Dust Devils & Whirlwinds

ghughesarch

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
rather reminiscent of various eye-witness reports of 'flying haystacks', the 'wool roller' and such like...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36837219
West Sussex dust devil: Farm's hay sent into spin
A farmer has captured video pictures of hay being lifted into the air by a swirling wind.
Tim Bargman shot the images of a dust devil at Canfields Farm, Rudgwick, West Sussex.
His wife Sarah said dust devils were quite common on the farm, but could not usually be seen.
The BBC Weather Centre said they could occur anywhere there was warm air and a slight breeze.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that. A tiny bit eerie too I thought.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Bet some people could mistake those for ghosts at a distance

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
I've seen these a few times, on farms, especially within large enclosures. Strips of torn fertiliser sacks, feathers, crop debris and dust give these pneumanifestations a solidity and presense that's scary as hell, now, in the 21st century.

If I was a 12th century peasant, I might need to burn down a few villages, or invade a few neighbouring counties, following a sign like this. Nowadays people grab for Twitter and Facebook, not so long ago it would've been tarry torches, pitchforks and swords.....

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I've seen these a few times, on farms, especially within large enclosures. Strips of torn fertiliser sacks, feathers, crop debris and dust give these pneumanifestations a solidity and presense that's scary as hell, now, in the 21st century.

If I was a 12th century peasant, I might need to burn down a few villages, or invade a few neighbouring counties, following a sign like this. Nowadays people grab for Twitter and Facebook, not so long ago it would've been tarry torches, pitchforks and swords.....
Yeah!!!!! Let's burn Twitter!!!

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
Oh, I've a particular fondness for dust devils and leaf devils! :) There are Native American and some African legends that say they are wandering spirits.

In West Texas, you can see lots of them in the fields, these red dust funnels tooling up and down the furrows. The ones around here are usually white, so they do look a bit like ghosts.

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Watch dust-devil sends hay flying through Leicestershire field.

A farmer said it was "a real spectacle" when his neat rows of hay, which were ready for bailing, started flying in the air.

James Ludlam, farmer at Cattows Farm, in Heather, Leicestershire, said the whirlwind travelled the length of the field last Wednesday afternoon.

"I have seen them on a smaller scale, but I have never seen anything take it that high in the sky. It is the biggest one I have seen in at least 20 years," he added.

BBC weather expert Emma Boorman said it was not a tornado, as there would be cloud to the ground. However, she said this looked like a form of "dust devil" but with hay. (c) BBC 2017.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That looks surreal.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
That must be a whirlwind rather than a tornado (albeit a very strong one!)

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Thats some sort of parachute, or huge sheet, oh, you mean the wind is giving it the shape oops, i sit corrected

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I was looking at the farmers one and this song came to mind

Afton Sinclaret

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Oh, I've a particular fondness for dust devils and leaf devils! :) There are Native American and some African legends that say they are wandering spirits.

In West Texas, you can see lots of them in the fields, these red dust funnels tooling up and down the furrows. The ones around here are usually white, so they do look a bit like ghosts.
They are common in the Mojave, as well, and weird to behold as they travel across the sandy mesas. As slight as they can look from the distance, you sure feel it when they go over your house!

A great place to see a half-dozen dust devils at a time is in Mojave Trails National Monument, along old Route 66 or Amboy road. Some of them will wander around the desert many miles away for 10 minutes at a time, wreaking havoc through the sand and creosote and quail nests!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This seems to be the most appropriate thread for posting this ...

It's a report (with video) of a 'snownado' - a dust devil kicking up powdery snow rather than earthen dust ...

Ohio couple capture snownado footage in countryside
A couple driving through the Ohio countryside captured video of an unusual event -- a snownado whirlwind whipping snow through the air.

‎Kristin Ashalee Mattox posted a video to Facebook showing what she witnessed while driving through the countryside near Coshocton.

The video shows a snownado, aka a snow devil -- a whirlwind spinning snow like a mini tornado.

"We saw a Snownado or a Snow Devil today on our way home from Coshocton, OH on SR 83!!" Mattox wrote. "According to the Internet these are very rare and only a handful have ever been caught on camera!! Very cool!!!"
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0.../?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=4

Directly Linked YouTube Video:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting variation, illustrating a single whirlwind clothing itself in different 'elements' ...

A wildfire on the bank of the Colorado River in California generates a 'firenado' (whirlwind amidst flames). As the vortex intensifies and refines itself into a well-defined funnel it drifts out over the river and continues as a waterspout.
Firenado turns into waterspout in the Colorado River
An Arizona couple captured video of a firenado that swept across the Colorado River and turned into a waterspout.

The video, captured Saturday by Chris and Anne Mackie, shows a brush fireacross the river near Blythe, Calif., spawning a swirling firenado.

The whirlwind moves out toward the water, where it becomes a waterspout.

The unusual sight grabs the attention of nearby boaters and water skiers, who can be seen stopping to gawk at the whirlwind.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0.../?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=2

VIDSO:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a case from India. A dust devil sprouts up suddenly, it grows to daunting size, people scatter, and the dust devil dissipates - all in just a few seconds.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a dust devil of this size pop up and fade out so fast. The video is available at the link.
Dust devil interrupts sports day event at India college

A college sports day at an Indian school was interrupted by a dust devil that sprouted on the volleyball court.

Witnesses at St. Berchmans College in Kottayam captured video Tuesday when the volleyball game, part of the school's college sports day event, was interrupted by a whirlwind whipping sand up through the air.

Students are seen running for cover in the video as the dust devil sweeps across the area.

The witnesses said the dust devil dissipated after only a few seconds.
SOURCE (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ay-event-at-India-college/6311581706685/?sl=5