• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

DreamUp: Deviant Art's AI Image Creator

MrRING

Android Futureman
https://arstechnica.com/information...rtists-with-its-new-ai-art-generator-dreamup/

DeviantArt upsets artists with its new AI art generator, DreamUp [Updated]​

Confused artists discover their work will be used for AI training by default.​

Benj Edwards

On Friday, the online art community DeviantArt announced DreamUp, an AI-powered text-to-image generator service powered by Stable Diffusion. Simultaneously, DeviantArt launched an initiative that ostensibly lets artists opt out of AI image training but also made everyone's art opt in by default, which angered many members.

DreamUp creates novel AI-generated art based on text prompts. Due to its Stable Diffusion roots, DreamUp learned how to generate images by analyzing hundreds of millions of images scraped off sites like DeviantArt and collected into LAION datasets without artists' permission, a potential irony that some DeviantArt members find problematic.

As we've reported frequently on Ars in the past, Stable Diffusion's web-scraping nature ignited a huge debate earlier this year among artists that challenge the ethics of AI-generated artwork. Some art communities have taken hard stances against any AI-generated images, banning them completely.

Perhaps anticipating a backlash, DeviantArt is making overtures to pacify artists who might be upset about their work being used to train AI image generators. The site is providing a special "noai" flag that artists can check in their image settings to opt out of third-party image datasets. (Whether third-party image scrapers will honor this flag, however, remains to be seen.)

Ooh I had read about this on Reddit a few weeks ago. I am a working artist although more fine art than illustration these days, so the subject is quite fascinating to me - all the more so for the public response (some might call hysteria) ... with the advent of photography (both analog and digital) we witnessed a similar outcry, although this is something of a new frontier. Or is it? I imagine very little will come of it in terms of 'replacing artists', however it has definitely created a new discourse involving the potential issues and perceptions of 'originality' and what constitutes 'art', and a rather urgent one at that. It brings up questions about authenticity, copyright laws and as the article says, ethics.

It is difficult to put a fence around this. New technology will happen, we won't be able to tame it or hold it back, and like novel innovations of the past, this will eventually merge into our creative landscape, initially with some terrible unease, until it settles into a ...sort of...comfortable position. It will bring about new challenges, modes of expression and a good deal of gatekeeping and mud-flinging in artist communities.

Attitudes towards digital art are still somewhat uncomfortable even now, almost 2 decades on. Arguments still hiss and burn about whether enough 'work' goes into creating a digital piece, which brings up questions about why we expect 'good' art to be hard work. What defines hard work, and why should this be a feature of self expression or public art? Who knows. What is it about the undo feature that causes so much consternation and feather spitting? I see this regularly across the internet on almost all art related forums.

I have wondered about how AI will reshape the art of the future, and can certainly see bland corporate lapping it up, perhaps clipping a few existing jobs in the design/game/cartoon industries, but I am not quite so sure what difference it will make to individual artists. Some will delight in new tools, use AI as a guide to work from, taking ideas from it or working out concepts for later paintings, etc. But like any tool, it's impact will only gain significance once a human mind harnesses it.
Questions about us are more interesting....shining a light on how we perceive creativity and the rules we build around it.

I did hear that the creators used copyrighted art from all over the web to develop the AI, this is of course problematic. Ownership and originality are up for debate!

Back