• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ogdred Weary

ᛟᛒᛊᛏᛁᚾᚨᛏᛖ ᚲᛁᛗᚱᛁᚲ
Probably deserves its own thread, the trailer leaked earlier but has since been taken down. It was in poor quality and didn't give much away. The Fremen looking pensive and many shots of Arakis, there was a fat bloke in mud, Barron Harkonen perhaps? It'll probably be properly released in the next day or so.

No Shai Hulud, sadly.

The Pink Floyd cover can absolutely do one, and the main character (should I know the actor?) sounds a mite to "Whoa, Bro..." for me.

Visually, however, it looks very good.

Latest trailer with a sandworm and Pink Floyd

Will watch this tomorrow on a bigger screen, for MAXIMUM WORMAGE, I'm disappointed to learn that they have adopted the recent cliche of "cover of a famous song" for the trailer.

It only took 45 years for Pink Floyd's tunes to be married up to Dune visuals after the Jodorowski film never got off the ground!

As someone who read the book more than once, but many years ago, l don’t think that the trailer really sells the concept to the Dune virgin. lt looks excellent, though - loved the Bene Gesserit.

maximus otter

A few years ago I listened to a podcast which covered the making of Star Wars in great depth, the host made the point of how deeply indebted Lucas was to Dune. I'd never made the connection despite having read the book and seen the film, the former almost twenty years ago and the latter longer than that. Luke starts life on a desert planet partially down to Dune, and Tunisia being a handy plane ride from London of course, Lucas' Chronicle of the Whils which exists more in his head than anywhere else is also taken from the scared writings in Dune - I forget their name.

I'd strongly recommend Arrival and Bladerunner 2049 by Villenuve, Enemy is very good as well, although the subject matter is further removed than the other two. I'm really looking forward to this, I fear it will be another expensive bomb like BR 2049, an artistic success but a commercial failure. That said, Covid could actually save it: people will have been really starved of cinema by December, especially films with spectacle. That's assuming cinemas are even open then...

Latest trailer with a sandworm and Pink Floyd
I read the books (well, the initial 6) some years back, and by the end, felt utterly cheated. Pretentious gibberish, with hardly anything explained, I thought. However, I know that my opinion seems at odds with the rest of the world, and I'd like to find out what others see in the story. Fortunately, there's more action (and spaceships!) in that trailer than I remember from all the hours I frittered away on the books, so I might well check this film out. Surely there's a decent tale ready to break out, amongst all the pseudo-religious nonsense?

I read the books (well, the initial 6) some years back, and by the end, felt utterly cheated. Pretentious gibberish, with hardly anything explained, I thought. However, I know that my opinion seems at odds with the rest of the world, and I'd like to find out what others see in the story. Fortunately, there's more action (and spaceships!) in that trailer than I remember from all the hours I frittered away on the books, so I might well check this film out. Surely there's a decent tale ready to break out, amongst all the pseudo-religious nonsense?

I'm like you, I read the book when I was a student and couldn't see what the fuss was about. I tried again a few years back and gave up pretty quickly.

I liked the trailer until the cheesy music kicked in (yep such a cheesy version that I didn't realise what it was based on, as I'm sure it would be heresy to call Pink Floyd cheesy). I don't usually care for films where the special effects are more important than the plot. But by the look of these they're evoking an entirely different world, I was drawn in. I'm another who tried to read the book as a teenager and gave up. (Likewise, who tried to watch Lynch's version and gave up). So I'm intrigued really.

(Peripart, you had to read six books before you decided you didn't like them??! I haven't that kind of patience myself. Or maybe I'm too quick to be judgemental : )

Peripart, you had to read six books before you decided you didn't like them??! I haven't that kind of patience myself. Or maybe I'm too quick to be judgemental : )
I'd bought the 6 as a set, so it wasn't as if I found the first one to be terrible, and then bought another 5! Since I'd paid for the lot, and I really wanted to like them, I persevered.

I was so disappointed, though, I swiftly gave them away to the first FTMB member that wanted them. I even paid the postage!

Yes yes dune fillum who me running about excitedly.Saw the first one not bad.
Hope this one will be better.And James Bond coming out as well

Hmm i liked the first two but I think he was just milking it for all it was worth after that.
Got a bit bored with SF like the Abercrombie books though

No word on who's playing Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen then? Might be Sting - he's not dead.

No word on who's playing Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen then? Might be Sting - he's not dead.

Bet he can still fit into those interstellar underpants.

Count me in as a non-Dune-fan, I read the first book and almost cried with boredom. But I quite like the Lynch movie for its bonkers-ness. The miniseries from about 20 years ago was pretty dull.

I’m looking forward to it.
I read all the books as a teenager In the 70s.
Heck I even liked the Lynch version.

Same here, I think it was the 80s and I liked the Lynch film. I stopped at the first trilogy though: Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune. I can't say I thought CoD was bad but I just didn't feel like reading any more in the series.

Looks like a good cast though I'm not sure why we need another version of the film.....I watched a 3 part tv version that was on HBO or Showtime some years back that I thought was pretty good.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

I have trouble believing that limp lettuce leaf Timothée Chalamet could punch his way out of a wet paper bag, never mind lead an interstellar revolution (speaking as a limp lettuce leaf myself). Plus there won't be this madness:

Peter Puppy would be a better substitute.

A few years ago I listened to a podcast which covered the making of Star Wars in great depth, the host made the point of how deeply indebted Lucas was to Dune. I'd never made the connection despite having read the book and seen the film, the former almost twenty years ago and the latter longer than that. Luke starts life on a desert planet partially down to Dune, and Tunisia being a handy plane ride from London of course, Lucas' Chronicle of the Whils which exists more in his head than anywhere else is also taken from the scared writings in Dune - I forget their name.
Not to mentioned the spice mines of Kessel.

Anyone remember the action figures for the Lynch film:

dune fig.jpg

my guess is they didn't sell many.

I recall seeing them in shops at the time as a young child and realising they were from a film but had no idea what the film was or when it was out or anything like that. It was many years later I discovered the existence of the film and retroactively put two and two together.

Anyone remember the action figures for the Lynch film:

View attachment 29671

my guess is they didn't sell many.

I recall seeing them in shops at the time as a young child and realising they were from a film but had no idea what the film was or when it was out or anything like that. It was many years later I discovered the existence of the film and retroactively put two and two together.
I didn't know those existed. I reckon they're as rare as rocking horse poop and may be worth a LOT.

Back