• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drink / Drunk / Drugged Driving: Driving Under Influence

Good grief..

Drunk driver knocks woman off her bike then runs over her

The woman, in her 70s, suffered life-changing injuries after being crushed beneath the wheels of a 4x4 driven by Steven Selwood, 43, who was four times over the limit.

She was cycling over a crossroad in Haslemere on May 12 last year when Selwood came out of a side road and knocked her off in broad daylight.

Sentence seems very lenient to me. Video at link.

View attachment 66148
That is horrifying.
That man should never drive a car again, but they only banned him for 3 years.

I don't understand why anyone would ride a velocipede in the UK. The weather's unsuitable. The terrain's unsuitable. The roads are unsuitable. It's Russian Roulette, sooner or later you're going to get squashed.

Awful case, I having a passing acquaintance with the victim, who was (obviously) very badly injured... she lost a leg. Some time ago she told me that she didn't expect the driver to be convicted, because he fled the scene and was arrested at home later, and the breathalyser results wouldn't be valid. I'm glad he was jailed.
That’s terrible, but is it the same case?

The Metro mentions ‘life-long scars’ but doesn’t mention her losing a leg, & from the report it sounds like he was arrested at the scene after stopping his car & walking back.

Could be crap reporting from the Metro of course..

That’s terrible, but is it the same case?

The Metro mentions ‘life-long scars’ but doesn’t mention her losing a leg, & from the report it sounds like he was arrested at the scene after stopping his car & walking back.

Could be crap reporting from the Metro of course..
Definitely the same case.

Wow, even worse then. Extremely light sentence in that case..

And shows how shoddy the reporting is in these sort of outlets.
The article (or an article, somewhere, actually I think it was ITV) did mention "life-changing injuries" which they certainly were. She used to be a bit of a character who you would always see cycling around town, now she can't cycle and walks with a frame.

Here we go, ITV news:
https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2023-05-13/shocking-video-shows-drink-driver-running-over-cyclist

The article (or an article, somewhere, actually I think it was ITV) did mention "life-changing injuries" which they certainly were. She used to be a bit of a character who you would always see cycling around town, now she can't cycle and walks with a frame.
Poor woman, that’s terrible.

Here we go, ITV news:
https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2023-05-13/shocking-video-shows-drink-driver-running-over-cyclist
Much the same as the Metro version.. You’d think losing her leg would be worth mentioning.

I don't understand why anyone would ride a velocipede in the UK. The weather's unsuitable. The terrain's unsuitable. The roads are unsuitable. It's Russian Roulette, sooner or later you're going to get squashed.
Fitness, economy, fun, reducing engine emissions and best of all, never being held up by traffic jams.

never being held up by traffic jams.
Instead you get held up by cycle jams, yeah?
1684075913677.png

Not much choice when I can't get a parking permit at work because I live in the wrong postcode!

Not the cleverest way of avoiding arrest
Colorado driver tried to avoid DUI by switching seats with dog, police say
Published
21 hours ago

A car is pulled over
IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
By Madeline Halpert
BBC News
A speeding driver who was pulled over in Colorado tried to switch seats with his dog in the passenger seat to evade arrest, according to police.

An officer approached the car and watched the bizarre scene unfold.

The man was initially stopped for speeding at 52mph (84km/h) in a 30mph zone.

He was also intoxicated, the Springfield Police Department wrote in a Facebook post.

"The driver attempted to switch places with his dog ... as the SPD officer approached and watched the entire process," the department said in a statement.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65608917

Back