• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drone Mischief (Harassment; Crime; Pranks; Etc.)

I was wondering if they could sue the airport if it turns out to have been mass hysteria. I agree it isn't the fault of the airlines.
It was definitely UFOs and it's being covered up, obviously. Saw them meself, definitely. Would have got a piccie but me tin foil hat blew off.

Travel Insurers would cover the losses unless you've chosen some cheap jack Insurer based in the Caribbean or some such , although apparently some have tried wrongly to repudiate liability. 170,000 losses at average of say £2k - a good few quid there I suspect. A total and utter debacle.

I feel sorry for the innocent couple the police arrested and whose details were then leaked to the press.

Due to police incompetence, these guys had their house torn apart and were made public enemy no. 1 for a couple of days.

Agreed - this sort of thing will age them.

I only hope they wring as much money as possible out of the idiotic press and tell "their side". Morgan ffs.

Then they can emigrate.

I only hope they wring as much money as possible out of the idiotic press and tell "their side". Morgan ffs.

Then they can emigrate.
Seems like they would have no trouble finding some very aggressive lawyers to squeeze damages out of the assholes.

Then they can emigrate.

It's not the press so much as the (keystone) cops.
The police arrested the couple AND leaked their details, presumably to allay any criticism that the police weren't doing anything.
Because this was such a high-profile case, you can't expect the press not to splash what was leaked to them on the front page.
The couple should sue Sussex police's socks off.

Last edited:
I can picture it now at Sussex police HQ.

"Oi Guv. Fancy another Krispy Kreme?"

"Is Jacob Rees-Mogg a Catholic?"

"You got it, Guv. By the way have you heard that the public have been laughing at us and saying that those drone flyers have been making fools of us?"

"What?!!! <splutters chunks of doughnut around the office>. I'm not having that. Pull a couple of people in."

"But who Guv?"

"I don't care. Anyone. Just make it clear to the press that we have apprehended two suspects in which we are very and make sure you stress the VERY, interested."

"Fair enough Guv. Can I put the flashing lights on?"

"Only if you bring me back a fresh tray of Krispy Kremes."

It's not the press so much as the (keystone) cops.
The police arrested the couple AND leaked their details, presumably to allay any criticism that the police weren't doing anything.
Because this was such a high-profile case, you can't expect the press not to splash what was leaked to them on the front page.
The couple should sue Sussex police's socks off.

Would be interesting to hear what evidence the boys in blue had to even start questioning the couple. The guy had in the past radio controlled models, including a drone. Is that it? I expect on that basis I'll be nabbed sometime soon. If entirely innocent, in their position I think I'd be making one hell of a stink.

Then they can emigrate.
To *something something something" Cromer hopefully.

Would be interesting to hear what evidence the boys in blue had to even start questioning the couple. The guy had in the past radio controlled models, including a drone. Is that it? I expect on that basis I'll be nabbed sometime soon. If entirely innocent, in their position I think I'd be making one hell of a stink.

Assuming the info on this link is correct, he only owned sub 250g drones which wouldn't have been capable of causing this much trouble, or even being out in adverse conditions

https://heavy.com/news/2018/12/paul...lHqRinBbw7nOsHm1Iv0GOaRfFoehhEO3N_jT4WU9_KDXY

Kewdos to Heavy.com for posting that while the rest of the media was still foaming at the mouth.

This is rather interesting in context:

France’s Vinci Airports is taking a controlling stake in Gatwick for £2.9bn, a week after the UK’s second-biggest airport was brought to a standstill by a series of drone sightings.

A consortium led by the US investment fund Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) is selling a majority stake of 50.01% in the airport to Vinci Airports, one of the world’s top airport operators and part of the infrastructure group Vinci. Vinci and GIP will manage Gatwick together.

The deal, which was agreed on Thursday, was delayed by the chaos caused by three days of drone sightings in the run-up to Christmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...airport-sold-to-french-group?CMP=share_btn_tw

Have we read the alleged BBC reports from the local Police that there may have been no physical drones actually present?

https://www.iflscience.com/technolo...-sending-conspiracy-theorists-into-overdrive/

Like many contemporary news reports, this has never sounded to be entirely-real from the outset

Don't worry: there's a perfectly ordinary explanation for it all.

It was just a UFO. Obviously.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/gatwick-drones-ufo-spotters-think-13775521

https://www.ufoinsight.com/what-was-actually-going-on-over-gatwick-airport/

Morning, funny how there was all that alarm over the drone at Gatwick Airport and then this week a French company has bought a huge stake in Gatwick for over £2 billion!!! The police say they couldn't "find" the drone!!! The losers...... The couple who were "found guilty" of flying the drone and the people stuck at Gatwick,waiting to go on their Christmas holidays!!! Would be great if the French company paid for any expenses that the people had to pay for hotels, taxis etc!!!!

Interesting youtube channel for ruminations on the drones (or lack thereof)

What he does point out that never ocurred to me is that we had the technology to disrupt and detect radio signals 40 years ago as it was developed to make it harder for terrorist bombs to be radio controlled - but we can't do anything about a drone?

Interesting youtube channel for ruminations on the drones (or lack thereof)

What he does point out that never ocurred to me is that we had the technology to disrupt and detect radio signals 40 years ago as it was developed to make it harder for terrorist bombs to be radio controlled - but we can't do anything about a drone?
I'm sure I read that only the Services have the technology to disrupt signals of this type and one of them was ready to get involved. Not much use if there was nothing there of course. A strange incident and conspiracy theories will be endless..

Back