• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Druids & Druidry

Since when has a religion that was entirely invented around 200 years ago got any sort of tribal ancestors? Contemporary Druids have no connection with the ancient Druids except in their imagination....

Timble2 said:
Since when has a religion that was entirely invented around 200 years ago got any sort of tribal ancestors? Contemporary Druids have no connection with the ancient Druids except in their imagination....

You'll be sacrificed to the Goddess for that.

Timble2 said:

Hmmm, just thinking. Some religions were invented even less than 200 years ago - eg Mormonism which was based on a bad early SF novel.

A religion shouldn't get any extra kudos because it was invented 2,000 years for the xtians or 1300 years ago for the Muslims.

ramonmercado said:
Hmmm, just thinking. Some religions were invented even less than 200 years ago - eg Mormonism which was based on a bad early SF novel.

Mormonism - based on a bad SF novel? News to me.
Perhaps you are thinking of Scientology?

Mythopoeika said:
ramonmercado said:

Mormonism - based on a bad SF novel? News to me.
Perhaps you are thinking of Scientology?

Nope, it was the Mormons.

Solomon Spalding (1761 – October 20, 1816) was the author of the supposed Manuscript Story,[1] a work of fiction about the lost civilization of the mound builders of North America. After Spalding's death, a number of individuals suggested that Manuscript Story was identical or similar to portions of the Book of Mormon, a scripture in the Latter Day Saint movement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Spalding

Joe Smith may also have ripped off:

View of the Hebrews is an 1823 book written by Ethan Smith (December 19, 1762 – August 29, 1849) which argues that native Americans were descended from the Hebrews. Numerous commentators on Mormon doctrine, from LDS Church general authority B. H. Roberts to biographer Fawn M. Brodie, have discussed the possibility that View of the Hebrews may have provided source material for the Book of Mormon, which Mormons believe was translated from ancient golden plates by Joseph Smith, Jr. [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_of_the_Hebrews

Timble2 wrote

There are three possible arguments (that I can think of) that might refute this standpoint: they are not mutually exclusive.

One: a recent DNA study apparently shows that current residents of the British Isles are about 80% descended [I can't remember how the maths works] from the original neolithic hunter-gatherer inhabitants who moved in as the ice-sheet retreated - all subsequent "invasions" and "migrations" must therefore have involved only relatively few numbers, but also extensive adoptions of new fashions, cultures and languages (among them Celtic languages, culture, and religion). If so, most of us Brits really are largely descended via people who at some stage had a top caste called "Druids".

Two: many neo-Pagans accept the concept of serial reincarnation (as for example do Hindus and Buddhists), so one's soul might actually be that of a former (ancient) Druidic practitioner. Moreover some also believe in recovered memories of past lives, enabling otherwise unrecorded Druidic practices of 2 millennia ago to be authentically re-adopted.

Three: just as comparative historical linguistic studies can partially re-create the Proto-Indo-European (PIE) ancestral to most current European and many Asian languages, even though PIE is physically unrecorded because its diversification predated the invention of writing, so might comparative historical religious studies enable us to draw inferences about ancient Druid teachings, unrecorded because writing them down was prohibited. I (and doubtless others) have previously speculated that Druidry and Hinduism may share deep roots, just as the Celtic and Hindi languages do: religion and language are after all both culturally transmitted, though not of course bound together.

Note that as a Fortean I don't "believe" or "disbelieve" any of these propositions, but rather assign them various and varying possibilities depending on the relevant evidence currently known to me. More is always welcome!

Druids in row over boy's skeleton
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 854134.stm

The skeleton, known as "Charlie", was discovered in 1929
A decision is due to be made over the future of a skeleton found near an ancient stone circle 80 years ago.

Druids have called for the remains of the three-year-old child to be reburied at Avebury, Wiltshire, out of respect.

But archaeologists insist the skeleton - currently on display at the Alexander Keiller museum - should be kept available for research and testing.

Public consultation on whether the remains should reburied ends this weekend.

English Heritage and the National Trust are due to make the decision on whether to rebury the skeleton on 31 January.

Human remains

The skeleton, known as "Charlie", was discovered at the nearby Neolithic site of Windmill Hill by archaeologist Alexander Keiller in 1929.

It has been on display at the local museum since it opened.

But in 2006 a claim was lodged by the Council of British Druid Orders to have Charlie and seven other human remains reburied.

Rollo Maughfling, the archdruid of Stonehenge and Glastonbury, said: "Beyond all the other philosophical, scientific and religious arguments, in the end it comes down to something called common human decency."

It's a very, very bad idea and it's entirely unnecessary, entirely unwarranted

Dr Josh Pollard, Bristol University

Fellow pagan Arthur Pendragon added: "These are human remains - you wouldn't dig your grandmother up from a churchyard."

But many archaeologists are unhappy that English Heritage and the National Trust are giving the druids' claim serious consideration.

Dr Josh Pollard, of Bristol University, said: "It's a very, very bad idea and it's entirely unnecessary, entirely unwarranted.

"I think it could set a very dangerous precedent, one in which we would find a situation where all prehistoric human remains held in museums, held in other collections across the United Kingdom, have to be reburied."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The full story features on Inside Out West on BBC One in the West region at 1930 GMT on Wednesday

Seems that the archaeologists have an age in mind at which human remains cease to become respected and suitable for decent burial/disposal or preservation for study.
When I worked for an archaeological group, it irritated me that any human remains discovered were examined by a pathologist (to ensure their origin, age and cause of death) then handed over - if requested - to scientists. Any that were "finished with" or not considered important by scientists were given a Christian burial, regardless of possible age/religious denomination.

Archdruid T James Jones installed at Wrexham eisteddfod
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/wales/10493684.stm

T James Jones is installed as the new archdruid of Wales in Wrexham T James Jones is installed as the new archdruid of Wales in Wrexham

The new archdruid of Wales has been installed as part of National Eisteddfod ceremonies in Wrexham.

The poet and playwright T James Jones succeeds the previous archdruid, Dic Jones, who died in 2009.

More than 1,000 people marched through Wrexham in the proclamation ceremony, highlighting that the town will host the 2011 National Eisteddfod.

Saturday's events include dance, song and instrumental performances by a number of local schools.

The Gorsedd of the Bards formed a procession through the town as part of the festival being held on Llwyn Isaf and Queens Square.

Mr Jones, whose bardic name is Jim Parc Nest, won the National Eisteddfod crown twice, and was the chaired bard at the Flintshire Eisteddfod in Mold in 2007.

Wrexham hosts the National Eisteddfod in August next year.
'Taste'

The proclamation festival includes handing the archdruid a copy of the list of competitors at next year's event.

National Eisteddfod chief executive Elfed Roberts said he hoped the proclamation festival would "give the people of Wrexham and the local area a taste of what's to come".

He said: "We are delighted that such a large number have responded to the invitations sent out to local schools, clubs and societies to take part in the proclamation festival."

This year's National Eisteddfod will be held on the old steelworks site on the outskirts of Ebbw Vale, Blaenau Gwent, from 31 July - 7 August.

Hooray! Now The Chief Druid will get invited to ecumenical services. Be wary if he calls for sacrifices!

Druidry to be classed as religion by Charity Commission
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11457795

Druids at Stonehenge Druidry is flourishing more now than at any time since the arrival of Christianity to Britain

Druidry is to become the first pagan practice to be given official recognition as a religion.

The Charity Commission has accepted that druids' worship of natural spirits could be seen as religious activity.

The Druid Network's charitable status entitles it to tax breaks, but the organisation says it does not earn enough to benefit from this.

The commission says the network's work in promoting druidry as a religion is in the public interest.

The move comes thousands of years after the first druids worshipped in Britain.
Continue reading the main story
Related stories

* Druids fear for Stonehenge centre
* Druids reburial appeal rebuffed
* Solstice sunrise obscured by fog

Druidry was one the first known spiritual practices in Britain, and druids existed in Celtic societies elsewhere in Europe as well.

Phil Ryder, chairman of the trustees of the Druid Network told the BBC: "It's nice to have that official recognition. It's not why we applied originally.

"We applied because we were legally obliged to do so."

He said the organisation represented around 350 people who had paid £10 each for membership but referred to a BBC Inside Out investigation from 2003 which suggested that up to 10,000 people described themselves as druids.

He added: "You have to apply [for charitable status] if you're an organisation that is taking money off people because the Inland Revenue want to know what you're doing with it."
Turning seasons

BBC religious affairs correspondent Robert Pigott says that with concern for the environment growing and the influence of mainstream faiths waning, druidry is flourishing more now than at any time since the arrival of Christianity.

Druidry's followers are not restricted to one god or creator, but worship the spirit they believe inhabits the earth and forces of nature such as thunder.

Druids also worship the spirits of places, such as mountains and rivers, with rituals focused particularly on the turning of the seasons.

After a four-year inquiry, the Charity Commission decided that druidry offered coherent practices for the worship of a supreme being, and provided a beneficial moral framework.

The decision will also mean that druidry will have the status of a genuine faith.
“Start Quote
King Arthur Pendragon

We are looking at the indigenous religion of these isles - it's not a new religion but one of the oldest”

End Quote Arthur Pendragon Battle Chieftain of the Council of British Druid Orders

Referring to the tax breaks, Mr Ryder said: "For us that is a very small consideration because we don't really have that level of income to make that even an issue."

He said what was more important was that it would make administrative tasks a lot easier for the organisation.

"It does give recognition with local councils and people who provide premises and services to charities, who will only deal with registered charities," he said.

Senior druid King Arthur Pendragon, told the BBC News website the organisation had had to "jump through hoops" to meet the commission's requirements.

Although he runs his own druid order, he said the Druid Network's achievement was a celebration for all members of the faith.

He said: "We are looking at the indigenous religion of these isles - it's not a new religion but one of the oldest."

The 56-year-old added that people were becoming more interested in finding spirituality and the decision reflected this.

"I think people are looking to their roots and looking back at the secular world certain that things don't work.

"This decision shows how important our faith is. We are getting credence from a secular government about our belief structure - which not only shows it is valuable but also valued by us and others."

Mr Pendragon, of Stonehenge, said he would not be seeking charitable status for his own order - the Loyal Arthurian Warband - as it was a political wing and therefore had no need to be recognised as a charity.

Just as a sideline to this thread I've met this fellow who claims to be the reincarnation of 'Arthur' on a few occasions, and know one of his daughters well. It certainly raises a few eyebrows when he walks into a pub carrying that sword!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Uther_Pendragon

What precisely is it that makes this impressive-looking gentleman's claims to be Arthur's reincarnation better than yours or mine?

P. S. My pen may not be draggin but every uther thing is.

Wait a minute, Terry, we are all of us descended from the Caesars and the Pharaohs.

So if in this year of our Lord 2010 I found the Christian Friends of Caligula or the Parliament of Pyramid Engineers can't I then legitimately claim that my new organizations are 20 or 30 centuries old rather that 20 or 30 minutes?

Personally I don't think it washes.

But since all religions are made up, does it matter whether they were made up 2000 years or 20 minutes ago?

misterwibble said:
But since all religions are made up, does it matter whether they were made up 2000 years or 20 minutes ago?

I hereby found the First Church of Richard Dawkins.

misterwibble said:

I dunno. The religion I made up 20 minutes ago probably won't be around 20 minutes from now, let alone 2000 years.

Some religions seem to be made up better than others.

OldTimeRadio said:
misterwibble said:

I dunno. The religion I made up 20 minutes ago probably won't be around 20 minutes from now, let alone 2000 years.

Some religions seem to be made up better than others.

I recognise you as Christs Vicar on Earth. I will prosletise among the Irish Left to win over adherents.

Archdruid's 2012 Olympic Welsh flag demand
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13927002

The 2012 National Eisteddfod is taking place at the same time as the London Olympics

Related Stories

New archdruid at eisteddfod event
Poet and playwright new archdruid

The Archdruid of Wales wants the Welsh flag to be raised for Welsh medal winners at the 2012 London Olympics.

T James Jones has also called for the Welsh national anthem to be played instead of God Save The Queen.

At a speech marking the visit of the National Eisteddfod to Barry next year he said "Britishness" was endangering Welsh identity.

Welsh Conservative MP David Davies said he was "talking rubbish" as most Welsh people were proud to be British too.

Mr Jones - who was installed as Archdruid of Wales as part of National Eisteddfod ceremonies in Wrexham last year - made the speech - at a proclamation ceremony in Barry.

He said: "Since Eisteddfod Bro Morgannwg will be held at the same time as the Olympic Games, in addition to honouring all the eisteddfod winners we will also be rejoicing in the success of Welsh medal winners at the games.

"I call upon Welsh institutions . . . to urge the Olympic Games Authority to raise the Welsh Dragon, not the Union Jack, above individual Welsh medal winners, and to honour Welsh gold medal winners by playing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" [the Welsh National Anthem].

Mr Jones made the speech at Barry at the weekend
"I welcome other nations to join us in this aspiration, from Scotland to Cornwall, from Brittany to the Basque country and Catalonia, and indeed all the nations of the world that are fighting to retain their identity," he added.

He also used the speech to criticise the building of a military training academy at St Athan near Barry.

But Monmouthshire MP Mr Davies said Mr Jones was out of step with the majority of people in Wales.

"Only a tiny minority in Wales will agree with the Archdruid, who in my view is talking rubbish," he said.

"Most people are proud to be Welsh, but proud to be British too.

"There is a time to sing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau and many of us do so with gusto at rugby matches.

"But at the Olympic Games, Welsh athletes will be representing Great Britain, and the appropriate anthem is God Save The Queen."

King Arthur Pendragon loses human remains legal battle

Speaking before the hearing, King Arthur Pendragon said: ''Let those we lay to rest, stay in rest"
A druid who went to the High Court to try to stop researchers examining ancient human remains found at Stonehenge has failed in his legal bid.
King Arthur Pendragon wanted the remains found in 2008 to be reburied immediately.

He was fighting a Ministry of Justice decision allowing scientists at Sheffield University to analyse the samples for five more years.
His bid was rejected at a High Court hearing in London.
Mr Justice Wyn Williams refused to give Mr Pendragon permission to launch a judicial review action, ruling that there was insufficient evidence to show that the Ministry of Justice might have acted unreasonably.
Former soldier Mr Pendragon, 57, who changed his name by deed poll, was dressed in white druid robes and represented himself at the hearing.

The cremated remains of more than 40 bodies, thought to be at least 5,000 years old, were removed from a burial site at Stonehenge in 2008 and ministers gave permission to allow the bones to be examined at Sheffield University until 2015.

Mr Pendragon told the judge that the bones were remains of members of the "royal line" or "priest caste" who could have been the "founding fathers of this great nation".
He said he did not believe the bones would ever be returned to the site, and that his views were not being taken into account. His allegations were denied by the Ministry of Justice.

Talking prior to the hearing, Mr Pendragon said: "If we don't get them to, force them to, put them back, they're going to end up in Salisbury museum.
"I know that for a fact, and I'm not prepared to stand around and wait for them to come up with other excuses."

After the hearing, Mr Pendragon, who signed himself as Arthur Rex on court papers, vowed to continue his fight to have the remains reburied.
He called for a "day of action" at Stonehenge on Monday, which he said would be three years to the day since the remains were removed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-14630468

When I was an archaeologist in Canterbury - many decades ago - the rule for human remains was:

1) When discovered, they remain in situ for a representative from the coroners court to examine, to confirm it's approximate age and location (in short, to make sure it wasn't a modern stiff).
2) When confirmed as "old", i.e. pre-history, the remains were collected by the coroners office which would consult the museums in case they were of scientific interest.
3) If of no interest, "they'd be given a Christian Burial".

Now, the third process was only told to us diggers. No added information of where they were buried, the morality and so on. It did, however, stick in my craw at the time that any old remains were assumed to want "Christian Burial", regardless of Roman, Saxon etc. I was informed - by the Director - that it was from Victorian legislation. They considered Egyptian mummies etc. as "artifacts" but home-grown ancient things as a default Christian.

And its about time!

The Morrigan will be pleased.

Eisteddfod names Christine James first woman archdruid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18563191

Christine James hoped to serve as a "worthy example" for other women and Welsh learners

Related Stories

Rugby star Shane's Gorsedd honour
Ex-Archdruid of Wales dies at 82
Eisteddfod must change warns AM

The first woman ever to become archdruid will lead the 2013 National eisteddfod ceremonies, it is announced.

Christine James, originally from Tonypandy, will take on the role for the event in Denbigh.

Mrs James, also the first Welsh learner to hold the post, was the only person nominated for the ceremonial title.

She won the crown at the 2005 National Eisteddfod for a collection of poems inspired by art at the National Museum Cardiff.

Archdruid's duties

The archdruid is the leader of the Gorsedd of the Bards (the Gorsedd and the eisteddfod are independent of each other)
The archdruid leads the main ceremonies held during the eisteddfod week
Is elected for three years
The announcement was made on Saturday at the proclamation ceremony for the 2013 Denbighshire and District National Eisteddfod.

The archdruid traditionally hosts the main ceremonies at the annual Welsh cultural festival every August.

'Reason to rejoice'
The present archdruid Jim Parc Nest said: "Christine James is the first woman to be nominated as archdruid, and I am delighted to announce this today.

"Christine is also the first Welsh learner to be nominated to the post, which is also a reason for us to rejoice as a nation.

"Many congratulations to Christine on her nomination, and I very much hope that she will be addressing you all at the proclamation ceremony in twelve months' time."

Originally from Tonypandy in the Rhondda Valley, Ms James was brought up in an English-speaking household and learnt Welsh at school in Porth and Aberystwyth University.

She is a senior lecturer at the Hywel Teifi Academy, Swansea University, and lives in Cardiff.

She told BBC Wales: "We're making a little bit of history with my becoming the first female archdruid - I hope that I'll be a worthy example for many more female archdruids in the years to come.

"The Gorsedd as a body has been fairly conservative over the years but things are a-changing, to quote a famous song.

"I can't say I've got an agenda - my only aim at the moment is that I do good for the Gorsedd, for the eisteddfod, and the things for which those bodies stand for, in particular the Welsh language and Welsh culture.

"I'm very anxious that whatever I do as archdruid promotes those things."

Mrs James won the Crown at the Eryri and District National Eisteddfod in 2005 for her collection of poems, Lluniau Lliw, inspired by famous works of art at National Museum Cardiff.

She was admitted to the Gorsedd of Bards in 2002, and has been a member of the Gorsedd Board since 2010.

The current archdruid's period of office draws to a close at the end of the Vale of Glamorgan National Eisteddfod in August.

The new archdruid will take charge in June 2013 at the Proclamation Ceremony for the 2014 National Eisteddfod.

Stonehenge should display fake human remains, druid says
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-22438232

English Heritage plans to display the remains at the new Stonehenge visitor centre

A druid leader is calling for fake, rather than real, human remains to be put on display at Stonehenge.

In an open letter, King Arthur Pendragon criticised English Heritage for the "macabre manner" it plans to display "ancestral remains".

In 2011, he lost a High Court bid to have bones, found in 2008, reburied.

English Heritage said the remains were not from the 2008 excavation and their "presentation, treatment and storage" would follow strict UK guidelines.

The cremated remains of more than 40 bodies, thought to be at least 5,000 years old, were removed from a burial site at the ancient stone circle five years ago.

Start Quote

[It provides] visitors with a direct connection to the people who lived and worked there”

English Heritage
According to Mr Pendragon, the bones were the remains of members of the "royal line" or "priest caste" who could have been the "founding fathers of this great nation".

"There are cremated remains and a full skeleton from one of the barrows, which they're planning to put on display," he said.

"This is not only out of step with the feelings of many of the peoples and groups that I represent but is surely against the driving cultural principles of a Unesco World Heritage Site."

The £27m scheme to build a new visitor centre and close the road alongside the ancient monument, is due to be completed by the end of the year.

Mr Pendragon said visitors would be "appalled" and unless "models and replicas" were used he could "not rule out non-violent direct action against the proposals".

'Visitors expect remains'
But a spokeswoman for English Heritage said visitor research showed the "vast majority of museum visitors are comfortable with, and often expect to see, human remains".

"The remains of three human burials found in the landscape will be displayed with ample explanation along with archaeological objects, providing visitors with a direct connection to the people who lived and worked there," she said.

"As such, we believe they have a rightful place in the exhibition and their presentation, treatment and storage will follow strict guidelines set out by the UK government's Department of Culture, Media and Sport."

Does show a lack of respect. A nice plastic glow in the dark skeleton, or two.

Thoroughly enjoyed this older doco on Ben McBrady. He was a true shaman - a keeper of the knowledge of all tings. His theories regarding the Irish passage tombs and souterains as shelters from historical external calamities is interesting in light of the current theories that the passage tombs were actually closed up in antiquity as a response to meteoroid bombardment which turned the spiritual focus of mankind from the earth to the skies. I saw that idea in a doco from the Smithsonian channel. See if I can find that one for comparison.

In the meanwhilst:

There's an offshoot of Ben Brady's Old Gaelic Order called The Order of Druids in Ulster - spawned by one Clive Culbertson, the last herenach of Brady's knowledge and work.
Here's the background to the new order: http://orderofdruidsinulster.org/THE-OLD-GAELIC-ORDER.html

A Standing Stone, A Bull And Druids.

An investigation has begun into a west Cork farmer who reinstated a fallen Bronze Age standing stone on his land with the help of two druids.

The stone had been knocked over more than a decade ago by a bull who was using it as a scratching post.

The National Monuments Service confirmed it had begun an investigation into the actions of Donal Bohane on land rented from his cousin at Coolnagarrane, Skibbereen. It said the majority of archaeological monuments in Ireland, including standing stones, are protected under the National Monuments Acts and anyone wishing to carry out work on one must give two months’ written notice to the Minister for Heritage.

Mr Bohane told The Irish Times the stone had been pushed over by a bull in 2009 and had lain on the ground since then.

“Every day you would be passing, you would see the bull scratching himself on the stone – it was a nice itching spot but the problem was there was nothing around the stone. I was always told these stones were as much underground as overground but that was not the case with this one. The ground around it was eroded so the bull didn’t have much to do to knock it.”

He said he recently decided to see if he could re-instate it as he wondered if a spate of bad fortune on his farm was related to it being knocked over. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...one-reinstated-by-farmer-and-druids-1.4406418

I think he should have done the paperwork right.

Not involved a Bull and druids....

Its highly unlikely the Mithraetics or Celts were anything to do with the stone, is it?

Thoroughly enjoyed this older doco on Ben McBrady. He was a true shaman - a keeper of the knowledge of all tings. His theories regarding the Irish passage tombs and souterains as shelters from historical external calamities is interesting in light of the current theories that the passage tombs were actually closed up in antiquity as a response to meteoroid bombardment which turned the spiritual focus of mankind from the earth to the skies. I saw that idea in a doco from the Smithsonian channel. See if I can find that one for comparison.

In the meanwhilst:

There's an offshoot of Ben Brady's Old Gaelic Order called The Order of Druids in Ulster - spawned by one Clive Culbertson, the last herenach of Brady's knowledge and work.
Here's the background to the new order: http://orderofdruidsinulster.org/THE-OLD-GAELIC-ORDER.html

He's saying that telepathic communication was before actual vocal communication. Unless I've got this wrong but wearing a big jumper does not make you right.

Sorry I just watched about 5 minutes of that and he makes Von Daniken look sensible - he's just making it up as he goes along.

Ritual sacrifice is a thing that he says never happened.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/kingship-and-sacrifice#:~:text=Ritual human sacrifice in ancient,flesh clinging to their bones.

He has no connection with a lost religion - we should be very skeptical about his ideas.

Last edited:
Those Druids again.

Ireland’s modern druids: ‘There is hidden knowledge you are asked not to share’

The Tetteroos made news earlier this winter when they were asked by a West Cork farmer, Donal Bohane, to participate in a stone-raising ceremony. In 2009, a bull had toppled a Bronze Age standing stone on family land near Skibbereen. Bohane wanted to reinstate it.

“He wanted to restore the stone, and also restore his fortunes, because he had had a run of bad luck since,” Jan explains. “His fields had flooded, he missed the harvest, he had disease in his cattle.”

So what is a druid? What qualities do they have that a farmer with a fallen ancient stone calls upon them to help restore his fortunes?

“A druid in the modern days is a person who has developed some knowledge,”Jan says. “Who has learned for years. Who has got knowledge about nature, spirituality, the other world, history, philosophy, the arts; and who makes that a central part of his life. All the decisions he makes in his life more or less derive from that. For me, a druid is someone who feels a deep connection with Mother Earth and with the land, and what’s on the land: stones, animals, mountains. It’s a way of life. It’s to feel connected to nature,” Karen says.

The couple, who are both Dutch, met within the druid community in the Netherlands 13 years ago. It’s a community with its own vocabulary. A “grove” is a local group, which is facilitated by a druid who has completed certain studies. Not everyone in the grove is a druid; it includes people who are simply curious and interested in learning more. In the Netherlands. Jan was one of the founders of a grove there, which had 400 members, including Karen, which is how they met.

Once you’ve joined a grove, and wish to become a druid, there is a process to follow. “You start your study at the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids,” Jan explains. “The order connects over 20,000 individuals, either studying, or who have completed, the study of druidery.”

These 20,000 people are located all over the world. “Our worldwide gatherings are in Glastonbury, also known as Avalon. The order is located in the UK, so most are in the UK. I know of big groups in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy. There are smaller groups in Australia and the United States.” The Tetteroos know at least six other practising druids living in Kerry alone.

Jan explains that each of the three elements of the order focuses on a different area of study. “The bard is based on study of the arts and performing arts; the ovates on the spiritual world, and the druid on studies in philosophy, myth and legend.”

What is an “ovate”?

“Like a Celtic shaman.” ...

In January, the Tetteroos will be starting their own online “druidist” course, for those interested in learning more. “It will be an online college grove,” Jan says. “If you complete it, by the end you will be druidist.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...nowledge-you-are-asked-not-to-share-1.4440913

It sounds much less interesting than Freemasonry.

and where does STEM come into it?

Back