• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dune: Your Views

Dune : work of genius or waste of ink?

• Fantastic futuristic epic which has a lot to say about today's politics

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Confused interminable twaddle with no sense of humanity

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • An OK read, not a five-star classic but pretty good

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
I enjoyed Dune.....long time ago but I do recall being entertained. But as several have mentioned I'm also a Culture series fan....Banks scifi
books are the best I have ever read in the space opera genre.

The trailer to the 2021 film looks promising but ...
May I respectfully propose that you gloriously-understate what I've already absorbed from that very source: perhaps there will ultimately be disappointment when the film itself actually screens, but, wow.....this looks so good so far....

Looks great, I agree, but I think the cover-version of Pink Floyd sent warning bells subconsciously.
At least the Sarducar look less like welders on a plague ship and the armour fits the whole idea that blades are used more than projectile weapons.
I'm interested to see their take on the Navigators.

I saw the thread title and thought "oh cool, that's that film about the chap in the car who gets chased up a mountain by a truck".

Then I read the survey options, and the first post, and realised I was thinking of a different film altogether. :mcoat:

I saw Dune (1984) again last at the Cinema. As impressive as ever if a bit whacky. I loved the retro, steampunkish design of ships, furnishings and uniforms. A bit reminiscent of the old Flash Gordon serials in some way, especially when they were on wormback. Looking forward to the new one.

The military Prescience Of Dune.

CARL VON CLAUSEWITZ and Frank Herbert both understood the power of schwerpunkt.

A 19th-century theorist revered among military geeks the way Paul Brown is revered among football coaches, Clausewitz wrote that each war has a center of gravity—which is how schwerpunkt is usually translated—and that victory often flows to the strategist who identifies and seizes it. Depending on the type of conflict, the center of gravity might be an enemy’s logistics base or field army, a nation’s capital, or even an individual (see: Osama bin Laden in the war with al Qaeda). Whatever form it takes, a schwerpunkt is “the hub of all power and movement, on which everything depends,” Clausewitz wrote.

In Dune, it’s the spice.

In a world where computers and artificial intelligence have been banned, the spice, or “melange,” enables pilots to fold space, traversing galaxies and time. The drug comes only from the planet Arrakis, and when Duke Leto Atreides ventures there to secure it, he’s quickly overthrown by Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. The Baron, though, understands spice only as a commodity. In a classic case of colonial shortsightedness, he exploits it to fund his empire, upsetting the Fremen locals in the process. But Paul Atreides, the Duke’s exiled son, knows a schwerpunkt when he sees it. Following his father’s ouster, he befriends the Fremen, becomes their messiah, gains control of spice production, reclaims Arrakis, and becomes emperor of the known universe. ...

https://www.wired.com/story/dune-spice-wars-military-analysis/

https://www.wired.com/story/the-dune-legacy/

Back