
A few nights before it was Hitler's wooden coffin floating feet-first down a river, with a small port-hole window in the lid, and his left arm falling out to the side to bang against the jetty. ...Hitler's death represented, I felt, the death of large scale terrorism.

Was the jetty wooden?

Meanwhile...

On the topic of the Anthrax attacks elsewhere in the forum (I hope not :))...

About a week ago I had a dream in which the US and UK were attacked with Bio-Weapons, but that the weapon wasn't ol' Anthrax but some purely artificial organism which used principles of germ-treatment to scramble the victim's DNA. In the dream it was called Chimera, after the super bug in M:I 2. :rolleyes:

In some people the Chimera plague didn't kill but instead mutated them, giving them super human abilities. Naturally we, erm, they used these abilities to treat the plague and save the world....

Niles
Still saving the world before breakfast... :D

Cyber-dream

lucydru said:
We had been given the task of finding a way to destroy the cybermen (as in the ones off Doctor Who) who were causing trouble and terrifing everyone, including me.

I used to have a dream that the cybermen were invading my home town (and quite frankly they're welcome to it). I was hiding under a raised portacabin in the school grounds, and I could see their legs going backwards and forwards past it. There was also something about them doing some sort of manouvers in the park (marching up and down). Strangely, they were the 60s "practice golf balls 'n' hose pipes" design of cybe rather than the sleeker 80s model. Even weirder, my little brother has had exactly the same dream, only with the Yeti from Doctor Who instead of the cybermen. He was born in 1970, so he's not even old enough to remember them!

The other dream I had which has really stuck in my mind happened in November 1991. I'd just left university in Cardiff, and was generally having a really rotten time, no job, no money, and to top it all I had a really bad falling out with my friends. On the night it happened, I went home in a somewhat upset state, and hit my emergency supply of Brains Dark in a major way. When I got to sleep, I had the most vivid dream I've ever had. I was in the hallway of a house in Ninian Rd, opposite the park, and I was in an embrace with a short blonde girl in a white dressing gown. We were both crying; she was telling me I had to go, and I kept saying "but I love you!". Eventually, I left and started walking across the park. Looking back, I saw the girl standing in the doorway, and knew somehow that if she shut the door I'd never see her again...

Then I woke up, and my immediate reaction was to leap out of bed and start to get dressed, because I had to get to Ninian Rd to see the girl. I'd got everything but my shoes on when it suddenly sunk in that it was a dream. The thing was, it was entirely realistic - there was none of the weird surreal stuff that happens in dreams, and the park and street were right in every detail. For about three minutes after waking up, nothing else mattered but seeing the girl and stopping her from closing that door. I'd put it down now to my fragile state of mind coupled with alcoholic overkill, but for years afterwards I wondered if a blonde girl really did live down there who had a dream that night about an upset looking bloke in a stripey t-shirt and black leather jacket...

I dreamt about stew last night...

Last night I had one of those annoying ones where you dream you've woken up and are doing what you'd normally do.

The alarm went off at 6.30 as usual, so I got up, showered and started cooking breakfast for my guests. Served it, cleaned up and put the pots away. Then I heard my alarm going off again, and went upstairs to silence it. At this point, I rather muzzily woke up, realised I'd been dreaming and had to do it all over again:hmph:

Thing was, by 10am I felt knackered, like I really had done everything twice. Just locked the hostel up and went back to sleep. Anyone else have dreams like that, or am I actually in Groundhog Day , or that Hammer House of Horror episode with Denholm Elliot?

god if only I could remember them all! ( I put my profusion of odd dreams down to a mis-spent youth;) )

Whilst working in chip shop as a young lass, I dreamt I was being chased down the street by thousands of unwashed, un-cut potatoes, screaming at me to wash and cut them. Brrrrrrrrrr!!

I also scared the heck out of my youngest sister one night when we were sharing a room by, whilst still sleeping, sitting bolt upright in bed and stating matter-of-factly, "Tommy the tug-boat will save you", I then lay back down and continued to snooze away. Still haven't a clue what I was dreaming about!

I was hiding under a raised portacabin in the school grounds

Ok this is freaky (well I think it is) because in my dream the school had raised portacabins and I had to go to another school to get something in a class that was held in one.

luce

I had such a frusterating dream last night! My dad is a photographer, and I had a dream he was working on making these "Adventure Photographers" action figures!:confused: They each came with little cameras, hats and guns and knives! He was showing me the prototypes and told me to be careful because he needed to shoot pictures of them. I was looking at a girl figure and I dropped the knife she came with, and I spent the rest of the dream looking for the stupid thing, in panic so my dad wouldn't be angry with me. I woke up and still felt frantic. I hate those dreams.:(

I had a disturbing dream last night.

I was about to be married, but I wasn't happy about it because immediately afterwards I was to be executed!

I managed to hide from the vicar and everyone, delaying the wedding till next day, and then I managed to get away again. I found myself in a railway station - for some reason I thought it was Brixham, in Devon (I don't even know if it has a station!). I contemplated getting a train to London, but I felt really depressed - I knew 'they' would only find me there...

Pick the bones out of that!

Niles,

I've experienced something simular while wide awake, and on the bus. It must have been the early '90s and instead of flying around my conciousness just seemed to enflate to encompass everyone on the bus, then everyone in the city, then everyone in the country, then everyone on the planet... then other planets, then other galaxies, and then the Universe. I had just become aware of other universes beyond our own when suddenly I deflated like a balloon and was myself once more...

I read something very like this in FT a few years back. Someone was driving along a country road when he suddenly felt that the universe was a sphere, with the earth sort of printed on the inside surface...or something. He felt godlike & all-knowing for a few seconds, then all returned to normal. A year later he was diagnosed with a form of mild epilepsy of which such events are characteristic.

A relation of mine once told me about her boyfriend's experience in a field. he suddenly came over all mystic & dropped to his knees in prayer. 'Er, is there epilepsy in his family?' I asked. There was, his Ma is on medication for it.

Maybe you ought to have it checked out.

Good point, Escargot.
A lot of the 'religious experiences' that were described in the Bible (and since then) were possibly due to epilepsy or some other transient event in the brain...
There is no epilepsy or madness in my family, so my experience was probably just a dream.

I've been subjected to quite a host of odd dreams. Lately, I've been not sleeping so well, and when I do sleep it seems I dream constantly. When I wake up I feel totally exausted.

A dream I had recently was weird. I've no recollection of what I was dreaming about, but it was a little like watching television. There was an image, but super-imposed on the image were letters. They were angled, had a 3-d look, and started in the center of the 'screen' and perspective made the closer letters look bigger. The weird part was the letters went left and right from the center and were a mirror image. Everything on the left was completely backwards. Actually it was letters and numbers, but I cannot remember what they were... I guess I need to keep a notebook and pen by my bed!

Another dream I had I was standing around looking at all these birds. They were called 'Zebra Birds' and, indeed looked like big birds with zebra stripes. They had funny feathers sticking out of their heads, too, kind of like quail. WITF?

I posted another rather amusing dream here (scroll down a bit).

Transcendent feelings and illness

The posts above seem to imply that epilepsy was the cause of feelings of transcendence, as if "That's explained it, case closed."

In fact, all we have here is an association of two experiences. The transcendent feelings may be quite real, and relate to a real and higher level of consciousness. The illness may simply retune the mind slightly so that it can access these normally hiiden realms.

On a lesser level, I tend to get altered states of consciousness when I get the common cold! Nothing transcendent, but a different and more child-like awareness of things like colours. And of course, alcohol and drugs are regurlarly used to access these different states.

Re: Transcendent feelings and illness

rynner said:
a different and more child-like awareness of things like colours

You really hit the nail on the head there. I could never quite describe it, that feeling. The other week I had a severe allergy attack, and took some severe allergy medicine. After 1/2 hour I was still suffering immensely, so I took some more of a different brand of severe allergy medicine. Put me right in that state of mind, but also made me rather sluggish.

For some reason alcohol doesn't really have that effect on me. People tell me I'm the most sober drunk person they've ever known. I'll just have to mix up a nice concotion of cough syrup, nyquil, tylenol severe cold, and vodka. Then I'll see what kind of dreams I have.:eek:

escargot said:
A year later he was diagnosed with a form of mild epilepsy of which such events are characteristic...Maybe you ought to have it checked out.

Already done so. I came over all funny once while riding my pushbike one summer afternoon, about eight years ago. The sun was flashing behind the trees which lined the road and suddenly this strange sensation came over me. So I stopped the bike, so I didn't fall of, and waited until the sensation had past. It did so just as quickly as it had arrived. I then proceeded to my destination at a different pace. The following day I made a doctors appointment where I was told that I had suffered a brief attack of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. The Doc' was quite proud, he'd just come back from some sort of medical conference which had a speaker on the subject. He told me that any trivial amount of brain damage can result in epilepsy, and that temporal lobe epilepsy was the most common type which could be triggered in pretty much anyone. His conclusion was not to worry and that I wouldn't need any medication unless I had a full blown attack of "proper epilepsy".

My own reading into the subject linked it to religious experiences / ghosts / close encounters and the like. Thus the next time I felt the same sensation creep over me I looked up from the episode of the X Files I was watching and informed the classic Grey materializing at across the room that it was a epilepticly induced hallucination and that it should "fuck off". This it proceeded to do.

I haven't had any further 'attacks', that I know of, which may be a good thing or not, I can't decide.

Rynner: Since TLE can apparently be triggered by anyone whos ever banged their head it could be argued that all feelings of transendience are caused by it. What if TLE was caused by transedience? The way neural pathways form it isn't inconceivable that by experiencing a episode of Transendience you don't form the neural wiring to experience such episodes more easily. TLE is mearly the scientific term for genuine episodes of transendience. After all a blow to the head is supposed to be a common cause of psychic powers manifesting. There might well be a connection!

Niles (wearing his white hat)

By coincidence (or not)...

..this is on New Scientist online today -

Ezekial

(Whatever can it allmean?)

Rynner, I know one or two people with aggression, delusions and pedantic speech - does that mean the financial director at my place of work is going to turn into an OT prophet??

Carole

Mythopoeika,

There is no epilepsy or madness in my family

There's no connection between epilepsy and 'madness' (whatever that is). Epilepsy, as the above posts explain very well, is both common in a variety of forms and purely physiological. I used to work closely with people with epilepsy and it is a fascinating condition and certainly does not connote lack of intelligence or reason. So don't let prejudice stop you from sorting out a potential health problem!

I too have occasional 'do's' as I call them. Any kind of flashing light may bring on an event in anyone, as here,

I came over all funny once while riding my pushbike one summer afternoon, about eight years ago. The sun was flashing behind the trees which lined the road and suddenly this strange sensation came over me.

I always shield my eyes when driving along a certain stretch of road near my home when the sun is low as the trees give a strobe effect. Once I was riding pillion on a motorbike when this happened and I suddenly found myself lying supine on a Civil War battlefield being menaced by heavily armed Roundheads! This was scary but I did understand, due to my work at the time, what had caused it, i.e. the strobe effect, and have coped well ever since.

A good friend used to come home with kacked pants now and then! His Ma would roll her eyes and say, 'you've walked down Badger Avenue, haven't you?' -where there is a very long line of brightly-coloured railings. He'd have had a 'petit mal' (very small) fit and wouldn't have noticed. He was also fanatically and comically Christian and fitted very well the wailing zealot Old Testament prophet image, and knew it. I often pointed out that this was all due to epilepsy and that God was just a scrambled brain cell. We had some ring-ding arguments, all in good fun, and he was a wonderful character.
I say 'was'- he moved away and became a minister. I'm sure he serves his flock and his god very well, and his epilepsy enhances rather than detracts from his humanity.

Re: My Spike and Dru Dream

I recently found a poem I wrote after I had that dream. It was losely based on what I felt during it.

luce

I have been having the same dream for years...
It's very early morning, I'm in Aberdeen, beside what was the central post office, but everything is in ruins. Me and a few others in sort of scruffy uniforms are manning a barricade, waiting. Nothing happens. At all. Until just before I wake up, when I hear a rumbling, clanking noise, getting gradually louder... I know what the sound is, it's a tank, a long way off...then I wake up.
Pointless, really, eh? I have a bit of a mild terror of the sound of tanks, possibly resulting from having one driven over me in Belgium...Not very fortean, I'm afraid. But then there was the one about the dogfaced alien and the roast chicken in the desert...

Another dream I have fairly often is one where I'm back at school or university and exams are looming. And I haven't done a scrap of revision. After having one of these dreams, I awake in a state of panic, convinced that I need to do the revision!

A similar dream I have is where I'm about to tak part in a play and I don't know my lines

Carole

carole said:
Another dream I have fairly often is one where I'm back at school or university and exams are looming. And I haven't done a scrap of revision. Carole
Me too!

I also get dreams of being at a Uni like place, lots of big buildings, somehow half familiar, but when I try to get from one place to another I seem to get trapped into searching through an endless series of rooms and corridors, having to retrace my steps, but somehow it's always different.

I don't get the anxiety attacks quite so often nowadays - sometimes I almost enjoy the weirdness. I think then I am on the verge of lucid dreaming.

Has anyone ever had a dream that was so wonderful, that when you wake up and realise it wasn't true you can't help but burst into tears...? Not that I have, obviously. Far too macho.

Back