• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drink / Drunk / Drugged Driving: Driving Under Influence

This Utah man was drunk enough to drive at high speed the wrong way on an Interstate and believe the highway patrol cruiser was racing him.
DUI suspect thought he was dreaming and that UHP trooper was trying to race him, police say

A man was arrested Saturday after police say he drove on the wrong side of the freeway at speeds over 100 miles per hour while intoxicated.

The man, later identified as 43-year-old Cory Roy White, was reported driving northbound in the southbound lanes of Interstate 15 near Nephi late Friday night or early Saturday morning.

When a Utah Highway Patrol trooper, a Nephi Police officer and Juab County Sheriff's deputies responded, they said he was clocked at 110 mph at one point during the pursuit.

The UHP trooper eventually was able to perform a pit maneuver and stop the driver's van.

White told the officer that he thought he was dreaming, and "he thought the Trooper was just trying to race him," according to the arrest report. ...

White was arrested on nine counts ranging from traffic infractions to felony-level offenses, including driving under the influence, reckless driving, reckless endangerment and having an open container of alcohol. He is being held without bail. ...

FULL STORY:
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...uhp-trooper-was-trying-to-race-him-police-say

This Irish driver was video-recorded driving erratically and crossing onto the wrong side of the road 20 times ...
Drunk driver who crossed onto wrong side of road 20 times jailed

A FATHER OF three who crossed over to the wrong side of the road twenty times whilst drink driving and then threatened to kill a concerned member of the public who confronted him has been jailed for three years.

Daniel Culhane who lives at an apartment in Owenahincha, Rosscarbery, Co Cork engaged in the dangerous driving on a two and a half kilometre stretch of road in the Enniskeane area of Co Cork on the 16 December 2020.

Cork Circuit Criminal Court heard evidence from Detective Garda Manus O’Donnell who said that Culhane drove dangerously whilst under the influence of alcohol and tablets and in a period of time where he was disqualified from driving.

Culhane also had no tax, insurance or driving licence at the time of the offence.
On the morning of 16 December, Culhane caused criminal damage in a Supervalu in Dunmanway, Co Cork breaking a glass panel on a rear door.

In search of alcohol he then stole 10 cans of cider from a convenience shop on the New Road in Bandon. Shortly after 10am he got in his car and drove in an erratic fashion on the Bandon to Enniskeane Road.

Garda O’Donnell said that mobile phone footage shot by a passenger in a car behind Culhane showed him crossing to the wrong side of the road twenty times during his drive. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.thejournal.ie/cork-man-jailed-drunk-driving-video-5355100-Feb2021/

Last edited:
Here's the video another driver recorded of the Irish case ...

A Connecticut woman blown away on multiple drugs attempted the drive-thru at McDonalds - not the drive-thru process, but a maneuver to drive through the McDonalds ...
Fairfield PD: Bridgeport woman on cocaine, PCP slammed car into McDonald's

A Bridgeport woman has been charged after she slammed into the McDonald’s on Post Road late last month while on cocaine and PCP, police said ...

The driver of a silver Hyundai Accent drove west across the grassy median of the Post Road traffic circle and then crashed into the side of the building at 536 Post Road, police said. No employees or patrons were hurt.

Police said the driver of the Hyundai, 33-year-old Yazmin Masas Hechavarria, appeared “disoriented” and had cuts on her hands from the collision. ...

Officers on scene suspected the woman might have been under the influence ...

In Hechavarria’s vehicle, police said, officers found marijuana, cocaine and several prescription narcotics. ...

Officers learned through their investigation that Hechavarria was under the influence of cocaine and phencyclidine — also known as PCP — at the time of the crash, police said. An arrest warrant was applied for and granted.

Hechavarria was taken into custody on Tuesday in the parking lot of a gas station on Boston Avenue in Bridgeport. At the time of her arrest, police said she was found in possession of cocaine.

She was taken to police headquarters and charged with driving under the influence of drugs, reckless driving, operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, two counts of possession of narcotics and failure to keep narcotics in the original container.

FULL STORY (With Video):
https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Fairfield-PD-Bridgeport-woman-on-cocaine-PCP-15938985.php

New Blood Alcohol Record Recorded By "Highly Intoxicated" Oregon Motorist

In what appears to be a new record for extreme DUI, a motorist’s blood alcohol content was measured at .77--more than nine times the legal limit--after he crashed his car following a short police chase Friday afternoon, Oregon cops report.

nathandanzuka21.jpg

Police today identified the DUI suspect as Nathan Danzuka, 28. Danzuka was arrested last year for DUI and reckless endangering, according to jail records.

According to investigators, the driver was involved in a hit-and-run in Madras, a city 125 miles southeast of Portland.

Upon locating the suspect vehicle, a Ford Explorer, cops sought to pull over the driver, but he sped away. A short chase ended when the man, who cops described as “HIGHLY intoxicated,” lost control of his car and crashed into a concrete barrier.

The driver was subsequently transported to a local hospital for a medical evaluation. A blood sample taken from the suspect was tested and showed his blood alcohol level was .778. The state’s legal limit is .08.

https://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/drunk-driving/new-bac-record-285971

maximus otter

I have NEVER got behind the wheel of a car after a drink - I have a very low tolerance level so although I may have been below the legal limit I knew I wasn't fit to drive.

However, I DO have to confess to having ridden my horse to the pub and then home again after a pint of cider. Again, I would probably have been under the legal limit (being in charge of a horse whilst over the limit is also illegal), but riding home down the bridlepath I was unlikely to be stopped.

And the horse knew the way, in any case.

I have NEVER got behind the wheel of a car after a drink - I have a very low tolerance level so although I may have been below the legal limit I knew I wasn't fit to drive.

However, I DO have to confess to having ridden my horse to the pub and then home again after a pint of cider. Again, I would probably have been under the legal limit (being in charge of a horse whilst over the limit is also illegal), but riding home down the bridlepath I was unlikely to be stopped.

And the horse knew the way, in any case.

Section 12, Licensing Act 1872:

"Every person who is drunk while in charge on any highway or other public place of any carriage, horse, cattle, or steam engine, or who is drunk when in possession of any loaded firearms, shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding forty shillings, or in the discretion of the court to imprisonment for any term not exceeding one month."

maximus otter

"Every person who is drunk while in charge on any highway or other public place of any carriage, horse, cattle, or steam engine, or who is drunk when in possession of any loaded firearms, shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding forty shillings, or in the discretion of the court to imprisonment for any term not exceeding one month."

maximus otter
Yes, I know. That's why I mentioned in my post being drunk in charge of a horse is illegal.

This Nebraska man seems to have been aiming for the maximum number or level of drunk driving offenses in a single incident. He was busted for DUI involving a high blood alcohol level, driving while already under a 15-year license revocation for past drunk driving arrests, and carrying an injured man to the hospital in the bucket of a stolen front-end loader.
Man arrested after driving man to Lincoln hospital in bucket of stolen front-end loader, police say

A 32-year-old who drove his friend to a Lincoln hospital in the bucket of a front-end loader Friday night was arrested for DUI and felony theft after blocking the ambulance bay with the stolen machinery ...

Officer Erin Spilker said Jordan Evans had taken the $75,000 front-end loader ... and showed up at the hospital with a 40-year-old man in the bucket just before 11 p.m. Friday.

Evans was taking the man to the hospital because he was injured, she said.

Police saw a bottle of alcohol in the vehicle and believed Evans was intoxicated. ...

They arrested Evans on suspicion of felony theft, fourth-offense DUI and driving during a 15-year license revocation. ...

Spilker said his blood-alcohol content tested 0.184%, more than double the legal limit, at the jail.

FULL STORY: https://journalstar.com/news/local/...cle_21a72e68-6527-595a-9196-2467d76f4189.html

He was busted for DUI involving a high blood alcohol level, driving while already under a 15-year license revocation for past drunk driving arrests, and carrying an injured man to the hospital in the bucket of a stolen front-end loader.

Legend!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

[Note: Humorous intent only. No admiration for criminal activity is implied or should be inferred. Drink responsibly. Stop when the fun stops. No glove, no love. No means no. Contents may settle in transit. Void where prohibited by law. Shake can until balls rattle.]

maximus otter

Tip: When stopped by cops suspicious you're driving while drunk, don't hand an officer your beer.
Don't hand your beer to a cop during a traffic stop

There are things to do during a traffic stop, and things not to do. Handing your open beer to a cop is one of them.

That's what happened to a man in McLennan County earlier this month when approached by game wardens. The game wardens were patrolling near Lake Waco when they were cut off by the driver of a pickup. ...

The man then drove on the wrong side of the road before the wardens pulled him over, police said.

When wardens approached the truck, the man was having trouble turning down his music, they said. As he fumbled with the radio, he apparently handed one of the wardens an open beer so he could concentrate. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/drunk-driving-game-warden-arrest-16257874.php

maximus otter
Drunk in charge of a steam engine on the highway strikes me as a fairly rare crime. A steam locomotive, maybe. Good legal argument to be had there.

Drunk in charge of a steam engine on the highway strikes me as a fairly rare crime. A steam locomotive, maybe. Good legal argument to be had there.
A guy i went to school with had a dad who was an alcoholic, after getting banned from driving he took to using a bicycle, until he was banned for riding whilst drunk

This Massachusetts mental marvel was driving in a state of inebriation sufficient to miss the fact his boat had fallen off its trailer and was being dragged along in the other lane of the two-lane highway.
Sandwich man faces OUI charges after dragging boat behind truck, police say

A Sandwich man faces driving under the influence charges after police said he dragged a 19-foot boat behind his vehicle.

At about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, Sandwich police said an officer was nearly stuck head on by a vehicle pulling a boat trailer on the Service Road. ...

The boat had fallen off the trailer and was being dragged in the opposite lane of traffic, police said. After avoiding a collision, the officer was able to stop the driver.

John Ferguson, 22, was arrested and charges with operating under the influence, negligent operation and marked lanes violations. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wcvb.com/article/sandwi...ragging-boat-behind-truck-police-say/37489772

This Alabama woman's legal woes from driving while intoxicated just got much worse (and weirder). You see, she struck and killed a man who was sitting in the middle of the road.
Woman charged in DUI crash that killed man who was sitting in the middle of a Jefferson County road

A 31-year-old woman has been charged in the August death of a man was killed when he was sitting in the middle of an eastern Jefferson County road.

Lyndsay Sara Bland is charged with manslaughter in the Aug. 1 death of 29-year-old Enrique Edward Millan Jr.

Bland, initially charged with DUI, was booked into the Jefferson County Jail on the manslaughter charge ...

The crash happened at 3:12 a.m. that Sunday at the intersection of Queenstown Road and Alabama Boulevard near the Trussville area. Jefferson County sheriff’s Sgt. Joni Money said deputies had received a call that a man was sitting in the road.

Moments later, they received a second call from a woman stating she had struck a person who was sitting in the road.

... During the investigation, it was discovered that the woman was intoxicated.
SOURCE: https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/...in-the-middle-of-a-jefferson-county-road.html

A drunken Detroit area pastor with multiple prior DUI arrests rams his car into a building, then turns around and rams the pursuing patrol car. This little stunt seems to have garnered him attempted murder charges.
Ferndale pastor with 8 DUI arrests accused of trying to kill deputies with car

A Ferndale pastor is in jail after police say he tried to kill two Arenac County sheriff's deputies with his car.

The terrifying ordeal happened Wednesday just off of I-75 near the Alger exit.

The pastor's name is David Jones, and according to the Hilton Oaks Baptist Church Facebook page, he gave sermons regularly at the church. ...

Court documents show Jones had a long history of drinking and driving, and his latest arrest was in August in Oakland County.

"If you turn your vehicle around and intentionally collide with a police vehicle, you are going to be charged with attempted murder on police," Arena County Undersheriff Don McIntyre said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wxyz.com/news/ferndale-...s-accused-of-trying-to-kill-deputies-with-car

In Pennsylvania Amish country the family horse-drawn buggy is still a vehicle you're expected to be sober to operate, and the horse doesn't count as an approved autonomous driving aid.
Amish buggy driver facing DUI charges

An Amish teen is facing driving under the influence charges after an officer stopped his traveling horse and buggy and reportedly found him passed out inside, according to a police account.

New Wilmington police have charged 19-year-old Enos S. Byler ... following the stop that occurred around 1:30 a.m. Oct. 8 on Route 208 in New Wilmington Borough.

A ... Westminster College public safety officer notified the police that he had passed the horse and buggy going west and saw a male driver who appeared to be unconscious.

A responding officer unsuccessfully tried to stop the horse and it continued with the passed out driver inside ... through a flashing red signal, swerving into the oncoming lane, the report said.

Another buggy driver helped the officer to stop the horse and buggy. The officer woke up the buggy driver after a couple of attempts, noting that he and the buggy smelled of alcohol ...

The report said that Byler ignored the officer's repeated requests and an order for him to get out of the buggy ... The paperwork noted that Byler had a half-case of Coors Light beer in the buggy, and he told police that he had drank nine of them. ...

Byler agreed to a blood alcohol test, which according to a hospital report showed that his blood alcohol level at 0.162 percent, the complaint said.

The legal blood alcohol limit for driving in Pennsylvania is .08 percent. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.ncnewsonline.com/news/a...cle_9bd8530e-3296-11ec-a4db-d7ddb4eb949b.html

This Ohio grandmother was multi-impaired, what with the vodka, the coke, and just waking up from having passed out behind the wheel ...
Cocaine-snorting grandma with vodka in the car arrested for drunk driving
BROADVIEW HEIGHTS, Ohio ...

On Nov. 2, police were dispatched to a Royalton Road gas station regarding a woman passed out behind the wheel of a silver Nissan. The caller said the woman woke up and had just left the parking lot.

An arriving officer spotted the Nissan as it entered Interstate 77 southbound without using a turn signal.

While talking to the woman, the officer observed a faint smell of alcohol. She denied drinking, and told the officer that she had just dropped off her grandchild ...

The driver was slurring her words and acting confused. After failing a field sobriety test, during which she lost her balance multiple times, the woman was arrested for drunken driving.

During a search of the Nissan, police found an open bottle of vodka, as well as two straws with a white powdery substance, which tested positive for cocaine.

The grandmother was charged with drug abuse, possession of drug paraphernalia, not using her turn signal and open container.
SOURCE: https://www.cleveland.com/community...driving-broadview-heights-police-blotter.html

Young woman suspected of driving under the influence hits a deer. She and her passenger(s) load the deer into her hatchback. The deer turns out to be quite alive. The driver drives on anyway. The cops pull her over and free the deer. As I said, it's suspected she was driving under the influence.
Suspected DUI driver hit deer, put it in hatchback – still alive – and kept driving: police

Police in York County made an unexpected discovery Thursday night when they pulled over a hatchback under suspicion of DUI.

A 19-year-old woman, pulled over around midnight in the area of Old Trail and Old York roads, had a deer in the back of her car, according to Newberry Township police.

After hitting the deer, the 19-year-old and her passengers loaded it into the car while it was still alive ...

“After a short time, they had realized the deer was still alive however continued to drive with the animal in the vehicle,” police said.

Police released video of the deer being unloaded from the car during the traffic stop and released back into the wild. It’s unclear how badly the deer was hurt from the crash. ...
FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.pennlive.com/crime/2022...back-still-alive-and-kept-driving-police.html

Video of the deer's release is accessible on YouTube.

This Wisconsin man was arrested for driving drunk. His passenger (and wife) then drove away in their car - and crashed it into a utility pole. She was then arrested for drunk driving herself.
During husband's OWI arrest, wife drives away, crashes, arrested for OWI herself, Grant County authorities say

While her husband was being arrested for OWI early Sunday morning, a Wauzeka woman drove their vehicle away, crashed it and was arrested for OWI herself ...

Shortly after 1:30 a.m. Sunday, Boscobel police notified the Grant County Sheriff's Office of a vehicle that had crashed into a utility pole on Wisconsin Avenue in Boscobel, Sheriff Nate Dreckman said in a statement. ...

The Boscobel officer said he was processing an OWI arrest and that he believed the driver who had crashed into the pole had been the passenger of the person he was arresting for OWI. The passenger was supposed to be waiting for a sober driver to arrive, Dreckman said.

The Sheriff's Office assisted with the crash and determined that the driver, Sara Stowell, 40, of Wauzeka, was driving the 2015 Ford Edge after the OWI arrest of her husband and drove it over the curb and into the pole ...

Stowell, who said she was not injured, was arrested for a first offense of OWI ...
FULL STORY: https://madison.com/news/local/crim...cle_43bbd668-c4ba-51d6-b05a-6e7682168f8f.html

This Florida man self-identified as "high and happy" when a cop intercepted him for erratic driving. He doesn't look so happy in his mug shot ...

FLMan-DUI-220217.jpg
Man stopped in Florida Keys for DUI tells deputies he’s high and happy

A late morning DUI stop turned interesting when a Jupiter, Fla., man told Monroe County Sheriff’s deputies that he was high and happy from his vape pen.

Theodore John Evans, 51, was pulled over ... on Wednesday, Feb. 16 ... According to the sheriff’s office, it had received a number of calls that a driver in a Toyota RAV4 was driving erratically — running red lights, passing in no-passing zones, and not staying in one lane of traffic.

According to Lt. David Smith who stopped Evans, the man was speaking quickly and nonsensically about how high he was “due to his use of a vape pen.” The deputy reported that Evans’ eyes were watery and bloodshot and that he failed field sobriety tests.

Marijuana candies, a glass pipe, and a vape pen were found inside Evans’ SUV ...
FULL STORY: https://www.local10.com/news/local/...-tells-deputies-hes-high-and-happy-from-vape/

Yes, Amish folks can be arrested for drunk driving in a horse-drawn buggy.
‘Reckless’ Amish buggy driver accused of DUI tells Pa. cops he ‘had a couple beers’

The horse-drawn buggy was being driven so recklessly the wheels were throwing sparks, Pa. cops say. When they pulled it over, the man driving it told police he “had a couple of beers,” resulting in his arrest for DUI. ...

Byler faces a misdemeanor driving under the influence charge and was also cited for careless and reckless driving. This, after Brookville Police said they observed the Amish horse and buggy he was driving being operated in a “reckless manner.”

Police say they began following the horse and buggy and watched as it sped up while rounding a turn. Byler then locked the buggy’s brakes and slid the wheels, sending sparks flying ...
FULL STORY: https://www.pennlive.com/crime/2022...-of-dui-tells-cops-he-had-a-couple-beers.html

Back