• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'll own up! I'm a Frank Herbert & Dune fangirl. I love the novels, even the later ones. I like the long view take on everything, the inclusion of ecology as the key theme (also needs a long view) and the development of spiritual practices as an epic story.

The previous Lynch film and the Sci-Fi channel miniseries both had pluses and minuses; the film had better casting but the miniseries had better exposition and tempo. In neither was the central character of Duncan Idaho correctly cast, IMO.

By the last few novels, written up by Brian Herbert from notes left by Frank Herbert, it becomes clear that most important character is Duncan himself

Oh, Im glad you broght the action figures up.

I was wondering where they were. in fact I mentioned it to a fan; this was 25 years ago.

But I recall all the toyshops and cornerstores were FULL of them; what happened to them all?

(And the Asterix action figures...)

Someone asked Alejandro Jodorowsky what he thought of the new Dune trailer:
News story

Basically, he, as an auteur, would have made his version amazing, and Villeneuve, as a studio filmmaker, is going to play it safe, according to Al. I kind of get what he means while still thinking he would say that, wouldn't he?

Someone asked Alejandro Jodorowsky what he thought of the new Dune trailer:
News story

Basically, he, as an auteur, would have made his version amazing, and Villeneuve, as a studio filmmaker, is going to play it safe, according to Al. I kind of get what he means while still thinking he would say that, wouldn't he?
Jod basically failed to get it together when he had the chance. He did commission a lot of artwork in prep for a film, but sadly his version never got made.

Denis Villeneuve pollution scale:

vilpol.png

Dune just leaves me cold. I did like the design of the Lynch film but I find the story a bit dull until a worm shows up.
And the last Blade Runner film filled me with disappointment and boredom in equal measures so I’ll probably skip the whole thing.

I've just watched the new trailer and from that I think it looks like it could be good, it looks like it has the director's sort of clinical style that his Blade Runner has. I love Dune so I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Jod basically failed to get it together when he had the chance. He did commission a lot of artwork in prep for a film, but sadly his version never got made.

There's a very good documentary about it. If he had completed his film, it probably wouldn't have resembled Herbert's story very much.

There's a very good documentary about it. If he had completed his film, it probably wouldn't have resembled Herbert's story very much.
Perhaps just as well that it never got made.

The new Dune has been delayed a whole year to NEXT October. I suppose we can be optimistic that the studios believe there will still be cinemas open then. Otherwise, you'll be watching its premiere on your phone in 2022.

The new Dune has been delayed a whole year to NEXT October. I suppose we can be optimistic that the studios believe there will still be cinemas open then. Otherwise, you'll be watching its premiere on your phone in 2022.

By then, A.I.s will be watching the film, on the devices they exist on. We will be extinct.

Guess we’d better change the title of this thread then!

I enjoyed the Lynch film as its own action/sci-fi movie. The differences between the book and the film being too glaring for me, and I'm no fanboy of the Dune novels; I only read the first one and wasn't inspired to read others until I found a second-hand copy of Dune Messiah, which left me cold.
I missed out on watching the TV series but, again, not too fussed by this. It looked snazzy though.
Now, this version looks like it's stuck to the novel: the personal shields, blades favoured as weapons, the sarducar looking a bit tasty etc. I'm intrigued but not enough to pay the cinema price.

I heard that they're planning to inject you with the overdue movie of your choice when you get your Covid vaccine.

I read the books (well, the initial 6) some years back, and by the end, felt utterly cheated. Pretentious gibberish, with hardly anything explained, I thought. However, I know that my opinion seems at odds with the rest of the world, and I'd like to find out what others see in the story. Fortunately, there's more action (and spaceships!) in that trailer than I remember from all the hours I frittered away on the books, so I might well check this film out. Surely there's a decent tale ready to break out, amongst all the pseudo-religious nonsense?

I agree, all my peer group went mad about the books but yeah, I found them inpenetrable pseudo religious rubbish

I agree, all my peer group went mad about the books but yeah, I found them inpenetrable pseudo religious rubbish
My hopes were probably unfairly raised by the consensus that this was "classic sci-fi". It's not proper sci-fi to me, possibly not even a decent space opera. I'm not saying that that's the reason for my disappointment, but if Dune had been marketed as fantasy (albeit with space-y overtones) from the get-go, I might have given it a fairer crack.

I dunno, I've read Timothée described as a twink hero and I doubt that's what Herbert had in mind.

Back