• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

I dreamed someone had set up an audition for me to play guitar for Oasis and the group members were embarrassed and let down because I could hardly play a note . In real life I can play very little guitar and have never been a fan of Oasis , there was this really horrible bit when one of the Gallagher brothers said ' I thought you said you could play ' , I was so embarrassed , it was a really elaborate take on naked in public dreams .
Marion

Maybe it was just an excuse, Marion, they probably didn't want you in the band because you don't have one eyebrow:)

Carole

ah, he's back then. another one for the ignore list.
carole, all your stuff seems to be anxiety dreams!
my own weirdest: apart from a few freaky hypnogogic episodes and the odd lucid dream -
1) waiting to be executed by lethal injection. very nrevous, escape from my cell half-heartedly, realising that escape is silly and i really ought to be brave. enter another room along the same corridor, a yellow-tiled domestic bathroom, and crouch on the toilet cistern trying to calm down as i hear them in the corridor wondering where i am as it's time to go. eventually come to terms with it all and am for a moment completely serene and ready to go. they open the door and come in, just as i wake up. rather odd as this was years ago but foreshadows recent career moves/experience.
2)in a hospital part way through one of those very long dreams. remember that if dreaming, look at your hands and feet to trigger lucidity: look at my feet, figure hey, a dream, let's go exploring. walk down the long, busy corridor to a junction/vestibule area where are piled up those cages on wheels they put laundry on - you know, a metal frame with a canvas bag slung in it. in each one is a small old person wrapped up like a baby in swaddling, looking like a load of maggots/larvae, wake up deliberately and immediately, as you would too...
3) has anyone ever fallen in love in a dream? happens rarely but is v special - your love is returned and you wake up rather bittersweet but ridiculously happy. v special.

aah, you're a man after my own heart (sniffs and looks distant and noble)...

My two weirdest dreams (excluding fever ones)
First there was the one where I was about 10. In my bed I felt a sense of detatchment from my body and decided that I should fliy to the nearest planet with intelligent life on it. I rushed along some sort of thread and came to a planet which I had to decend to in some sort of complex spiraling path.
The guiding thread vanished and I was floating above several large fleshy lumps, grazing on ground cover plants. I felt terribly disappointed but managed to move inside the mind of one of them. They were unaware of me but were aware of each other. They were involved in making some sort of mental construct. Their whole civilisation was based on the mind things they made, their bodies were more like permanent dwellings. Eventually I wanted to go home and flew very fast. That I was able to decide what to do indicates that this was a lucid dream.

The other happened when I was 22 is much shorter. I am in a line of soldiers, Spartans. My vision is restricted and I am glancing down the line of troops, I can see the big lamda for Lacemedon. I feel very proud that our line is so perfect. Curiously in this dream I am right handed - in life I am a lefty.

Oh, yes, I forgot about fever dreams...such fun! I remember being deeply upset by one -although I was awake, so maybe that's not a dream?- because my pillow was trying to tell me something very important, but it was speaking French, and I can't speak French... last time I buy a sausage-inna-bun from the university canteen...:hmph:

I had the most clear, Freudian-warning type of dream a few years ago....

I was in my local park and the lake was frozen just it used to be in my childhood: people were skating, riding bikes on the ice & having a wintry good time. My dangerous teenage ex appeared and started trying to persuade me to play on the ice. I refused: it was too dangerous: the ice was thin. He nagged a bit more and eventually I gave in and of course the ice broke and we both fell through it. I dragged him out and curiously, my clothes were dry, so he asked me for my coat. He was still cold so he asked for my sweatshirt, then t-shirt. Eventually I was nearly down to my underwear and refused to go any further, as people would see I was naked and had given him everything. This really upset me and I woke up in a panic.

Obviously, the meaning was this-
thin ice= minor drug use in my youth
falling through ice= loss of present respectability
handing over clothes= literally 'losing my shirt' along with everything else

I woke up, grew up, baked him a Dog Meat Pie and got on with my life.

escargot said:
I had the most clear, Freudian-warning type of dream a few years ago.... (edit)
Obviously, the meaning was this-
thin ice= minor drug use in my youth
falling through ice= loss of present respectability
handing over clothes= literally 'losing my shirt' along with everything else

I woke up, grew up, baked him a Dog Meat Pie and got on with my life.
:D Hmm, I like this analysis. Perhaps you could set up a counselling service based on it. You could probably make a bomb in California :D

Yup, I had no problems whatever with the meaning of the dream. I do believe that one's subconscious can deliver the truth through dreams and mine was obviously telling it like it was!

I wonder how universal dream-symbols are though. Like, knives & snakes represent willies, we're told, but would that work for everyone?

Dreaming of excrement is supposed to represent money...hmm...

'Thin ice' for me is a powerful image and 'skating on thin ice' is a phrase I use.

Originally posted by rynner
I had a disturbing dream last night.

I was about to be married, but I wasn't happy about it because immediately afterwards I was to be executed!

Sounds like you're afraid of commitment.

I had one of those moments today where something triggers the memory of a dream I had last night that I totally forgot about. Whilst posting a thread on body disposal by pigs, I mentioned the movie "Snatch". It then occurred to me that I'd dreamt about having a lad's night out with the director of said film and pretend cockney geezer, Guy Ritchie, now famously married to Madonna. I also met and shook hands with her in the dream as they both came round in a big limo, and when asked in the dream what she was like in person, I replied "Nothing special." Which is what I really think anyway.

I had a really disturbing/upsetting/actually quite nice dream the other night, depending on how you look at it. I usually don't attach any importance to dreams at all, but I couldn't help wondering about this one:

Basically, I dreamt about a friend of mine who died about two years ago. In my dream, I went to visit him in the shop he worked in, and he seemed really pleased to see me. We hugged, and exchanged injokes, but all the time there was the slight niggle in the back of my head, that he really shouldn't still be there, and I shouldn't really be talking to him.
There were other people in the shop, browsing around shopping, and my friend kept trying to chat to them. None of them paid any attention to him, or appeared to see him. He turned to me, peeved, and told me no one would ever talk to him anymore, and he didn't understand why, but he was glad I was there. I tried to explain that he'd died, and that he shouldn't be hanging around still (how do you tell someone that tactfully?) but he wouldn't accept it. He seemed quite distressed, so I changed the subject.

The dream moved on to some strange anxiety thing about having to make a lot of pancakes (don't ask) and that was it. The night before last, that was, and I've been reflecting on it ever since.
Anyone got any thoughts, or should I just stop eating marmite just before bed?
:confused:

I would give up the marmite altogether.
If someone didn't believe they were dead, and they were trying to talk to you, would it annoy your subconscious enough to turn up in your dreams? Very interesting.
No ideas regardiong my roast chicken, yet, I notice...

Inverurie Jones said:
What roast chicken was this then?
I dreamed last week that Guy Ritchie had died. I don't even know what he looks like.
Stupidest dream I ever had was that I was the agent for a singing beer bottle. Newcastle Brown in fact, not a brand I've ever drunk.
Tell us more about this roast chicken.

Inverurie Jones said:

A dog-faced alien and a roast chicken?

Strange sexual fantasy? :D

Another dream I can't figure out: I had this dream 2 nights ago where I had gotten this tatto of a weird moon/ameba looking thing underneath my eye, but I know I either didn't want it there, or they had screwed it up somehow. So, i was walking around with it on, pissed off, and I notice other people with the same design on parts of thier bodies. One person had it on the end of thier nose, another had it tattoed srcoss thier fingers...And somehow I come to realise that it is a symbol for a cult. So then I go to a mall to wait for some freinds that were in a job interview, and I wonder into a store thats way back away from all the other stores and I begin to think that it is a front for something else, when a middle eastern man comes out and starts acting like I'm his daughter, introducing me around to others in the store. I begin to protest, but then someone notices a scorpion on the floor and the man freaks out and trys to protect me, dragging me up on a table. Then I wake up..............

beakboo said:
Stupidest dream I ever had was that I was the agent for a singing beer bottle. Newcastle Brown in fact, not a brand I've ever drunk.

Beakboo, can you type and cry with laughter at the same time? I can, 'cause that's what I'm doing now!

:D

Carole

For a while I have been having a recurring dream. It’s really weird. I find myself in this sort of desert canyon type place that is surrounded on all sides by sheer rock cliffs. There is this temple like construction carved into the cliff faces and like monument obelisk type things in the middle. It’s been abandoned and is all laid to waste. Anhoo, to cut a long story short I go exploring and come to this room that has at one end a big alcove which is covered with slats. I go up to the slats and try to pull them down but there jammed. So I tug on them really hard and they fly open revealing an almighty great statue of Death / The Grim Reaper (which ever you call him) with scythe and all! The weird thing is that it doesn’t scare me. Then after that happens I suddenly realise that this is a dream that I’ve had before. At that point it then ends…The weird thing is that I only usually remember the odd occasional dream, however if I’ve had this one I will always remember having it :confused:

One recurring dream I have once in a while regards my teeth. I clench them together with increasing force until they break into pieces inside my mouth.

What might this mean? Castration anxiety?

when i was about 9 i had a dream in which i woke up to see a strange being juggling with some balls by my dressing table, the balls rested in cups on the dresser and he picked them up with great difficulty and juggled them in slow motion. I wanted to try them but he said that they were made from extremely dense material, too heavy for me, and not from earth. this would be around 1944/45. I was keen on reading about astronomy at the time, but I don't recall any theories on super dense material being around at the time. When i first read about collapsed stars many years later, the dream came back to me. Was this a premonition or was there some theory i might have read and forgotten that prompted the dream?

If this was after August '45 and the atomic bombs on Japan, maybe you'd heard talk about Uranium and Plutonium, which are both denser than lead, I believe.

And the effects of the bombs certainly seemed 'out of this world' at the time.

If it was before that date, maybe you had some telepathic link with someone working on the Manhattan project.

stranger in my dreams

Has anyone ever dreamt about a stranger on a recurring basis? For the past 25 years I have dreamt about a middle aged man in a cap looking through my window or lurking in the shadows. I wouldn't say it's a nightmare but he does have a menacing presence. He always looks the same and he seems to regard me with malice. Perhaps it's a tv show I saw as a kid that had an impact on me.

No, but when I was very young I had my most intense dream ever, in which a disembodied voice proclaimed that "Carl Sagan is the devil".:eek!!!!:

It was the closest thing to having a relegious experience I have ever had. I remember being terrified of meeting someone called Carl Sagan for years afterwards, since I'd never heard of him at the time!

Of course I must have subconciously picked up the name from TV, but it was very disturbing the first time I saw him introduced on some astronomy program or other.

Brains are weird. And dreams have to be the weirdest thing they do.

dude..

Dude... I've heard a very, very, very similar story.

What actually happened was this guy had dreams as a kid about a bearded man who he'd never seen before... Had nightmares all the time about him.

Then one day... He bumped into the very guy he had seen in the dreams.

He never had the dream again.

Fooking bizarre.

No, the war was still on, it was not to long after this dream that I heard my first doodlebug. I did read a lot of astronomy books when young but I can't rememeber any refs. to dense matter. The dream was very vivid and scared me at the time.

I had a very disturbing dream last night, one of those you wake up from with a huge sense of relief. I dreamt that the world was visited by not one but two comets, and for some reason they were passing by the earth, due to orbit for a while at very close range, then fly off(!) However, although we knew it was coming, the astrophysicists got it wrong when they said it would be harmless. I was watching TV, and the BBC news was on, presented by the late Jill Dando(!), and it was basically an “end of the world” broadcast. The viewers were solemnly informed in that typical eloquent and sober BBC style that all humanity could do was sit tight and hope for the best. World leaders would give speeches that said a similar thing, that we should all stand together with dignity and hope for a miracle. There was a feeling of total helplessness. The programme then cut to a broadcast of the national anthem.
Then, as the comets neared, it began to get hot(!) and I could feel a burning sensation on one side of my body. I remember running out into the street, where there were lots of people all looking up into the sky. The sky was an inky black colour, and was boiling with three or four large but dim lights in it, slowly getting nearer.
I then woke up – I was too hot and had been lying on my arm which was now dead with no circulation. It seems to me that my subconscious was trying to tell me (a) I was too hot and (b) my arm was dead and woke me up. If I’d chosen a more literal interpretation I would be very worried indeed. It was extremely vivid.

Back