• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dummy The Witch

Dick Turpin

Justified & Ancient
At the bottom of my front garden, is a brook, beyond that the main road that runs through my village, and beyond that a long since abandoned pub.

In the 1860’s a drunken mob of men and women, attacked a local cunning man ( who was nicknamed Dummy the Witch by the villages ) in the now disused pub, beat him senseless and tried to “swim” him in the brook as a witch.

The poor man died of his injuries the following day, and the police subsequently arrested two members of the mob and tried them under an ancient witch law, which apparently was one of the last Witch trials held in England.

Now to think this happened just yards from my front door, Is pretty cool, I think.

Anyway, on Monday evening I took the dog for his usual evening walk, in which the route I take passes the old pub, and got chatting to an old guy also walking his dog.

The old chap mentioned the Dummy the witch case, and told me that on the evening of the anniversary of the beating, ( 3rd September ) a dark shadow can be seen leaving the pub, cross the road, and then disappear into the brook.

Now, I’m pretty sure this is just old village folklore, however on Monday the 3rd of September, I shall take a garden chair and a flask of tea to the bottom of my front garden and wait to see if anything happens.

I shall let you know how I get on.

Others may have the same idea so if I were you, I'd take a long, dark coat and run out from behind the pub, dive into the ditch beside the brook and belly crawl up your garden into your house. Then just wait for the local paper to report the sightings of a dark shadowy figure and how the black shape "disappeared" into the brook having nowhere it could possible go.

Others may have the same idea so if I were you, I'd take a long, dark coat and run out from behind the pub, dive into the ditch beside the brook and belly crawl up your garden into your house. Then just wait for the local paper to report the sightings of a dark shadowy figure and how the black shape "disappeared" into the brook having nowhere it could possible go.

I tried that last September the 3rd ……..the neighbours haven’t spoken to me since.!!!!

“ Oh look Bert it’s that weirdo from next door crawling up his front lawn again”

Now I'm wondering whether the Dummy the Witch episode represents the latest mob-killing (as opposed to formal execution) of a purported witch to have occurred in the UK. :thought:

Thanks for that Enola.

The Judge couldn’t have thought very much of poor old dummy, they only got 6 months each.
Yes, shocking that they weren't given the proper sentence.

Back