• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drug-Laced Candy / Sweets

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It has elements of a UL but at $10 a go people aren't going to think they are buying ordinary sweets. Also it has a high like smoking cannabis and/or taking ecstasy?

Police warn parents of drug-laced candy

January 31, 2004

Chicago Police on Friday night were warning the public, especially parents, about drug-laced candy suckers being sold on the West Side.

The lollipops, known as "dro pops," were going for each between Central Park and Independence, and between 13th Street and Douglas, police spokeswoman Alice Casanova said.

The lollipops have tested positive for THC, the main substance in marijuana, as well as PCP, developed in the 1950s as an intravenous anesthetic. They can provoke highs similar to those caused by smoking marijuana, taking ecstasy or a combination of both.

Police don't know how many drug-laced suckers have been sold.

The suspicious lollipops were sent to be tested after police found them on a person arrested in early January. It is not clear if that person was ever charged, according to Casanova. The test results came back Friday and showed traces of the drugs, Casanova added.

Police are encouraging anyone with information on the lollipops to call them.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-sucker31.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds real. Suckers are less suspicious than bags of obvious drugs by far.

It does call to mind fears about "LSD-laced stickers and temporary tattoos" in the 80's. Ridiculous idea. Why would dealers secret expensive illicit drugs to school kids when they could sell them?

I find it mildly suspect, I've never heard PCP descibed as having a similar effect to pot or Ecstacy before, IIRC it's better known for sending people utterly bugf*ck.

I remember warnings about this sort of thing coming round periodically when I was at school. No-one ever offered *me* anything.

I suppose it could be possible that lollipops would be doctored with drugs, but I'd imagine this would be some fad within clubs, etc. And the cops came across these lollipops in a drugs raid and made an automatic connection between lollipops and children.

I was involved in the community anti-drugs campaign in Dublin in the mid 1990s and this tale about drug laced sweets did the rounds then. There was one old guy in particular who used to stand up at public meetings and present it as a 'shock horror' story. He used to say that pushers waited at schools and gave the kids sweets laced with heroin, so as to get them hooked. People were inclined to believe it because there really was (still is) a massive heroin problem. And they repeated it to other people and so the story spread. However the guy, when questioned, could not name the school or a source for the story. Anyway, how could heroin be incorporated into sweets - it has to be either injected or smoked. No teachers reported such a happening. There WERE drugs in schools and kids seen shooting up while wearing school uniforms, etc. However they knew what they were doing, it wasn't sweets.

I think there are elements of the 'stranger danger' type of ULs in these stories. The truth is that kids get drugs from other kids, their brother's mate, or whoever. Someone they know, and so it is not a 'drug pusher', but just a 'friend'. In fact the person is, of course, a drug dealer. It is difficult for people to face up to this so they prefer to believe in some nasty evil stranger luring their children into the drug scene. Easier to accept than that it is a close relative or neighbour.

On sweets and drugs too there was a 10 minute panic here once about Polo mints. Polo had brought out a new line of sweets, whereby they sold the bit from the middle, the hole. Or rather the bit of sweet left over after the hole had been made. They came in a wee tube and had the letters 'P', 'O' and 'L' on them. They looked a bit like tablets all right. Our scummy rag tabloid the 'Evenig Herald' printed a front page story about the police coming across these and testing them for drugs, statements from unnamed 'sources', shocked parents, blah, blah.

First what kid is going to be tricked into paying $10 for a lolly. You can buy several bags of lollies for that. Also I always heard the drug sticker thing and they always said LSD. Personally I don't know how making kids go on a wild trip is going to benefit drug dealers. And even if they gave kids Heroin soaked lollies, the kids wouldn't know what made them feel that way and how to get more. It is like that UL about the needles and razorblades in candy at halloween. Absurd. Every year they advertise to get your candy X-rayed at the local hospitals for free as if a good once over by the parents isn't good enough. It is all madness to make parents so paranoid they are afraid to let their kids do anything.

gl5210 said:
First what kid is going to be tricked into paying for a lolly. You can buy several bags of lollies for that. Also I always heard the drug sticker thing and they always said LSD. Personally I don't know how making kids go on a wild trip is going to benefit drug dealers. And even if they gave kids Heroin soaked lollies, the kids wouldn't know what made them feel that way and how to get more.

This is because no one knows the details of "drugs." In America especially, we lump everything illegal as a "drug" and assume they all do the same thing. Heroin takes multiple dosings to get you hooked, and LSD isn't addictive at all. In some versions of the LSD sticker story, the unfortunate recipient "goes insane forever" because he got one tab of acid. Reefer madness anyone?

Yet we're encouraged to drink alcohol. Culture is weird.

I agree, I personally have never done drugs. But you're right. No legal pot for you but drink til your liver is completely pickled. It seems to me that alot of time, energy, money and lives are wasted on drug enforcement. Legalize it tax the crap out of it and you hurt the really nasty characters alot more that way. If people want to get high they will period. And don't even get me started on the whole tobacco thing!! The state of Florida won this huge lawsuit and rather than putting it into healthcare and education at school they have the most annoying adds on the planet to tell you not to smoke. They are so annoying that they make you want to go light up.(I don't smoke). People just waste to much time and energy trying to manage other peoples lives!! Usually they can't even manage their own much less the people in it. Guess that is why they have to tell everyone else how to live.

Oh, and don't forget the zero tolerance for drugs policy that gets kids taking an advil for a headache expelled from school!! OOOO get away its IBUPROFEN!!!!

This has all the hallmarks of an UL. However, what a neat way to sell drugs to adult users? They can afford the $10 and if they're picked up on the street, all they have is a lolly-pop in their pocket. Especially good if they're carried with other, harmless, candies!

I remember the fuss when some drinks company sold a cocktail in a large syringe - good fun for those in clubs who think that kind of thing is hilarious but the authorities did have a point when they said that the empties might be used for other, less legal activities.

All the time there are people who want to try or who are addicted to drugs, there'll be a ready market and vast profits to be made. And drug cartels have more funds than government agencies and less restrictions on operational proceedure. Personally I'd flood the market with highly toxic crack and heroin - this would kill off the junkies, discourage first-time users and really upset the black economy. Problem is, of course, this would be morally wrong. Just a thought though ...

Stormkhan said:
All the time there are people who want to try or who are addicted to drugs, there'll be a ready market and vast profits to be made. And drug cartels have more funds than government agencies and less restrictions on operational proceedure. Personally I'd flood the market with highly toxic crack and heroin - this would kill off the junkies, discourage first-time users and really upset the black economy. Problem is, of course, this would be morally wrong. Just a thought though ...

I wouldn't put something like this below the US government. But it wouldn't help them.

We have a Drug War because it makes endless jobs and slowly increases federal power. It's also a really nifty thing to have when you want to, say, stop random black people on the street and search them. Recall that the whole affair basically started as a racist UL.

I think people concentrate way to much on teaching there kids this crap and not enough time just teaching them to behave. I think just a good never take candy from strangers should cover it all. Without added paranoia, children just don't get to be children anymore. They are given WAY to much information about things like that at WAY to young an age. I personally teach my child caution without the gory details. She will learn soon enough.

The progagandist nature of what the government (UK one in my case) tells kids doesn't help. I remember some speaker about smoking twisting the facts round to make it sound like a single cigarette would have a negative effect on your health that would last 20 years. With blatant lies like that being told about soft drugs, why should a kid believe what they're told about hard drugs?

Be honest with the kids, I say. Tell them the truth, try to give them guidance but in the end they'll make their own decisions and thats how it should be.

THere is the anti-drug comercial here with a girl about fifteen smoking pot and then of course a boy taking advantage of her. I personally have never smoked but my sis used to. She gets really mad when she sees these. She says that is unrealistic and kids that age know it so they aren't going to listen. A friend of mine and I used to steal her mom's cigarettes when we were kids all kids try things. Whether it is drinking, smoking or drugs. You just need to give them realistic info. Drugs never appealed to me just because I had alot of friends that did it and they always seemed to make the most idiotic decisions that was a big turn of for me.

I've dabbled a (very) little in pot, but I've seen it take over too many people's lives to continue to do so. The evidence of your own experience is the only thing you can rely on in the end, especially when authorities lie, or at least stretch the truth to breaking point.

The bit about the lollies testing positive for THC is kind of interesting. So far as I'm aware (not being involved in street drugs for 20 years or so), THC is very very hard to synthethize or extract. In the late 70's the rule of thumb was that anyone who was selling THC was actually selling Angel Dust (PCP). And BlackRiverFalls recalls correctly, PCP is bad stuff. Makes you lose all control and sense of proportion. So I can't see these being for the clubbers, and I can't see the sort of people who do PCP intentionally (outlaw bikers, for example) walking around with lollies. Either someone cobbled up some very expensive special nasties as a trick/trap, or someone at Chicago PD is full of crap.
Remember, it was in in Chicago that the lawyer went to see his client in jail, and found him all battered and bruised. Asking the poilce what had happened, the officers replied "He fell down the stairs." "Yeah, " said the client, "Six times."

Surely they wouldn't have to contain pure THC to test positive for THC .... I mean I'd probably test positive for it too and I am made of all sorts of stuff :) What I mean is opium straight out of the pod (mmm! ;) ) would test positive for morpheine, if it were morpheine specifically one were testing for, it wouldn't have to be the medical grade extract.

Synthetic medical THC pills are now available in the 'medical marijuana' states in the US ... brand name Marinol.

PCP was sold as THC on the States in the 70s mainly apparently, but there wouldn't be any confusion in a drug test.

I have never come across PCP but I can imagine it might have a toe hold in the dance scene as it is only a dissociative anaesthetic like ketamine, or DXM; the whole he-cut-off-his-face-and-it-took-twenty-policemen-just-to-hold-him-down thing being one of those slight exagerations that common knowledge about drugs is rife with, from what I can tell (although I am not claiming it *never* happened), although PCP was originally withdrawn from use as an anaesthetic in humans because of delusional and psychotic reactions, rather like ketamine.

The drug laced sweets thing just doesn't work for me because oral consumption is so inefficient to be anything more than a novelty for most of the drugs usually cited ... cannabis, pcp etc are usually smoked simply because you get a bigger hit quicker for less material ... even something that is normally consumed in pill form is going to take much longer to get into the system from a boiled sweet ..... there's nothing that unusual about cannabis confectionary though really ... there are lots of lovely little old ladies selling it at Glastonbury each year but I really doubt it is being cooked up by cackling drug-pushers to ensnare the innocent!

I did once attend an event where LSD blotters had been painstakingly inserted into fruit pastils which had been put back into the tube in order that they could be casually handed out to the guests (who were completely aware of what was being offered) by the host as 'party favours' without arousing suspicion ... I suppose if he had been arrested on the way to the do with a couple of packs of these in his pocket a whole new UL might have arisen .......

Police find more drugs disguised as lollipops

March 3, 2004

BY ANA MENDIETA Staff Reporter

Chicago police warned again Tuesday of the dangers posed by drugs disguised in candy suckers as they announced the confiscation of some three dozen lollipops laced with controlled substances.

Charges were filed against a man allegedly involved in the scheme. A total of 34 candy suckers that tested positive for PCP, a hallucinogen, and THC, the active component in marijuana, were recovered Tuesday from an undisclosed location during a search warrant executed by the Chicago Police Department's Special Operation Section, said Sgt. K. Barry.

Also taken were 340 rounds of ammunition and 0 cash.

Police have been investigating the sale of drug-laced lollipops on the West Side after they were found on a person arrested in early January. The candy suckers, known as "dro pops," have been selling for to each in the area between 13th Street and Douglas and Central Park and Independence, police said.

No one has been reported sick from ingesting these lollipops. But police are issuing a clear warning that these candy suckers can be very dangerous and cause a feeling of supernatural strength and an altered sense of reality.

"Because of the way they are packaged, they create an unwarranted hazard to children who don't know they contain drugs and quite literally can be poisonous,'' Barry said.

Michael A. Pernell, 29, of the 1300 block of South Central Park, was charged Tuesday with possession of controlled substance and possession with intent to deliver. At least three other people have been charged in the sale of drug-laced lollipops, said Marquette District Lt. Ricardo Mancha.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-pops03.html

you can get lollys with cannabis in them, i ve had one and it was quite tasty to be honest. My mates dad brings them back for her when he holidays in holland.

The sweets with drugs in being sold to school kids is a total urban legend. At work a colleague raised it as a problem, and i had to point out that it was a lie. It rears its head every now and then, but realistically no dealer would specifically market to school children due to the limited funds they possess. Fast food companies have done a far better job. When i was a kid it was LSD in superman temporary tattoos, and i remember reading a right wing christian orgs anti-halloween leaflet where a real witch (pointy hat and everything) was giving kids poisoned sweets!!! Just ordinary paranoid people trying to spread their own brand of madness.

things to add

lsd is unstable to heat and light, it is allso destroyed by chlorine,
and thc isnt economicly profitable to extract like that and sell compared to other cannabis products like skunk,pot,hashish,skuff

atchoo!

The drug laced sweets are back, and this time it's for real.... apparently:

Deadly raw opium smuggled into West Yorks as sweets

These innocent-looking boxes of sweets could kill a child.

Drug dealers peddling opium in Leeds are disguising their goods by wrapping the raw drug to look like sweets.

And a senior police officer said if a child ate one by accident it would die.

The city is seeing an upsurge in the smuggling of raw opium – a dried dark resin – and it is feared drug dealers may be finding it easier to bring in opium undetected than its refined and more modern form – heroin.

Like heroin, opium is a Class A drug and illegal for any non medical person to use, possess or distribute.

The sweets were among 27 kilograms of opium seized by police. Much of this has been recovered from Leeds and Huddersfield and it is suspected that it originated from Turkey and Iran.

If the 'sweets' had been eaten by children they could have been killed, said a detective.

If you have any information about anyone using opium, or where opium is being stored or being brought into the country contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or Website on www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 4644598.jp

So what does your average bag-head do with a sweetie sized lump of opium? Take it back to his laboratory and refine it into smack? I'd have thought it would be easier (and more profitable) to smuggle H into the country than lumps of opium. I wonder just how tasty a lump of opium is, and whether a kiddie would simply spit it out and head for the jelly beans?

Perhaps drug dealers are catering for a resurgent market of Chinamen sitting in smokey opium dens - how quaint and retro!

Interesting to read the previous posts on this thread, I can't remember the last time I heard any reference to PCP or Angel Dust, eeeeh it brings back memories of being a youthful nutcase and looking forward to getting my hands on some. Never did, probably just as well!

Opium has one of those 'grown-up' flavours ;) .... i.e. it is actually really bitter and not something anyone, especially a child expecting a sweet, would eat for the taste, but I reckon it would still be rather dangerous for anyone, except perhaps if they had a very hungry monkey on their back, to put a lump that size in their mouth and chomp down on it.

It's always been hard but possible to get in the UK - maybe it's coming back into fashion in its own right. As you say, importing opium to make heroin doesn't really seem to make sense.

A bit of homemade laudenum is great jungle medicine for the sort of fever-and-explosive-arse conditions that sometime affect travellers in areas where it is more readily available. ;)

Does anyone else remember the dummy filled with drugs UL that did the rounds in the 90s? I don't remember too much - I know it was mid 90s as me and my sister were both at secondary school. It was the fashion to wear necklaces with dummies on - I hasten to add not real dummies, they were made out of plastic and in different colours, generally see through plastic if I remember. Anyway, there was something on newsround about how they were being filled with drugs adn given to unsuspecting kiddies who would suck on them and get high.....

I don't know the origins or very much else about it but I do think the necklasces were also popular with older kids who went to raves which might be the link.

Then there is the old LSD as fake tattoos story, which my mum still fights again st today at the school she works in. I think it even made it into a story line for grange hill.

I think its some kind of reaction - people know there is a serious drugs problem out there abnd that young kids are getting hooked but seem to come up with stories about how it "accidently" gets taken by kids rather than accepting the fact that some kids are exposed to it by friends/family and experiment knowingly.

Mildly related - I was talking to a girl at university earlier, and she told me that at school she'd been a real prefect, always grassing up people and fiercely anti-smoking and drugs. And so when someone gave her a strange pill, she really went off on one and got the person concerned into all sorts of trouble - and later realised it was a tic-tac.

Thought we had a thread on this sort of thing but can't find one.

Trick-or-treat children given cocaine in Oldham

Children were handed packets of cocaine instead of sweets on a Halloween trick-or-treating trip, Greater Manchester Police have said.

Police were called after children found the class A drug among bags of sweets after visiting Mendip Close, Royton, at 19.50 GMT on Wednesday.

Two snap bags of cocaine were recovered by police.

etc

Sounds like a mixture of ULs about kids being sold drugs at the school gates and razor blades embedded in Halloween apples! :lol:

It said on the radio a couple had been arrested, so looks like this is no UL! Unbelievably stupid.

AsamiYamazaki said:
Unless the street value of funsize mars bars has gone through the roof

:lol:

I just pictured two coke-heads snorting a sherbet fountain saying, "This coke's shit!"

Back